Newbie – I need help with my diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ascowie
    on

I was told I was Diabetic Type 2, 1 year ago and have to take pills and have a better diet to lose weight, I’m 17 Stone

My problem is I work nightshift and don’t know what I can eat for a packed lunch, I tried salads but I found I was getting to the stage I was starving by the end on my 12 hour shift.

I’m going to my Diabetic Nurse next week to see how she can help me

All I need is a few ideas what I can eat, can anyone help?

Andy

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi ascowie

Welcome. Do hope you have the book it’s good to reread now & again. I’ve worked long nights (years ago ) & it goes against your natural rhythm of eating & sleeping. You can feel colder & more hungry in the early hours.

If you like soups & stews , get a wide-neck flask & take some to work. It’s hot & filling.
    Eggs are filling too. Boiled or make a veg frittata. No potatoes in it though. It’s a cold omelet with onions , green beans , asparagus or any veg you like in it. It’s tasty with ham too.
    You can take cold chicken with a salad in a box.

Can you microwave food at work? If so pre cook & warm up meals.

Have full fat yoghurt with soft fruit & nuts for your breakfast , whatever time that is. Or a cooked breakfast.
    It’s important to eat good fats as you are dropping the bad carbs ( rice, potatoes pasta & bread).

Other members will have more ideas for you. It’s only 8 weeks but it will make a big difference to your health. Drink the recommended amount of fluids it’s important. Look on the web for meals for nightshift workers

Your hunger will be under control with this diet. High carbs make a diabetic hungry. I’m a type 2 diabetic on my 9 week. I’ve lost 17lb & my blood sugars are much better. I’ll continue with this new diet as I still have more to lose & I like eating this way & feeling much better
    Good luck
    Eureka

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Andy,

The only tip I can add to Eureka’s comments is if you’re making frittata it can be convenient to bake it in a muffin tray (eg individual ones). I take this to work often and find they stay together better than cutting a single frittata into slices. You can work out how many muffins=1 portion size. Salads will be OK but you need to ensure you have adequate protein and good fats with it

I take a container with mixed salad in it, have a small container for salad dressing (olive oil and lemon juice) and have the muffin frittata separate so it can be microwaved and then added to the salad container once warm.

It would be mindful to factor in a snack of nuts or a boiled egg (or whatever works for you) for around 04:00hrs when EVERYONE that does night duty gets that horrible sinking feeling.

At the risk of sounding like a nag try and get adequate sleep. (Very hard when the sun’s shining).

Keep us all posted on your progress.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi ascowie, I’m new too and just learning. I’m sure you’ll get loads of good advice soon, but just wanted to say I take a hardboiled egg or two, in the shell, to work. I just eat them when I’m starving (get a few complaints about the smell!) but they really do satisfy you, being protein. All the best. Barb

• posted by ascowie
    on

Thanks for these tips, like the sound of soup and hard boiled eggs, will give that a go, see how I get on,

Thanks
    Andt

Please log in or register to post a reply.