One week at a time beginning 30th November 2021 . See out 2021 together !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by florob85
    on

You’re right sixturkeys, I am on an ethics committee – one of my major reasons for this is to try and stop this kind of unethical Research taking place – unfortunately Astra is not the only one plagued with a history of using unethical cell lines – there’s a MAJOR lawsuit in the US at the moment surrounding HeLa cells which were derived from a black African American lady who had cervical cancer, without her consent, in the 30s, and these cells are used literally all over the world. The problem is that these unethical cases come to light, we all have a song and dance about it for a few years, and then it all summers down again, I have hope we can change!!

Sg – sounds great with your docs appointment, you are as ever an inspiration! Good luck with the trip to the UK, I’d quite like to book a one way flight to literally anywhere else in the world right now!! And not just because of covid! But I know you’ll do everything you can to stay safe and you need to see your daughter of course

Elle mae congrats on freedom!

Lauren x

Lauren

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Lauren, that is so helpful in terms of acknowledging there is an issue for some, and not just being shot down, or being unhelpfully responded to by NHS “help line”. Termination is one thing, use of “spare parts” another. I have looked at Lozier Institute; I think that is a bit ambivalent on the initial testing/production distinction between the approved vaccines. Also came across someone who is looking at effect of maternal smoking on foetal liver development, with resort to aborted foetuses’ liver samples. No shit Sherlock – that really smacks of the “research” which involved putting new born kittens into boxes where they couldn’t make out horizontal planes, so then fell off a table edge, or new born Rhesus monkeys who preferred to cuddle up to a soft blanket, no milk, than a cold wire construction which did give milk.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, just had bad news that my daughters fiances little girl has tested positive for covid. Not going to put us off. She is confined to her bedroom, the rest of the family are testing daily and even her father, who took her for the official test, had one done himself and is negative. Rather than looking for problems I found a solution. We can stay in the Crown Plaza for 3 nights, by which time she should be out of isolation. Or, if they all stay negative the new rules say we can be in the same house, no need for us to isolate and fingers crossed we dont catch it. Just worried that we wont be able to get back home and the cats will be alone. I have a contingency for that too – our estate agent has a key and loves the cats 🙂

Now just got to have our tests on Friday before we leave. Fingers crossed for that too.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi SG, hope the plans, albeit amended if required, still come to fruition and you have a lovely Christmas with your family.
    We plan to travel on Mon 21st (within the UK) and will be seeing relatives for Christmas, with hubby’s best friend staying with us. Fortunately I managed to pick up a pack of lateral flow tests form the pharmacy yesterday when collecting prescriptions, so hopefully have avoided the stock-out and panic around the test availability, and if we are around people in the run-up to Christmas we will test before seeing relatives.
    I have managed to have a decent no-snack and low carb/cal day today, although hubby is driving me nuts – his occasional teaspoon of peanut butter seems to have become a twice-daily routine now, and any suggestion that he cuts the snacking is currently met with resistance. Already the occasional square of 95% dark chocolate is a nightly occurrence, along with our single Brazil nut (each, not shared…….) and half a portion of milk kefir, so he’s probably halfway to getting 800cals before even starting on actual meals. Hey ho, I’ll just keep on keeping on and try to deal with my own demons 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g onwards and upwards …. where there’s a will there’s a way and I’m sure you will find a ‘way’ if at all possible. Good for you!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G 🤞that it all works for you X.
    I had the ‘bright’ idea I could make homemade raspberry cheesecake ice cream as I remembered that someone had given me an ice cream maker which came out of the loft alongside the Christmas decorations. The plan was marscapone, double cream and frozen raspberries. I mixed the marscapone and cream then had to pour it into the running machine, rather messy 😂. I made the mistake of then trying to add the raspberries the machine couldn’t churn them, so machine off ice cream then freezing to it. I removed as much as possible and put in a tub in the freezer and stirring every 30 mins. Shouldn’t have bothered with the machine lol. In retrospect I should have made vanilla and added raspberries separately. I had thought it would be a way of having some no sugar ice cream as an occasional treat.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Elle-Mae, that sounds delicious! Please can you share your recipe, and method without the machine? 🙏🙏

SG, crossing my fingers and toes for you!! You are an incredibly resilient and resourceful woman 😚😚😚

Wendy, I’m glad your friend with the son is a bit more settled and you have your own son to look forward to welcoming home too x

Love to all
    Clare
    xxx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Tulip. About 3/4 tub marscapone same for the double cream , the large pot (because I wanted to use the rest for something else, about 1/2 a packet of frozen raspberries. As you can see no measuring here 🤣. I mixed the cream and marscapone in the food processor. Add the raspberries, place in a container with a lid and place in the freezer then take out an mix every 30 mins to prevent ice crystals from forming.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

looks lush!! How long do you need to keep going with the half-hourly stirring? Sorry for all the questions!!! xxx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

The questions are fine Tulip 😁 I really am making this up as I go so not sure, but having just done some research it seems to suggest 4 hrs. I have also discovered they seem to suggest whipping the cream before starting. I guess my 2nd attempt may be better, I probably should have done more research before starting. I am also guessing the ice cream may end up quite hard, but heyho you live and learn

• posted by Tulip1
    on

let us know how it goes…..I love all of those ingredients!! x

on

If you have seen the French / English news regarding travel you will understand what I am about to say. Arrrrrrrrrggggggggh. There.

• posted by RubyG
    on

You can still travel though SG?
    Our elderly relatives have backed out of Christmas Day with us, but we have agreed to meet up with them at some point, and all test beforehand.
    Friends and colleagues are testing positive all around us at the moment, none of whom we have seen in a few weeks so all good here for now, but it’s escalating.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g … no problem if you’re French residents. The world and his wife can enter the UK. Apparently we have so much infection now that the powers to be think ok … let’s just open the flood gates… not quite sure about that but hey ho!
    As long as you’re still allowed back into France you should be fine
    I think lots of people will be having last minute changes to their plans … including us!
    One day, in maybe the distant future, we will all be able to meet relatives and friends without fear …. maybe we should just move all our birthdays, festive days and celebrations to the summer months when we can meet outside!

on

It is not getting back into France. It is getting out of the country without ‘compelling’ reason. We have spoken to Brittany Ferries and they have no idea except one reason can be returning to place of origin i.e. my homeland. Returning to France, returning to my place of residence, France with a French residency card. Family have cancelled all events this week, i.e. gym, rugby training. Cancelled all planned events while we are there, i.e. escape room then restaurant. Now all we have to do is have a negative test to leave and a negative test to return. Someone said cancel everything until summer when we can all meet outside. Just how many summers are we going to cancel, this next one (summer 2022) will mean being apart from family for nearly 3 years. What if this all happens again in Summer 2022. What was the point of 3 vaccinations, self isolation for nearly 2 years due to risk factors and now we still might not be able to see family at Christmas. We are going and might be turned away at the ferry. 7 hours drive there and then have to come back to tell our house guests they are stuck with us. Brexit is also to blame because the crossing of borders is allowed between members of the European Union,.

• posted by Verano
    on

A true mess s-g. Let’s just hope there’s a bright spot on the horizon.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

omg s-g, crossing my fingers and toes for you 🤞🤞

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I hope it all works out for you and your family S-G 😍

• posted by RubyG
    on

Here’s hoping you get on that ferry SG, the ferry back can be dealt with when the time comes – you never know, the rules may have changed again!
    Keep on keeping on, and hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family 🙂

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi s-g. What a nightmare. Have you thought about sailing from NL instead? Presumably there are no restrictions within Schengen still. The Hoek-Harwich service takes a while, but the overnight cabins are comfortable. Keeping fingers crossed for you. x

• posted by caronl
    on

S-g There are a lot of people in meltdown here too. I assume you have seen the Fr Gov link https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage?fbclid=IwAR1t21ZuK4vlpo9F9kS-ZhCjShRAThTso6ToyknvIXgML-aHbsMwAsTVwD8. The pdf referred to on that website suggests the ” imperative reasons” for visiting the UK are very limited. I suppose a lot may depend on how strict Brittany ferries will be. A route via the Netherlands could be an option … Keeping fingers crossed for you.

• posted by Antigone
    on

0Oh my SG!
    Things are changing so fast atm. So much hysteria about what is required for travel. Daughter arrived here from UK last weekend with no problems but who knows what is coming. Looks like a wet and windy Christmas for us in Northern France and, as another lockdown might be coming we will be sticking up on supplies for us and the animals tomoz! Good luck everyone … 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi caronl,hi Antigone ! HELLO everyone.
    It’s all a bit dismal isn’t it ?

I’m not really feeling very ‘Christmassy ‘ ..sorry …but we are making an effort cooking a traditional Christmas Dinner. Hubby has made mince meat and we will get some local produce …much like I sent my boys in Oz .

This is our second Christmas just staying put. Haven’t seen my UK family since Christmas 2019…the boys even longer but we are all in touch and making do with that at the moment.

If you are still working this week (Lauren, Claire ? ) thinking of you …and if you have to go out,stay safe out there.
    SG send news when you can !

Lots of love everyone . We will get through this mess ( heard that before but we will !)

• posted by wendleg
    on

I just heard that Denise / sunshine girl has arrived safely in the UK. Paperwork was easy in the end ! Family are constantly testing and fingers crossed everything will work out for Christmas and for return to France !

SG wanted me to pass on the message. So all that stress was worth it in the end !
    Phew !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

yay for s-g getting there safely!!
    Wendy- glad you have a plan for Christmas too.
    We are hoping to get to the Midlands this year for a few days at Christmas to stay with my parents and catch up with various rellies there. It’s a repeat of last year’s plan, so fingers crossed!!!
    Love to all,
    T xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh that’s a relief re Denise, thank you for passing on the message

Sending good wishes to all at the moment, I think we all need them more than ever! What a mess we’re in again!

Yep you’re right Wendy, I’m working up to Thursday, had a rubbish week last week – I was assessing presentations all week, on Tuesday from 8.30am-7pm and one of the students on Tuesdays group attended with symptoms….then tested positive afterwards, so she exposed the whole group and us, so it was all a nightmare, then I had booster on Thursday, felt like garbage on Friday so did a PCR just in case, negative, but then woke up feeling worse yesterday and by yesterday evening my eardrum ruptured! Turns out I can be in a room with an infectious covid person and not catch it, but somehow get a sinus/ear/chest infection instead!!

So feeling sorry for myself, and just limping limping to Thursday now and praying we’re actually able to go home for Christmas but I’m not holding out hope!! Also wedding all up in the air again, 16 weeks today but things are not looking good and I think it’s all going to be very close to the wire again.

Sigh!

Lauren x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren, sounds dreadful!! Try to get as much rest as possible xxxxx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

So glad S-G that you have made it.
    Lauren poor you, you are having a bad week, hopefully you can recharge over Christmas and 🤞for the wedding.
    I hope everyone has the best Christmas you are able to have.
    Sending best wishes to you all xxxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,

Well!! I had a nasty shock getting on the scales this morning- I have now gained an entire stone over my goal weight (I was 9 st 0 back in Feb and this morning read 10 st 0)….dreadful!
    So anyhow, I have set out to curb things/ nip it right in the bud as best I can prior to Christmas…and then back on the BSD proper in the New Year.
    I had just bagged up all my larger clothes for charity- and I feel it’s best to stick with that plan- what does everyone think? I feel it will discourage me from slipping up again and also I am such a clutter monster which is another issue to tackle.

Love and hugs xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Clare !
    That sounds like a good plan. …I bet we have all had clothing of various sizes in our wardrobes, certainly true in my case !
    You don’t say if you are feeling uncomfortable in your clothes right now ? That’s often the sign we have to act !

I hope you are feeling ok and not under too much pressure with Christmas preparations. Thinking of your daughter too.
    Yes..damage limitation if you can Clare but lots of us will be reassessing in the New year for sure xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Clare, I’m up with insomnia so I have no wisdom to give as my brain is scrambled egg but I just wanted to say please be kind to yourself and try not to beat yourself up – all we can do is try and that’s all xx

Lauren

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Clare sending you hugs, enjoy Christmas and think New Year, new plan, new start.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Elle Mae ! You’re right.So many things we are all dealing with which overshadow our well being. As Lauren says ,we can only do our best, allowing ourselves some flack if it helps and remember we will all be here together in January. It’s ok xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Just wanted to pop in and give hope to anyone struggling with T2 or high cholesterol or any other ills that this WOL helps.
    💉🩺🎉 Just had telephone appointment with my surgery after diabetes blood tests last week….. ALL IS WELL!
    Five and a half years ago I started this WOL and, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating…. well …HbA1c 36, cholesterol 5.1 but the all important ratio is 2.1 it should be <3.5, all other tests great.
    I can’t believe my results given the last couple of years stress, strain and probably not always the best food choices.
    This WoE really does work!
    As s-g says you just have to keep on keeping on ………
    BTW hope you are having a good time here in the uk s-g.
    Happy Christmas everyone and let’s hope 2022 is a better year in every single way.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Fantastic results, V !!! Like SG, your commitment has truly paid off and you are proof that this way of eating really does work . You are both an absolute inspiration .

I just wanted to wish everyone a very happy Christmas if you are celebrating . I hope your plans have not been too disrupted with soaring cases and uncertainty . Thinking of you if you can’t be where you want to be and with your loved ones.

For those of you who have been working hard, time to rest up folks , hopefully not running around bleery eyed and stressed . You need to wind down !!!

We have 3 guests coming tomorrow so it has meant a Baileys cheese cake I am afraid !!! Full disclosure ! Full reboot will be needed after that indulgence .

Enjoy the time, it’s important to have special moments and memories . Keeping this space open for anyone who wants to pop in .

Stay safe and be happy !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you Wendy, Lauren and Elle-Mae 😍😍😍! I don’t know how I missed replies coming in- Wendy, yes, I have grown in width as well as weight but still not into the medium or large clothes I have bagged up to go- the ones on the smaller side of what I fit into at 9 st I’m not trying to squeeze into but I have plenty that do fit….particularly of the leggings and loose tunic-y dress style I like best at this time of year any way…..
    Thank you so much Wendy, S-G and Sunny for keeping us going with these threads- I really appreciate it!

Happy Christmas everyone, love to all xxxxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Verano, fantastic results!
    I had a similarly great set of bloods recently so even when not perfectly followed, this WOE still works incredibly well for me 😁

xxxx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Fabulous results Verano and Tulip.
    Merry Christmas to all, have a great time wherever and whoever you can be with this year.
    Today is the day of all the big prep, so that tomorrow is just putting things into and out of the oven at the appropriate times. Yes, I will be indulging but only for 2 days then back to this woe.
    Thank you Wendy, S-G and Sunny for this thread, 🎄🎄🎄🎄

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Saw this meme going round:

‘I don’t know what’s scarier at this point, taking a lateral flow test or weighing myself’

made me giggle

xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Clare..yes…lateral flow tests are the new handshake it seems 🙄. Cases are rocketing in France too. Trying not to get too stressed and carry on hoping things will settle. No change for school kids and as a former teacher I can understand the concern for staff who are in close contact with young children.

The festivities are virtually over for us . Just one celebratory meal on Sunday with friends . I had a shocking realisation this year that the sugar monster still lurks and has not been annihilated. Mince pies,Christmas cake,cheesecake …all home made and consumed in excess. That never happened over the last Christmases….I just never bothered but maybe this is another feature of stress/comfort eating I have to be constantly aware of.

So it’s a wake up call for me. As I suspected I am still an over eater and sugar addiction is real.
    What works for me is a fasting reset period which I am doing now. I have received my copy of the Fast 800 keto on my kindle and I don’t expect to learn anything ground breaking but it’s good motivation.
    I haven’t weighed myself as I go by how my clothes feel and my jeans are getting snug.
    So back to basics for me. I know what works and I recognise the dangers of denial and complacency.

I will set up the new thread next week (Tuesday )
    Shall we stick with the weekly format or does anyone want a longer target..2 weeks ,a month ? Let me know. There will probably be another longer countdown to ..type thread running too.

I hope you are enjoying this time, spending time with people you love to be with,resting (Lauren !!) and staying safe

Looking forward to getting back in touch with you all. Hope SG gets back safely and hassle free . !

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi.
    Just popping in to say thanks to Wendy, SunnyB and sunshine-girl for keeping this thread going in 2021. … roll on 2022! …. and hopefully more weekly threads.
    Wendy I’m listening to the Audible version of the book which he narrates himself. I’m finding it interesting but not really a great deal new apart from the emphasis, which seems to now be on protein. Anyway, it keeps the mind focused.

Wendy I think that when we follow this WOL there are times when holidays happen, food is consumed ( and hopefully enjoyed) that doesn’t ‘fit’, but we know that we just have to get back on the ‘horse’. We all fall off, and hopefully enjoy the ‘fall’, and then get back on and resume ‘normal service’! That’s life ….it doesn’t run in a straight line!

Please keep the weekly threads going and longer ones can always be added as and when.
    Just want to wish everyone HAPPY NEW YEAR … 2022 WILL, as the Beatles sang, 🎶🎶be better, better, better, better 🎶🎶🎶

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V ! Yes you are right …I think I had got used to being pretty much “in control ” Sounds terrible to talk about “control “doesn’t it but I got complacent ! I do agree that we have to allow a bit of flexibility and we know how to get back on track.

I heard that the new Fast 800 keto focused more on protein which does seem to feature in keto programmes the more I read. I think we know what works so I am not sure we need to be overloaded with a lot more information but I will check for tips and recipes.

We will definitely keep the weekly thread active,V and will start next Tuesday 4th January.

Enjoy the New Year celebrations and stay safe everyone xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Wendy, hi Verano. Hope everyone else is well. I had a lovely Christmas visiting family (and sharing many yummy things too)…one more party (NYE) and then mega BSD…..to shift this stone before my birthday in mid-Feb.

Love to all xxxxx

on

Hi everyone, arrived home safely yesterday evening. Had to do a quick shop as we are in isolation for at least 4 days. Technically 2 days then released on negative test but 48 hours for us is New Years Day so no covid test centres open, nor on the Sunday, so Monday for us. We have been told to expect the gendarmes to come knocking on day 2 but surely they will realise….. Anyway, we will go in on Monday morning as it is not a holiday in France.

It was lovely to be with family but the stress of having covid all around us was terrible. Daughters step child was in the house isolating in her bedroom for 10 days (before the rules changed poor kid), second child went to a massive party with her mother and was brought back to daughters house. Couple of days later mother came down with covid so my daughter had 3 extra kids over Christmas. Worried to death that party girl would test positive at some point and we had been in contact. Just too much stress in keeping safe and needing to be negative to get home. I wont go into the errors on our return antigen tests and only 2 hours to rectify them and house sitters leaving 2 days early and us having to find someone to come in to feed cats. Not a happy girl right now and looking forward to a chilled Prosecco later and catch up TV for a week.

The way I feel right now I never want to go away again. Hopefully I will be over it by Easter.

Only had a weight gain of 2lbs and hoping not to do too much damage by the time the new thread starts on Tuesday – thanks to Wendy. Will get weighed Tues morning and set a new target.

Hope you are all keeping well and have a lovely New Year.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

S-G…..what a stress! I hope the prosecco works some magic for you later x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I’m glad you managed to negotiate your time away S-G and got over all the bumps along the way. I ate as I wanted on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Then back on 5:2, only put on 3lbs and have lost 1 1/2 of it, but off to OH’s Mum’s tomorrow so will indulge again and the hopefully back to woe.

I managed to accidentally poked myself in my eye with a rather long fingernail and now have a ‘delightful’ red eye, the entire white bit looks like it is full of blood (I am turning zombie 🤣)

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year 🎉

• posted by florob85
    on

So pleased you got home ok sunshinegirl and had a nice Christmas despite the stress, it is all very stressful over here at the moment!

Never fear Wendy I’m resting – my body definitely said “enough”, I’m still recovering from my perforated ear drum and I had a bad fall caused by dizzy spells today which ended up in a trip to a+e – fortunately nothing broken except my pride but believe me I’m listening!! I got back on track with eating on Monday and am doing ok so far but that’s probably helped by lack of appetite!!

Tulip hope you are ok!

Verano too and well done on your fab set of results!

Elle-Mae oh no sounds awful!! Hope you’re ok!

Happy new year to one and all, may 2022 be all that you want and better than 2021, look forward to catching up next week xx

Love to all

Lauren xx

• posted by Onestep
    on

Hi everyone!,

Happy new year to you all, it’s been weeks since I’ve posted, think I was avoiding having to coming to terms with I’ve wandered off the path but caught up with everyone’s news.
    Wendy and everyone thank you for keeping everything going I always knew you all would be here when I faced reality.
    Sg so pleased you got to see your family all be it with being a little apprehensive.
    Elle-mae glad you are out of isolation and sounds like you’ve done well, apart from the eye 😉
    Lauren you are in the wars, hope you are ok, take it easy and get the last few days of rest in before going back.
    Tulip I am with you, things creeping in and then bam, it’s weeks later jeans are let’s say snug.
    It’s been lovely to read the positives of Christmas and although my boys are getting older and Christmas is different it’s great to spend time with family who we don’t see through the year.
    So I’ve lost my way, found a could have small pieces of cake and still maintain but felt as I’d already lost 2 and a half stone that I needed to settle for a bit, enjoy new clothes and feel comfortable in my new size as still felt I looked the same as before. But then Christmas came and all the temptations and stress to make it a happy one for everyone and long story short, 11 lbs on, but after feeling dreadful for weeks, got to get back on it. BS is good, cholesterol doesn’t seem to have moved from 5.4 since I started back in June so I’m hoping restarting, getting another couple of stone off, getting me into a healthy bmi and cholesterol will go down.
    I’ve also shrank so back into the obese category on the bmi chart which was depressing but hey ho I know it’s not accurate but something to aim for.
    So long winded but it’s my accountability post and I’m sure I’ll be checking in regularly again to share advice and motivation.
    Xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Onestep ! Good to hear from you.! Don’t worry. You’re not alone in drifting off piste a bit but put it behind you and look forward to a fresh start.
    Watch out for our new weekly thread beginning next Tuesday. Hope to see lots more returners ! We’re in this together folks !

Please log in or register to post a reply.