Newbie Question re Intermittent Fasting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I have read that you can do this bu starting with a two week 899 cal per day and intermittent fasting, and then move to a 5-2 regime.
    My question is, that when you move to the 5-2 regime, do you continue the intermittent fasting on the 5 days which are not fasting day?
    Thanks in advance

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Ziggy, Intermittent fasting is when you fast for 36 or 42 hours taking in either just water, or maybe adding coffee with double cream. So you could fast for 2 (or 3) days a week.
    Time restricted eating is when you eat within a limited number of hours such as eating in a 8 hour or 4 hour slot. Some people go into maintenance or slow loss by eating 800 calories 2 days a week and eating to need the other 5 days. – You can combine time restricted eating and the 5:2 if you want.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Ziggy the idea of 5:2 is you eat normal for 5 days and fast for 2. What is normal might be still doing 800 cals and then eating nothing or very lightly on 2. Or it could be you eat what ever you like for 5 days but lets be sensible, not cake and pies, and then drop to 800 on the 2 fast days. As JGwen says you can do whatever suits you in whatever combination. Time restricted eating is becoming very popular as you can eat normally but just within a window. I am new to this (not the BSD being doing that for 3 years) so I am going to try 12/12. I am retired so will eat breakfast at 9.30am, lunch at 1.30pm and dinner at 7.30pm – then I have a snack at 9.30pm and nothing else. The theory is that because the body goes through a short period of semi starvation it starts to use up its reserves of fat quicker. The shorter the period of eating the better but, as I said, I am new. The book by DrM the Fast 800 is very good at explaining this and the many benefits.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I did mean Intermittent fasting, and thanks for the replies.

I have done the 5-2 before so know about it , I have also done the 800 diet too with good results.

My question should have been, with regards to Intermittent Fasting, MM recommends doing it for a fortnight with 800 cals a day, and then progressing to a 5-2 discipline. When on the 5-2 regime, on the 5 days when you can opt to eat a bit more – do you still use the time restrictions?

Thanks in advance you bunch of losers 😎

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you go onto YouTube and search intermittent fasting you will find out more. I particularly like Dr Becky Gillespie but there is such a big choice and different types of fast that it is too big a subject to be answered here.

Please log in or register to post a reply.