Newbie Question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lindamac71
    on

I have just startrd a week ago and already feel a huge difference in my well being. I have a friend who also has type 2 diabetes and is very overweight. She has ordered the book online. However she has just messaged me to ask a question I don’t know the answer to. The disclaimer about a past psychiatric illness. She had a VERY severe depression almost 17 years ago and although has been well for many years, still takes medication. Would this plan be dangerous for her and why. Many thanks for any replies.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Lindamac. If your friend is asymptomatic, even if she’s on medication, I see no reason why this very
    healthy way of eating would be detrimental to her. I’ve been on antidepressants for a number of years, and
    this way of life has only improved my sense of well being. I’ve never felt better, and don’t see any further
    need for medication. I can’t imagine why I haven’t dispensed with it, to be perfectly honest. Maybe it would
    be wise to have her physician clear her, however. You are a good friend!

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lindamac,
    I don’t think I am unique in realising as a result of changing to this way of eating how often what I used to eat was driven by emotional hunger rather than physical need for food.
    There is obviously the comfort eating element, and I know I am not unique in that. Its quite common for people to ask for help on the forums after they fell off the wagon because they had a stressful day. Part of the journey for me has been finding other ways of responding to stress and perhaps for your friend that is something it would be helpful to do in advance.

• posted by Lindamac71
    on

Thank you for your replies

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi All, actually there is peer reviewed research on the benefit of ketones (which are produced by your liver when you are very low carbohydrate) on mood. They act as a natural anti-depressant. That may possibly explain why so many of us who have found this way of eating also find their outlook becomes, and remains, bright.
    The other peer reviewed research that may be applicable is the effect that a high fat (good fats) has on brain function and neuronal health.
    Either way, it’s a win-win — but it may take some time, it is probably a “slow” fix (as you become healthy at a cellular level) and so perhaps don’t give up the drug precipitously (I am not a physician)

Please log in or register to post a reply.