Newbie on week 2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Blether
    on

Hi all, just registered with the forum but have been lurking around reading post since I started the BSD on the 22nd May. Week one went really well and I lost 14lbs (although I realise it’s mostly water). This week so far I’m only down 1lb but only half way through the week. Feeling a little worried that I’ll only lose 1-2lbs a week which I could do on a 1500cal diet! Although I must admit I have been full of energy since I started. For the most part I’ve felt full and satisfied. Only one day last week I felt exhausted and dizzy. And today I felt very hungry and therefore ate 950cals. This is the first time I’ve broke the 800cals a day. Feeling totally guilty and worried that the slow loss this week is going to dishearten me to the point I give up. I know logically I’m being silly as it’s only 3 days into week 2 but with my over eating today I feel awful. I really need this to work quickly or I know I’ll give up and go back to old ways! Any motivational advice welcome at this point!

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi I am a bit further along day 27 and lost 10 lbs week 1 3.5 week 2 and 2.5 week 3. I feel great and am generally not hungry which is amazing since I was a chocoholic! 😀 I only weigh once a week and don’t get hung up on loss think of the bigger picture.Good luck

Catherine

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi I’m on week 2 my weigh in will be Monday. I lost 10 lb the first week. I don’t expect to lose that every week though.
    I sometimes am over the 800 calories, I’m trying to follow the book but if I do go over I don’t feel bad, I just think well if I was eating the way I used to I would be well in the 2000 plus, so at the start, to be a little bit over is better than eating the way I used to do.
    Hope you have a good result when you weigh in,I’ll let you know how I get on with it on Monday morning
    All the best.

• posted by Blether
    on

Hi Catherine70 and Zinny,
    I really should stay away from the scales! Maybe I should try and restrict myself to once a week. Just desperate for this to work as I’ve tried everything else over the years, as I’m sure many of us have. I need to lose 80lbs in total and that seems like it’s unconquerable at the moment.
    Zinny, great to know someone who started the same time. Will be good to see how we progress.
    Feeling more positive today and maybe I’ll stay off the scales until Monday now.
    Thanks

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hello all and welcome to Blether and Zinny! Blether, don’t be discouraged week 2 is often a flat week which comes all the harder when you’re buzzing about your early results. Try rephrasing your weight loss to 14 lbs lost in less than two weeks. Sound better? I bet you would have killed for that before you started.
    I’ve found the key is to keep your water intake up, it really is key to success. I found it really difficult at first so now I take regular pinches of Himalayan salt which is loaded with trace minerals and keeps me drinking.
    Weight loss doesn’t necessarily happen immediately, it can be days or even weeks before it registers on the scales. But the scales are only one measure; does your body feel any different, are your clothes looser? You’ll probably find your body is a better indicator that things are going in the right direction than scales. I’m having a flat week (week 5) but even though the scales tell me I’m not losing weight I feel different.
    Don’t forget all the health benefits of this way of eating, how your body is benefiting from you choosing not to fill your body with toxins.
    Keep going, don’t allow yourself to be downhearted. You’ve made a great start, take it one step at a time and keep posting here, it’s an amazing support group with heaps of knowledge to share.
    Maggie

• posted by Blether
    on

Thanks Maggie. I’m just being really impatient! I will try to make sure I drink plenty. The other day at work I had back to back meetings and as I was leaving to go home I realised I’d not drank more than a small bottle of water all day. Must get better at taking large amounts of water with me. I might invest in one of those bottles that looks like a mini water cooler tank!
    My clothes don’t feel any better and can’t see a difference my body at all yet. I’m sure I will be more positive and motivated once my clothes feel looser! I can see a difference in my face but I’m sure that was all the bloating and water retention (which obviously was the massive loss last week).
    I’ll keep posting 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Blether,
    Welcome to the forum. –
    I have been following this WoE since mid October and so far am down 81 lbs. There are other more experienced people on the forum who are members of the 100lb club. – Some of them, Alleycat springs to mind in particular, managed to loose weight consistently every week but that has not been my experience. – Weight loss isn’t linear, the body doesn’t empty a fat cell at a time and then move on to the next one. Instead it takes a little fat from an area of cells at a time replacing the fat with water and once all the fat is gone then the cells collapse. – If you search for the whoosh effect either on the forum or via google you will find its a common effect.

My own experience is that during the periods the scales are not changing, my measurements continue to change. Not necessarily waist or hips, but also calf, ankles, arms. So keep an eye out for None Scale Victories which we all celebrate.

There is one major difference between this Way of Eating and just counting calories. – By keeping carb levels down so you keep insulin levels down you are enabling your body to access your fat stores so your body can make up the difference between cals in and cals out. I would recommend you watch some of the podcasts by Jason Fung who very clearly explains the difference between keeping insulin low and calorie counting.

• posted by Blether
    on

Hi JGwen,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and congratulations on the amazing weight loss. I really hope that’s me by the end of this year/beginning of next.
    I shall check out the videos you recommended.
    Thanks

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Hi Blether(?!)

Blimey Charlie! 14 pounds in a week?!! That’s amazing. You must have been incredibly pleased with that. I think the most important thing to concentrate on for real super weight losses is the carbs. Try to keep them below 50g per day. I don’t think going over 800 cals slightly will affect your weight losses – just keep your eye on those carbs!
    I was inspired by a friend of mine who lost 8 stone in a year following this and she still does it now. I have lost 4 pounds in my first week and even more surprisingly – no amazingly(!) I lost another 4 pounds my second week. I have never lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks in my life so I am SUPER happy!
    So don’t be disheartened with 14 pounds in one week – I think its amazing!
    Bean xx

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi blether
    I lost three pounds for my second week which I am very pleased about, I want to lose three stone in total so I’m well on my way now. I’m going to try and keep planning my food and logging it. Clothes are not so tight around the bosom area so that’s good.
    I’ve got quite a few outfits I would like to fit into again, so I’m going to hang one on the wardrobe door as a reminder !
    Keep up your good work

Please log in or register to post a reply.