No such thing as an obesity crisis?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but couldn’t think of a better.
    There is a short (2 ½ minutes) clip currently (10/7/17) on the BBC News website featuring an American Professor of Social and Health Psychology who claims that there is no such thing as an obesity epidemic. She claimed:-
    1. Obese people do not have shorter lifespans than non-obese people – the underweight are more likely to have reduced lifespans than average
    2. Only the very obese (but she doesn’t quantify what she means by very obese) are likely to have shorter lifespans.
    3. She accepts that obese people are more likely to become diabetic and suffer from cardio-vascular disease, but she claims that obese people are less likely to die of these conditions than the non-obese.
    4. More important than weight is lack of exercise and that the real killers aren’t obesity but a sedentary lifestyle, a low income, and insufficient health care
    5. It is blood pressure that is the true health indicator, not weight.
    The lady didn’t quote any facts and figures to support her claim, although to be fair, in a two and a half minute sound bite that probably was never going to happen – but her comments do seem a bit odd, to say the least. Coupled with screen shots of a variety of high carb foods, the professor seems to be encouraging a total disregard of diet. I can image some people thinking ‘Oh, well – getting fat is no big deal’
    Oh, and blood sugar didn’t even get a mention.
    Anyone else seen the item?
    Mike

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Hi, not seen this but I have seen a number of documentaries on Netflix that says the opposite. I was already a vegetarian before watching these but have changed my food further to avoid dairy whenever possible.

The short clip you mention seems to suggest the link between obesity and diabetes so perhaps this is enough of a warning to us to achieve a lifestyle change.

on

I see what you mean, but I think that the message that came across from the professor would often be interpreted as ‘don’t worry if you are obese and even if you do contract diabetes or cardio-vascular disease, you’ll do better than those who aren’t obese.’ For someone who is obese and looking for comfort rather than cure, that clip – to my mind – tends to provide it.
    Mike

on

Just gone back on the BBC news website and I see that Professor Mann’s clip is the third most viewed of the day to date.
    Mike

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Hi I watched the clip. I know what you mean about getting some comfort as I too struggle with obesity. From what I have learned, eating large amounts of low carbs and plant based food will prove impossible not to lose weight due to the low calorific value. Keep at it, it will work even if nothing happens in the first few weeks.

on

Thankfully, I’ve already succeeded pretty well with the diet and am managing to maintain things – my concern was what, to my mind, is a misleading message to folk who are obese that it’s nothing to worry about. I’ve been trying – without success – to find any stats that back up Professor Mann’s claim that obese folk survive diabetes and cardio-vascular illness better than the non-obese, but on the face of it it seems very counter-intuitive.
    Mike

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mike – I agree that the message from this American Professor is misleading. Thank goodness I didn’t see this clip before I started the BSD as i might have been very confused and it might have stopped me starting the BSD. This would have resulted in me hurtling towards even more severe problems with diabetic retinopathy, macular oedema and neuropathy in my right foot.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes my resting heart rate was 122. When I started the BSD it was 98. It has very very slowly dropped since starting BSD in May 2016 and is now 65. I am sure it will continue dropping.

Even the American Professor must concede that the 3 stone weight loss has left me much healthier with diabetes in remission, diabetic retinopathy, macular oedema and neuropathy reversed and a resting heart rate much more in the normal range. Who knows what other good things are going on unseen inside my body.

on

Exactly – and like so many folk on here, you have recognised the dangers, dangers of which she seemed to be in denial. What really puzzles me is her claim that the obese survive diabetes and cardio-vascular diseases better than the non-obese.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.