Non diabetic Hypoglecymia and the BS Diet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pineapple67
    on

Hi just wondering if anyone here has non diabetic Hypoglecymia and using this diet to control it? I am thinking of trying it out as I know when I go low carb it is much better controlled but not sure if OK for this? Should I do anything different? I am not sure why my BS drops but it appears to be as a result of the food I eat. Fasting does not seem to affect it that much (that I know of). I have almost uncontrolled cravings and while not really over weight, my weight has creeped up and I would like to bring it back down a couple of kgs. Any advice welcomed!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Pineapple67 — welcome to the forums! Yes, the BSD will absolutely control your hypoglycemia and it is brilliant at doing so but it is absolutely critical that you cut right down on carbohydrate so your body can start burning fat.
    Dietary carbohydrate drives your insulin levels in your body and insulin is what I call “the sheriff”. Insulin locks your glucose in your fats cells, and won’t let it out. You are hypoglycemic because your body can not access your stored fat, even though you have pounds of stored fat.
    Lowering your carbohydrate intake to 20-30 grams per day is going to lower your insulin and you will be able to mobilize your body’s fat stores.
    That will stop hypoglycemia immediately.
    I recommend you get a copy of the book, “Why We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes. Best companion book to the BSD I have found. You will never look at carbohydrates the same way again.

• posted by Pineapple67
    on

Hi Californiagirl.
    Thanks so much for this. While I did find low carb helped before, I was worried that maybe it was causing me more issues, kind like rebound or something as my cravings for carbs and sugar have been like nothing before.
    Do you have non diabetic hypoglecymia yourself?

My GP finally took me seriously, after 3 years of going to him with this (and despite collapsing at finish of a half marathon) when I presented him with the read outs from my BS monitor. This means that I am finally currently undergoing tests to rule out any serious reasons behind it. I have to go for a fasting one on Friday, should I wait until after this test to start in earnest? I am afraid if I am low carb when I go, it may hide something important.

Incidently, this is one of the first book which made sense of all the other issues I’ve had along with this.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi.

It’s probably best to hold off on the diet until after the test, and to check with your doctor that it would be OK to do this. In the meantime you could cut out sugar and the worst of the carbs such as white bread and pasta. Doing that won’t harm you, but if you’ve got a serious underlying condition then it’s just possible that a big change in your diet and drop in calorie intake might not be good.

• posted by Pineapple67
    on

Thanks squidge
    I haven’t eaten bread potatoes or pasta in about 3 years. I couldn’t tolerate them. Found I would be unable to keep my eyes open when I ate them. So I am already fairly low carb compared to a ‘regular’ diet.
    I’ll wait just in case as I am that long waiting already it won’t do me any harm! 😊… but as far as talking to doctor, it’s a waste of time in my experience. He gave me BS monitor then seem to forget he did, he brushed aside any conversation I attempted regarding this until I demanded to be referred, and told me he knows nothing about diet. 🤔 I wonder what sort of Dr’s are we training sometimes. Anything I found about us through my own research.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I would wait also Pineapple, until your test is done. That way you will have an accurate reflection of your “normal”.
    I suffered hypoglycemia for years, but only two events since I reached maintenance two years ago — both were when I ate a big sugar dessert when I was very hungry (worst was butterscotch pudding at a wedding).
    Other than that, I’ve been at maintenance for two full years and no other hypoglycemic events — and I fast now for up to 24 hours with no problem except 24 hours is about my personal limit because I get sort of “stupid” (my brain just isn’t in gear and I “think” for a living!)
    I think if you stay under 40-50 grams of carb (and this is complex carbs, not bread or rice or grains or cereals or sugars) per day you will probably control your hypoglycemia but you can try even lower if necessary to establish a baseline for your own personal carb limit. Every person is different — your responses are unique to you — so work on finding the best carb level for your body.

• posted by Pineapple67
    on

OK, I might as well do so. Especially as its only 6 days now.😊 I am glad to see that I finally appear to be going on the right road. I have struggled for so long, sometimes thinking I had it sorted only for me to get what appeared like a hypo right out of the blue.
    As I mentioned, I went low carb a number of yrs ago this was to treat bad ibs flare ups and extreme tiredness. I have since found that any pulses and grains do not agree with me. So I have steered away from them and fruits too. I was wondering if my recent carb and sugar cravings/hypos had something to do with me cutting too much out. But in hindsight the bit of cake/biscuit/ ice cream/chocolate/desert was probably adding up to more than I realised.😃
    At least this gives me a chance to have my house cleared of anything I shouldn’t have 😁

Please log in or register to post a reply.