Newly diagnosed – confused by numbers …

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by emu
    on

OH and I are embarking on the 800 calorie diet following his diagnosis as T2. He has no symptoms, but it was picked up when we registered with a new GP. On the one hand, good news, on the other we are a little confused because the various tests appear to be contradictory (they may not be, it may be our understanding). Can you any one advise?

A urine test showed a small leak of sugar through the kidneys.
    A finger prick test taken at the same time (11am, 3 hours after white bread breakfast (i.e. no fasting)) with a reading of 6.
    An HbA1c test was then done which returned 48 mmol/mol – the entry point for a diagnosis of full diabetes,

Since those tests (last week) there has been no further sign of sugar in urine (tested with diastix).

My question is, is it possible to have a 48 HbA1c result and with a ‘peak’ blood sugar reading of just 6?

Why my query? I have an insulin dependent diabetic dog – and if we ever get him down to ‘6’ on a blood spot we’re thrilled and it means his long term blood sugar levels are low too.

I don’t think we’re in denial about the diagnosis, but would like to better understand it. We are embarking on the 800 diet as we realise this is a ‘red flag’ event (and although I passed the urine test, I know that I have plenty of issues with over-large waist and visceral fat).

From this baseline we’re hoping to reverse the diagnosis …

Lots of fab info on this site and plenty to get to grips with. We’d just like to understand the initial results a bit better.

Thanks

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi emu yes there are lots of numbers but I think the most important/useful one may be the HbA1c which gives an average measurement over the previous 12 weeks. It would seem that your husband just falls into the ‘diabetic’ band. Lots of people have symptomless T2 I’m afraid.

Personally, and some people may disagree with me, unless you are taking insulin, I think finger prick tests can be a waste of time. They only give you the level of blood sugar at that precise moment in time and there are so many factors that can raise your BS that , I feel, you can worry without cause, or vice versa and carry on eating with gay abandon.

This way of eating is proven to work and as your husband’s diagnosis is so new he should be able to reverse his T2. You don’t mention medication, so I assume none had been prescribed. Follow the plan for 8 weeks and then get a further test.

Just one point, this is a lifestyle plan and not just a ‘diet’ for 8 weeks to ‘cure’ diabetes. In saying that, weight loss should help to reduce blood sugar but it’s the carbohydrates that are the real villain here. Once diabetes is in remission it’s a case of trial and error to see which of the simple carbs, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes can be reintroduced into the diet. Personally having managed to beat my diabetes into remission I still don’t eat any of the above but do have carbs in other forms. It’s horses for courses!

Best of luck on the journey and ask if you need help somebody is bound to have faced the same issue in the past.
    P.S. can’t help with doggy BS but I’m sure there will be somebody here who can!

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks Verano. Very reassuring on the numbers. It’s quite challenging, as there’s little chance to form these questions while in with the GP.

Medication (x3) was mentioned, but OH is not keen – and that is a good driver for the diet and lifestyle change. I also suspect it was intended to spook him, as he was also given the title of a ‘Reverse your diabetes ‘ book. Unfortunately, to compound the diagnosis, a shoulder injury, and old knee injury have resulted in reduced fitness. The latter will not get better, and we’re exploring surgical options for the former – so we can get on with cycling, tennis etc. again.

The diet change, as a permanent plan, is long overdue – albeit a little daunting. A penchant for pasta, french bread, toast and potatoes has probably finally taken its toll. That said, we love fish, chicken and veggies, and are up for trying new things – so we’re not daunted. We are doing this together, to make it easier (finally, I get a dieting buddy!). Sadly, for me at least, this also involves learning how to cook properly.

We hope to get him into remission PDQ, and for me to avoid a future diagnosis. So far, four days in, I’m feeling fairly good, but OH is struggling with feeling ‘odd’ – but neither of us are hungry. That said, I am glad that my 6pm 4-mile run has just been postponed – I might tackle something a little shorter/closer to home on 800 calories!

As for the dog – three years of treating him for diabetes does at least mean we have some insight, and the dietary changes we have imposed on him rather point the way for us humans (no grains, no potatoes, no treats!).

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi emu and Verano — welcome emu and interesting discussion. I was interested in the dog with diabetes — we have a dog that we call our little “village dump” dog — she could survive if Armegeddon hit, she eats everything and anything and when she goes outside her incredible nose finds every dead thing around and she eats it (try taking it away — she is quick and wily) — at one point our vet said to make sure she doesn’t gain more weight (she is chunky but not obese) and I started to wonder if a BSD type diet would work for weight control for dogs? She currently eats expensive “no grain” dog food but maybe we should try a low carb doggy diet? Any one tried it?
    Back to humans! Emu, you are going to find this diet/way of eating wonderful. And you don’t have to cook fancy or even recipes from the book — I kept my food simple with roasted meats, stews, salads, stir frys etc. and lots of great flavors like salsas and spices and chilies — you can alter almost anything to BSD-friendly food by pulling out the carbs. Just get creative with “substitutions” and you will be there!
    And right at first, don’t worry too much about the physical injuries limiting the exercise — just the walking and HIT will do the trick — you can use a rower or a bike or swimming — so many good options if you have an injury. I actually found that hard and big exercise got in the way of losing weight because I got too famished by big workouts — moderate exercise worked perfectly and I didn’t lose any muscle or fitness along the way. So just find what you can do and do that!
    Best of luck — you and OH sound like you will be very successful!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Welcome Emu, and good luck on reversing your husband’s diagnosis.

I’m afraid I’m no help whatsoever with the numbers, as I have no experience of T2, but thought I would jump in on Californiagirl’s comment about low carb diets for dogs. My two (non-diabetic) exceedingly active collies are fed a virtually carb-free raw diet. One of them is grain-intolerant, which is why we chose raw as there are absolutely no fillers in it and it’s obviously easier for them both to eat the same and, having fed raw for the past 6 years I would never feed anything else – the only downside is the necessary freezer space required. I buy frozen ready-prepared food, and all it contains is 85% (human grade) meat and offal, plus veg and a few healthy additives such as salmon and coconut oil. They love it, and are slim and exceedingly healthy. I have never yet met an overweight raw-fed dog – though they may exist, of course! Added benefit is the lack of “waste product” at the other end😜

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks Californiagirl. I think my cooking skills are partly responsible for a reliance on carbs, but I’m not too old to change (hopefully OH will manage it too). Low carb for dogs could be interesting … I suppose our dog’s food is ‘low carb’ just not presented that way – but I do think I’m possibly the only dog-owner in the supermarket looking for calorie counts on dog food tins!

Hi Theodora, raw is my back stop plan … he’s a fussy little beggar (worse than me!) … and it’d have to be frozen, I’m a little squeamish about what sits in my fridge!

Surprised myself today. Snuck out of the office (a home office) and really fancied a snack. This would usually be sugary and all the wrong things (I’ve yet to chuck out offending remnants of our old diet) but I headed straight to the fridge and tried blueberries instead. Bit squishy, not awfully chocolatey, but they did the job …

on

Hi Everyone — I’m going to look into a raw diet for my little chunky dog — she seems to be hungry ALL THE TIME — does that strike a chord? I think she is having trouble accessing her fat stores! LOL!! Too many carbs!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Californiagirl, firstly let me say that we are thinking about everyone in California during these dreadful fires, and really hope you are safe, well and, hopefully, unaffected?

Sorry, completely off topic, but If you decide to go down the raw route, please remember that it takes a while for the dog to adapt. There are no fillers, so the food is all digested quite quickly, with very little “waste product”, but it does take a dog a while to get used to the feeling of having an empty stomach (sound familiar?😝) but, in my experience, after the first few weeks they adapt and certainly my boys don’t tend to look for anything extra, though of course, they wouldn’t turn down a sausage or a piece of cheese!😜 But then, neither would I – well the cheese, anyway!😛

Emu, frozen human grade ready prepared from a reputable company is definitely the easiest way to go, as long as you have enough freezer space. I have a dedicated dog freezer, and order it online every month or so, with free delivery. Works a treat and my boys, who are also fussy eaters, just love it.

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks Theodora. Good news on the freezer space … we’re no longer keeping spare loaves of bread … making all the space we need!

Eight days (trying not to count – honest!) and we’re doing okay. Losing weight and getting to grips with our new food options/choices. Slightly missing the carbs … but I have rediscovered strawberries (not too many a day though). I think OH is finding it harder, but is sticking with it and surprising me with his determination to get through the first phase.

• posted by emu
    on

Okay, I’m sorry but I’ve got another numerical query … about blood spot testing before and after breakfast (just before and then two hours later).

In moral support I’m doing this with OH, but we’re getting what from my background reading are unusual results. For example, this morning, pre-breakfast (after 11 hours without food) my reading was 4.8, while OH was 5.6. This seems okay, both within ‘normal’.

But two hours later my reading was 5.6 – kind of expected after a meal, but OH was 4.8. It’s not the first time his level has gone down over/after a meal …

We’re slightly bemused (and OH is the diagnosed diabetic). Is this normal/possible/likely?

The fact both OH’s readings are in the ‘normal’ range is, I think, good news. We’re still sticking to the diet, losing weight a little slower now, but keeping positive.

If OH is to return to his GP for a second HbA1c test (did I get that right) to find out if the diet is successful, should we go at 8 weeks, or leave it longer?

Thanks for all and any advice.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi emu as I’ve said before I think finger prick tests are way too random to be of anything more than a very rough guide. To answer you question yes, why not try and get a further HbA1c after 8 weeks. Your doctor may or may not want to do one as they usually leave 6 months between the tests unless there is a problem. Sometimes money is an issue so they may be reluctant but they may agree to one at 3 months. Just ask the question and good luck!

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks Verano, as long as it’s not us …

Will try the GP at the 8-week point. I get the question of funding, but OH really needs to know it’s working – and would love the GP to be able to say, yup, it’s ‘normal’ again … or at least heading that way. And it’s not like we can pay for these tests elsewhere – or can we?

I pay for them quarterly for my dog 😉 – but I’m no sure the vet surgery is quite the right setting for the humans.

OH was so taken aback by the original ’48’ he’s determined to get it reversed/resolved as quickly as possible.

• posted by emu
    on

Following the support and advice gleaned from across the forums I thought it only fair to offer an update. We’ve just entered week 8, and the 800 target is not feeling quite such a challenge now. OH suffered with carb flu in the early days but is now just intermittently hungry. I’ve generally felt better, though have been battling a tummy bug for three weeks – which has made me lust after ‘comfort food’ – but I’ve only given in once (mac and cheese when my stomach was yearning for something ‘else’).

To date we’ve both lost 7.5 kg, that’s almost 10% for OH and 10% for me. I’ve got a little further to go, but OH will be aiming to stop weight loss shortly.

Other good news – OH’s blood sugar is down. To us it never seemed that high, but today we were thrilled when it came in at 4.6 before breakfast and just 4.9 two hours later. He’s really struggled with the liver dumping glucose in the mornings (consistent fasting readings of 5.5-6.0 and then lower post-prandial readings) – hopefully we see today’s pattern replicated in future. I’m not doing BG as I’m not diabetic (just overweight and conscious of the need to act before my diet really impacts health).

Exercise is a moot point. OH has increased his dog walking but with a knackered knee and shoulder anything more enthusiastic is difficult. That said, he’s now waiting for a date for shoulder surgery, so he should be back on track next year time. I’ve found the weight loss fantastic as I run, and it’s amazing how much easier it is with 7.5 kg less to lug around!

We’ll hopefully get an HbA1c review in the not too distant future, and we’re looking forward to working out how to increase intake with out increasing carbs at the weekend 🙂

on

Good morning emu! Wow, your post is a fantastic report of your very very successful 8 weeks — you and your husband have done so well! Obviously the two of you are a good team — which one of you discovered the BSD and was it easy to talk the OH into following it too? I’m sure there are many people who would love to get their Other Half involved — what is your advice on how to get going together?
    I know what you mean about how much easier exercise is without all the excess to carry around — it is fun to feel light on your feet again — for many of us that was an old childhood memory and so much fun to rediscover.
    Best wishes as you go forward (with your bit more to lose) and move on to maintenance! Sounds like you’ve got it cracked — well done!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi emu, the liver dumping can be eased by having a small snack before bedtime so the liver detects food and doesn’t think you are starving. It is known as The Dawn Phenomenon – I can never spell that, look it up and read about it on here or generally on the internet.

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl – can’t see an issue with getting OH to have a snack before bed … it makes sense, will try it this evening (well he will).

Thanks for your message Californiagirl – I’ve been lucky, the OH got a ’48’ in a random HbA1c test carried out when registering with a new doctor. Good to catch it early, but he was very upset by it. Hence the diet. I really thought it would be hard to keep him on the ‘straight and narrow’ but actually he’s been very focused – a bit too easily tempted by snacking on nuts – but otherwise very focused and so far so good it’s paying dividends.

I’ve tried low fat dieting for years, with initial success followed by failure and feeling rubbish, which in turn led to weight gain. This has been a real eye-opener, I haven’t been this weight (65kg) for the best part of 15 years. I can bend down and even ride my bike without my tum getting in the way.

On the other hand OH was TOFI – quite trim, with a small tum but not ‘soft’ so he didn’t feel there was an issue. Fortunately we both saw the Michael Mosley documentary about T2 and low carb – been trying to find it again, but to no avail – so he was quite keen to give the diet a go (anything instead of tablets!).

Onward and upward. Next step is to tackle the GP about a second HbA1c before Christmas to (hopefully) show it’s working. We may fall off the wagon slightly over the holiday period – but at least we now know it’s not too hard to get back on again 🙂

• posted by JimmyLanger
    on

Hi Emu,

You replied to my own post recently over in the fast 800 forum as me and your OH seem to be in very similar positions. I can totally relate to the shock of a T2 diagnosis and the disappointment it can bring.

Just to give you an update and hopefully some positive motivation. I’ve had my second HAB1C test today (after 5 weeks on the fast 800/900). I too was keen to wait a bit longer to give time to let the diet work. Anyway it seems I needn’t have worried.

Crazy results I’m down from 49mmol (diabetic) to 33mmol (well into normal range). Oh and also 11kg (24lbs) lighter already. My GP (well nurse) experience has been very positive. They were open minded and endorsed a diet first approach Also they wouldn’t diagnose on a single test hence insisting on the retest. I’m not sure if they will suggest another in 3 months or so?

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Hi Emu
    Well done to both of you for the results achieved! I had an Hb1ac done about 4 weeks in – fortunately the GP was happy to do it (I gave both the GP and our practice diabetes nurse – the latter VERY antagonistic when I told her what I was doing – the information sheet that you can download from this site, specifically for health professionals. It is recommended in the sheet that frequent testing initially is advisable because of the possible rapid weight loss (compared with other diets in the past, where much slower losses were advised). After just 4 weeks my Hb1ac was down from 64 to 40 – I too had refused the meds preferring to follow the BSD. Now, after just over 3 months, I asked if they would do a full set of tests, including cholesterol etc, because of the significant weight loss (almost 3 stone) and the GP agreed with no problems, and my Hb1ac is now down to 32. Plus my cholesterol is down to 3.3 and triglycerides to 1.6 (both had been way more previously) proving the diet is not only holding the diabetes at bay, but reducing other health risks too. I”m due to see the GP next week in the hope of reducing/stopping the cholesterol meds I currently take. I have fully embraced this way of eating, and have no intentions of slipping back – the risks as a type 2 diabetic are too great. It will remain in remission only as long as I keep to the plan – if not, it, along with all the associated risks (loss of limbs/sight etc).

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Emu, JimmyLanger and Eliza52,

Emu – I’ve just read this post and wanted to say I was diagnosed with diabetes in August and have been testing my blood sugars daily – like your husband I needed to know what was happening. My blood sugar readings have been similar to his 4’s and 5s. I had my first post-diagnosis hba1c results a couple of weeks ago and it is down to 35 – back in the normal range – it was much higher than your husband’s on diagnosis – so fingers crossed for when he gets his next hba1c result. (Btw, I left arranging my hba1c until 4 months rather than 3 months to cover the period I felt I’d been doing the diet properly – first couple of weeks were trial and error for me!)

Jimmy and Eliza52 – congratulations to both on your Hba1c scores. Jimmy, isn’t it great to know that this way of eating is so effective.

Eliza52 – those cholesterol results are also great – I remember you were concerned about them. Can I ask if there was anything special you did that might have helped bring them down or was it just losing weight and following the diet. My cholesterol in August was 6.1. I accessed my November Hba1c results online (don’t see the nurse until 27 December) but there was no updated cholesterol figure, so don’t know if it is up or down. I’m going to speak to the nurse about it but wondered if you have any advice/can give me an idea of what you did.

Marie

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Hi Marie123

Firstly, thank you, and yes, I”m thrilled with the results! My cholesterol has never been WAY out of range, just the top level of normal (don’t have the figures, but I think around 5.5 or 5.6?) But my triglycerides were ridiculously high. When they were first tested about 25 odd years ago they were something like 29! (normal upper limit 2!). They repeated the test as they thought there was an error – that is that they thought I should be dead already with readings like that! It came back a fraction less but still mid 20s. I’ve been on Fenofibrate 267 ever since, plus, more recently, statins. I know that triglycerides, as opposed to cholesterol, although they too are fat in the blood, are not CAUSED by fat, but by sugars. I imagine therefore that the reduction in carbs is the cause of the drastic normalisation. I didn’t eat cakes and biscuits much anyway, but I did have ice-cream for dessert several times a week, and things like mango, chutneys, dried fruit, along with pasta, rice etc. Since starting the BSD, I have had NO potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, bread, cakes, ice-creams, tropical fruits (I eat a small – kids – apple chopped in a salad two or three times a week, and strawberries with balsamic vinegar or raspberries and yogurt most evenings for dessert). However, I also have a dodgy gall bladder and I can’t eat high fat. Some things in particular trigger it – flax seed for one! I couldn’t eat eggs for a couple of months, but I can now eat one at a time – so fried egg on a celeriac rosti, cooked with a few cubes of pancetta and a little chopped shallot, for breakfast (yummy!). Cheese I have to be VERY careful with – I do courgettes with tomatoes in the oven (evenly slice both, and mix with a spoonful of red pesto, layer in a tray, overlapping slices – I do three courgette slices, one of tomato and so on, one slice overlapping the other. Bake at 180 for 20 mins, then I sprinkle with a very small amount of Panko crumbs – yes, I know that’s bread, but i use about 1 tbs for two of us, and the calorie/carb count of that amount is minimal, and grated cheddar – 2 oz for two, and bake for another 15 mins. It’s great with salmon fillet, and two good veg!) I can’t eat haloumi for example, or cooked mozzarella (or even uncooked real full fat bufalo). I do limit oils too, purely because of gall bladder, but I use spray oil fairly liberally, and a teaspoon of sesame oil for a stir fry. So I’m probably having less fat than most. However, some people have high cholesterol because of a gene defect – my dad had it (I was tested for it, and fortunately I don’t, which may be why my levels for that have not been too outrageous previously). But I suppose it could explain why even with healthy eating, your levels remain elevated. Though I would also say, wait til you see your latest results – if you had a recent blood test, and they did the cholesterol, you should be able to ring the surgery and ask for the results – that’s what I did as I’m not due to see GP til next week, and I couldn’t wait to see what they were!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Eliza52

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to give such an extensive reply. Goodness, given your history, that is a fantastic result for your triglycerides.

I’ve really focused on 800 cals/20g carbs for the 4 months I’ve been doing the BSD and have done really well like you and Jimmy in getting my hba1c down to 35. But, I’ve recently been conscious that I need to think about my cholesterol level. When I saw the practice nurse in August she mentioned the possibility of my needing statins. Given that was the first I knew I had raised cholesterol I’m keen to try to reduce it by diet instead.

I’ll reduce the cheese, oils, etc. as you have – and also try those recipes (I love salmon and courgettes and the celeriac rosti sounds good so I’ll give it a go – I’m trying to expand my choice of meals).

You’re also right. I need to know what my levels are now – I think they might have just done my hba1c this time as no other info has gone on my on-line medical record but I’ll speak to them on Monday to check. (I’ll also remember to ask for a complete set of blood tests next time – although it’s a bit disappointing if they haven’t done them!).

Hope the meeting with your GP goes well and they agree to reducing/stopping your cholesterol meds.

Marie

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Hi Marie

If you like salmon, try Jamie Oliver’s recipe from five ingredients book (https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/salmon-recipes/quick-asian-fishcakes/). I know it has chilli jam; we had to order this online as we could only find chilli dipping sauce, and believe me it’s VERY different. I know too that it has sugar in it…but it is SO strong, I put on only a tiny teaspoon each (we have some really small spoons, much smaller than standard 5 ml ones) and given we have it most weeks, cos it’s so gorgeous, it doesn’t seem to be a problem for the glucose levels. And the salmon of course is good fat.

I think sometimes you have to ask them to do blood tests – especially as they often don’t understand the BSD. Remember, they cost money, and anything they can do to reduce costs….! That said, my GP made no issue over doing the whole lot.

Liz

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Liz

I’ve just looked at the Jamie Oliver recipe. It does look delicious and has got good comments. I’m definitely going to give it a try this week.

Yes, looking back I should have asked them to do the blood tests when they did my HbA1c. I’ll speak to the practice nurse and ask if they can check cholesterol, etc, each time they do my Hba1c.

Thanks again
    Marie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Eliza52, the salmon cakes look lovely. Would you mind sharing what the ingredient list is on the back of the chilli jam? I see this available online…Cane Sugar*, Roasted Red Pepper Puree*, White Vinegar*, Onion*, Fruit Pectin, Jalapeno Peppers*, Red Bell Peppers*, Red JalapenoPepper Puree*, Citric Acid, Chili Powder* Is it roughly the same thing?

I love salmon cakes and these look wonderful. In the last couple of years I have been finding tubes of lemongrass paste and ginger paste along with the fresh herbs in our grocers. Those help a lot when you don’t need too much. I use cilantro enough to make buying fresh worthwhile.

Thanks for posting that.

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Hi Luvtcook

IT’s this one – https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Tracklements-Chilli-Jam/45208011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=chilli+jam&parentContainer=SEARCHchilli+jam. (looking at the photo in Jamie’s excellent book, it’s this brand he used, and it happened to be the one we could order – don’t normally shop in Ocada/Waitrose, but I like the non-pasteurised brown miso from there too, plus one or two other things, so now and then we do an onlline order and stock up on things we can’t get in Morrisons or other local supermarkets!) The ingredients are: Raw Cane Sugar, Red Chillies (19%), Red Peppers (19%), Cider Vinegar, Onions, Garlic, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Sea Salt. I know it’s sugar, but I add such a small amount because it really is fiery stuff (we tried chilling dipping sauce the first week as we didn’t have the chilli jam, and it wasn’t the same – bit synthetic if you know what I mean) I’m not too bothered about that.

Another recipe from the same book is cod wrapped in pancetta (though we do it with Serano ham as it’s less calories, and as I have dodgy gall-bladder, less fat) with lentils. Delicious! We cheat and use jamie’s own lentils, but you could perfectly well do your own, or indeed have it with other veg or salad. There are quite a few BSD friendly recipes in the book, and as they are all so simple to make, we’re fans!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Thanks Eliza52….and the cod recipe sounds wonderful too. I think you just talked me into buying myself that Jamie Oliver cookbook. I have a shocking number of cookbooks… . have no place to put another one so the rule is “one in, one has to go to”…donate to the library. The easy part for the last couple of years was to ditch all the old “low fat/low calorie” ones”. But they are long gone now….so the decisions are getting harder, but this one sounds worth the bother. I love Jamie Olivers recipes….he respects his ingredients and doesn’t over fuss with silly extras.

Thanks so much!

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Hi Luvtcook
    Apparently the Jamie Oliver book has been the no 1 best seller this year, and applauded not just by the likes of you and me, but also by many food critics (they did a review of cookery books for Christmas on Radio 4’s “The Food Programme” and this book got high praises). Yes, there’s a chapter on pasta dishes to ignore (though I guess some of the sauces would work with spiralised courgette or squash) but a lot of the meat/chicken/fish dishes are perfect for BSD. There are some that use peanut butter that I”m dying to try….but with my dodgy gallbladder I have to be a bit careful with fats. Just tried full fat greek yogurt (I normally have fat free) so hoping it goes well and I don’t wake up in pain! Tastes SO good!

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks for your kind, and helpful messages of support. And well done Jimmy on those results. OH has been hesitating about returning to the GP for fear that his HbA1c wouldn’t drop enough … and a second ’48’ or similar would confirm the GP’s diagnosis. However, with a bit of research we have found the home test kit (which is reportedly fairly accurate) and yesterday, his HbA1c was measured at ’39/5.7′. So we’re making progress. We’ve both lost in the region of 10kg, and seen reductions in blood pressure too. This has all been done with diet as OH struggles with exercise for now due to niggling knee problem and a badly damaged shoulder. But surgery in February will put that one back on the right track. He’ll never be a runner/walker, but with the shoulder repaired cycling, swimming and tennis will all be back on the cards. I took up running in May, in a very low key way – but it’s getting easier, and with about 2st less to lug around, much more comfortable.

Hi Elize 52 and Marie123, it’s so reassuring to hear of other folk going through similar phases. We only got this diagnosis at the point of registering with a new GP, so there’s no relationship there to help with all the questions we’ve got. Now that OH feels more comfortable with progress the next appointment will be easier (I hope!). I’ll download the info sheet, for moral support! I’m not sure we got as far cholesterol – but right now I don’t think OH would let them test for anything else – he doesn’t want anymore ‘bad’ news.

The salmon sounds yummy! Might have to a) have a go, and b) persuade OH that he does want to eat a fishcake …

Off to work out ways to manage this as a long-term WOE – not the food itself, but upping the calorie count a little so we maintain rather than gain/lose. (That said, we may gain a little over Christmas!)

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Emu
    I think we are all in the same boat and that definitely helps me, too. I understand what your husband means about not doing other tests – I was told my cholesterol was higher (6.1) at the same time I was diagnosed with diabetes but didn’t really take it in, and then when I remembered I felt I needed to concentrate on getting my blood sugar levels down before thinking about anything else.

I pushed back the date of my hba1c (it was down to me to arrange it) so that I’d been fully on the BSD for 16 weeks before getting tested – so there’d be no fully sugared blood cells left from before BSD. But it sounds to me as if his levels are good now. You’ve both done fantastically well with the weight loss and BP, too.

Let us know how your OH gets on with his hba1c and wishing him well for his operation in February. I’m impressed by the running, by the way, no matter how low key!
    Marie x

• posted by emu
    on

Thanks Marie123.

We braved the GP yesterday (I say ‘we’ as OH is hard of hearing and I attend appointments to make sure nothing is missed/misunderstood). Relieved to say when OH said “i’ve followed the reverse your diabetes book, i want a new hba1c” the GPs face broke into smile and he’s pleasantly surprised at what has been achieved so far. New blood test booked for next Wednesday … who knows when results will be available! But will report back when we know more. We’re hoping for something around the 39 he got from the home test kit, apparently ‘normal’ is 33-34 – so that’s the next target!

Also good news, the GP said he would only make a formal diagnosis if the second test comes back at 48+ … so fingers crossed. That did come with the caveat that if he’s reversed the problem he should return for annual tests to make sure nothing starts to creep up again and to be aware of the symptoms just in case.

All of which means OH is feeling quite perky. We were planning an out of scope meal on Monday (a birthday celebration) but this has been postponed until Wednesday (after hba1c) so there’s no question of interference. (We know hba1c is ‘long term’ but who’d risk it?)

Emu x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, just two observations. If your hubbys HbA1c comes back still at 6 then this diet is still for him. If it comes back lower and the diagnosis is overturned then this diet is still for him. This has been a warning and eating this way should become a way of life even if you allow an occasional cheat. Good luck for the blood test.

• posted by jimnz
    on

emu
    Heaps of encouragement to you both. I started on this new way of living on March 16 2016 and am enjoying the change. I have never been prescribed metformin and neither have I ever been given insulin.
    So far, I have lost 20 kg and that has been almost entirely diet. Exercise has been spasmodic – an occasional 30 minute brisk walk.
    I love my new way of cooking vegetables. One evening, I do a big stir fry in olive oil in a wok. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and parsnips are first par boiled for a few minutes in water. Meanwhile, onion, capsicums (sometimes all four colours), mushroom, zucchini, are set in the wok with the oil and a touch of salt and black pepper. When the other vegetables are slightly tender, the water is drained off and they are added to the wok. I usually prepare enough for that evening and then place the remainder in take-away containers in the fridge for the next two or three nights. The next night, that evening’s veges are re-heated in the microwave on “Sensor reheat”. Delicious.

Two nights ago, I served a small piece of salmon to my wife, and I had some Vietnamese Basa fish from the local supermarket. Gently fried in olive oil, they are both delicious.
    Breakfast for me is usually rolled oat porridge. However, sometimes, I grill a portabello mushroom and cook a scrambled egg and drop that on top. When my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, I took over the cooking of all meals. Fortunately her treatment was successful and, thanks to our government funding of a year’s Herceptin, the outlook is good.

Two days ago, I went to see our diabetes nurse at the medical centre. Last year, I had given her two video references to view. One was Dr Michael Mosely’s interview on SBS TV in Australia; the second was a TED X talk from Purdue University by Dr Sarah Hallberg on youtube. Her talk was entitled “Reversing Type 2 Diabetes starts by ignoring the guidelines” Both videos are well worth studying.
    The diabetes nurse told me that she is a real fan of Michael Mosley. BTW my last few HBA1C readings have been consistently around 4.0 or 4.1 Blood pressure was 120 / 60. She said that, provided I retain my present dietary discipline, I have successfully reversed diabetes.

Bread is now down to one slice per day with the early morning cup of tea. Potatoes – never. Rice and Pasta likewise. Tea or coffee are both taken black without sugar.

This 77 year old has never felt better.
    Good luck to you both – emu and OH!
    Jim

• posted by emu
    on

Hi sunshine-girl. Thank you. Couldn’t agree more. Where I was expecting OH to suggest we revert to ‘normal’ he’s quite the opposite and keen to continue to develop it as a WOE. Same for me. I saw some photos today and realised I’ve been struggling to shift my spare tyre for 9 years. Two months on this diet has shifted 2 stone (each) and lowered blood pressure. The thought of going back is incentive enough to stick with it.

Hi Jim, thanks for your comments. I’ve really had to pick up the cooking thing. I never bothered as a kid and since getting married work has rather got in the way. Its been easier to add an extra round of sandwiches/ladle of pasta and skip the veggies. Lesson learnt, and digested!

We are making this a joint lifestyle change, and feeling better. Yippee! Fingers crossed for the bloods – we’ll carry on regardless, as it’s definitely working 🙂

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

jimnz, would you be so kind as to post the link to the M Mosely interview on SBS TV….have been searching for it and would like to watch it again, but cannot seem to find it….does not come up in the Google searches I have done.

Thanks so much in advance.
    LTC

• posted by Flick
    on

Here is a link to the sbs insight show. If the link doesn’t work, I googled how to beat your type 2 diabetes and clicked on the video tab. The sbs show came up as a youtube option. I can’t get it on the sbs catch up.

https://youtu.be/44fgRi4SfnY

• posted by marie123
    on

Emu and Eliza52
    Emu – Well, that’s really heartening to hear – it always lifts the spirit when you hear positive news like that. You and your OH must be so cheered by that meeting and it sounds like you have found a good GP.

I actually registered for online access to my medical records so that I could see the result of my Hba1c blood test before my appointment with the practice nurse. It was on-line the day after the blood test and meant that I could prepare questions before my appointment. If you’re in the UK (with a name like Emu I guess you might not be!), you have the right to access your records on-line; you may need to go into the GP practice to complete a form but it’s straightforward. It proved really useful for me as I couldn’t get an appointment to see the practice nurse for a while afterwards. My only caveat is that there were 1 or 2 things in my blood results that were ‘red-lined’ that I wasn’t aware of – so not sure if that would suit your OH right now. From my pov it’s a positive because I can ask questions about those, too. I’ll look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Liz – Thinking about your post on Positive Thoughts post (again brilliant outcome)
    Don’t know if you’ll see this but I also visit the diabetes.co.uk forums (or to give it it’s technical term the red website rather than the blue website). There have been a few questions from people wanting to come off the diabetes register or who’ve had ‘diabetes resolved’ placed on their records. A message that comes across quite strongly from some forumites is to make sure if that happens that you still have access to the annual health checks (feet, eyes, etc) at least for a while, as Emu’s OH would have, or you’re OK with not having that. Some people have found it unsettling to have monitoring checks just stopped. This might be blindingly obvious to you – in which case, apols – but it had never occurred to me.

Jim – Gosh, those Hba1c results are so good – over 3 stone lost and another reversal – congratulations!!! I’m glad to hear your wife is doing well – best wishes. Marie x

• posted by Eliza52
    on

Marie, many thanks for your post. Yes, it had occurred to me about the tests. Various things make me think that I had the condition quite a while before it was diagnosed. My diagnosis was September, and after about a month on the BDS my levels were already back to normal (they’ve reduced further since) so I went for the eye check thinking there was no way I would have damage given such a recent diagnosis (bearing in mind that I have regular blood tests, and have had for years, because of high lipids and borderline cholesterol). But then discovered that I do have retinopathy. Not only this, but when we first moved here, 7 years ago, I saw the dental hygienist who asked if I was diabetic because my gums were not good. I said as far as I knew, not, but she was insistent I was tested, so I went to GP and they did a blood test. I was told all was well (and in fact, the other day when I saw the GP, I asked about previous results, and although we didn’t go back years, she did show me that in 2015 everything showed normal). However, my gums always bled profusely every time I brushed, and my dentist has always been concerned and determined to keep a close eye on things….but since I started the BSD, the bleeding has stopped. Completely. I brush and brush, and no bleeding. This does make me wonder if the hygienist was right all along, and therefore I think that in particular, i should have the eye test (as this is something you can’t determine yourself). I don’t feel I need the nurse to stick pins in my feet to see if they are losing feeling – I walk around barefoot in the house (nurse was horrified when I told her I work with wood etc so the floor is covered in bits of wood, plastic shavings etc!). However, I am fully aware that my feet are fine – I do feel it when I step on something sharp! Similarly of course, I will go on having the blood tests (the GP herself said I should do that, even if they put resolved on the notes – as we all know, this isn’t a cure, it is only keeping it at bay by the correct WOE, so it does make sense to go on testing, in case something else is going on, beyond dietary control).
    Best wishes
    Liz

• posted by emu
    on

Flick, thanks for the link.

Marie123, thanks for the online records tip. We are UK based (‘Emu’ refers to a tendency to ignore issues and stick my head in the sand!). Might check it out as we’ve a new GP. But yes, I know you have to careful to make sure you want unfettered access to the data!

And Liz, interesting on the bleeding gums. OH plans to get the various aspects checked out as the GP says he’s probably at higher risk generally of these effects (if not a full diabetic), but gums was not something mentioned … and yet in recent years he’s had terrible gum issues. Will mention it to see if he notices an improvement.

Our next challenge is planning a BSD WOE Christmas dinner … it’s the non-BSD guests who might be a challenge!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Flick, the link worked perfectly. I am not able to watch SBS videos directly in the US (message comes up that there is a licensing issue ) but can watch if it is via a UK forum such as this. So thanks so much for that…..really appreciate it.

And congratulations to all of you (Jim and emu, others) seeing such good blood sugar numbers! You all must be feeling so wonderful about that. Well done!

Articfox…glad to hear your horse is finally doing better. What a relief after such a long slog.

• posted by Flick
    on

No worries Luvtcook – the show was recorded quite a while ago. I think it is an interesting example of how strong the initial skeptical response to the BSD low carb, high fat approach was/is. How slow and careful the medical community is to embrace some types of new knowledge. Thank god Prof Taylor and MM are so persistent.

Also interesting that hunger was an issue for some of the prticipants. The low carb message seemed a bit mixed.

I can’t watch BBC catch up here in Australia for similar licensing rules. Not IT savvy enough to set up international isp.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Emu – good luck to your OH with the blood test – enjoy your meal!

• posted by emu
    on

Hi marie123, sorry for slow reply. Tummy bugs have put paid to the blood test, but we’re not downhearted. It’s almost a good thing as it means we have no excuse not to keep things going over Christmas (many incentives not to cheat now ). We did have a Chinese for my special day, but without rice. The next fasting test (this morning) was a 6.8 which OH was worried about, but overall, after last nights Chinese I thought not too bad (and it was down to 5.3 two hours later).

Onward and upward. I’m even plotting to throw out my old oven chip tray … Who needs it?

Have a lovely Christmas.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi emu

Sorry to hear about the tummy bugs, hope you’re both feeling better now. Do you know, I think you might be right about the delay in the Hba1c being almost a good thing so you both stay on the straight and narrow over Christmas. After I got my good Hba1c results in November I struggled a bit to stay on track for a few days – for the first time really – I think I just wanted to ‘let go’ for a bit. Mind, in the end I just over-indulged in Fage yoghurt – hardly a rave-out.

I’m off now until the 26th. Say hi to OH for me, it sounds to me he’s doing really well – I’ll look forward to hearing how his results go in the new year.

Happy Christmas
    Marie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi emu

Wondered how things were going after Christmas and New Year? Is OH having his Hba1c soon?

Let us know how you’re both getting on.

Marie

• posted by emu
    on

Mi Marie,

thanks for the ‘nudge’, despite good intentions of an update I lost my password … back on track now. We had a good Christmas, a bit of relaxation of the low carb rule on the day itself, but otherwise we’ve been pretty good (give or take the odd mini mince pie!).

Unsuprisingly perhaps, OH is waiting for things to ‘settle down’ before returning to the GP. That said, a recent home Hba1c test came in at 37 – which is great. OH has to have shoulder surgery in early February, so will aim to test with the GP before then. There are good intentions for maintaining low carb during recovery, but any exercise (or even dog walking) will be severely curtailed for at least a month – which will not help blood sugar management. That said, post-recovery we will be able to combine diet and exercise to manage sugar levels for the first time. Even the GP said the shoulder injury may have contributed to the raised blood sugar in the first place, as OH has become less active to avoid making it hurt, increasing weight and insulin resistance.

Good news is that we’ve had no weight gains, and things are fairly stable. Nicely on target 🙂

How are you getting on? Did you manage to ‘let go’ a little but with one eye on the low carb plan? It’s hard, when you know you are making good progress not to give in to temptation for a ‘treat’ that then becomes a habit again … red wine and chocolate anyone?

Got my first bag of almond flour this morning … off to hunt out some recipes …

• posted by marie123
    on

Great to hear from you Emu and good to hear you both enjoyed Christmas and New Year and stayed pretty much on the BSD track. I managed to avoid the mince pies – one of my favourite Christmas things – and kept to strict BSD cals and carbs over Christmas, but then went a touch overboard around New Year – and, yes it was chocolate! Not too bad, though, and a good lesson learned.

Good to hear about the home Hba1c 37. I bet OH just wants to get the operation over with. It’ll be great when he can get back to exercising as well as following the BSD.

Best wishes for OH’s operation

Btw, I’m impressed with the almond flour given you’ve previously declared yourself, like me, as never having bothered too much with this cooking thing. What great skills and lovely menus we’re going to have by and by…

• posted by emu
    on

Hey, long time no messaging! My fault, busy busy and forgot my password (again!).

Good news. We got OHs second HbA1c test back, the formal one with the GP – 40. It’s not as low as we’d hoped, but get shim off the ‘naughty list’. We’re sticking to low carb as a WOE for the long term, as it seems to work for us both.

OH had his surgery on Tuesday, feels awful – so we have fiddled the diet a bit for ‘comfort’ and to to make sure there’s a choice of things that don’t require a knife and fork (but not sandwiches, pasta meals etc.).

OH hasn’t seen the GP yet, he said to come back HbA1c in hand when he’s feeling slightly recovered from the surgery. So we’ve still got that to go – but it’s all good news.

PS: my first almond flour cooking was a complete failure 🙂 still, nothing ventured. Plucking up the will and energy to have another go!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Emu,
    Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been without a computer until Saturday and was off-line yesterday so still trying to catch-up with posts.

That’s fantastic news! I’m so delighted for both your OH and you – I know it’s been a joint effort. 40 is below 42 and that’s what counts. Brilliant. Isn’t it great to know this works. Hope OH is feeling a bit better today.

Let us know how you go on.

Marie x
    PS – Sorry to hear about the almond flour. I’m not a great cook so you have my sympathy!

• posted by marie123
    on

Eliza52

Hi Liz, Wondered how you were going, also. Are you still maintaining? I know you’ll be busy with work but if you read this would love to hear from you. x

Please log in or register to post a reply.