No-Sugar chocolate … any ideas

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by feltwicked
    on

Hi everyone,

My partner and I just remembered seeing no-sugar chocolates (and other sweets) in our local chemist. We’ve had them before we discovered the BSD and they are very nice. My query is, how do they rate for this diet? I won’t have the opportunity to check out the ingredients and nutrition info on the packet until tomorrow as it’s Sunday afternoon here Down Under.

Any heads up warnings or positives I can glean?

Thanks
    FeltWicked.

• posted by Frog
    on

HI FeltWicked
    in the UK Tesco sell no added sugar chocolate – the brand is Chocologic, but I’ve only found it in Tesco
    It’s OK, but still 1/5 sugar – and 1/3 carbs
    it wasn’t particularly rich (or good) so easy to eat a lot of it – you’re probably better with a good quality dark chocolate where you’ll feel sated by a couple of squares.
    I find cocoa powder made to a drink with sweetener – I use 1/4 teaspoon of Stevia – and a dash of milk is a good way of getting an occasional low sugar low carb chocolate shot.

nutrition for the milk Chocologic (100g)
    Energy 484kcal
    Carbohydrate 33.7g
    sugars 20.9g
    Fibre 17.0g
    Protein 7.9g

• posted by feltwicked
    on

Thanks Frog,

We have been having a square (or two) of dark chocolate, “Alter Ego Dark Blackout Organic Chocolate”, bought from Woolworths (one of Australia’s versions of Tesco) Nutritional info is per 100g: 588kcal, 35g Carbs (15g sugar). The serving size recommended is 20g (2.5 squares) but we only have 1 square each – about 47kcals, 3g carbs (1.2g sugar).

I am notorious for hating chocolate drinks, hot, cold, milkshake, thick shake , and I loathe malted milk drinks – yuck! I love milk, and I love eating chocolate – I know I’m weird. I also do not have a sweet tooth, thank goodness, but I do have a meat pie tooth, if that’s a thing. Point me toward a pie, or a hot curry, and I’m a goner, well figuratively.

It’s great to note that I have not transgressed during the 3 and a bit weeks I’ve been on this diet, nor have I been hungry. I see the meat pies and say, “That’s nice.” and walk on by without a moment’s further thought.

I’ll investigate the no-sugar chocs for research in the morning and post my findings.

FeltWicked

• posted by feltwicked
    on

Well we did the investigations and found the brand is called “The Sugarless Co” which is misleading as there is plenty of sugar still in their chocolate per 100g: 509kcal; 14g Carbs (14g sugar); 45g Maltitol. I checked up Maltitol and it’s an alcohol- based sugar with 90% of the sweetness of sugar but only 2.1 cals per gram (I don’t know if that’s really kcals or just cals). There are unpleasant side-effects – here’s a dire warning on a website http://www.livestrong.com/article/250589-negative-side-effects-of-maltitol/
    The sweets are worse as they contain no sugar but heaps of Maltitol and other such alcohol-sugar derivatives.

So, sticking with the nuts and the dark chocolate.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I find it very strange that some people are finding chocolate harder to give up than alcohol
    I was a proper choccyholic before the BSD and ate at least 1 large bar per day as well as choccy biscuits etc.
    Now I don’t even think about it and can sit in the room with the kids and grandkids happily munching away on the stuff without it bothering me in the least.
    Beware the no sugar stuff though.
    I tried 2 different brands last year and they both were the most effective laxative I have ever had 🙁

• posted by Frog
    on

I did eat a bar (100g) I think of the Tesco chocologic one earlier in the year (pre BSD) – I think in one sitting, but certainly in the same day, without any ill effects.
    Amazingly, no particular chocolate cravings this first week on BSD, but then I have had cocoa two or three times.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

I have discovered ‘no added sugar chocolate with xylitol sweetener’

how bad is this for the BSD ?

anyone else had / tried / know ?

mix of cocoa and soya

plamilfoods,co.uk

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’d be cautious 54andfatnomore. Less calories, but still a sugar alcohol. It can cause unfortunate gastric side-effect😱

Eating or drinking artificial sweeteners doesn’t encourage us to lose our sweet tooth😢

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

Hi feltwicked,
    I have deviated from the diet slightly when i need a chocolate fix. Haighs milk chocolate frogs are 75 calories each and satisfy the sweet/chocolate craving especially the peppermint frogs. I figure i am going to be on this longer than the 8 weeks and I will binge if i completely deprive myself so i would rather have a small quantity of the real thing.

• posted by feltwicked
    on

I know what you mean Wilma. I have deviated (yes I like the word) from the full 800 diet over the last few weeks. I hit a great milestone when getting completely off all medication, and I didn’t so much fall off the wagon, instead I’m hopping behind it with one foot stuck on the tail board.

I’ve still a few kilos to lose but my mass is in a much better place now.

I chomp on 90% cocoa chocolate, having a touch more than I really should – if you can call eating half the block instead of one segment “a touch”. Still my weight has been maintained fairly evenly.

My partner and I are transferring to the 5:2 diet with low carbs throughout. That way we lose weight and still get the yummies we were avoiding.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Why eat no sugar chocolate when chocolate is allowed on this diet, just make sure it is 70% or more. The higher the cocoa content the less milk and sugar they put in. I hate milk chocolate and love the very dark stuff so it is easy for me to say but you can change your taste buds and this is partly what this diet is about.

Please log in or register to post a reply.