Newbie… need a run through

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Donna2000
    on

Hi. I’m Donna. I’ve read the book and websites etc. But I need a list of the foods you can eat. I understand 800 cals a day. I understand full fat dairy. But what about milk?? I need my tea!! And coffee after a meal. I dont really feel i need to follow recipes just wouldn’t mind a list. Then I could pull out what I need or can/ can’t have. Can anyone help? I seriously need to lose weight, I’m creeping up to 14st. I’m feeling anxious as I need a clear list of yes and no foods.
    Cheers. Donna x.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Donna,

The best thing to do is use one of the apps you can install on your phone. I use fatsecret, You can then look up the carbs, protein, fat and cals in anything you are thinking about eating. That gives you the maximum flexibility on the diet. – This isn’t about changing your eating habits for a short period of time with a list of limited items and then going back to the old ways of eating afterwards. Its about changing eating habits for the long term.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Donna – it is daunting to begin with, but you will be surprised how quickly you get in step with this way of eating. The simplest way of thinking about what you can’t have, is to avoid anything containing cereals/grains, sugar in any form, potatoes and be cautious around things like root veggies, as they tend to be high in carbs too. The list of foods you can have is huge, but loosely includes meat, fish, green veggies/salad, cheese, eggs, dairy in general, nuts, seeds and if you want fruit, berries are the best option.

Milk is okay, but you need to account for the calories (and carbs if you are planning to record these as well) in your daily allowance. Milk is quite high in carbs if you are drinking a lot, so best to limit it and even swap out milk with a teaspoon of cream occasionally, as this is more satisfying and lower in carbs. Or try nut milks – I personally prefer the Alpro unsweetened Roast Almond milk, but there are other options of course.

Hope the above helps a little, I’d say best to keep things simple initially, so may be full fat natural yogurt with berries and seeds for breakfast, a small salad with a little meat or boiled egg for lunch and meat/fish with veggies in the evening for instance, but there’s lots of inspiration to be found in both the recipe section and on the Low Carb Eating thread on the forum.

Hope you soon settle into the BSD pattern, but do shout if you need advice or support and someone will surely respond. Best wishes and please let us know how you fair.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Donna, if you go to the search engine and type in Definite Food List you will find a thread from last year. There is lots of advice for you there so we dont have to re-invent the wheel. Scroll right down near the bottom and you will see a post from Esnecca with a whole list of resources. Failing that check out thedietdoctor or the resource list in a post called BSD and Low Carb Resources (I have just bumped it up to the top of the threads)

Good luck

• posted by Donna2000
    on

Brill. Thanks everyone. 👍🏼

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Donna, suggest you also check out the BSD Resource thread………lots of good info and links to great resources.

Please log in or register to post a reply.