Newbie – question about breath

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Hi,
    Just been diagnosed with T2 diabetes with 72 mmol/mol. GP wanted to put me straight on meds but I asked for a chance to change my lifestyle. She’s gives me 6-7 weeks.
    I weighed over 18st to start but started BSD on 14th May and lost 8lbs already. I’m really encouraged by this.
    I’ve just started noticing the bad breath that is associated with low-carb but today I’ve noted it’s more of a chemical taste. I’ve read about acetones due to being in ketosis, is this normal or do I need to change anything?
    I’m feeling very determined and seeing this as a positive that I will finally get healthy and lose my excess weight for good.
    Thank you for reading.

Laura 😃

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi MrsH22 welcome to the site. You for you finding this way of eating and for your doctor allowing you the time. Medication is a downward slope of more and more meds so do try really hard to stick to the very low carb way as that is the key to getting your diabetes under control.

The bad breath could be because of ketosis but dont worry, it wont last very long. I can also be a by product of your BG going quite low, which is pretty much the same thing. It will pass.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Hi 👋🏻
    That’s really reassuring that it’s a phase.
    I had read about the blood glucose going low being a reason but also that it may be a complication (I definitely don’t need any of them).
    Thank you for your reply!
    Laura

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Being type 2 you will have to be aware of any complications of going too low. The low carb way of eating will bring your blood glucose down and you do have to be careful. In the old days before I discovered the BSD I used to eat something very sweet if I went too low. However, it interferred with dieting, not great to have a jam and bread sandwich or a handful of chocolate but I didnt know any better. These days, if I do go low and shaky I have some protein like chicken or ham or full fat greek yoghurt with some prunes etc.

The symptoms you have to watch out for are feeling shaky, sweating, numbness in the lips, face or fingers, confusion, blurred vision etc. A non diabetic wouldnt have to worry as their body would make the necessary adjustments but we cant, we have to have something to bring the BG back up. A good book to help you through this is Diabetes For Dummies which explains in none medical terms so everyone can understand. It is worth buying.

• posted by MrsH22
    on

Thank you Sunshine girl. I have ordered the book you recommended and I’m finding it really informative.
    Thank you 😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.