NHS Dietary Advice from our professionals

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

In my local hospital there is a leaflet aimed at cardiology patients. The title of it is “Facts on Fats”. I share some of the statements made in it to illustrate the conflicts that “we” may be aware of, but that are still being pushed as the right way to eat. Of course we must not let our new found knowledge challenge anyone’s professional standing but it is interesting to note the approach compared to what we are all trying to do now, with BSD and Fast 800. It was “Produced by the Dietitians of Bedford Hospital and Beds & Shires Health and Care NHS Trusts” (NB Ed note: Dieticians is an alternate correct spelling, perhaps a more common spelling that also denotes “an expert on diet and nutrition” ref Oxford Dictionary.

Para 1 “Fats have over twice as many calories as sugar, so if you are trying to lose weight reduce the amount you eat.”
    Para 2 ” Most of us eat too much fat. This can lead to heart disease (even if you’re not overweight), so TRY TO EAT LESS FAT.”

Advisory statements follow:
    “….baked beans…. on toast try omitting butter…. completely”
    “Use less butter on jacket potatoes, mashed potatoes….”
    “Try semi-skimmed or skimmed milk instead of whole….”
    “If you cut down on fat you will need more potatoes, bread, pasta or rice to stay the same weight. Don’t be tempted to add extra butter or margarine.”
    “Use less oil in salad dressings.”
    “Eat less fat,…”

This advice was published in the Bedford’s Cardiology Department in 2015

If I were a cardiology patient it would be part of my treatment to be offered this advice, that I may question aspects of.

Perhaps we could collect some other examples and feed them into The Prof or the Doc for informed opinions?

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Could we have the above comments in idiot language just for me thanks

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Alan, as you will soon see there is no magic – the principles seem sound. I am retired and have more time to sort food but the bottom line is reduce cereals (not oats though), bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, sweets, cakes and biscuits and replace them with eggs, fish, dairy, oily fish etc as per the book but still eat a wide variety of foods and you will find that carbs provided your food cravings. Reducing sugar intake is a brilliant way to feel better fast for most of us. I have lost 30 pounds since Feb 8th but am still over weight in BMI terms. I find the dietary advice fairly simple to follow and I virtually gave up milk due to its high sugar content – I now have less than 30 gm/day. Many people reduce their blood glucose levels easily some less so. My blood pressure is way down now at rest on waking, and heart rate too. I am so much fitter and healthier in this short time I cannot believe it really given how rough I was in the New Year. Good luck but you will not need luck it is a well used and successful methodology and most fats don’t seem that bad according to many new sources. We shall be proved right or wrong quite quickly and I know how I am feeling and looking now.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I translate all those phrases as ‘just eat cardboard as that’s how good carbs taste without the fat! Not to mention the actual health consequences of stuffing ourselves with stodge. No doubt those leaflets are years old. I wonder how many years it will take to get rid of them?

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

This particular document is current, newly printed and on display for outpatients at cardiology reception – that’s part of the point it was published only months ago.

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is scary stuff. Need more carbs???? Crikey.

• posted by Garden78
    on

There’s some good videos on You Tube by Ken Sikavis and Rogan Chattergee. I think I did a search for low carb. The former is medically orientated about fats and cholesterol and why your bad fats drop with a low carb and high fat diet. The science is coming together but there is obviously dissention amongst the medical ranks. Rogan is a British GP who did a series recently working with patients in their homes . 2 of the diabetics benefited from a low carb diet although he recommends you eat 5 portions of veg as well as cutting out all processed carbs and eating healthy fats such as advocado, olives, fish and meat . He was contacted by British dietitions afterwards who disagreed with him and they usually have a significant role regarding the content of advice leaflets given out at hospital. It’s still seen as a controversial approach by many but see yourself as a trail blazer. The results however speak for themselves and my blood sugar has gone from 10.3 down to 5.3. I’ve lost a lot of fat as well!

Please log in or register to post a reply.