Newby

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Zoe6685
    on

Hi can anyone give me ideas/inspiration for my 11 year old daughter.. my husband see’s the new wave as positive .. how do I start to exchange a very British diet to the positivity of BSD
    All reply’s appreciated.
    Zoe

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Zoe! If you are comfortable sharin9 the particular objectives for your dau9hter, there are many
    experienced BSDers here, and we’d be happy to share our experience with you. Does she have any health
    issues or conditions? What recommendations have you received thus far from her pediatrician? What
    would she normally choose to put on her plate?

• posted by Zoe6685
    on

Hi yes I’m very happy to share and recieve ideas.. It looks like I haven’t explained myself very well..
    Having been a yo yo dieter for years.. I became completely overwhelmed with contradicting ideas. I have spent 2 weeks studying the BSD, this time I want my path to be clear and not just jumping on to another great idea.
    Being really impressed and understanding the science side has made me want to make changes for the whole family.. Enter my 11 year old daughter :)) who is a pizza pasta toasted sandwich raw veg kinda girl 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ i realise this is small changes to start with.. But she’s keen to try.. Any ideas welcome???

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Zoe, you have to bear in mind that children are still developing and needs all the nutrients and I personally dont think it would be good to cut out a whole food group, as in this case, carbs. A reduction in the bad carbs is probably the place to start but it seems to me it is you that needs the help so that you can keep on plan but still cater for a growing girl. You can still cook all the family favourites and you eat them without the carbs, i.e. spag bol without the pasta, chicken korma without the rice and so on. You will soon find out what replacements are available if you need them and grow to love cauliflower rice, spiralized courgette and other things like mashed cauliflower, aubergine layering your lasagne or mashed or roasted celeriac with Sunday lunch. Your daughter can join you with these and it should do her no harm but dont try to restrict her calories to below what is regarded as healthy and that is around 2000 calories. What you might (and she might too) do is get rid of the junk food where she might be eating over the 2000. Also, remember she is just a child and should be allowed to have some treats like pizza (tip, buy the thin crust type) or an ice cream but just now and again for a treat. You dont say if your daughter is considered to be over-weight – I say considered as the BMI system is flawed and a child carrying a bit of extra weight might be ready to have a growth spurt and slim out as they get taller. I am very sympathetic as my 10 year old grandson is a little bit plump. We would never push the subject but he is keen to slim down as he does get some ribbing (not quite bullying) from other kids but more important he can see it himself. Last time I saw him he gave me a big hug and said I love you nana but do you love me when I am so fat. I could have cried. My daughter is handling it as best she can like walking him to school and back instead of driving and talking to him about making sensible choices. Good luck with your diet and hugs to your daughter.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Zoe – at 11 your daughter (and son if you have one of those as well!) may be keen to start cooking or helping out with the cooking herself – and I think that it is an invaluable skill! I agree that she shouldn’t cut out pasta completely, but she might enjoy trying out different kinds of sauces; veg or meat based, which you could all enjoy, with or without pasta. And also getting into full fat yoghurt etc. At her age she should be putting down healthy bones (there might be some guidance on osteoporosis-related sites). Stir fries are also quick and easy if she fancies some wok-cooking! Sunshine-girl, your poor little grandson, he sounds a complete poppet. And obviously very supportive nana and mummy.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

In his fast800 book MM says that you shouldn’t embark on the rapid weight loss diet if you’re under the age of 18.
    I’d reiterate what others have said here. My 16 year old daughter is obsessed with food and nutrition. She’s been vegan for nearly a year now, having been lactose intolerant all her life. Thankfully she does try to eat healthily and get everything she needs from her food. Her mum did bring our children up well in this respect, limiting sweet and unhealthy food and drink. My son went the opposite way but seems to be turning the tide at the ripe old age of 18!
    I’d say familiarising youngsters with a wide variety of foods and flavours, which can take a lot of patience sometimes, can lead to then becoming sensible with regards to eating habits as they grow older.

Please log in or register to post a reply.