newbie needs carb info

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ManTooBig
    on

Hi All.
    I started the BSD a week ago and have lost 6lbs, which is great.
    Today I started using (a week late :-0) the Myfitnesspal app. Having put in my last weeks food diary into the app, I note , esp on days when I have had porridge for brekkie and yogurt for lunch, that my carb intake is relatively high (>50g).Obviously in future I will avoid this combination on any given day.
    Can anyone tell me the recommended levels of carbs and proteins for this diet. Are the recommended levels referenced in Dr Mosley’s book?
    I need to lose >20kg (3 st) and have started doing 3 x 1 hour light exercise (cycling) a week – all aerobic stuff (<70% max heart rate)
    Thanks for your help.
    Great forums btw.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Dr. Mosley doesn’t mention a specific gram-per-day level in the book, but many people here choose to aim for 50 grams or lower. That seems to be a sweet spot for putting your body in fat-burning state instead of a carb-burning state. If you have blood sugar problems like pre-diabetes, diabetes, hyperinsulemia or insulin resistance, you’ll want to drop that limit as low as you can. I’m insulin resistant so I keep to 20 grams of carb per day, and now that I’m an old hand at this, I don’t get anywhere near that figure. Single digits are the norm for me.

For the rest of the macronutrients, check out LindaA’s system in this post: https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/20th-feb-starters/page/4/#post-58403

Congratulations on your great start and good luck!

• posted by ManTooBig
    on

Thanks for that Esnecca.
    My mean (average of 3 mornings over 10 day period) fasting blood sugar was pre-diabetic – this prompted my approach to the BSD – I am a biologist – my wife and I (she has similar BS levels) are not finding the diet too bad – can I ask, for protein, would you recommend that I should be looking at ~50-70g /day?
    Thanks for your advice

• posted by ManTooBig
    on

Thanks for that Esnecca.
    My mean (average of 3 mornings over 10 day period) fasting blood sugar was pre-diabetic – this prompted my approach to the BSD – I am a biologist – my wife and I (she has similar BS levels) are not finding the diet too bad – can I ask, for protein, would you recommend that I should be looking at ~50-70g /day?
    Thanks for your advice

• posted by Esnecca
    on

There’s a lot of contradictory information out there, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, about how much protein we need. It can range from .5 grams per kilo of ideal weight up to as many as 2 grams, depending on your height and the kind of exercise you do. I think 1 gram per kilo of ideal weight is probably a solid starting place for your protein intake. If you do a lot of weight lifting or intense exercise you’ll want to bump that up. As you lose weight and increase your fitness, you can always revise the figure to match your needs. I went with 1 gram per ideal kilo and increased it a little once I’d lost a lot and was able to exercise more.

I’m glad you and your wife are finding the BSD doable right out of the gate. I tested it out for a week when my OH was out of town thinking it would be too hard or weird for me to handle and was shocked at how comparatively easy it was. I’d never weighed a food and calculated its caloric and nutritional content in my life up until that point. That was last August and I haven’t looked back since.

• posted by ManTooBig
    on

Thanks for your succinct reply Esnecca. We have this weekend starting using MyFitnessPal, which is very easy and helps (we had over-estimated C/H contents). We are both now -9lbs down, so both pleased after 10 days on the diet.

We do not find the BSD regime onerous, once meals have been planned – some of the dishes are delicious.

Re exercise, until I am BMI 31 and my wife has lost 1.5st, our exercises are light fell walking and non-strenuous cycling. A little challenging after years of sedentary lifestyle, but not Olympic training!! Will adjust protein intake as you have done, likewise exercise intensity and duration

Thanks again and keep up your good lifestyle!

Please log in or register to post a reply.