Non scale victories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by misssay
    on

I thought a thread for non scale victories (NSVs) might be interesting, for us to share our non scale achievements on the BSD 800. I’ll start the ball rolling with a few of mine:

Sinus problems: 95% GONE

Two pairs of jeans now un-wearable (in public, anyway). One pair of stretch jeans now look like jodphurs around the thighs, so, although I didn’t measure my thighs, I must have lost some inches from there too.

One roll of fat less between bust and waist – the landscape there is now pretty flat down to my stomach wodge.
    I can easily put on socks and boots, and tie trainers, without needing to sit down (and the hopping around must count as a short burst of high intensity exercise, surely?)

More active weekends – out shopping all day Saturday, and on Sunday I spent two hours in the garden with OH, which included lifting and moving some pamment slabs, completely spring cleaned and tidied the bedroom, did three loads of washing and putting away, cooked dinner and still had some energy left for some intelligent conversation! No, really!

There are some more, but that’s enough for now. Do share!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great idea misssay.

Several pairs of trousers disposed of before they caused me considerable embarrassment in public.

Working my way down the smaller sizes in my uniform. Fortunately I kept them as I grew out of them. Down two blouse sizes, one skirt size. Funny how skirts get longer when you lose weight!

New tops and underwear bought in a size that doesn’t begin with a ‘2’. And from a regular shop, not one that only caters for ‘big people’.

Persistent cough gone. Cold-induced cough gone.

Blood sugars down. Blood pressure down.

Thinking clearly. Better concentration. More energy. Things don’t irritate me like they used to.

Sure there will be more later.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Love this idea and I’m happy to add my NSVs to the list

Sleeping better – not waking as often during the night and feel more rested in the morning.

More energy and feel more vital – actually want to get off the sofa and do something.

Skin more radiant – doesn’t look as tired and worn.

My waist has started to put in an appearance again and my tummy’s flatter – not talking wash-board you understand, but it is definitely not as bulgy.

Jean are looser – can get into my small ones and do them up, but I need to lose a pound or two more for them to be presentable in public.

Dress I want to wear to a wedding this weekend now fits properly again – and makes me look good!

Sinuses improved, even though I am now eating dairy again and this had always been an issue and caused me sinus problems in the past.

Finally – and I can’t say categorically that this is due to the diet, but – I have had a frozen shoulder for months, but since starting the diet it has improved drastically. I no longer need any pain killers at all and the mobility is also improving. This might be coincidental – and I’m sure the GP would say so if asked – but we all know this diet is changing our bodies, so I have to wonder if it might not be at least in part responsible for this change too.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Loads of clothes emerging from my ‘second’ wardrobe. I refused to get rid of them just because I had grown out of them. Now I have ‘new’ clothes to wear and no guilt as they cost me nothing!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Clothes a lot slacker, I’m going to need a full new wardrobe if I hit target before my June holiday
    Sleeping much better.
    No more metformin induced diahorrea
    The puppy is loving her long walks with daddy ๐Ÿ™‚
    Getting great compliments from friends and family
    Sitting watching the OH NOT eating chocolate and sweets while we watch TV
    I’m sure there are more but one of the most important is,
    Talking to all the new friends that I have met on this forum and helping new starters and anyone having problems.
    I get a real buzz from that.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just realised today I’d better buy some new trousers – these are getting somewhat loose. No belt loops, so that’s not an option.

Guess what I’ll be looking for on payday (Thursday)?

Large uniform blouses stripped of buttons and logo cut off ready to go in the bin so no confusion over which blouse to put on

Slowly getting wardrobe organised so only clothes that fit (or soon will fit) are left. All the clothes that are now yo big are being sent to charity shops or put in the bin. Sorry Bill but no rag and bone man here with balloons ๐Ÿ˜ณ And the scrap man doesn’t take clothes!

After years of living in navy my wardrobe is now becoming more colourful

From taking no care of myself, I’ve come to realise that I am worth taking care of. Also that the many people who depend on me do need me to be as healthy as I can be for as long as possible.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

What a very satisfying noise – butter bubbling away in a frying pan. Haven’t heard that in years!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Jeans feel looser. Legs and feet feel thinner.Boots feel looser around calves. Winter coat is very big on me now. I just feel lighter. My stomach feels flatter – prob due to very low carbs for over 2 weeks.
    P.S. I’m with Bill ‘re. the Metformin!!

• posted by zebbie
    on

Yay, great thread idea!

I got my favourite jeans back on, and they were comfortable:-)
    I don’t obsess about food anymore. I used to think about the next meal while I was eating, and snack constantly.
    Partner is now in the healthy BMI range, I am teetering on the line.
    Have incredible self control when everyone at work is eating donuts!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

All this talk of jeans! Can’t remember last time I wore jeans. Mmmm …. perhaps I should set myself a goal – to wear a pair of jeans ๐Ÿ˜ƒ In a small size, of course ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by misssay
    on

Ankles boots getting a bit loose around the ankles yesterday!

• posted by NewLife
    on

OMG OMG OMG

So excited – I can fit into my size 16 jeans ๐Ÿ™‚

2 weeks ago I was in 18-20 skirts as none of my jeans would fit. If this isn’t incentive not to bugger up over the weekend, I don’t know what is ๐Ÿ™‚

Also – other NSV –

My mood is sooooooo much better. Consequently I’m taking care of myself better, I dared to try out my Pilates dvd yesterday. I have more energy.

I want to have MM’s babies ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Food tastes GREAT now!

Great victories everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by misssay
    on

Energy! This is a big NSV for me. Today we emptied our utility room, (for that read dumping ground!) moved a whole load of cupboards, cleaned the walls and ceiling and painted the first coat (OH did ceiling and I did the walls). In the past, I probably would have had enough before we got to the painting, and then we would have got a takeaway, but today I had energy left to make our evening meal, on plan, and also to load up the slow cooker with Sunday’s lamb bone, onions, carrots, green lentils, wild garlic, parsley, rosemary and ground coriander to make a delicious soup ready for tomorrow. Still got some energy left too!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Wearing my first size 16 top in goodness knows how many years ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by SunnyB
    on

GO MISSSAY!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wearing a top I’ve been too chubby for in goodness knows how long and having a waist again.

• posted by Celsa
    on

I can fit into all my nice old clothes which I had gotten a size too big for! So my wardrobe options have expanded greatly. I’ve been wearing my nice black leather jacket loads, because the weather has been just right for it.
    I’m buying a new bikini – except it’s proving slightly problematic because I think my bra size has changed and I’m trying to work out what I am now! Ordered a bunch online to try on.
    I can cross my legs more comfortably now when sitting down.
    My nightly reflux has disappeared since reducing carbs.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OH letting me know she didn’t realise how well I was doing until she saw me without a shirt.
    Had to take a punch to my belt and make some more holes as I’ve run out of them now.
    A person I know ringing me last night to ask about the BSD. I’ve known him on and off for years and he’s been T2D far longer than me and has always said he wouldn’t diet, he was happy on meds. Until his brother told him what was happening to me.
    Great lift for the weekend ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I treated myself to a sale top today in a size 16 and it feels a bit baggy! Looking back through my old weigh in tickets printed out at Boots right back to 2010, I can’t believe that even now, still in the obese range at 13st, I was nearly 16st in 2010! (Most of that went down the loo when first starting metformin!!!) Onwards and upwards!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Leeanne – what a change! Fabulous! Doesn’t sound like your top will fit for long! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

For the first time in ages, I realised I actually enjoyed going food shopping today. I don’t cook fancy meals or follow recipes as such. Before the diet, I had gotten into a rut of buying very high carb ready meals that I didn’t find inspiring or particularly enjoyable but I didn’t know what else to eat. I hated food shopping then. But now I’m finding my meals more soul-satisfying, the idea that food is doing me good again instead of harming me is a really nice feeling!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great to hear, Janet! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by zzcanasta
    on

Top idea for a thread.
    (Background: had blood test in Jan 2016 because I was fairly sure I had gout. Blood test confirmed it, but also revealed I was pre-diabetic. Read MM’s book and started the BSD within 3 days)
    NSVs to date:
    1. No attacks of gout since starting diet – previously suffered bouts every 4-6 weeks. Get slight initial symptoms increasingly widely spaced, but they fizzle away overnight. No attacks since Jan.
    2. Skin has cleared up beautifully. Even my wife has noticed.
    3. Tons more energy.
    4. Sleep like a baby and awake refreshed.
    5. Proud owner of a waist, flat stomach and even some muscle tone due to the resistance exercises.
    6. Have dropped two trouser sizes and have had to buy replacements for pretty much everything (not complaining). Even the trousers I got married in 18 years ago are too big.
    7. Found my tastebuds.
    8. Took up yoga.
    9. Discovered dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa solids) after a lifetime’s aversion. Food of the gods.
    10. My 13-year-old son tells me I now ‘look cool’ (I’m 60 this year, so value a compliment such as that more than being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.
    11. Four work colleagues, two friends and an acquaintance have started the BSD as a direct result of seeing the results it’s had on me.
    I could go on, but…

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

Love reading all these NSV, they make the change in lifestyle much more real and personal. For me the biggest change is in the amount of money I spend on food. I only buy what I need, mostly fresh produce and not expensive package stuff and ready meals and pizza, no more adding multi pack buys of biscuits, chocolate, sweets, snacks and cakes. I think I have reduced my food bill by at least 50%. Oh and I can bend down and get out of my chair without the accompanying moans and groans and oohs and aahs. Fab

• posted by SunnyLife
    on

seeing my morning blood sugar is my biggest non-scale victory, I need this, my scale hasn’t moved in four days.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Perhaps not the most delicate subject but one that makes my life a little easier is the fact that I can actually bend down to cut my own toenails ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill i could always cut my toenails but now it is so much easier and I don’t have to wriggle to do it. I bet it is the same for most people on here who have lost weight. It’s a real bonus! : )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Judith
    I ould just about manage it but it’s much easier now ๐Ÿ™‚
    Into May ! Nearly holiday time for you ๐Ÿ˜€
    I still have to wait until June 9th and I so need a break ATM ๐Ÿ™

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, it’s wonderful how more agile we are without the stomach fat ๐Ÿ™‚

Only about a month for your hol Bill, It sounds as if you have been really busy!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thought I’d resurrect this thread, as I was itching to post a small triumph. This evening I have been able to put on three rings I haven’t been able to wear for years!! One of these is my engagement ring, so I’m happy dancing inside right now.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great result SunnyB ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Had more eye surgery this week but it went well an amazing surgeon and team long may it continue! The unit describe their patients as being part of their family ..bless the NHS

So NSVs

My blood pressure was way way down

I was able to wear a normal size hospital gown so much more dignified

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

1. being able to squat down to reach low shelves without a big belly making it really uncomfortable.
    2. Walking easily for long distances without aching hips, knees and feet. Not thinking anything of going back to get something as have so much more energy
    3. Not feeling that horrible sense of being ‘unwell’ which I didn’t know was being caused by high blood sugars
    4. Trying on and fitting into a pair of SIZE 12 Jeans after being 18-20 for at least ten years
    5. Having a thinner face instead of a giant moon face so don’t have to lash on so much shade on my cheeks
    6. Buying clothes because I like them rather than because they are the best at hiding all the fat
    7. Strange one this – but the relief of feeling freed from being enslaved by food. Not thinking about food all the time. Particularly unhealthy sugary and pastry rich junk food.
    8. Being able to cross my legs properly!
    9. Not feeling like I’m carrying round a load of exhausting blubber when exercising.

I’ll try and think of some more! x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Great list, I agree with all of them particularly number 7. I am sure most of us feel that strange sense of relief. I think i am relieved that my food slavery is sufficiently over now that I can happily select and carry around a plate of chocolate biscuits and cakes for guests and not be tempted to indulge, which I did today without a qualm, it is a fantastic feeling of empowerment.

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

So true – I think the big difference to me is the blood sugars. Now I know the damage high blood sugars can cause when I see the chocolate biscuits I think – is it really worth the rise in sugars I’ll see when I measure later? And I genuinely am not bothered about turning those chocolate treats and doughnuts down, (which were absolutely my go to comfort food) which is remarkable for me. I keep going on to dh about how magical and incredible this is and he’s so not impressed. He’s a skinny chap so really can’t appreciate how I can hardly recognise myself and how marvellous and strange that it! Luckily I know everyone on these forums completely understand.

• posted by cmawp
    on

Some nice anecdotes that resonate there Zimmerframe. I find myself making less noise when crouching down or getting up; tying shoelaces and putting on socks is now a swift, silent affair.

I absolutely understand the freedom and victory that comes with not noticing those treats. It’s a shame that some don’t understand our breakthrough but we can still celebrate and celebrate we should.

What was a permanent state of desire or need for me, has now turned into a simple decision and then I move on.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I can breathe through both nostrils and have a sense of smell. I’ve had sinus problems for 40 years and virtually no sense of smell all my life (only thing I could smell was petrol). Plus OH says my snoring isn’t as bad. Big result for me; minor improvement for him!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Number 7 for me too. When people talk about empowerment for me this is truly what it means. It’s almost like the weight loss is a bonus.

Do you find yourself looking at fat friends filling up on cakes etc and thinking that used to be me? I have one friend in particular who is just enlarging by the day and seems literally driven to eat but is so unhappy with her health and how she looks. I feel so sad for her and am hoping her time will come but I try not to shove the diet in her face. We have discussed BSD she seems keen but never actually starts but I guess that was me before May 31st this year.

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Does anyone else find it a little bit scary how easy the diet was? Hope I’m not speaking too soon, obviously, but this is pretty much the longer I’ve lasted on a diet with very few cheats and the weight came off relatively easily and a genuinely am not craving bread/chocs/doughnuts etc. Trust me I was MAJORLY into all of those… Week 9 now and just hoping I can stick at it until the other 2 stones have gone.
    Angiebabe – yes absolutely, and I try not to be smug as I was that massive chunk of flab stuffing and scoffing down crap as quickly as I could *shudder*. What it has made me realise is how many sugary carbs are being pushed at you whenever you go into shops – particularly at Xmas. Luckily I seem to be impervious to their charms. I was given a box of salted caramel truffle things last night and I ate two little ones and they were so sickeningly sweet I had to give all the rest to dh – who am I and what happened to the scoffer I once was!? ‘driven to eat’ is the perfect way to put it. Definitely like an addiction. I think being able to eat fat and protein really helps as you don’t feel deprived.

snoop – less snoring for me too!

cmwap – yes the grunting is definitely improving! Just not feeling like a balloon squeezed into place is so nice

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I find it scary but also a bit annoying. It is that easy, I should have been able to work it out for myself years ago, and since all of my absolute favourite foods are okay on it, I wouldn’t have wasted the last couple of decades getting heavier and heavier. I started so many diets that had a detox phase, varying lengths, where along with other foods the white stuff was cut out and I lost loads of weight, then when the next phase started and you reintroduced them, the weight loss slowed and stopped, and the carb monster was back. Why did I not put it together? When I started moving over to this diet it just felt right, almost instantly.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Zimmerframe
    Yes – that’s exactly how I feel. I have never been on a diet that was so easy. OK – the weight didn’t come off particularly fast for me as I am one of those ‘slow loosers’ – but I have not even had one mouthful of starchy/sugary carbs since 1st May (7 amazing months). Now I am the slimmest I have been since 1965 and look positively slender.

There is no way now I want to add the starchy sugary carbs back into my life. This way of eating has set me free from the horrible carb/sugar cravings, I am in remission from diabetes, have reversed the retinopathy and am no longer on insulin.

You are right about the shops being full of sugary carbs. There is aisle upon aisle of food that is just utter rubbish. If a large proportion of the population folllowed the BSD guidelines food manufacturers would be going bankrupt in their hundreds. Also, so would the pharmaceutical companies as a lot of the issues they treat are caused by us eating the bad stuff that food manufactures make.

My husband is so pleased that the BSD has cured my snoring. I am sure that is why he is supporting me so much on the BSD.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I agree with you guys, the BSD’s become a way of life and it’s seems to have been scarily easy. I still have a bit to go, but to be honest, in the run up to Christmas I took the decision to leave the push to loose the 10lb until after the Festive Season and I have not been counting the carbs this last week or so. Low and behold, I have lost just over a pound in that time – not huge, but a little in the right direction nonetheless.

Like other I have wasted years on pointless diets and am currently the lightest I’ve been for almost twenty years. It would have been lovely to discover this way of eating years ago, but I’m so grateful to have found it and be able to reap the benefits. Recently people I haven’t seen for awhile, have said how well I’m looking and I know this is due to BSD – thank you Dr M!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Festive Season and manages to control the carb temptations! Good luck to you all and best wishes for 2017. xx

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Just thought of another one! Pants no longer fold down and rub uncomfortably under my belly bulge! ๐Ÿ™‚ (plus fbg reading of 4.8 this morning) going in next week to have full blood readings. Diabetic nurse has given me a chance to see what effect the diet has before discussing meds. My last hbac (sp) was 53 – not good! – so fingers crossed it will be lower. Positive thinking to all!

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Ps well done on your fantastic progress KrysiaD

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Bought a belt on Wednesday. Size – small. Now have to return it and see if they have ‘extra small’. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m still getting used to buying ‘small’ tights etc. But ‘extra small’!

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Ha! Yes! So used to buying extra extra large tights and they were still too small and would
    Snap back and roll down. Now into medium! Yay!

• posted by fabulist
    on

Hello! I joined a few minutes ago and am really struck by what you say about your sense of smell. I lost mine about two years ago after recurring sinusitis and never thought there could be a link between my weight, my sugar and my sinuses. This is so hopeful — thank you for posting.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Fabulist, I had a bit of a diet break over the festive period, including eating bread (I’m not a diabetic). I’ve lost much of my sense of smell again but am hoping that it will return when I get back on the BSD seriously.

It is very odd having a sense of smell after not having one for almost my entire life. There was a period when I was happy just to smell the food other people were eating. Tangerines, I found, smell much better when they are being peeled than they taste when being eaten. And chocolate was odd – I could smell a piece being broken off a bar from several metres away. If you’re anything like me, your sense of smell will be more acute than that of people who have never lost it.

It doesn’t come back immediately. But wait a few weeks and you will be amazed.

• posted by fabulist
    on

A simply amazing story, thank you once again. I will certainly check back in and let you know how I’m doing. There is just so much we don’t know about the delicate, elaborate, connected way in which our bodies work. It’s so exciting to embark on this journey, and to expect to smell properly again!
    Have a wonderful day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.