ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning April 16th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Glad you are well on the way to Healing, Patricia. Can you do any gentle walking in the sunshine as you are missing your exercise or is it too soon ?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It’s good to see you again, arcticfox. I’m so sorry to hear of your injury and how the people who should have supported you fled in your hour of need. It’s a sad reality that a lot of people find it too difficult to deal with the mental, physical and emotional challenges of ill-health. As I recall you’re a bit geographically isolated as it is with limited access to ingredients. I think your plan to get back to basics and focus on BSD-friendly foods before dealing with the calorie restriction is a good one.

Best of luck and keep posting!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Oh I do love you, Wendy – you’re so supportive and I adore my title! My friend is actually very supportive and doesn’t push me on anything (in fact when I first started, she bought the book too but hasn’t quite started yet), I’m more worried about myself and my own willpower. I was planning on not eating before I went to have as many calories available but I think you’re right. Turning up hungry when there are nibbles out is too much temptation. I’m very pleased to be going as you’re right, I couldn’t do this a while ago although there will be lots of other people there that I don’t know so will be an interesting challenge but I’m up for all aspects of it! That said – I thought I would take one square of dark chocolate with me as a sort of Easter treat and to feel like I’m not missing out too much. What percentage should I be looking for? Down to 175.8 this morning which makes me very happy 🙂

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Wendy, I have been for a walk to the local shop today in the boot. All went well, I had a chat with the staff there, we know each other well. No one even mentioned the boot! Obviously I was walking very normally!

I found a pair of stiff boots for walking around indoors, and it’s so nice.

I can do the flexibility exercises most of the time; next challenge is to go for increasing strength. Fortunately, I won’t have lost much as I was in the boot for less than 2 weeks.

I was watching Derry Girls this afternoon and started crying, poor Lyra, the mess is kicking off again.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Birdy, you need to write a novel, be the Bridget Jones of the 800! I feel like I was watching you watch the single Chocolate bars (they met their match in you 😁)

I always cheer up reading our thread.

Allie, Wendy looking out for us young ‘uns.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I think I am a bit of Bridget Jones but don’t think I would be able to write a book🤣🤣💞🦜

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have been doing better the last few days with my eating. The carb cravings have been quite bad so I think that shows just how out of hand my eating has been. I’ve made an asparagus frittata today so that should help with good choices over the next couple of days.
    Esnecca, you have a good memory. It can be a bit difficult to find certain things as the culture is a bit meat and potatoes here. One good thing though is that we also have quite a large South Asian population so I’ve been able to find lots of great spices and other ingredients and have been experimenting with curries and such at home. I managed to have a good spell in the autumn when I put a fair amount of veg away in the freezer and I’m tapping into that now that there isn’t much in the way of fresh veg available.

Wendy, your suggestion of getting groceries delivered was a good one. There is one supermarket here that delivers, but I never thought of using them, I guess as I never normally shop there due to them being more expensive. I think I’ve figured out when to go to my regular supermarket now when it is less busy and that really helps. Interestingly, once I got further into my rehab, my physio was actually asking me to go grocery shopping as part of my brain retraining and checking in with me each week to see if there was any improvement, so I did feel I had to go. It was only recently that I discovered that there are online videos of grocery shopping that you can use to simulate the real thing with the advantage that you can turn it off when it becomes overwhelming. That would have been so much better in the early stages as in real life I would suddenly get overwhelmed by the lights, noise, colourful packets on shelves and human projectiles in the form of young children running about and distracted people with giant shopping trolleys threatening to knock me off balance and then had to finish shopping as quickly as possible in order to get out of there.

Anyway, I’m just going to koko for a bit until I feel like I’m back on track and then see what further adjustments I’ll need to make from there.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Goodness articfox it’s tough for you . I salute your determination. I understand you need to push yourself to encourage your recovery but your grocery shop sounds so distressing and I’m glad you have found a more manageable time.

Are you ok to batch cook ? Lots of green veg, eggs are easy to whip up . Love the sound of your curries.You can freeze those too.

Keep checking in with us. Remember you will never be alone on here and we are all rooting for you and your recovery.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Cor blimey 😉 it’s looking scorchio in the Uk this weekend, especially in the SE Patricia. You get out for a gentle walk in that sunshine, girl ! 😉 Staedy does it.You are still healing.
    I hope it stays fine for Brighton mid week !
    I love your saying we are looking out for the Young Uns Patricia 🙂 I am only 60 years young and Allie is a VERY young 70 year old. Some people are saying that I look younger after discarding weight .I’ll take that 😉

Have a great weeeknd everyone.

Kirsten your honour ..thinking of you. Well done on your discard !! Stay focused and enjoy your social event …you are well prepared. I wouldn’t eat any dark choc under 85% . Lindt 90% and 99% is great and I also have a stock of 95% organic xx
    Enjoy yourself !

• posted by Birdy76
    on

West Sussex is so sunny at the moment and I have my fingers crossed that it stays that way for you Wendleg. I only live 25miles from Brighton and it is sunny there at the moment. Whatever the weather I am sure it will still be an awesome trip. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

There is white wine chilling in the fridge 😱😐😔😈, I did however buy some more bottles of sparkling water, fresh limes and mint. Not gonna lie though it is going to be hard watching that condensation slide down his wine glass later😭. 💞🦜

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Wendy, I’m going out in my new mustard dress with elderflowers, bright pink “snowdrops”, and white chrysanthemums. I don’t wear earrings, just never got on with them.
    Suncream on, sunglasses and floppy hat – what a lovely day.
    We are the young uns, we are all feeling better, more energetic and lighter on our feet.
    I’m singing “We are young, we are green, clean our teeth…” Supergrass, Alright. Teatowels at the ready!
    Or whatever is handy on holidays, darling Wendy, have a great time.
    _______
    Articfox, I went shopping with DH 3 days ago, and even though I thought I was steady, and haven’t had any balance issues with my space boot, the number of near misses, and shoving that is normal in a supermarket… It’s not a pleasant or safe experience.

In UK, most supermarkets have a liaison who will meet you in advance for shopping support. They walk with you, and pick stuff up that you can’t reach. They can stand by, and ensure that you have a place to sit when that is necessary. That way, they sell you what you need, and you are not restricted to the supermarket online experience. Give your preferred supermarket a call, maybe they can do this for you. They might even deliver a shopping list on a good will basis if you live locally.

When it comes to online fresh food, guess what is picked on your behalf? It’s the stuff they can’t sell to you if you turn up yourself. They may say you can refuse it and get a voucher in exchange, but the delivery service won’t wait for you to inspect everything.
    Online shopping has it’s place for heavy stuff, 5l tins of olive oil, tinned stuff etc, but for fresh food you eat better if you pick it for yourself.
    ______
    Birdy I bought a book on growing salad and herbs. Mint, sage and thyme parsley for starters I think.
    Snap! I have the sparkling water, lemon and nuts for me, the Easter visitors get the white wine!
    ______

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Oh good Patricia can you tell me the title please.

Patricia can I just say something about the online shopping, I used to be an online shopper until I started working nights three weeks ago, I can’t talk for every shopper at my store , but myself and most of the others would never do the ‘let’s get rid of the rubbish’. I shopped every shop with the pretence I was shopping for myself. If the fresh fruit and veg looked rubbish I would either substitute it or say it was not available. Meats I would choose the longest date we had possible. Please don’t think I am having a dig but I wanted you to know that that is not always the case.😉. My motto in life is treat others how you would like to be treated.😉❤️💞🦜

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi birdy, “Salads for small gardens” Larkcom. That’s the book I’m reading.
    Good to hear that good hearted people are allowed use their discretion in packing the shopping in your experience. It could be that procedures have improved in the last few years also, but Tesco has had a bad reputation in my area.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Patricia thankfully I work for the other big supermarket🤣🤣. I despise Tesco’s and have done for many years going back to Christmas or two where I couldn’t get basic ingredients! My friend has had to stop her online shopping at Tesco’s too as like you say it has been very bad for fresh items. Thank you for the book I will go order it. 💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks , Wendy! Will go source some choc today to be prepared for tomorrow.
    ArcticFox – if it’s not too nosy, can I ask where you live? Although possibly your name gives it away a little!
    Happy Easter 🐰🐣🐇 all!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi this is a call out to GreenGal hope you are well hun? Haven’t heard from you in a while. Sending hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi lovely ladies, I’m sorry to report I’m back from my holiday wearing an extra 5 packs of butter. Too much wine and the carbs crept in towards the end of the week when the weather turned nasty.
    It’s not a total disaster but I deserve a big kick up the bum. I didn’t even enjoy most of it. Hohum!
    Feeling motivated to get this butter moving and get back on track. No more excuses.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .I see lots of activitiy on the forums again , it’s great ! Lots of wardrobe sorting and holiday returners !
    Kazzee’s Road trip thread is getting busy again too !

Patricia, your mustard dress sounds fab ! I bet I have matching earrings for that outfit in my collection 😉
    I am packing for the Uk and needing warmer clothes as it is due to be a bit fresh . I won’t take many dresses .It will be trousers and comfy walking shoes. Thinking of Brighton sea front 😉

Welcome back Skipping ! Melt that butter !

How are you doing Kirsten your honour ? Waiting to hear about the Easter célébrations.

As you know I will be away from tomorrow until Saturday 4th May. I will check the forum on my phone and post when I can.
    Allie mentioned if someone was happy to take over hosting of the thread ? Any décisions ?
    Birdy did you say you would be happy hosting ? It would be for One Week at a Time beginning 23rd April

Back to my sorting and packing now xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Wendy I am happy too, just tell me what I need to do? If my thinking is right I start a new thread on the 23rd with the same title and then be on hand to reply and keep it going? I hope you have a most awesome break and yes a very good idea to dress for the fresh seafront. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s it Birdy. Maybe later on today you could set up the new thread so it’s ready for the switch over ?

Then just do with Birdy energy and enthusiasm as you have been doing since you joined us 😉 Has it only been 3 weeks ? Feels like you have been with us much much longer!
    Duckie should be back from her cruise now so I am sure she will be checking in very soon. We have” lost “a few people along the way but I am always hopeful they will be back. Thinking of you Eclectic…..and of course Amz.I wish she would let us know how she is doing xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

We’re on the cusp of a new weekly thread, kids! Thank you sincerely, Wendy, for bring your knowledge, kindness
    and compassion to bear in recent weeks. You have a real gift for hosting…but time to relax into your holiday now 🙂

April is a big month for vacations, and many of the experienced BSDers are taking advantage of it. However, there
    are a few of us around, so know that you can count on us Birdy! You are sweet to step up and keep our thread
    chugging along. I hope to see EVERYONE moving over to the new thread tomorrow! Hope to see newcomers
    joining us, too 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi everyone I have started the next weeks thread beginning April 23rd and I look forward to hosting it for you in Wendleg’s absence. I hope you will all join me in wishing this lovely lady a safe trip and happy holiday. Have fun Wendleg and enjoy the lanes! Lots of lovely sparkling things to see and buy. See you all on the new thread guys, I have found this thread invaluable since starting my journey. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wendleg I am going into my fourth week now, but yes feel like I have been at home on here for much longer. Thank you to al, of you that have spurred me on and given me amazing invaluable information. You all amazing and I don’t know what any of us would bro with out you all. Happy holidays hun 💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Allie you are my a star 🌟 x Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi all – welcome back Skipping, I’m in the same place as you but we will soon discard it. Wendy, Your Honor did not behave as befits her position yesterday. Too many people, I got anxious and overate. Enough said, not going to dwell on it and I’m back on track today. Have a lovely holiday!! See you all on the next thread

• posted by Kerri the kiwi
    on

Hi guys. I’m new here. Today is 3 1/2 weeks for me and I’m down 10kgs with a 7cm loss on my waist and 4 off my hips. I’m actually enjoying it and loving the food I’m eating. Spent a lot of time on pinterest and other sites getting inspiration and adapting it where needed. I no longer have acid reflux and am looking forward to seeing my blood profiles July 1st.
    I’m a huge foodie and here in New Zealand sharing kai (food) is a culture. My coworkers look forward each day to see what I’m bringing in and have a taste. They often can’t believe that what I’m eating is “okay for a diet” or healthy because it’s so good and filling. I’ve even been asked to start a recipe log!
    I’m thankful to find a thread like this that is so positive and enthusiastic.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kerri,
    Welcome to the forum, its a lovely supportive atmosphere here, with a wide range of members from newcomers to those who have been successfully maintaining for some years. There are no moderators taking part in the forum, but plenty of people happy to share their experience and answer questions if you need help.

For the benefit of those who want to take this journey one step at a time we run between us a weekly thread, with the name in the format “One Week At a Time Beginning …..” and the date changes each week with the new thread traditionally starting on a Tuesday (but it happened to be monday this week) – I am afraid you posted on an old thread, why not join us on the current one.
    There is also a thread with Road Trip in the title which is for those who want to make plans for a longer term view.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Welcome, Kerri! I’m a kiwi too (from Taupo) but I live in LA. You’ve had an amazing start! I’m still struggling to get back to my original success and every day I start over. But that means I’m one day closer to doing it. I’m going to take some inspiration from you!
    Love the sound of all your “babies” six turkeys! Albert adores my face however it looks and he’s very intuitive. If I’m crying, he has to come over and sit on my lap and lick my tears. It’s nice to know that kind of unconditional love!
    Scottishgal, I don’t know if I thanked you for your sweet post, you are a very caring person 🙂

I’m starting fresh again today – I just need to get a good week under my belt to give me the impetus to carry on. I keep telling myself that and it keeps not working. But I keep trying.

• posted by naomb
    on

Hi all,
    Slightly disheartened this morning- seem not to be losing that much weight on this diet.
    I’ve been going for a week and a half now (with one day being a mess up), and after a few days I had lost 0.7 kg, however for the past 5 days I haven’t lost a thing! My loss seems to be a lot slower than it should be with this kind of deficit. I am going to carry on as if I haven’t weighed myself as I’m trying not to let that get me down.
    Hope everyone has had a lovely week

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning naomb sorry you haven’t had the results you have been looking for. How has your water in take been? How many grams of carbs have you been eating? If you could gives us a typical day we can then gage it and maybe help to point out anything that could be slowing your progress. Also we have started a new weekly thread from the 29th of April that will run until next Tuesday. So pop on over as we are all there. Hope you have a fab weekend. Birdy💞🦜

Please log in or register to post a reply.