Newbie, delurking

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi everyone,

I’m in my second week of this gorgeously-healthy eating plan, having lost 8lb in the first week, and I thought it was time I delurked πŸ™‚

I want to thank everyone who posts, I’ve found so much inspiration and encouragement here.

I’m not diabetic but I’m high risk with a strong family history and I have about 3st to lose. I’m a sugar addict/binge eater and I’ve yo-yo dieted my whole life. This feels like a new dawn to me – my cravings are less, there’s a pkt of choc digestives in my kitchen and I’ve not really felt tempted by them: unprecedented for me. Usually, if it’s there, I eat it.

I do have concerns about the choc-fest that is next weekend. I’ll be spending the w/e with family, kids, easter egg hunts, choc galore. There will also be carb-heavy meals I won’t be in control of – a bit of a worry but I can probably negotiate those. My main worry is the chocolate. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay strong?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi NewLife, can you start visualising chocolate eggs as a pile of brown crap? Full of sugar. Out to get you. Enemy number 1? The destroyer of all your new life is about?

In a couple more weeks you wouldn’t even be tempted. You may find you are not now.

If you know someone is likely to buy you an egg could you ask them to buy you a bag of nuts, seeds, tub of coconut oil……anything that you can eat which isn’t chocolate?

BTW brilliant first week weight loss!

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi Hashimoto and thanks for the congrats, this really does feel like a new way of life.

I love the idea of piles of brown crap and will start visualising immediately πŸ™‚
    Luckily the adults in the family only buy eggs for the kids so I don’t have to negotiate that hurdle.

• posted by TWills63
    on

Since it appears to be delurking day then I will do the same πŸ™‚ I’m almost at the end of week 1 and like the opening poster I also have a family history of diabetes and have been a yoyo dieter all my adult life. I have about 2 stone to lose but I’d be happy with 1! I snuck onto the scales this morning because I couldn’t resist and have lost almost 10lbs!

I second the thanks to the regulars here for the support and motivation.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi TWills 63 – wow, you’re doing great!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome guys
    You have both had a great start to the plan.
    Easter is just another obstacle to overcome, we all know that putting chocolate in our mouths is bad, so why do it.
    Got to admit it’s a lot easier to resist after about week 4 as the cravings have gone and the sight of the stuff does nothing for you.
    Just like a holiday can be enjoyed without alcohol. it can be enjoyed without sugar

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic weight loss TWills63! If you look at my profile I was hoping to lose 2 stones. I didn’t really believe it was possible but have lost 2 stones and 6lbs! This will work for you too πŸ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

If you tell everyone that you’re not eating any chocolate this Easter, hopefully they’ll help you stick to it – more for them!

Remember that although you’ll probably enjoy eating it at the time, you’ll feel bad about it for much longer afterwards – and every time you get on the scales for even longer than that.

Could you have your own special Easter treat instead of choccie? Fancy scented toiletries, a pot plant, new book etc.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Not eating chocolate is probably best, but if you want to join in you could have some 85% coco chocolate – available in most supermarkets. You can’t each much and stay under 800 kcal, but otherwise it is high in both fat and fibre and most are not too high in sugar.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thanks Bill for the welcome. I’ve been allowing myself small amounts of alcohol (red wine, G+T) but I know myself and even one bite of chocolate would be The End. I was going to wait until after Easter to start but I could make excuse after excuse and there are always going to be obstacles – just gotta learn to surmount them πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi Patsy, that’s a very good point about the regret lasting far longer than the enjoyment!

I’m working on non-food treats, having always rewarded myself with food in the past it’s a tough habit to break. I have a long drive to work and a much longer one to the family at the w/e so I’ve treated myself to all of Harry Potter on Audible, read by Stephen Fry – sheer bliss πŸ™‚

• posted by Mumofsome
    on

Hi Newlife, your weight loss is amazing. I’m so inspired by the folks here. I started yesterday and I’m also a bit concerned about this weekend, I’ve got birthday cake to negotiate and Easter treats so I really feel for you! To get past my longing for chocolate I will smell it; a few deep breathes to enjoy the smell usually does it. Then have a drink of water. You still get your chocolate fix (sort of!) but without the calories!! Whatever gets you through, good luck πŸ™‚ Xx

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi FoFi, thanks for the suggestion but from past experience I’m perfectly capable of bingeing on 85% πŸ™

I love that this forum is so friendly and supportive.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome to all the newbies and ex-lurkers.

Everyone on here is friendly and supportive. There’s usually someone around to answer questions or help with problems. And lots of advice and support.

Looking forward to reading your posts about you’d progress.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi Mumofsome – and thank you! I’m sure you can do it too.

Hmm, smelling the chocolate, interesting…

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi captainlynne, thank you for the welcome πŸ™‚

I’m learning a lot from you guys.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

You are very welcome NewLife. We try our best πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by FoFi
    on

NewLife, I do understand you. Hotel Chocolat have some very small objects which might be okay. They sell Nano bars which are Β£1, for 20g (so Β£50 per kilo!), but I’m not sure which of their flavours are available. They also have tidly pots, the dark one of which is only 70%, but these are little larger at 56g – could you share it?

I bought the nano bars for someone who wanted a small treat, but she wasn’t bothered about the carb %.

Maybe you could have a couple of dark chocolate coated brazil nuts?

• posted by TWills63
    on

Thanks for the welcome and advice about chocolate, which is my biggest downfall. I’m not snobby about it either, I’ll eat the cheap rubbish just as soon as the decent stuff and can binge on either too. There won’t be any in the house over Easter and I think I’ll be okay as we are planning a weekend of spring cleaning….deep joy! I’ve stayed off the alcohol too but I don’t find that a chore as a lot of folk do.

It’s my birthday in a couple of weeks and I’m out for a celebratory meal with family. I haven’t quite decided how I’ll approach that one yet!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Don’t worry to much about chocs. Back in mid 70s I was on an RAF survival course and went 4 days with almost no food. When we were “rescued” and given a Mars bar I couldn’t eat it, my stomach had shrunk and my attitude to food and food waste was changed forever. Good luck to all who my not yet have experienced the lack of cravings after some weeks on this great system.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Twills63,
    Welcome to you and all the other newbies.
    Check to see if the restaurant has put their menu online. Then at least you know what is available before you go and can make a healthy choice. That way you can relax and enjoy your birthday meal without guilt.

• posted by TWills63
    on

I almost always do that anyway (not that it always makes any difference!). In this instance they don’t have anything online for me to look at but it’ll be the usual bistro type stuff I expect. I’ll see how I feel on the day πŸ˜€

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

the way I was thinking of dealing with the choc fest over Easter is to make my own, and allow myself to go over for the day I eat them. I’ll put the recipe into the calorie counter so I’ll know how much they’re costing. I’ll use the thought that I’ve got them in the background to resist random offers of chocolate, and if it turns out that they don’t appeal – I’m sure the rest of the family will be happy to take care of them. Might not work for everyone ( might not work for me), and plenty of people might not think it a good idea, but it’s a way to cope.

• posted by NewLife
    on

FoFi, I’ll keep your ideas in mind, thank you. But at the moment I’m not going to risk anything.

• posted by NewLife
    on

TWills63, I think you and I are the same with regards to chocolate!

Regarding your birthday meal, can you look at the menu ahead of time and work out a plan?

• posted by NewLife
    on

SkyWalker, I sooooo wish that would happen to me. Sadly, I know it doesn’t. I once went for over a year without anything sweet and I thought I’d be ok with ‘just a bite’ of good chocolate. Slippery slope, 50lb regained.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

I think for me, I have to regard chocolate as an alcoholic regards alcohol – never safe.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Oops, should have read ahead TWills63 πŸ˜‰

• posted by NewLife
    on

A question about posting: how does the linky thing (icon at top right of a post) work?

• posted by Maddy733
    on

Posted by maddy733 on delurkngπŸ˜€
    Hi Guys, Love this title. I am guilty of this but as a newbie was apprehensive of joining in. Well I am eight days in and so excited, I am pre diabetic and really over weight by about four stone, it sounds terrible when seeing it written down😑 Good news 9lbs lost in week one. It has really helped reading all your posts, thanks guys. Did any of you get scolded for daring to eat so few calories. Well I have been able to say now well I am not hungry, but did feel very light headed but that has gone now. Good l luck to us all.

• posted by TWills63
    on

NewLife, yes we sound awfully alike don’t we??!? Strangely I’m okay with chocolate if it’s unwrapped but I can eat any amount once it’s open, I think my record (and I’m not proud of this) is 6 cream eggs in about 5 minutes. It’s best if I just stay away completely.

As an aside I weighed myself this morning as that’s officially the end of week one and it’s 10 lbs down and my (fat) clothes feel a bit less snug. I’ve been hungry on occasions but nothing I couldn’t handle and I haven’t been scrupulously counting calories either just being very careful. Here’s hoping I stick at it.

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Hi All,
    I have also been haunting the forums for a couple of weeks (thanks to NewLife for getting the delurking under way).
    I have just finished week 3 and have lost 6kg (around 13 lbs) so far.
    I was healthy weight when I started having kids, but 4 GDM pregnancies in 6 years piled on the kgs and I was diagnosed T2 12months ago. Put straight on meds which made me seriously ill. Went off meds & have simply not been back to the doctor since. Always thought losing weight was the solution, but had only lost 2kg in the last year despite feeling starved and deprived the whole time.
    Can’t believe it’s this easy and nobody told me before.
    Haven’t felt hungry and no cravings that a glass of water hasn’t fixed. Tried a piece of 85%choc. last night for dinner & for the first time on the diet felt sick to my stomach, so no Easter Eggs for me. For once in my life I don’t even care if I can’t have what everyone else is having.
    Fantastic Feeling!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

“Can’t believe it’s this easy and nobody told me before”
    This is the problem, no one is going to tell you because the food firms, the diet firms, and the drugs firms have all invested massively in high carb low fat meals which cause the disease and then it has to be fixed chemically
    I’m afraid we live in a world where the Β£ is vastly more important than the lb

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well said Bill

I think most of us can’t believe how easy this is. After years of ‘doing as we were told’ by assorted medical professionals – whether they be doctors, nurses, dietitians or whoever – we are coming to realise that the solution is far easier than any of them would have us believe.

We can help ourselves, thanks to Dr Mosley end Prof Taylor.

No more following the ‘party line’. We’re in at the beginning of something amazing which will not only help us, but ultimately save the NHS money. As for the food manufacturers – they can change direction (can’t they?). No more low-fat, they could produce low-carb. But the drug companies! Their profits could well take a hit. But why should our health suffer to keep their profits high?

• posted by NewLife
    on

Maddy733 – well done on delurking and on your weight loss πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

TWills63 – wow, 10lb is bloody amazing!

>> 6 cream eggs in about 5 minutes

Easy! I think we may be twins separated at birth…

• posted by NewLife
    on

CurlyGirl – 13lbs is wonderful!

• posted by Sharon
    on

Welcome to all the newbies and keep up the good work.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Curlygirl – how fantastic – not just your amazing weight loss but the change you are finding in your tastes and attitude. 1 square of dark chocolate and you felt sick!!! Wonderful – not feeling sick, of course, just the fact that you now have the confidence that you don’t need or want that stuff!!!!
    Really looking forward to hearing about your progress! πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thanks Sharon for the welcome πŸ™‚

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Thanks hashimoto!

• posted by NewLife
    on

Awake since 4am – worrying about the choc-fest. I’ve made such a good start and I really don’t want to spoil it. Danger time starts tomorrow so if you guys don’t hear from me you can assume I’ve fallen head-first into a vat of chocolate.

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi Newlife
    I am worried about the weekend too, I don’t know how strong I am yet. Chocolate was my downfall I used to eat so much of the stuff. We are doing an Easter egg hunt with our 5 grandchildren and have lots of family over, it is going to be so hard for me to resist. If I do have any(I am hoping I don’t) it will be one day that I have a blib I will get right back on track,

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife and Sharon, please don’t get stressed about the chocolatey weekend. If you do stumble and eat some then you will pick yourselves up, dust yourselves down and start all over again!

Newlife, whatever happens don’t stop posting!!! We are all here to support you. This is so much easier for those of us who have been on this diet for several weeks because you genuinely lose the desire to eat any of the brown crap!!! And I used to love the stuff!!

Can you both ask people to support you by not offering you any? If they do could you just sniff the chocolate and then ignore it? I know that sounds strange but smell and taste are strongly linked.

Hoping you both have a lovely weekend πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

When we were kids we spent the time before Easter decorating gard boiled egs which were used fof the hunts and for rolling down hills.
    Chocolate eggs (we only had a couple each) were given to us after lunch but taken away and doled out gradually in small portions.
    Not a bad way to work it looking back.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s funny Bill I was just remembering the same thing – I used to love the egg rolling, I think it is a particularly Northern thing. We only got one chocolate egg each – if we were lucky!
    All that fun we used to have boiling eggs with onion skins to turn the shells yellow – or raiding the baking cupboard for the cochineal! The painting and glueing etc
    Apart from being much healthier it was so much more fun than just being given a chocolate egg.

Perhaps our younger BSDers might enjoy that as an easter activity this weekend. The kids would love it. πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Judith and Bill,
    We only ever used to get one chocolate egg each too. My grandmother always used to buy us a sugar egg too (maybe an Italian tradition?). It was pure white, decorated with piped coloured flowers and scrolls. Tooth breakingly hard as a rock but it looked beautiful. Every year I would vow to keep it and not eat it, but always gave in lol. No taste to it except sugar though.
    No desire for chocolate at all now, not even the really dark one I used to enjoy πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Like Bill I remember doing the same. Mum would hard boil eggs – she would add the outer onion skin (brown) to the water and it would colour the eggs. She also tried tying lace around the egg to get the pattern onto the egg, but I don’t think we ever got that to work! Easter day there would be an array of coloured hardboiled eggs to take out to roll down a hill.
    The chocolate eggs (usually from the aunties) were rationed – a little on Easter day, the rest smashed into a tin and handed out over the coming month.
    No eggs for me this weekend, but I have just take delivery of 4 hot cross buns – I love the spices! All four have gone straight into the freezer and I will have one at the start of the 5:2 and ration them one at a time for the coming month.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Orchid, great fun wasn’t it. We even tried tie dying eggs lol πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Same here Cherrianne with regards to the brown stuff. I used to love the very dark chocolate with chilli in it. Fortunately I can still eat as much chilli as I want lol πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I must have grown up in the wrong part of the north – never did any egg decorating😳 But will have to do it in a few weeks for a group I’m part of 😱

Like you Cherrianne and Judith, I can’t face that unmentionable brown stuff any more. And I used to eat loads of it – profits of the manufacturers must be taking a nosedive!

Please log in or register to post a reply.