Newbie, delurking

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thank you guys, I’ll try to check in here for a bit of sanity over the weekend πŸ™‚

• posted by AnnaandAlfie
    on

Newbie here too, done a lot of lurking too! Nearly at end of week 1 and a sneaky weigh after 5 days was 2kg – yayyy. My downfall is bread so have cut it out until yesterday when I had a hot cross bun. Only 1 instead of 2 and eaten deliberately slowly with a knob of butter. It was fabulous and afterwards realised that I really only did want just 1. Major step forward!
    Thanks for all the comments that get posted they really are helpful and encouraging, looking forward to getting more involvedπŸ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Annaandalfie, welcome to the forums and thankyou for posting your wonderful success – 2kg in 5 days! Wow! A lot of people are allowing themselves a little easter treat this weekend – it’s much easier for those of us who have been on the diet for some time. It’s amazing how you lose the urge to eat any carbs after several weeks.

You used a very useful tactic by eating slowly and savouring your food and you have learned you can control what you eat! Fantastic.

A group of us have started a petition ‘NHS to encourage diabetics to follow a low carb diet..’
    The link is below if any of you who have already done so would like to sign

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome AnnieandAlfie. What a great start. Hope to keep seeing your progress.

• posted by NewLife
    on

So far so good. I’ve avoided all chocolate and when everyone had pizza I had cheese salad. Go me!

• posted by shal22
    on

Hi, I’m all set to start tomorrow. Have been reading the posts for the last week which have all helped, very inspiring. Got 4 stone to lose! Plan for tomorrow is

plain yoghurt with some seeds, kiwi
    Some prawns for lunch with salad
    Dinner a piece of smoked mackerel and broccoli.

I’ve calculated it at around the 800 cals but nowhere near the 50 carbs. Will also have skimmed milk in my tea which im going to try and cut back on. Heres to a first week x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi shal22, welcome to the forums and congratulations for deciding to follow this diet. You will not be disappointed as you will reap the benefits quickly.

You sound well prepared. Keep posting, there are lots of lovely people on the forums to cheer you on or answer questions πŸ™‚

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi everyone, I’m another delurker, thought it was about time I introduced myself, wanted to ensure I could stick with it first. I’m in Cheshire, UK, female, 51 years young. Not diabetic as far as I know but certainly overweight , really need to lose a couple of stone. First week was great, lost 4.5lbs, not as good as most but I’m pleased, felt fabulous, bouncing off the walls with energy. I weighed myself every day and weight reduced a bit every day – was wonderful to see. End of second week final weigh in today and I’m disappointed as I’ve gained half a pound (mid week it was 2lbs gain). Defies all logic as I’ve eaten so much less than normal, been really careful, not touched a bad carb (only had a bit of swede and parsnip one day) drank loads of water. I use myfitnesspal and worked out my daily averages over the 2nd week – 810 cals and 35g carbs. I’m not letting it put me off though as I’ve seen it works wonderfully for all of you so just hoping to get results nearer week one’s again soon. Thanks for being here all of you, your posts are inspiring πŸ™‚

• posted by Just do it
    on

And I signed the petition the day it went live, number 20!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Stick with it Just-do-it, it will come right. I didn’t do well in week two, but I’m into week 6 now and hovering on the brink of reaching a stone lost, but not counting my chickens yet. Be sure to keep your fats up as well as the water, as this helps to get you body burning fat. Be sure to let us know how you get on and shout out if you need advise or support – someone will respond for sure. Hope you have good results at the next end of week weigh-in.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks justdoit. As sunnyb said, keep at it things will improve and you have made an excellent start πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi justdoit,
    You’ve hit what I call the week 2 blues! Nearly everyone finds their weight loss stalls around week 2/3 and I’m wondering if this might be when our bodies make the transition from carb burning to fat burning. Lots of adjustment for our bodies after the first week on the diet.
    It would be interesting if someone ready to start the BSD would use ketostix from day one and let us know exactly when ketosis kicks in. I think it would be around that troublesome second week.
    I have a bit of an enquiring mind, I like to know why lol, but it’s too late for me as I cross the eight week line today. Yay πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Congratulations on becoming a veteran cherrieanne – though it has felt as if you already had passed that line weeks ago πŸ™‚

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

my week 2 struggles are continuing into week 3. I’m just coming to the end of week 3 and have only lost 1.5 kg. have lost 5cms at the waist, and am definitely fitter, so that’s ok progress, but going to do a bit of tweaking.
    Following the recipe sheets, I’ve been eating about 1000 calories a day, carbs around 20 – 30g. ( except for the days I know weren’t on plan). I’ll drop the calories to the 800, and continue to avoid sugar and simple carbs.
    The day after gym days have not been good – so will experiment a bit with what and when I eat on gym days. ( not diabetic, so don’t test for blood sugar)
    I’ve started, and I’m going to finish. It will be imperfect along the way, but that’s because it’s real. not quite as positive as many of the other posts, but hoping to encourage others who are not finding it easy. Having said that it is much easier to get through a shop without buying junk, and it definitely gets easier to just not eat the junk.
    and thanks to the people who do post, especially the regulars – it is encouraging. for me it would have been very easy to just stop doing it, but reading the forums reminds me there are others out there in this as well.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Thanks so much for the support and encouragement everyone, its much appreciated, good to know I can put it down to week 2/3 blues and not something I’m doing wrong. I will certainly get some ketosticks, to be sure though. Sorry to hear you’ve stalled too nikkioaks, hopefully we’ll both be reporting good losses soon. I agree shopping is so much easier -and cheaper – now. And I can hardly close my fridge door as it’s bursting at the seams with veg!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi nikkioaks, 5cm off your waist is pretty impressive. πŸ™‚ and the kilos are bound to drop off soon. Obviously things are heading in the right direction. Hopefully the coming week will bring better results.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Nikkioaks, if you have lost all those centimetres off your waist something is definitely happening. Perhaps it’s your visceral fat disappearing! Listen to Cherrianne those kgs will follow soon πŸ™‚

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

thanks for the encouragement – does help

• posted by NewLife
    on

Chiming in with my experience so far:

Week 1: 8lb lost
    Week 2: 2lb lost
    Week 3, day 6: I’m on track for around 2lb loss again. I’m not doing anything differently compared to week 1 and I’ll confess to being a little disappointed but then I think how pleased I’d be if I lost 12lb in 3 weeks on any other diet. Plus, I don’t feel hungry and I’ve never been able to say that on any other diet. AND my chocolate cravings have almost gone and are now easy to resist.

I’m in this for the long haul and I’m not going to let my impatience derail me.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi newlife, you are at the stage where your body is a bit shocked. What? No more carbs?

You will keep on losing. Just keep an eye on those nasty carbs, drink your 2 -3 ltrs water and eat fat and fat will keep disappearing πŸ™‚ but 2lbs in a week is not to be sniffed at

12lbs = 24 half pound packs of lard. That’s a lot of fat your body doesn’t need to lug around! πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi New Life – I am in week 6 and have lost 12lb. Don’t get hung up on the stories of massive loses from others. They are probably starting with more to lose. Weight lose always slows after the initial drop, so as long as you are losing you are making progress. Your weight lose is your weight lose and as such the only thing that matters for you and 12lb is a good result. Plus you are seeing other positives, in the change in your chocolate cravings for instance.

Please don’t be disheartened, you are doing really well and as long as you stick with it, you will continue to see results – even if they aren’t happening at the rate you were hoping for.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wise words, sunnyb, the more there is to lose the faster it goes. I have slowed right down now I have reached a BMI of 21.7, though I am still in ketosis. I lose just ounces at a time now. πŸ™‚

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

just checking in to say after a few days of stable weight, it has now gone down – so moving in the right direction again, so hanging in there really does work.

and the other thing I say to myself is that muscle (in a certain volume) is heavier than fat (in the same volume) thing. I have been working hard in the gym, and a smaller fitter body of the same weight is ok, especially when only part way through.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thanks hashimoto and SunnyB, it’s so helpful to have your reinforcement.

I do have less to lose than some, around 3st. And I know I can do it. I have to say, not thinking about chocolate 24/7 is a revelation πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Nikkioaks you are right about the volume thing about fat and muscle.:)

Newlife totally agree it is a revelation about not thinking about sweet stuff 24/7 πŸ™‚

• posted by vcolq
    on

Hi, I thought I would come out of the shadows and introduce myself too! I’ve been LCHF since Jan and have lost 17lbs so far. I am finding that my weight loss is slowing, or rather grinding to a ‘dark chocolate, red wine filled’ halt! Those old bad habits haven’t gone away πŸ™ I have no issue with my blood sugar, but have been overweight all my adult life and want to finally get rid of it. Interestingly, I actually came across this way of eating due to a neurological condition I have and it was suggested this is a better diet for the brain. The weight loss was, initially, a happy by product, however, the more I have learned about the harm carbs do to our body, the more determined I am to lose the weight and make this way of eating permanent. Ha, I say determined… obviously this determination is wine and dark chocolate soluble!

Whilst I will continue to eat LCHF for the few days, I am looking to start the Fast 800 on Thursday 7th April. Wish me luck!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi vcolq, welcome to the forums!! You already know what to do so you don’t need me to tell you to kick the red wine and choccy habit for a while!!

We all wish you luck with starting the fast 800, it will make you much more energetic and healthy. Keep posting! πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good luck on starting the Fast 800 vcolq. Don’t waste time beating yourself up for the blip – you have proved you can make positive change and you will do it again. Make good use of the forum for support and let us all know how you do once you have started the new regime – I’m sure you’ll be posting great results very soon.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi vcolq best of luck from me too.
    Just take it one day at a time and keep telling yourself that’s another day towards not wanting the red wine and choccy. Do that and sometime in week 2 or earlier it will become a reality. Lot’s of us were amazed that not only do we not want those things now, we actually don’t think of them.

• posted by vcolq
    on

Thanks for the welcome! I feel a little apprehensive about it all but I think you’re right, Bill1954 that I need to take it one day at a time. Going to spend next couple of days planning, then off I go!

Please log in or register to post a reply.