New Year 2020 ! One Week at a Time beginning 7th January 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello @wendleg. Thanks for the shout-out 😁
    I have been reading all the posts daily – just been keeping on the sidelines. I had a very social time in Nov/Dec. Kept to low carb when I could, and 16:8 or 14:10 most days. But there was a fair bit of merry-ment in between!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸ·πŸ₯‚πŸ˜œ
    But as others have said, this way of eating is fairly forgiving. For January I have been back to tracking my foods and carbs, aiming for 2-3 weeks of 800 -900 cals/20carbs on most days. Already feeling much better for it, and only a kilo away from where I was end of October when I was in maintenance. So a very good week so far.
    For me LCHF ( low carb healthy fats) is important as I have found it really reduces inflammation in my body. Far less all over pain, less aches, fingers more flexible, sciatic almost unnoticed. By the end of December ( after a couple of months of not being so watchful of carbs) I had really noticed an increase in all my aches and pains. And one day I dived into an apple scroll (bread/danish type sweet bun) and my pain points lit up like a beacon! I just *need* to remember that discomfort whenever I pass that pastry shop again! Just not worth it!
    Hello to everyone and lovely to see so many newbies.
    And a shout out to fellow Aussies LouiseK Elky Duckie etc. What a summer, what a disaster! So glad you have stayed safe Duckie.
    And hi to @birdy76 and hope you are wellπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ
    Koko! Merry

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone x
    Howdy VERANO..ο»ΏThats an absolute revelation to me re Fage!!!!.How did you hear about it?What possessed them to stick 5% on the label? 0% makes sense,followed by 2% (seems logical)..and 5% sounds like it will be …5% fat? rather than full fat. Im sooooo happy tho to hear fullfat Fage is still available,thanks for the heads up 😘
    Missing Mojo…I think losing mojo happens a lot this time of year..the xmas lights n sparkles have gone,its dark cold days,things can seem dreary.
    I don’t know know what the answer is,only that I feel for you sister. I try going thru my wardrobe and remind myself I wont be happy if things get tight ,I want to enjoy dressing for the spring and summer days. That often helps restore my resolve to stay low carbo.
    ARCTIC FOX..good point re fixing fixing the physical problem / stressy prob first,and then work on any remaining behaviours.
    PEACHCAKE/GATTINA,tv=snax for me too…try having a few nuts – Brazils are good for nibbling slowly,some flaked almonds go a long way or a few chunks coconut,a handful berries. Or putting tv off and doing sthing else takes my mind off snacks.
    ditto 4 pm can be a dodgy time for me πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄
    MERRY..thats my experience too re LCHF means far less inflammation and aches!
    Grains really set off my pains much as i love them,Im much better not eating them.

Interesting quote for today..
    You’d never invite a thief into your house.
    So why would you allow thoughts that steal your joy to make themselves at home in your mind?
    .¸¸🐝*β€’.¸🌼¸¸.β€’*Β¨πŸ¦‹Β¨*β€’.ΒΈΒΈπŸ’žΒΈ.β€’*β€’ΒΈπŸŒΏ.β€’*¨¨*β€’πŸ’ž 🐝*β€’.¸🌼¸¸.β€’*Β¨πŸ¦‹Β¨*β€’ ΒΈπŸ’žΒΈ.β€’*β€’ΒΈπŸŒΏ.β€’*¨¨*β€’πŸ’ž ¸🐝*β€’.¸🌼¸¸

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ps Sorry, I meant to say…
    Congratulations and Well Done SLIMMYKIM! Wk 1,6 lbs down x πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰
    Onwards and downwards πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒŸπŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒŸπŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒŸπŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒŸπŸ‘πŸ»

• posted by peachcake4me
    on

So YOWZER and VERANO

Is full fat FAGE 10% fat? I can’t find it in the shops?
    I couldn’t see Verano’s post relating to this very important issue?! πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ˜‚ xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Peachcake the Total full fat equivalent Greek yogurt is now marked as 5% fat. I’ve never seen a 10% Total advertised anywhere.
    Yowzer you could be right about the time of year. At the moment I’m just pleased I kept some β€˜fat’ clothes! I would just like to get to the end of this day within my own boundaries.

• posted by Riccoh
    on

What does everyone do to ensure they get enough calcium? I drink a cup of low fat calcium fortified milk everyday but that’s not enough. I’ve never liked milk and have never really drunk it despite being born on a dairy farm ! Calcium tablets are not an option. They make me constipated. My endocrinologist has taken me off all tablets and supplements except vitD. We haven’t been able to get cottage cheese in the supermarkets here lately. I know yoghurt is an option, too, but its hard to have enough dairy and still keep within my 800 calorie count. Thanks

• posted by JGwen
    on

I know the feeling of hands wanting to be busy eating when watching TV.

I found that starting a very simple knitting pattern (just a cushion cover) so no need to increase or decrease the number of stitches, and the same constant rhythm helped me keep my hands busy when watching TV and helped break the mental links between watching TV and nibbling. – It didn’t even take finishing off the cushion cover before I had broken that habit.

Currently I have a large batch of duvet covers that need new press studs sewing on. Which is something I can do if there is a program on that I want to watch but doesn’t take full concentration to follow.

———————-

There has also been talk in the past of the benefits of jigsaws as something to concentrate on in an evening instead of the TV so you don’t suffer the nibbles.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I am checking in after a relaxing afternoon with my yoga teacher. I am not very supple and feel out of condition even after only 2 weeks away but last year I couldn’t do many of the postures because my belly got in the way !!! So I am definitely improving πŸ˜‰

Love all the comments about beautiful slim ankles !! We should all have something to love about ourselves. It’s interesting but I never really β€˜pampered’ my body ( we didn’t like each other much πŸ˜‰ ) but now I love using creamy body butters . It feels nice to have softer skin. I have been lucky to avoid a lot of wrinkly skin although I am not kidding myself …I am 61 so never going to look smooth ! I think maybe my regular fasting has helped me avoid a lot of loose skin but my floppy arms need toning up !

That’s a great result SlimmyKim..stay determined. As you say , you are doing this for your health . Are you still intending to only do 2 weeks on the Fast 800 ? You mentioned moving on to 5 :2 ? I would say stay with the 8 weeks if you can .I think you need that amount of time to wean yourself off the carbs and establish good habits . Hope you get rid of that cold and cough soon xx

Yes V, I am filling in my battered old notebook ! I am not as precise counting as in the early days but I like the discipline of writing things down. It was really encouraging seeing the numbers go down every week ( they stalled a bit too)
    Sorry you have lost your mojo, V. You have done brilliantly after your surgery and I know you love being more mobile on your travels . Have you got another trip coming up which you can focus on ?

Yowzer, I think the Lidl yoghurt is β€˜ Greek style’ . We do occasionally see a brand called Eridanous and I love the taste . Hopefully you can find Fage anyway.

Hi peachcakefor me ! Hmmm…not sure peachcake is the best choice πŸ˜‰ !!! You have had a great result so it would be a real shame to sabotage that. Maybe because you haven’t got far to go to target you allow yourself to ease off a bit ? Eating rubbish in the evening ? Stop buying the rubbish !! I am in gentle nagging mode πŸ˜‰
    One thing I have learnt over the time I have been on this programme is that certain foods will never be part of my life from now on. I don’t think in terms of the occasional indulgence in β€˜ treats’ because I think that would be incredibly dangerous for me….and because that is exactly what happened with other diets I attempted. I failed miserably time and time again. I don’t consider myself to be β€˜ dieting’ now …I am eating differently and making better choices….and those have to be for a lifetime for me.
    So I have just banished the carbs and no longer feel temptation . Crikey in the past I could scoff 3 bars of Dairy Crunch in a couple of sittings …I was constantly munching !! Now my first thought is whether the food will do me good or not …. I also think that I reached a point where I didn’t want to be β€˜addicted’ any more . I can be very stubborn πŸ˜‰ and I just started to tell myself that food was no longer going to control me, I was going to take charge….
    So what rubbish foods are still calling to you in the evening Peachcake ? If they are high carb snacks you are just maintaining the carb addiction, but you can break that vicious cycle. Don’t be frustrated , get angry !!
    
    I hope that helps you too, Gattina. Food is such a powerful addiction but we can change our mind set. It doesn’t happen overnight but stick at it and you will feel more in control of your choices. You can beat those carb monsters !!
    Another thought….if you have had a satisfying low carb, healthy fat meal in the evening you will not be hungry so it really is about breaking the habits of reaching for snacky stuff.
    JGwen has some good ideas to keep your hands busy ! This post has just taken me some time to type so that’s a good snack avoidance tactic πŸ˜‰
    I am watching Michael Mosley’s Trust me I’m a doctor right now !
    JGwen, can you help with the calcium query ? Have your doctors told you to up the calcum, Riccoh ? I understand leafy greens are high in calcium ? So not just dairy… I hope you are coping there in Sydney xx
    Good to see you back Merry ! We missed you !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Merry, I totally agree that LCHF eating definitely does ease inflammation. Birdy has experience of this too …her poor knees ache when she has a carb overload. That’s brilliant that you are close to your October weight and maintenance. Your posts are really helpful so stay with us, Merry πŸ™‚ Stay safe in Oz too xx I know Melbourne is very smoky and Duckie has had a devastating time….so so sad.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just did a quick search and the following non-dairy foods are high in calcium:
    Arugala (rocket), Kale, Spinach, chard, broccoli
    Seeds especially poppy, sesame, chia and celery
    Sardines and canned salmon
    Almonds
    Rhubarb
    Tofu
    White beans and lentils

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Hi everyone I want to join in also. I had my husband take some before pics today and I plan (will be) taking it serious this time. I have been spending some time every morning watching some videos by Dr. Eric Westman, Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Jason Fung, and Amy Berg. I plan on taking it one day at a time and keeping my cabs at 50 or below.

There are so many on here, so please forgive me if I don’t get a chance to respond to everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi happyitsworking and welcome to the thread ! Make 2020 your year !! Like you I enjoy getting information via videos, blogs , books, anything I can get my hands on to learn more.. I started off with Jason Fung and then just read anything I could find .

I really like Zoe Harcombe’s down to earth approach.She understands about over eating, food addictions, eating disorders etc, having suffered herself .She talks a lot of sense and her books give very sound advice.

I hope everyone is feeling good today and not giving in to carby snacky temptations ! πŸ˜‰ All the very best to you xxx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Happy New Year folks❀️πŸ₯³. Lovely to see the thread busyπŸ€—. Welcome to the newbies and to say you have made the right choice in this way of eating(woe). I am the same as Wendy and many others on here , in that I have tried every diet and so called easy diets going and have never lost more than a stone in weight!! On this woe I have lost 4 stone and am a size 16 for the first time in years!! I feel awesome inside and out. I have a much better relationship with food too, it is no longer an obsession of the constant savoury then sweet and repeat daily intake! The vicious circle is NO more thankfully. I just wish I could get my brother to get on it and stick to it. He is very depressed and the vicious circle is really bad for him. He has been told by the doctor he is well into developing fatty liver disease and T2 as well, but still he is addicted to food. I wish I could go and stay with them for a month and teach them how to do it. His wife doesn’t help because she buys all the stuff they love!! White carbs and crap. They have takeaways too! It is so frightening to watch. But until something clicks like it did for me he will continue to struggle. My Aunty bless her soul was my catalyst, she died last year from diabetes and cancer and I was heading the same way. Before she died she took my brother to one side and pleaded with him not to get like her. She had already lost half her leg to diabetes and she was morbidly obese. She was a lovely lady and we were so so sad to lose her and I am afraid my brother will be the same. He has two beautiful daughters that he needs to be around for.😒😒

So I was nearly a stone heavier for a couple of months as I quit smoking! I have started back on this woe with plenty of water and no carbs and I am back down by half a stone so a good start so far and I know it is sustainable. Hi Merry I am here and I too have been suffering with all my bad joints, which have been killing me since carb eating! My body really doesn’t like them anymore (yay). I have never been so in tune with my body. I feel I know it inside and out! Being back on for just a week and the aches and pains are a lot better and know they disappear altogether soon enough. I am so glad that we are all keeping on and not giving up. It really is a way of life and once you get used to it it is so so easy. My face is not bloated either which is good as it was making me look older and tiered.

Jgwen that sounds like a hell of a lot work you have ahead of you, please don’t over do it. Hello to V and sunny all of you are amazing. Love Birdy πŸ¦œπŸ’ž

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone,hope its a good day for you all 😘
    And a special hello again to HAPPYITSWORKING,a fellow friend from the Fastday forum,which used to be bustling but now sadly v quiet…so its extra good to see how lively it is here on this thread….tho i have to echo HAPPY and say,sorry if i dont reply to everyone….theres too much here to answer! But i truly read every single word and appreciate all the info,tips,advice,comradeship, etc etc
    I seem to have lost four pounds in two days but I know thats just water loss, v welcome tho and encouraging!
    I am being gentle with myself,up to 50g carbs per day,will get stricter as i go along…
    I like this quote,I really need to keep it in mind..
    πŸ’“πŸ’“ Words can inspire,thoughts can provoke,,but only actions can truly bring you closer to your dreams πŸ’“πŸ’“
    ( Brad Sugars)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Three days in and still sticking to weighing, measuring and recording everything consumed and feeling good. I know I’ll be a quite bit over on calories today, but carbs will be under 20g, so not panicking.

Hope everyone is having a good BSD day. Really good to see so much traffic on the thread. It’s this kind of lively participation, that helps to keep us all on track.

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdie Happy New Year!
    I’m so pleased to see you back again. You are amazing! Just one stone gain but still with BSD enthusiasm when you gave up smoking is remarkable, especially as you’ve also had to negotiate the β€˜Silly Season’!
    2020 will definitely be your year!

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy I’m on day 2 of being β€˜mindful’ again but you know without logging into here I’m sure I’d have given up altogether many moons ago. I’m just grateful for all the enthusiasm generated here.
    Sunny I agree, a lively thread is really helpful.
    Sorry not to respond to every post, I do read them, and wish everyone a good journey ….. one day at a time!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone …checking back in again ! I do agree Sunny and V…it’s really uplifting to see activity on the thread again.I was a bit concerned when it started to flag a bit but I think that is normal when Christmas is approaching and people are busy and it’s difficult to think about restrictions… I would hate anyone to give up.
    I am shouting out to anyone who is feeling despondent and discouraged by festive excesses. Just put it behind you, move on and come and join us xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy you really are a great β€˜cheer leader’ ! You just need to start waving these Pom-poms!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Duckie is our resident cheerleader V and is a great pom-pom motivator !!!. I love that she can still find some positivity when dealing with shocking events. I will definitely be waving those pom-poms with her !!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Bit late to be wading in on the yogurt debate, but was in Lidl today and found they have 500g pots of Authentic Greek Yogurt, marked as Produced in Greek. On the nutrition panel for 100g it states:
    132cals / 4.5g carbs / 10g fat
    Hope this helps.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all – hope everyone is well
    I’m feeling very smug and pleased with myself this morning – my fasting bg reading was 5.1 – yay πŸ™‚ which is a far cry from the high readings I was getting before Christmas. I’ve noticed that exercise really helps keep my bg low so I’m trying to do something every day – I’ve done two acqua aerobics classes this week and they were so much fun. I’m finding the diet itself quite easy to stick to, I was obviously ready for this change. I’m having two meals a day – breakfast and dinner so that I can take my diabetes medication – it means I have more fasting time between the meals and easier to have something more substantial within the 800 calories than try to squeeze in 3 tiny meals.
    I’m loving all the posts – really useful and am picking up lots of helpful tips along the way.
    all the best

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi all I am full of cold but still going well with the healthy eating and exercise! I joined the gym last summer and it is so so funny how it is so much more busy in January πŸ˜‚, but it will be quiet again by mid February. Dry January is going well and my Friday night trip to the pub is now a trip to the gym!

I will be making a chicken stir fry tonight for supper and will weigh in tomorrow and see how I have done. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words V I am very lucky I didn’t put anymore on as the last time I quit smoking I gained three stone!

I am also very positive as this time last year I had five stone to discard and this year it is only a stone! It is unbelievable to me as no other diet/WOE has ever done that for me.

Gattina that is great news on your BG, people have got off of meds altogether with this WOE and I am sure you will too eventually. Awesome❀️❀️

Wendy as always you are an inspiration and a great nagger and we love you.

Hope all of you are well, remember we are awesome and so is this WOE. Love Birdy πŸ¦œπŸ’ž

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sound like you’re definitely reaping benefits already, Gattina, your efforts are definitely being rewarded. That will help to makes it so much easier to stick with the plan, if things get a little rough later on.
    Birdy, huge well done for ploughing on even while your poorly and I’m sure you’ll be rewarded tomorrow when you step on the scales. You have already come so far and I’m confident now you’re back on track, that you’ll get rid of that stone quickly.
    I’m a daily weigher and so far things are heading in the right direction. Will hold off posting any results until next week though, just in case there are any slips or trips over the w/e.
    Keep on keeping on folks! Have a great BSD w/e.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi All!
    Thank you SUNNYB for the Lidl greek yog info..thats v useful for me!
    Will be glad when my local Lidl opens ..which is v soon!
    The cal content per 100g is virtually the same as Aldi greek yog (132 cals)
    Carb content per 100 g lower ( 3.7g rather than 4.5g)
    Fat same as Lidl brand(10g)
    BIRDY..You’re brill keeping on keeping on,despite a cold..a cold makes you feel so miserable,it wd be easy to comfort eat!
    Thats fab that you go the gym on a friday instead of the pub! And dry Jan too..youre a star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟and an encouragement to all of us x
    It really helps to know others are trying their very best to be healthy and fit. πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š
    Ps! Can anyone tell me..is anyone else getting logged out by the minutes?
    Literally in minutes..i can click onto another page and then find myself logged out! Gahhhhhh! Anyone know why?
    Is there a tech dept or a mod i can ask..I think there used to be?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well, there was meant to be some maintenance happening from this afternoon, which they said would disrupt email notification. Don’t know if that might have caused a glitch. The is a tech dept, but I’m not sure how to contact them.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks SUNNYB! I recall getting in touch with techies here back in 2016/ 2017,and they were v helpful
    Hopefully like you said,just a glitch coz of maintenance..I know my email notification has deffo been disrupted over the last day or two X

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry I am too weary to write a long post tonight. I need a good sleep then I will perk up . Wishing everyone a great weekend and no snacking remember πŸ™‚ xxx

• posted by SlimmyKim
    on

Thanks Birdy76 for the inspiring post about your reasons for losing weight and getting healthy. I love reading everyone’s stories. Get well soon-dose up on hot lemon πŸ‹

Wendleg- you asked if I was planning on staying on the fast 800, and I’m really unsure. I’m definitely going to do a full two and a half weeks but have a couple of social events next Saturday and Sunday. I was just thinking about making some reasonable choices, but accepting I may go over the 800. I’m definitely going to be doing Monday to Friday on 800-it’s pretty straight forward when at work and I’m feeling pretty focused . Will I completely sabotage my hrs work by eating more on the two other days?

How are people keeping busy over the weekend? Housework for me and perhaps a walk tomorrow.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im not really achieving much.I weigh daily and its up and down.Ive got the scales on the bench to weigh my food but I forget to do it.I went back to the gym which is good but I came home and slept for two hours then feeling starving ate everything .eg cheese crackers. Yogurts.biscuits .So over all Im still working on getting some consistent habits.Im told it takes 21days to create a habit.lets see if its true. Im also forgetting the water so constipation has reappeared.I hate to be so negative but Im feeling a bit cross with myself. I KNOW how to follow this plan. Ive done it successfully before .I need more focus and detetmination.Today Im going to make a big veggie soup and use my water bottle .I hope everyone is on track and doing well.KOKO

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all
    Birdy – hope your cold gets better very soon and thanks for the encouragement. You have done so well – it’s really encouraging to hear. I am determined to come off the medication – I hate taking it.
    Thanks SunnyB – good luck with the weigh in and look forward to your grand reveal next week πŸ™‚
    Wendleg – hope you had a good rest
    Butterlover – sending hugs… be kind to yourself, it’s human to falter and you know how to do this so you will get back into the habit. You’re going to the gym and you’re making good choices so it will come… πŸ™‚

It’s a bit gloomy here – I’m planning to go for a nice long walk in the park but I better take my woollies with me as I don’t think I’ll stay warm just through walking πŸ™ Never mind – it’s been such a mild winter I shouldn’t complain. I will head down to Lidl later this afternoon – I have got to try some of the greek yogurt everyone is talking about…
    Have a good weekend everyone
    KOKO

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

BUTTERLOVER..dont be too hard on yrself,christmas and new year celebrations are only just over and it can be hard to re adjust
    Like you,i know exactly what to do and have been successful before,we know we can do this and enjoy doing it.
    Yesterday I agreed to pass on some xmas chocs that a dieter wanted out of her house..what did i do..instead of giving them to my neighbour as planned,i ate them! Not all of them,but still..why did i do it?
    I think it was coz Im not quiiiiite yet back into the right frame of mind ..just halfway,maybe three quarters of the way there …nearly back on track
    Todays going well,hope good for you too..that veggie soup sounds lovely and comforting
    We mightn’t be where we want to be just yet ( our goal weight / dress size) but neither are we where we used to be. At one time,I would have eaten all the chocs,then drawn a chair up to the fridge and eaten the contents!
    We β€˜ll make it to our goals,taking things day by day and week by week 🌈 🌟 🌈🌟🌈

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Butterlover – look for the positives. I’m confident that things are not as doom and gloom as you think. For instance, if you are going to the gym, at the very least you must be toning up a bit, even if the scales are not moving. Make tomorrow count and take it from there. I have found it really useful getting back to weighing and measuring everything I consume. I’m not going to pretend that I have been on 800 cal a day (think I’m averaging around 830 cals per day at the moment) so it is helping me to get close. Have been keeping carbs around the 18g per day mark (although yesterday was double that!). Seems to be having a positive effect on the scales though, even with the blips here and there …. so far.
    Gattina – fingers crossed things don’t take a wrong turn in the next few days and I’m able to make a ‘big reveal’! Think w/e’s can be a shaky time for a lot of us on this WOE, so weigh-in’s at the beginning of the week can sometimes blip upwards rather than down …. sadly I speak from experience. Still, remaining hopeful that I will be able to report a reasonable discard when the new weekly thread starts.
    Yowser – self sabotage is something many of us have grappled with at sometime. The positive is you didn’t eat all the chocs. If you’ll forgive a bit of friendly nagging, if think you might go back to do so, put them in the bin NOW. You’ll be back on track properly soon and in all likelihood, yesterday’s little indulgence won’t have done much damage. Stick with it … keep on keeping on.
    My personal report is I was annoyed with myself yesterday, as somehow I manage to completely mess up on the carb front, but think this was due to a portion of lentils I hadn’t planned for but put on my plate at the last minute. Will be steering clear of those for awhile. Today it’s the calories which are running high and I still have dinner to go. Like I said, w/e’s can get a bit wobbly!
    Hope others are having a good BSD w/e and looking forward to sharing news of progress, when the new weekly thread kicks off next week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I very much enjoyed my lie in and tootled off to my aqua gym class which also livened me up. I had a lovely pampering session in the hammam and salt sauna so my skin is soft and smooth as a baby’s !!
    Hi Slimmykim !
    You have made a great start and you should be pleased with yourself. I think we all have to find what works for us according to our circumstances, objectives and motivation etc. Transition to 5 :2 is , in my opinion ,a good option as long as you maintain wise choices on the 2 days even if calories are higher . It might make the discard slow down a bit but you say you are looking to lose 2 stone….so a manageable amont ? It wouldn’t really matter how long it takes as long as the process enables you to retrain your appetite and avoid reaching for unhealthy, sugary, starchy foods. It’s those foods that keep us fat and addicted.

I am a bit β€˜hard core β€˜ in that I don’t allow carbs even when I am faced with an occasion where they could be on offer. I just eat other things. That doesn’t work for everyone and as people say β€˜life gets in the way’ and there are celebrations when it is difficult to avoid certain foods.
    So no, I don’t think you need fear sabotaging your efforts during the week Slimmykim as long as your weekend events don’t set you off on an infernal carb binge… You can enjoy some lovely foods and ignore the bread and buns πŸ˜‰ I hope you got over your stinking cough and cold
    PS I am not that busy over the weekend. Apart from Saturday’s exercise and pampering I like lazy weekends where I don’t do mucha part from (gentle) housework, a bit of cooking ,washing and ironing and cat cuddling ! I also chat to friends family and my boys xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Butterlover . Sorry you are feeling a bit negative and struggling at times. You know JGwen would tell you not to weigh yourself too often if it is discouraging. Other changes are happeneing but long term what works is cracking the carb addiction. Think about your health. You have said you are pre diabetic so you have made the decision to take charge and avoid full blown diabetes . That is a massive motivator.
    Verano said on another thread that Professor Roy Taylor had brought out a new book on reversing diabetes

Life Without Diabetes: The definitive guide to understanding and reversing your type 2 diabetes
    There are some recipes on there which maybe could help to keep you focused ? Make 2020 your year Butterlover . We are all here to support you xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Shout out to Yowzer ! Chuck those chocs out Y !!! If there are any left that is πŸ˜‰ Only gently nagging ! I know you will be in the right frame of mind soon because you know what to do. As you say, you didn’t eat the fridge πŸ˜‰ You have been successful….make 2020 your year too !! Keep posting Yowzer . I love your honesty and passion !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hope everyone is having a good weekend xxx I am not a regular weigher so I won’t report any numbers for a while but we will keep this thread going and support each other through the successes and any blips. Keep going everyone xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yowzer ! I just read that you did not scoff the whole box of chocs !!! Well done and sorry if I suggested you might have done that πŸ˜‰
    I know what you mean about the dark nights. I hate driving in the gloom but remember Spring is coming ! xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh no worries WENDY!im delighted with myself that I didnt eat the lot! I’m such an all or nothing person,it was a miracle
    that I didnt πŸ˜„
    And yes! spring is on the way wooohooooo! X🌸🌺🌼🌷🌸🌺🌼🌷🌸🌺🌼🌷

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Jennie10, it was your account of all the changes that reminded me of my ankles; getting rid of fatty liver disease, healthy blood sugar, more morning energy…. all these improvements from what we eat.

Verano, you are so right about holding onto the habits associated with our success. For me it’s the Sunday morning measurement and recording it in the Libra app.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello all I had chocolate biscuits last Night 😒 oops!

I have not weighed in as have decided to do it Tuesday! Fingers crossed. Mind going to the gym and working out will build my muscles and they weigh heavier than fatπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I spent most of Friday in bed with my cold and then went to the gym to use sauna which did help a little! Cleared my airways a bit! Not sleeping great at the moment but I am nearly back up to 3 litres of water a day. My belly is flatter and my face is losing its swollen look as no booze!

I have had a couple of stir fry’s this weekend and roast chicken today minus the potatoes and stuffing. I am feeling lighter and less bloated and my aches and pains are getting better.

So glad people are also finding it is making a difference. We will KOKO and get there.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Love Birdy πŸ¦œπŸ’ž

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone on this quiet Sunday evening ! Just had a lovely long chat with a dear friend. The fire is roaring, the cats are snoozing, hubby is cooking tonight , all is well !!

Oh Birdy ! What are you like !!: πŸ˜‰ I just love your honesty and choccy biscuits confessions !!! I assume you are buying them for the family and they just ‘jumped into your gob’ I remember that line from a while back !!! πŸ˜‰ Welll done you for going to the gym when you are feeling under the weather. Glad the inflammation and bloating is easing. All the best for a good Week .

Hi Patricia ! Love your discipline too with the measuring. I still find it surprising when I look at myself in the mirror. I am definitely a smaller version of myself but it’s still not ‘familiar ‘ to me.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend and the motivation is still present ? I will do my very best to keep this thread active.I will renew it tomorrow night and on we go.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’ll certainly be with you for another week Wendy and I’m sure that there will be lots of others joining in too, we are after all still at the very beginning of the year and have plenty to achieve yet.
    Bit worried about tomorrow, as it will be my birthday and OH is taking me out for the day. Promise to make BSD friendly food choices, but there will likely be some wine, for which I won’t be apologising! I think that despite that, overall for the week, there should still be a discard to report …. fingers crossed.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Sunny ….Don’t worry about tomorrow ! It’s a special day ….just one day in the grand scheme of things and you deserve to enjoy yourself with your lovely OH.

In case you don’t get time to check in tomorrow………………

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Aaww! Thanks Wendy πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh SUNNY! may i join WENDY in wishing you an early HAPPY-BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Let the birthday fun begin!
    πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸ’•πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰
    Enjoy,and remember,there are no carbs in bday goodies! Or cals! Its the law! πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹
    I agree with Wendy…Life’s too short not to celebrate special days,so just have a lovely time and celebrate like crazy X

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Hi Wendy. I’ll be here for another week, too. Thanks all for the inspiration everyone and the advice re the calcium. Wendy, you mentioned your smaller image was unfamiliar. I am at the beginning of my journey. I have not been in the “normal ” weight range since the late 70s. I look at photos of myself as I am now but don’t feel as big as I look in them. I try to avoid the camera and when I see a photo that person looking back is not me. I don’t feel fat but of course at nearly 100 k I am. Yesterday I looked for photos of myself from 2001 when I lost 20k at WW , down to just over 80, as I thought they might be motivating but sadly I don’t have any. I was always the one taking the photos.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Riccoh …I was in denial for a long long time and even though I must have known I was an unhealthy weight I avoided facing up to the reality. I was happy in other areas of my life ( newly wed at 51) so maybe that contributed to the situation of weight not being a priority… ?? I now look at photos of me at that time and am quite shocked. I was over 100 kilos, at least Uk size 22. I didn’t ‘feel’ that big .

However …health issues began to appear and it was time to take charge. My youngest son also expressed concern and I think that was a wake up call for me.
    I still tend to reach for clothes which are roomy and am trying to get used to smaller sizes. My family told me I was wearing the wrong sized clothes at Christmas and I would certainly never have picked up anything in size 14 .
    Riccoh just concentrate on your health . You survived bowel cancer ….bl***y brilliant ! You are preparing to be the best version of yourself from now on .You can do it ! Remember sugar is to be avoided at all costs . I still don’t understand why foods high in calcium are so important for you ? Not challenging your doctor’s advice…just want to understand.
    For transit issues ..you coud try having chia seeds sprinked on Greek yoghurt ? You are drinking lots which is good. Can you get psyllium husks in Australia ? Good to avoid constipation. It worked for me to avoid issues after a hernia op .If you put a tablespoonful in water it makes a gloopy , oaty type consistency which gives a good dose of fibre.
    Glad you are staying with us Riccoh and hope all is well in Sydney xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Yowser …. thanks for the exuberant birthday wishes! Not sure yet what we will be doing, but pretty sure there will be food and wine. This week has gone well, so I won’t be going completely over the top, but will enjoy the day nonetheless.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I wanted to ask..if you have ever lost and then regained..What was it that caused that slippery slide into a regain?
    For me,downfall began when i moved homes,just after losing 100 pounds… I had a lot of visitors and got into the habit of baking scones etc for said visitors
    I began tucking into these treats too! Plus a new neighbour,who I did a little shopping for, started leaving sweets,chocs,cakes by my front door to say thank you,which I promptly ate,nine times outta ten.
    Somehow I went from mindset of β€œhigh carbs are no longer for me” to embracing them again.
    The result being three stones back on over two and a half years.
    Irony being,in the area I lived in previously,I lived right by a bakery,a sweetshop,a fish n chip shop,pizza place,a chinese restaurant,and two cafes. All within a two min walk.
    But I was in that β€˜ high carbs aren’t for me’ frame of mind, so I didnt visit those places,not even once, in the year it took me to lose a hundred pounds. Didnt even bother me.
    I need to get that mindset back,and I can feel it returning! And this time,when I’ve lost this three stone again,I will keep hold of the β€˜ no thanks high carbs’ mantra!
    Ps I have just typed crabs instead of carbs..three times! Anyone else find that they do this! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Please log in or register to post a reply.