One week at a time beginning 30th November 2021 . See out 2021 together !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am so grateful for SG for her ongoing support and inspiring results which keep us all going. Thank you Denise.You are a star .

I will get on the scales tomorrow to see how I have done this month . I started well but flagged a bit towards the end of the month.For me that means the typical over indulgence of nuts and dairy .

We are not going anywhere this Christmas and we don’t have a need for chocs and luxury treats so it will be a simple affair and not a source of stress .I totally refuse any unnecessary pressure .

It’s not always easy though and if you are caught up in the rush and starting to feel a bit overwhelmed then why not share the load ?

We are almost into December and there are a few weeks left before the festivities . Let’s do our best eh ?

Sunny has a few issues to deal with in Turkey which have caused her to delay her return but hopefully she will check in soon . I hope we can restore our little community .

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshine girl xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have added BSD

Wendleg /Wendy
    SunnyB
    Sunshine girl/Denise
    Florab85 /Lauren
    Onestep
    Elle-mae
    Orange Panda Momma/Amz
    RubyG and hubby
    Windyjulz
    Antigone
    Tulip/Clare
    Arcticfox
    JGwen
    California girl/Julia
    Caronl
    Merry melba
    AlysJ
    Stresseatingpro
    CurryTruck
    Iggyboo
    LindaandHubby
    Annie W
    Handles
    Rockandrolltofu
    shammy
    GAD
    Julinka
    Magicbean
    BernieR
    Sixturkeys
    Neicolec
    Handles
    HopefulGal76
    Russianroulade
    BSD

• posted by RubyG
    on

I thought I made 2 posts earlier today on last week’s thread, so let’s se if this gets through.
    Still here, motivation for that extra stone weight loss is missing in action, and portion sizes are up, I blame the cold!
    Low carb though is a way of life now, so I’m happy with that.
    Just need to get through the next few weeks and see what the world throws at us again.

• posted by florob85
    on

Love to all, I’m a bit in the weeds here with work stress and personal stuff but I’ll check in when I can!

On a positive note I’ve lost 2lb more, might fit into that wedding dress yet!

Lauren x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I am away for a couple of days and will check in properly when I am back home again on Wednesday.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all. Last week was my dreaded period, so I was a bit up and down, but still 4 pounds off since last Monday, so heading in the right direction. I’m hoping for another 8 pounds over the next fortnight. So am doing another 2 weeks off alcohol and am hoping that will speed things along.
    Come on guys, let’s try not to get sucked into Christmas indulgences too quickly. My view is, if I work hard now, I might be able to afford a bit of indulgence later in December

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hubby had his booster yesterday and has gone back to bed after a cheese omelette for breakfast this morning, just feeling rough and achy and with a headache. He has taken paracetamol and has his water bottle by his side, with slices of lemon, ginger and turmeric in it today.
    I look forward to mine next Monday!
    On the weight front, I seem to be maintaining in the top half of 11st, which I will take for now – between work and other commitments I am definitely running at full steam plus at the moment, but have a couple of weeks off over Christmas and New Year to recharge.

I have a question about chickpea flour (gram flour) – I think it is similar in carbs to wheat flour but with higher fibre therefore lower net carbs? I am confused, again………….
    We ate a side dish made with gram flour over the weekend, it was lovely, but I think may need to be an occasional part of our food plans.
    Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
    Keeping on keeping on as SG would say 🙂
    So,

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

hello fine BSD people!!
    I have been MIA for a bit…. a load or work stress and frustration, trying to find a winter routine etc and generally sort of time and energy.
    A bit like Ruby G, even when im a little wayward it is still fairly low carb as standard, thats just life now, but there have for sure been a few too many snaxidents and too much alcohol consumed.
    I know i need to get a bit of a grip, can feel myself “filling out” a bit so really want to do 3 great weeks as a bit of a reset….. monstrous time of year but sometimes that gives me more resolve!!
    So here I am, checking in and hopefully making myself accountable!! Meditation done first thing this morning, today will be 3 x good BSD meals, then I’m back to 16:8 fasting as a minimum and hoping to knock the carb monsters on the head and find the happy groove!!

Thank you so much to all those who have kept the threads going, I’ve been popping in to read through occasionally and its so lovely to know you are all still here keeping on. Inspires me to join in again!!
    🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, Wendy I will whatsapp message when I get a chance.

RubyG, yes you did post. Im afraid I got caught up on the menopause question but always follow you closely. As for chickpea flour, as you can see from Laurens chart, it is still very high in carbs as are chickpeas. I make a flatbread with chickpea flour but only on very rare occasions when I really need something to dip up a curry. Dont find it causes the munchies like white flour products.

Well done Russianroulade, 4lbs is great.

Doesnt matter if you go mia Windy as long as you know you are always welcome here.

What news from me. Only just noticed I have actually exceeded my weight loss from when I first did the diet and lost 21lbs. I have now lost 21.5lbs and still hoping to go down even further before Christmas. That has really motivated me.

Got some problems with hubby and dental mess. He really should say he has a loose tooth and pain and swelling. I just happened to make an appt for a check up after nearly 2 years and she discovers all this and he needs 6 appointments over the next 2 weeks so a lot of reorganising, hairdresser, lab visit for blood tests for me, doctors for me. We will sort it out with a flow chart and a highlighter pen. Phew…..

Only thing is it is taking my mind of the new sh$% storm over the omicron variant and fingers crossed we wont be stopped from going to England for Christmas. Our housesitters are also determined to be here for us as they are looking forward to spending Christmas in France. Hey ho, c’est la vie.

on

Hi all, if you count yesterdays appt at dentist we have today had appt number 2. A visit to the denture maker – fascinating to watch him and they young girl in the lab repairing and cleaning. You never imagine such a job. Anyway, he has to have an adjustment to his denture as he will be missing a tooth. Appt number 3 is tomorrow.

I have managed to shift my appointments around to suit and will get to the lab on 10th and doctor on 13th. Getting hair done on 14th so I might be feeling better.

Trying not to worry about covid and just koko. I dont like building up problems until I have to, hubby does enough of that for both of us.

Come on you lot, where are you all. Or are you too busy preparing for Christmas. Enjoy whatever you are doing.

• posted by RubyG
    on

On the topic of appointments, we both had our flu jabs last Monday, hubby has his COVID booster on Monday this week, and mine is booked for next Monday!
    Hubby spent most of yesterday in bed, but he is back working today, albeit still with a bit of a headache and paracetamol every few hours. I also upped the milk kefir intake to 3 small portions for him yesterday, it hasn’t done any harm.
    We have eaten OK, eggs for breakfast, chicken soup for lunch, leftover roast lamb for the past 2 nights, and coq-au-vin in the oven for tonight, with cauli mash.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi All

I have to say SG I’m very much ignoring the new bad covid news, I’m aware of it but I’m just saturated and can’t take more, and like you say when you live with people that build things up it’s exhausting!!

Ruby glad your hubby is feeling better and you’re doing ok too

I’ve been swings and roundabouts today, I started co-chairing an ethics debate group a couple of months ago and today was my first “in charge” and it was just awesome! Then I went straight from that into another meeting and ended up wanting to cry!! Now having a snuggle on the sofa with the Guinea pigs and trying to not dive into a vat of chocolate!

Hope all are ok

L x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi all, I hadn’t been getting the updates, thought I had subscribed 😕. Back home last night, we had to drive most of the way through heavy rain. Well the scales show a gain of 4lb so back to the 800 calories and see how long it takes to shift it back down. I know I can do it. This is where I always got stuck before couldn’t maintain and didn’t nip it in the bud immediately. However I feel in control now.anagedy walk almost missing the showers but I did get to see a double rainbow 🌈.

on

Hi everyone, been absent for a couple of days due to things being done. Hubby had his 3rd appt at the dentist, the tree fellers have been reducing a eucalyptus tree that was around 20 metres high and cutting back all our shrubs to eventually make them look like a hedge rather than random plants.

Lauren, I too am trying not to get dragged into the whole covide thing but as we are going away in less than 3 weeks we have to keep up to date with the latest. On that subject and because my nerves were jangling I nearly had a drink last night. Nearly but I managed to talk myself out of it. Two things – first my weight blipped upwards 2 days in a row – just 0.1 kgs each day but I was thinking ‘why am I bothering’, then this morning I had a whoosh and lost about 0.7kg. So glad I didnt give in and now more motivated for the weekend.

Secondly I have a confession to make. I said I was less than my previous lowest weight. Wrong. Obviously I cant add up. So to set it straight, my lowest weight was 11st 6lbs. Last week I weighed 162.5 lbs which I converted at 11st 4.5lbs. Wrong. There are 154 lbs to the stone not 158 that I was using. Anyway that means today I am 11st 7.5lbs so nearly at my lowest. Also only 0.4kg to the next kilo. This is what happens when you work in pounds, stones and kilos.

Well thats me for today. Hope you all have a good weekend.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

SG I can’t cope with kilos I only work in lbs and stones 🤣 I can report that 2 days of 800 calories has the 4 lb I put on whilst away all gone. I can’t quite believe how well this all works 😁. I now feel confident that I can cope with Christmas. This will be the 1st time losing weight won’t be my New Year’s resolution, will have to think of something else🤣. Sadly I have a bad cold. Hope it goes soon as I am due to have my booster on Tuesday, not sure if I can have it with a cold. Am awaiting lateral flow test arriving today to be sure it’s only a cold. Then will phone Dr’s on Monday to ask.

on

Hi all, Elle – I cant cope in pounds and stones but convert for my daughter as we post our weight to each other daily. Just so used to metric and it is so much easier than 10 to this and 10 to that. 16 oz 1lb, 14 oz one stone, where does that come from. 🙂

Still doing sober November even though I did have a slip up a couple of weeks ago. Oh, hang on, its December now, where did that month go.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Mother and daughter posting their weight to each other daily? Wow.

on

Hi everyone, hope you all managed to get through the weekend unscathed.

Sixturkeys, was that a criticism, me and my daughter messaging our weights to each other. My daughter is over a 1000 miles away and I cant be with her to give her my support but I am just on the end of a phone. It is just a point of contact but much more than about weight. For example today she said ‘I dont want to talk about it’. I know she is feeling down and it is not necessarily about her weight. We will chat later but for now I can send her a virtual hug.

I am the same weight with still a week and a half but we are having people (yes real people) round for drinks on Friday evening so will need to be strict during the week days. Have a good week and keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . I feel a bit of a fraud as I have not posted this week . I am coasting quite frankly . I discarded 2 kilos in November, probably could have done better….. for sure in fact . I lost a bit of focus towards the end of the month . No crappy carbs, just nuts , dark choc and cream … too much of the ‘good’ stuff .

I can’t quite get my ass into gear and I can’t work out why . I think I am still a bit unsettled with the news of my son arriving back in France late January and the ongoing covid mess . We didn’t have any plans to travel but I really feel for those who are facing the stress of additional testing , waiting around for results and ensuing isolation .

Nothing feels normal yet , far from it as there doesn’t seem any end in sight .

So I have been thinking as to how to move forward . My instinct is to have a break so we are in the right frame of mind . The thread is clearly flagging and we all no doubt have our own reasons for being quiet .

I am not giving up on us . I just don’t feel very useful right now and need a bit of a kick . I am not anticipating any carb/sugar binge over Christmas but I am not quite in my focused low carb zone .

Anyone reading this , can you let me know how you feel ? Shall we have a break and start up the thread in January … or just carry on as usual ??

Thanks as always SG for your contributions.We are reassured by your constant presence . I know you are very much preoccupied by your upcoming trip and much needed family time . I hope your daughter feels better soon . Lots of trauma in her area recently which has maybe impacted on her ?

I hope everyone is OK and can just pop in to give their reactions

on

Hi Wendy, I agree with you that we should take a break. Besides Christmas and Covid we are still running to the dentist (another 5 appts). Honestly, I am worried to death we are not going to get back to the UK. The final decision on Christmas will be made on the 17th which is tough as we will have sitters here and be on our way on the 18th. What a shit storm once again.

The numbers are sparse on our thread so I dont think it will be a problem for most people. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and see you all in 2022.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I hope your Christmas goes well SG and Wendy and everyone else and that you can start to feel more positive in the New Year. I have been a bit quiet as both OH and I have tested positive for Covid.

on

Hi all
    Sorry to hear that Wendy and Sunshine Girl are having a tricky time. You are always so positive, so it stands to reason that you might need a bit of a break. You can’t be winning all the time. Don’t be too hard on yourselves. It has been another very tough year and to stay as focussed as you both have, is nothing short of a miracle.
    Life does sometimes get in the way. I know when I have felt like that, I have had to step away. One of my favourite pieces of advice is this “the race is long and in the end it is only with yourself”. It’s a mantra I live by.
    I’m going to keep on keeping on in the run up to Christmas as I continue to feel quite motivated.
    Big love to you all

on

Also Elle-Mae I’m sorry to hear you tested positive, hope you recover soon and not too many symptoms

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello Wendy and SG. I am one of those who has not been posting much lately – my apologies. I do read all the posts every day, but don’t always have any news or progress to add. You both do such a great job keeping us all together. Maybe we could have a new thread “One month at a time beginning 7th December – getting through the silly season together”. Relaxed space for postings as we try and minimise the temptations before us at this time of year – work kitchen table filled with “treats”, dinners out, drinks parties, etc.?
    I have been off track this last month. As you said Wendy – nothing feels normal yet. And what’s ahead? I’m feeling not quite settled. But I’m going to several concerts and dinners in the lead up to Christmas and will enjoy them all, hoping our eased restrictions stay in place.
    This week I’m on holidays in a wine region in Victoria, with warm weather and in a very peaceful small town. The 2 dogs are here too, so we’ll enjoy some gentle walks. They are now 15 & 16 years old, so gentle does it 🐕🐕. There will be some wine, and some carb friendly meals (excepting the Parma and chips at the local pub last night 😫😫)
    Elle-Mae – sorry to hear your news. I hope your symptoms are mild and quarantine is not too arduous and you can get your booster soon.
    Fingers crossed for you SG and really hoping your travel plans all work out and you get to enjoy your family Christmas.
    I’m sure you are really looking forward to having your son home Wendy, even if it’s not in the circumstances he wanted. I can imagine the huge hugs he will get on arrival. ♥️
    Thank you for you calm words of advice RussianR. Hi to Windy, Lauren and Ruby – you are all inspiring.
    🌺Merry

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, just checking in after a long week. Not been following along much as now that the big initial surge of adrenaline has worn off, I’m feeling quite exhausted. Of course moving tons of gravel on my 2 days off on the weekend probably didn’t help too much, although I did sleep well after! I was fasting while I did most of the work as I wanted to be in fat burning mode to have the stamina and endurance to get the job done. I only had a brief window when it was dry enough but before it started snowing in earnest to get the floor of the horse shelter raised up. No idea how many calories I burned whilst doing that. Must have been a lot. My dad came over for a couple of hours on Saturday to help and he did 14000 steps for the day, and he only had done about 3000 before coming over to my place. I had been working for 4 hours before he even arrived, so I’m sure my steps were a lot more. I moved probably about 30 wheelbarrow loads on Saturday and another 18 or so on Sunday. It felt good to get the job done. We got about 5cm of snow today.
    At least I’m not working such long hours now that the waters have receded. Still lots of recovery work to be done, but hopefully the worst is over for now.
    I’ll catch up on posts when I get a chance, but need to go to bed now.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I can certainly understand the need for a break, I think we’ve all got so much going on in our lives right now. The uncertainty levels are so high again, which makes my chimp uneasy (I have mentioned The Chimp Paradox before), and I know I am overeating – as some others have reported, too much of the good stuff is also not good for us.
    I had my booster yesterday, and unlike hubby I seem to have escaped any ill-effects other than a sore arm and sensitivity at the puncture site.
    I did not, however, feel up to weighing today, nor did I feel like eating, but I did have some Greek yoghurt with a few cocoa nibs and some mixed seeds, which seemed to go down well. Soup for lunch from a batch made yesterday.
    I can only hope that the restrictions we are all living under again have the desired effect and we can travel to be with our families for Christmas this year, but I know I have no control of any of it.
    Hang in there everyone, and see you all in 2022 if not before!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi all thank you for your kind wishes, symptoms not too bad, it’s kinda like mild cold. On the plus side OH who works such long hours is having to have an enforced break so that will be good for him as he needs it. I enjoy reading all your posts but do understand the need for a break. I plan to be good with the exception of Christmas and Boxing Days when there will be a few overindulgences.

on

Hi everyone, seems we are not doing another week although we can keep this one going if people want to give their comments. To be clear, I am not giving up on the plan, it is my way of life. It is just that our numbers seem to have dwindled over the last 2 or 3 weeks and it gets hard to motivate people who are not there, no one to bounce off if you see what I mean. I like to comment on how people are doing, answer any queries etc. If no one is posting I am left talking about myself and that gets a bit boring for you and for me.

I actually like the idea of starting a monthly thread that someone mentioned. I will be back fully on plan on Monday 2nd January so we could kick off from them or the 3rd if you like a Tuesday start. Wendy, what do you think, less organising on your part and more time for people to get into a routine for the New Year. As I am sure you will all want to make a big effort once the celebrations are over.

For me Christmas is usual just one day when I have whatever I want, except this year it will be two. 24th December will be Christmas Day for us as all the children (daughters 2 and her partners 3) will be will their opposite parents on Christmas Day this year. We will have another Christmas Day on the 25th but it wont be traditional. More like Boxing Day with lots of cold meats and cheeses and left overs and relaxing and having a few bevvies. Also board games and quizzes are our thing especially slightly ruder ones that the kids cant play – like Cards Against Humanity – I think that is what it is called.

Well everyone, I am signing off for now, organising lateral flow tests for us for our trip and for our sitters, then dentist on Thursday, laboratory Friday.Then the following week (13th) hubby dentist Monday morning then me at doctors in the afternoon, hairdressers Tuesday, then hubby at dentist Wedesday and Thursday and sitters arrive Friday and we will have our lateral flow tests Friday morning. Phew I am exhausted just writing it all down.

Merry Christmas to you all and a very happy New Year.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    I think that you all, Wendy, S-g and Sunny B, have been great at keeping this thread going.
    I started this weekly thread an age ago and am really surprised it’s still going ..
    so great job!
    We have lost and gained lots of people along the way over the last couple of years so maybe a complete rethink is needed to inject some enthusiasm into the depleted group that we now are.
    All thoughts I think would be really useful …. One week at a time …. .?cutting carbs, eating more vegetables, eating more low carb fruit, having one new meal, not eating something specific??. drinking more water, introducing a ‘new to you food’. Just a few thoughts for weekly topics for ‘One Week at a Time’. Sorry if I’m speaking out of turn.
    As S-g says this is our way of life , 5+ years, and we won’t give up but it’s great to have help and encouragement and to pass on our experience to newcomers.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

A year-end thank you to Wendy, Sunshine girl and SunnyB who have kept the threads alive with interesting and helpful comments all year! I don’t post often but I appreciate the effort you make to support this site.
    And a year-end thank you to everyone else too for stopping by to share your stories.
    I apologize for my “downer” posts recently — I was born under the Aquarius star sign and somehow this Covid “thing” has really driven me off the rails — I want my happy, exciting life back, I want to see my friends without worrying about masks or Covid passes and I want to go out daily and smile at my fellow man/woman. I am worried for my two grand-daughters. I have just had ENOUGH of the whole thing. So I’m ignoring all the new hysteria also and just going about my life as much as possible.
    BSD-wise, I have so habituated that I don’t really think about it (I am six years into this!).
    Somewhere along the way I really and truly DID LOSE my sweet tooth — if you doubt this, stay on the low carb path and it WILL happen to you too! It’s just plain weird to me (the queen of sugar and carbs) that at some point it will just stop and you won’t need to seek out sugars. Now and then I might want a cookie, but one will suffice.
    If it hasn’t happened yet for you, it WILL happen. It’s a huge game changer, because you just don’t want sugar anymore. So stay on the path!!
    Grocery store usual activity: straight to cheeses and heavy cream (for coffee) aisle, then meat, drop by canned food aisle for tuna, tomatoes, beans, marinated artichokes, then to eggs/butter and finish at veggie department (ANYTHING except potatoes)
    Create your own grocery- path! Avoid the cookies, cereals and treats aisles. I like to look at others trollies and feel superior (ha ha) really, be proud of your healthy choices.
    So I am a person who loves the solstice — the days are darkening and cold and I love to stay out walking the dogs until dark skies send me in. At Lake Tahoe California we are cold and dark by 5 pm — the coyotes start to call and the dogs hug closer and we all head in to the warm house.
    The solstice is natures voice that we go quiet and watch the light fade, and stay tight and warm. We are only two weeks or so from the solstice, and on the 22nd the light will start to return and we can celebrate the light in Christmas or whatever your chosen celebration will be.
    Let the dark give you peace and quiet and let the solstice give you rest. The next two weeks look to the stillness which renews us all, the resting phase of winter.
    Our bodies know this is a time to sit quietly (although party as necessary for frivolity and happiness) but don’t forget to follow the sun’s arc down, and on the 24th celebrate its return!

• posted by wendleg
    on

What beautiful, thoughtful posts everyone.
    I will reply tomorrow. Today was very full on but I think I can finally see the way through the stresses and trauma for my friend and his son…crossing everything.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

I can’t possibly compete with all the lovely posts on here the last few days, I just want to send everyone who needs one a massive hug and I’m happy to go with whatever anyone else wants to with regards the thread! I think you’re all incredible – obviously Wendy, SunnyB and Sunshinegirl for all their hard work and support, but all of you – old faces and new, this is such an amazing community and I know it’s definitely pulled me out of the doldrums on numerous occasions and I only hope that I can sometimes provide just a little support and kindness to even one person on here.

L xx

• posted by Verano
    on

California girl you are so right about that ‘sweet tooth’!
    Around six months or so ago I thought we would have a change and a ‘treat’ so I bought some sweet potatoes ….. they were soooo sweet I couldn’t eat even one mouthful and had to give away the ones I hadn’t used.
    Similarly, I can’t eat any chocolate less than 85% … my grandchildren think it’s ‘poison’ but that’s kids for you.
    Ahh, yes a very ‘peaceful’ post California girl ….. I feel relaxed just reading it. I so look forward to the lighter days but I do love the idea of the ‘resting phase’ of winter. Let’s hope we are all renewed and the new year brings more light, in every way.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Aww just checked in after a few weeks of poor mental health and feeling run off my feet- and trying now to get back on track (food wise)….what’s the plan? When is the break until? Hope everyone’s as ok as can be xxxxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

(p.s. I love the one week at a time thread so it always gets my vote) xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone and thanks for your thoughtful comments and insight .

I do love our little community and like Sunny , SG ( and many other vintage contributors ….I mean that in the nicest possible way !!!!I ) I am very invested in sharing experiences, giving support and encouragement because we know this way of eating really does work . I also want us all to feel good about ourselves and our messages are not just about carbs and calories ! Whatever we are going through, this is a safe space to vent and share .

What happens with me though is that the weeks often fly by and depending on what is going on here ( I get called on a lot to help out with French admin and other stuff) it can get busy . Before I know it the week has gone by and I haven’t had time to answer all the posts and contribute as I would like, and that makes me feel guilty .

I’ve had a think and if you all agree, I would like to keep this thread open to see out the end of the year . We can still pop in when we can and have a chat , about Christmas preparations, food choices, worries, stresses and joys, anything really . We will all be cheering SG when she gets all the appointments and tests out of the way and can trust she really will be on the way to the UK !!!

We are definitely not giving up on the thread or anyone but not to feel the pressure of having to start a new weekly thread throughout December would help me . So only a break insofar as I won’t renew the thread but keep this one running until the New Year . Don’t worry Tulip/Clare , we will still be here . I hope you are feeling better after a difficult time .

I hope you and your hubby are OK after your bout of Covid, Elle Mae ?

I am not going to start munching carbage as like Julia/ California Girl, Verano and of course SG I would never sabotage my health now by feeding it crap but I will enjoy a few traditional Christmas treats . Any damage will be managed from January and that’s ok .

We can then decide if we have a weekly thread with a different theme as V suggested or maybe have monthly targets ?

Does that sound ok ?

Merry !!! Yes, it will be wonderful to see my son after more than 2 years apart although he really will miss Australia ( he has loved his time there) He is an avid bird photographer and he will really miss that but he tells me France has some spectacular places he can discover too. He has a great attitude . By the way the Christmas parcel I sent at the beginning of November arrived this week ! It only took a month…..RESULT !!! So my boys will have their French Christmas goodies 🙂

So keep posting when you can . We will keep this space open .

I wonder if Amz will pop back in ?

Love and hugs to you all

Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Have you seen that Michael Mosley is bringing out a new book called Fast Keto 800 at the end of December ?
    I’m a sucker for a new book to boost my motivation 😉. I will add it to my ever-growing Kindle library 😊

• posted by RubyG
    on

I have added the book to my Wishlist on a certain shopping site 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Wendy and everyone!

Perfect, thank you Wendy- so grateful to you 3 for keeping the threads open and going- I don’t mind at all if it is weekly or monthly – I am just happy to have somewhere to come and chat and be accountable- also I reckon, don’t worry if you can’t respond personally to every message, we can all chat amongst ourselves too, totally understand that you are a woman in demand! Also, what a fabulously positive attitude your son has! I could do with taking a leaf out of his book!

I am just struggling to manage all of the childrens’ needs, as well as work and my own needs, especially with my eldest being still really poorly with long covid for 18 months + now….lots of health appts with her, plus my middle has mental health issues, and youngest on another planet with ASD…..my mood was very low and I felt really worn down for a while, but I am coming out the other side I think, having put my foot down about a couple of things and therefore found a little time for myself to fit in exercise usually daily again which I find essential for my own mental, as well as physical, health.

I am hoping to be more on track with eating even though it is December….there will be some Christmas treats of course though. I have STILL not managed to lose my extra 10 lbs or so that I regained…..I guess I will just keep doing my best.

I had a check up at the Drs and my Hba1c is still well within normal limits, yay 😊….however seeing my weight 9 lbs heavier than top of my normal range BMI again, and some of my clothes are all tight (notably around the waist which of course is a bad place to put it!!)…I look fine, not round like when I was 3.5 stone overweight (at 12 and a half stone), but it is not a healthy gain….and so, it is all about health, I really really want to get back to where I was….we have also been trying to tidy and I have made the decision to sell/ give away all of my larger clothes (sizes larger 12s-18), even if they are nice, because I don’t intend to ever go there again- always in the past I have kept all my 6 different sizes (ranging 8-18…..I am 5 ft 0)….but I also made the decision that my size 8 and tiny 10s (that are really size 8) I wore in my teens and early 20s, pre children, are going too, because when I hit target back last winter, there were some that were still so tiny and I don’t plan to lose more than that, and also I think that my shape is just different, with a fuller bust etc too….I was really comfortable with where I got to last winter (9 st 0, size 10-12) and I just need to re-get there (I regained weight over the summer hols and just haven’t lost it again for anyone who hasn’t been following my rambling story!!!)…..

So, 10 lbs to go- I think I will set myself a target date of my birthday again, I always love that as a target- because the previous year I set out to lose 42 lbs in my 42nd year (ages 42 to 43)- and achieved my full weight loss goal of 45 lbs in fact…..so by 15th Feb I will aim to be back to my target weight of 9 st 0 (top of my BMI normal range for my height is 9 st 1)…..

Bring it on!!!!! Just checked, it’s 9.5 weeks away…..should be manageable! Please give me lots of encouragement and stern words if I tell you I have been ridiculously off plan!!

Love to all, Tulip xxxxx

on

Hi everyone, I have just had my results in from my latest blood tests. HbA1c 6.5 so up from about 5.7 but not a disaster. Cholesterol up from 4.1 to 5.6. I sort of expected that as I stopped taking the statins due to severe leg cramps and chest pains. So need to have a conversation with doctor when I see him on Monday. Not through bad diet but I suffer from familial cholesterol which means I really do need the medication although I was only taking 10mg.

Will see what doctor says.

I am happy to keep dipping in here until we go away on Saturday week. Then for the future, whatever suits everyone.

on

Hi y’all, I am finding it difficult to understand why my BG was up as I have been looking through my daily morning numbers and they are all under 100 (5.5) except one day at 104 (5.6). Last night we had friends round and had drinks and nibbles, although I stuck mainly to the olives, so I increased insulin to 18 units and this morning I was through the floor with a reading of 40 (2.1) which really frightened me. Never seen it so low. Conundrum, I cant increase insulin to get next test numbers down so I have to look very carefully at my diet. In all honesty a bit of carb has crept in. My 2 stolen chips from hubbys plate with an omelette is now around 5 or 6, on Thursday I needed a baguette to make breadcrumbs and ended up having a chicken sandwich instead of a chicken salad. Just shows how just small slip ups can cause problems for a diabetic. Lesson learnt. Seeing doctor on Monday and lots to chat about but in truth I know what to do. Looking forward to doing another round of the 8 weeks BSD in the new year.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g. Sorry to hear about your bloods …. just don’t panic!
    I think most of us have a bit of carb creep when we’ve been eating low carb for many years but we are still very low carb compared to ‘normal’ eating. Just look back to the old days when an average day was probably cereal for breakfast and maybe some toast and even marmalade. Lunch could have been sandwiches with crisps and even a biscuit or two. Dinner was nearly always with a good helping of potatoes, pasta or rice, then possibly a pudding. Plus a couple of snacks during the day! Oh! and the wine!
    Then look back to your BS then and the amount of insulin you were using plus the way you felt. Fast forward to today. Nothing runs in a straight line and as you say 6.5 isn’t a disaster. The most important thing is that we know how to control our blood sugar and the odd blip is just that, an odd blip.
    Have a good chat to your Dr on Monday and I’m sure you’ll feel far more settled.
    Just as an aside …. I first started BSD after a friend of mine lost a toe because of T2 and I just happened to find THE book at the same time. Five plus years on, with low carbing I have ‘normal’ BS, as do you, he, with uncontrolled BS, has just had a second toe removed! ( He did lose a lot ofweight but didn’t control his carbs!)
    I guess we know the answer and as you say, we just have to keep on keeping on……..

on

Hi all. Thanks V, you were right. Doctor was perfectly happy about my HbA1c, it is just me that expects perfection. He said all it indicated is that I have diabetes but under control. On the subject of the machine readings he said it was about time I had a new machine and as a lesson to all, these machines do not tell the whole story. Just a glimpse into what is going on now. As for the cholesterol, I told him what happened with the chest pain and he said I should have called an ambulance. Okay, us nurses, ex nurses and medics are the worst patients in the world. Anyway, he said I did the right thing stopping the statins. He has given me a different medication specifically for familial high cholesteron so we will see how that goes. He knows my diet is really good so didnt try to extract if I had eaten this that or the other.

Well, it looks like Boris isnt shutting us down or locking us out so, assuming we have negative tests on Friday we will be heading off the the UK to be with family. They have all had at least one jab (the 13 year old), 2 jabs (the 16 year old) and boosters for the adults. Except….. Daughters partners children, of whom 2 are 2 yound (7 and 9) and the teenage boy, his mother wont allow him to be jabbed. We have been assured they will all take lat flow tests when the come round – they are used to it as they have them twice a week for school. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong now. I was pooping myself when Boris said he had an announcement to make the other day, but all is well.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and lets hope 2022 is so much better for all of us.

Just as an aside, I have bought a book called The Last Man by Mary Shelley (of Frankenstein fame). It is set in the 21st century Europe when there is an outbreak of a deadly virus which then infects the whole world. I will be very interested to see how it ends but how someone writing in the 18th century envisioned we would be living. Cheers everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .
    Your report from the doc is very encouraging SG .He obviously recognises that you know your stuff and can manage things and ask the right questions. Well done for your perseverance and commitment .

The news from the UK re the omicron variant is a bit alarming .I am fed up of this ongoing situation , like many of us for sure . I think you will escape any further restrictions SG so you will be able to get away to be with your family and we will all be thinking of you .

My son is hoping to visit Tasmania before he heads back to France as my hubby’s daughter lives there .It is a most spectacular place and hopefully plans will go ahead as Australia opens up . I have his return to look forward to during January !

We will be cooking traditional Christmas dinner for 5 here so we will plan that . We are all oldies so boosted !

I am getting my jab tomorrow ( another chance cancellation as I was initially booked for 30th December at the local chemist )

As an aside there was a good outcome for my friend and his son at court this morning so I can relax a bit about that .

There is always something positive to focus on, I do believe that .

So this thread stays open and we can pop in anytime . Just stay safe everyone xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good news S-g. Enjoy your trip back to the UK!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G so glad it looks like you are going to be able to be with your family for Christmas. Wendy I hopefully will be opening the Keto book on Christmas morning 😉. Well it was freedom day today, self isolation is over! It was so great to go for my walk in the country and breath in fresh air again.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Elle Mae ! It must feel good outdoors. Things we take for granted are no longer so . Just hope things stabilize and please please no lockdowns. I want my boy home safely too . …
    I’m focused on controlling my creeping excesses . What helps me is to delve into my recipe books and plan . I recognise I sometimes get bored of the same stuff as if I am not quite satisfied but I don’t know why.
    I also turn to my Kindle and my library of books about low carb eating and especially on emotional eating . It seems I am never fully cured even though I have come a long way and no longer crave the Dairy Crunch !

Talking of books, Elle Mae, I have pre ordered the Fast Keto 800 for my Kindle and it says the title will be released on December 30th . Not sure if that applies to the paperback too . I expect there will be a lot of publicity and newspaper coverage.
    You know for years I spent January feeling miserable and despondent because yet again I had failed in my weight loss attempt. Such a horrible feeling. I am not going there again.

Thinking of you all xxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I may post on other threads, because I am really ethically in a mix. Covid vaccine; use of human embryonic cell line, from an aborted foetus. Does it matter how many years ago HEK cell line for Astra Zeneca was derived from? Was there what anyone might call vivisection at the time? I saw that Lauren was on an ethics committee… I had one Astra Zeneca and the HEK link was so highlighted in the two page info sheet, which I read afterwards, so have passed since.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

So glad to hear everybody’s news 👏👏
    I’m STILL trying to get a handle on my frankly re-kindled carb addiction (albeit far better than before I started this WOE) and consequent very slow but sure weight gain….any how, I am working on it.
    This evening I dedicated to reading and digesting post-covid disordered breathing information and how to improve it- particularly has been sent by my eldest’s healthcare team as it is one of her worst symptoms, but I also continue to have some much milder breathing issues post-covid, so I think it will help us both. I’ve sent on the info to daughter, of course, and hubby, so that he can be on the same page as us.
    I should have been at a band rehearsal, but we had our Christmas concert yesterday and really I’ve been rushed off my feet and this health stuff is super important. I’ll be going through it with Zoe after she finishes her college work this week prior to her next appointment on Monday.

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.