New Year 2020 ! One Week at a Time beginning 7th January 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am setting up the new weekly thread to begin on Tuesday but feel free to join in anytime. Some find it helpful to have a manageable weekly target and so please do not hesitate if you would like ongoing support .
    I was a serial dieter, and January was always a dismal time for me as I felt disgusted with myself and my ballooning size , constantly in discomfort, trying the latest fad diet but never getting past February. That changed for me in September 2018 after discovering Michael Mosley’s books and Tv programmes. I embarked on a low carb programme which I was amazed to be able to sustain and discard the weight which had held me down/back for so long. I have discarded 5 stone/30 kilos after starting out at 16 stone/100 kilos ( although I think I was heavier than that but was in denial )
    I was fortunate to avoid a diabetes diagnosis but I reckon I was well on the way . I can now walk without pain , look at myself and feel happy that my clothes look decent and I am not shrouded in ample tunics and leggings. I bought jeans for the first time this holiday.I honestly cannot remember when I last wore jeans . I am 61…never too late 😉
    I have made friends with the body I abused and despised for so long. I respect food and no longer fear it. I am no longer addicted to sugar and processed foods. It has all come about as a result of my stubborn commitment but also the fantastic support, advice and encouragement I have received on this forum. I have learnt so much .Thank you folks xx
    So if like me you are feeling down and despondent and want to make massive changes to your health and well being, just take the first step and join in on the threads here.
    This weekly thread runs alongside the monthly one and is useful for anyone who would like a short term target . You can choose to weigh in or not, stay quiet or be as active as you wish but most importantly, believe that this programme works and DON’T EVER GIVE UP .
    There are some fantastically knowledgeable and supportive people on here who will always do their best to answer any queries and no question is considered insignificant or stupid.
    Noone is perfect. We all have blips and moments of excess ( mine is thick cream and choc  ) but you really can change your attitude to food and establish sound healthy eating habits . I had resigned myself to my menopausal midriff and never thought I could change things but here I am wearing size 14 jeans !!! I used to be a size 22 in my dresses.
    So my message is just to say believe in yourself and take charge of your health. It is precious and you are worth it !!
    You can do this !!
    By the way , as the host of this thread I have a reputation for ‘nagging’ but it is always done with respect and gentle persuasion. I won’t let you get away with bread and buns though 😉 Or Galaxy, Scottishgal 😉
    Those who know me and those who would like to get to know me, I look forward to your posts !!! It doesn’t matter if you are starting out, re starting, feeling overwhelmed, whatever , just take that important first step. You will never regret it .
    Wendy xx

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back wendleg and Happy New Year! You really are a top motivator. I shall be popping in from time to time. Like you, I have returned to recording everything I eat for a while – it really is a good discipline. Enjoy your jeans!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy thank you so much for your truly inspirational post and for again heading up this important thread. I’m sure there are many like me, for whom having weekly support in achieving small goals is invaluable.

I have knowingly overindulged over the festive season, but I’m not going to waste time on unproductive negativity about it. So, I’ll be weighing in and kick starting the full on BSD regime again tomorrow, but I won’t report in with a start weight until Tuesday. January is a difficult month for me, so will definitely be keeping close contact here.

My intention is to get back to sub target weight sooner rather than later, as I have been too lax for too long and am fearful of what the ultimate result might be, if I Don’t take back control NOW. I have no doubt being accountable here, will help me achieve my goal.

Looking forward to sharing knowledge and support in the coming days/weeks.

• posted by Paw71
    on

Newbie here! I’ve just batch cooked soups and curry for next week – I’m a bit nervous that I’m going to get bored having the same thing every day but I’ll freeze stuff if that turns out to be the case? I’m also thinking lots of mint tea and water…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning caron and SunnyB ! Good to see you both . You can manage January, Sunny , we are with you !
    Welcome Paw71. ! Don’t worry about getting bored.There are loads of delicious foods you can find which don’t have to be high in carbs. I like checking out the http://www.dietdoctor.com website for recipe ideas and general low carb inspiration and info. There are lots of recipes on the forum too.

I am at work here.It’s cold and misty but I am not complaining. Hoping for better conditions in Australia.
    Have a good day/evening everyone , wherever you are.
    I will check back in later when I get home xx

• posted by cec1969
    on

Another newbie here! Very nervous as I have failed on other diets on so many occasions and need to try to get my head into the right place to make this work. I look forward to reading all the posts and really trying to make this work. Good luck everyone.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

What a lovely post Wendleg to start the first 2020 weekly challenge! You are so right: this does work, and more importantly, it is so forgiving of “blips”. This morning I weighed in at 70 kgs, so 1.5 discarded since 1 Jan (and I can also feel clothes that smidge looser). No alcohol (I have tried some no alcohol wine, which is not ideal carb-wise, but better…). Delicious supper the last two days of simple baked cod loin (butter/olive oil/lemon juice/salt and pepper) with pan fried cavolo nero. And lots of water – it’s amazing how that really does make a difference. As before, I am not really counting, but just being mindful of ingredients and portion sizes (and did I mention water?) seems to be doing the trick. I also read somewhere that other “diets” – ie where you can have a small amount of say rice/pasta/cake type carbs – just slow down the base metabolic rate – JGwen will have all the gen on that! – so that is possibly why other methods only work in the very short term. Anyway, all the best to all for the coming week(s)!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

My use of the word “challenge” was wrong. It’s not a challenge or a hardship – just want to make that key correction, esp for new joiners! This is not a competition, just a great forum for support and advice.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see some new BSDers joining in here. Paw 71, if you think you will get bored with the dishes you have pre-prepared, why not take a look at the recipe section here and see if you can find a few simple additions to keep things interesting. Cec, no need to be nervous, we will be here to offer advice and support as needed, just shout if you are not sure about something, someone will offer up some answers. The thread is populated by old-timers as well as newbies, so there is plenty of experience and knowledge lurking here, which you are very welcome to draw on.

Made a start on my reboot today and feeling good about it. Looking forward to being more active on the forum again too, both to offer and – when necessary – gain support.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Wendy, six turkeys, I am here again after a very successful January to April 2019 on 800. My discard was 14kg (bit more than two stone) and I kept it off too.

I’m saying that so that new starters have confidence in this, unlike low calorie diets that make you put it all back again.

But we are all different, especially if we are managing diabetes. I did have a pre diabetes diagnosis last year, but low carb food has healed me and I have not developed diabetes.

I am so grateful for the support I received here to stay healthy and koko. That’s keeping keeping on, but maybe I’m cuckoo as well 😂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Patricia !
    Great to see you ! Are you still maintaining ? That’s brilliant that you tackled the pre diabètes diagnosis and a really important message to pass on to anyone concerned by T2. There are lots of very successful cases of reversing and managing diabètes on the threads and we must not forget that.

Hi 6T !
    70 kilos is great….I have been stuck there for a long time and hope to sneak into the 10 stone bracket sometime this year ! I have decided to complete my notebook again and even though I can get away with not counting as precisely as in the early days, it is still easy to overlook the times I dip into the almond jar or sneak a crafty square (or two !) of choc ! Drinking lots ( water !) is important too.I certainy did not do that over Christmas but I am back into my routine now and took my big flask of green tea into school today.

As Sunny says, don’t be nervous cec1969. You will only find help and support on the thread. I totally agree that it is important to ‘get your head in the right place ‘ .It means a radical shift in thinking about foods, particularly carbs and accepting that fat is not the demon as we have been told for décades. Think of food as doing you good so banish anything processed and replace the old standards ( potatoes, pasta , rice , bread ) with leafy green veg. Cauliflower rice is standard for us now. As the months have gone by I have gradually changed my attitude to food and the idea of ‘comfort’. Trust yourself cec1969. Banish thoughts of failure. Noone will tell you that adopting this way of eating will be easy but it does work and in time you will retrain your appetite and not find sugary, carby foods appealing. I never knew what it was like to feel hunger as I was constantly grazing. I feared being hungry and chomped all day long but it is liberating to know I can now go for hours without eating and survive ! I never eat breakfast these days and that works well for me. I tend to mix up my routine, one or two meals a day according to my working hours.
    Stay with us cec1969. We have all been where you are, have tried all sorts of diets and not been able to sustain the restrictions. You CAN make this work ! All the very best to you xx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im back to continue my journey.2steps forward 4 steps back but never giving up.currently struggling with an obsession for bread with lots of butter.Others in the house need to eat bread as they are under weight . So Im just needing more self control. I started a daily walk but not every day and waiting for my group fitness to start again after the holiday season.Im going to read MMs book again to recharge my motivation. Welcome to new comers and hi to the rest.thanks wendy for starting this thread

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello everyone. Tuesday has been my weighing day for as long as I can remember so, with tomorrow being the first of 2020, I’ll be starting afresh tomorrow. New year and new journal. I love those pristine pages!
    We are entertaining three times this week but now we cook what we eat and most people seem to accept low/no carbs quite easily, even if they are a bit shocked at the absence of potatoes etc. at first! The way I look at it is that you wouldn’t expect meat if you were invited to a vegetarian home, so we follow suit and offer very few carbs.
    Wendy thank you for starting another ‘week’. Looking forward to the journey with friends, old and new.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Butterlover ! I know bread is a trigger for many. Kazz Uk has often mentioned her battle with the bread monster. She has various strategies for resisting temptation…imagining a slice of bread covered in yucky stuff, sink suds and hair for example !! My strategy would be to refuse to see bread as a ‘friend” because it makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable. I find reading is a great motivator. I got a bit obsessed reading everything I could get my hands on . I am presently reading

Diabetes Unpacked: Just Science and Sense. No Sugar Coating
    by Tim Noakes (Author), Jason Fung (Author), Nina Teicholz (Author), Malcolm Kendrick (Author), Zoë Harcombe (Author), & 5 more

It’s good to keep focused on our health when temptation strikes. You are stronger than the bread butties, BL !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V ! I am with you on the journal but mine is far from pristine. It”s a bit battered but it really helped me in the early days and it has pages left for 2020 ! It’s from The Works in the Uk and the cover reads ‘ Don’t quit your daydream ‘ 😉 I am definitely not quitting although I have not made much progress for a few months. I reckon slipping into cream , choc and nuts overload had something to do with that !!! Hopefully 2020 will see a renewed downward trend although I try not to obsess too much with the scales ( thnaks JGwen !!)

Where are you JGwen ?

• posted by wendleg
    on

I just spotted JGwen on the January thread ….explaining why it’s important not to not focus too much on the scales !
    That’s our JGwen !!! xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lovely to see lots of the established posters here – 6T, Butterlover, Patricia and of course Verano. Seems we will again be travelling together on this quest. Travelling is always so much more pleasant in good company.

This was my first day back weighing, measuring and recording everything consumed and the results are interesting – 1098 cals and 15.03g carbs. I’ve eaten pretty much as I have been over the last few months, so I’m thinking that I need to pay much more attention to the calories, if I want to get back to target weight. Seems I am not one of those, for whom taking care of the carbs is enough. Will report in tomorrow morning with a start weight and look to get as close to the 800 cals as I can for the next few weeks. We know we can do this and achieve good things ….. keep on keeping on folks!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I think I am very much like you Sunny….low carb comes naturally to me but the calories can add up even though I think my food choices are “healthy”. I am back to tracking for the time being. Reducing the cream should hopefully make a difference.
    Yes…I love that we are travelling together. Would love to see Amz posting…and Scottishgal…Birdy and Allie of course ! Xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, it would be lovely to see some more of the old/er names popping up on the thread again.
    And yes, I’m convinced if I don’t get the calories down, I won’t see the pounds come down again. Like you I am reducing the cream intake and trying to ignore the bar of dark choc in the fridge. Hope I’ll be able to get closer to the 800 calories tomorrow than I did today. I know now that you are back at work, you will soon have things under control again, Wendy.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

May I join you ladies? And any gents..
    In July 2017 I posted here that I had lost 100 lbs,7 st 2 lbs,after a year of BSD
    Since then,2 1/2 years later,have regained well over 2 stone..lets be honest! 3 stones…I’m only human and it creeps back up! It didnt help that I moved house and a neighbour here kept leaving cakes and chox at my front door! Yeh I know,I didnt have to eat them all!😄
    So,am going to try a combo of BSD and maybe throw in some IF and have a look at Fast 800 too.
    That’s if its ok with you guys for me to join the January Journey! A week at a time sounds good x

• posted by Elky
    on

Happy New Year everyone, hope you all had a grand festive season.

Thanks for setting up the weekly thread, Wendleg, I’m back for another year of the support and encouragement this forum offers.

I can’t believe that January is a week old already and I don’t seem to have quite managed to leave the holiday extravagances completely behind yet. So hopefully checking in here regularly will help me out, just as it has in the past. Nothing particularly ambitious this week, just aiming to get back to 20g carbs and 800 calories.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by wendleg
    on

Of course you can join us Yowzer49 ! Welcome ! We do see a few gents on here from time to time but they tend to disappear after a while :-(..I don’t know if it’s something I said ?? 😉 They do pretty well too so would love to see our blokes back !
    Wow you had a fantastic discard in just a year ! Well done you ! You obviously know what works for you. I don’t think I will ever eat the starchy carby stuff again but I can see how indulgence can creep in so I have to keep an eye on that. I can only kid myself for so long that I only eat choc over 90%. I have got into the habit of intermittent fasting too ..plus an extended one in my workign work.I doubt I will be able to do that when I stop work but I can’t face breakfast ever now.
    All the best Yowzer !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Elky ! Lovely to see you. Hope you are managing the heat there in Canberra. You will soon get into your normal routine and the extravagances will be a distant memory 😉 I have fortunately left a lot of treats behind in the Uk…although the same cannot be said for my hubby.I discovered three massive pork pies in the freezer this morning !!!

I hope the week goes well for everyone as January continues . I quite like the feeling of renewal and reboot. Can’t wait for Spring though !

Where is sunshine girl ? Are you back from the Uk, SG ?

• posted by Paw71
    on

Probably a daft question (ie I suspect I know the answer) but are berocca fizzy vitamins off the table on the BSD? I feel a lot better when I take B vitamins

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and the first weigh-in of the year for me …… oh dear!!! Anyway, time to just get on with eating properly. I am definitely a ‘boredom’ eater so really do need to address that. I do eat ‘healthy’ stuff with few carbs but just too much!
    Lovely to see so many new and returning travellers. Having ‘friends’ to travel the road with definitely helps.
    Paw71 I use a vitamin B complex tablet which will probably do the same as berocca but at a fraction of the cost and without carbs, I think!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I am sure Verano that it is nothing to worry about! I recall that you had a little notebook in which you entered what you had not eaten (rather than tracking what you had), which is a great idea and one I might well adopt myself. It is great to see returners, whether from just before Xmas or from longer ago. And also maintainers; that is great news Patricia; please share your secret!
    I have a batch of egg muffins in the oven as I type. For new joiners, these are a brilliant idea; basically a crustless quiche, which I discovered on here. Very tasty hot or cold, so a great lunchbox idea. Plus you can ring the changes with whatever additions you fancy (within reason obvs…)or have to hand (mine today are pancetta; bit of cheddar; a tspn of petits pois per muffin and a 1/2 teaspoon of fried onion; a smidge of sage). I have a green chilli left over from making a curry; thinking of what I might combine with that for the next batch. Ideas please! Butterlover, I also wondered whether it would help if you had a batch to hand to grab rather than bread – if they were cold I can’t see why you couldn’t cut into chunks and put a bit of butter on! They are so tasty though so you would have to make sure nobody else in the house nabbed them! Hope everyone is feeling well and positive.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the sugestions to help my bread craving.I took action today.I bought a less yummy loaf , basic high fibre white not french or sough dough.then divided it into batches for the freezer. My skinny son can make do with toasting it.out of sight outof mind So proud to say 24hours bread free and ontrack to be under 800cal. IM also trying to extend my fasting so delaying breaky till 11am.I hope this massive effort will show on the scales soon. I have a lunch outing tomorrow and planning to just have salad. Suddenly feeling very motivated I wonder how long it will last.Koko

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So good to see there are still people joining us here. Welcome to everyone and I’m sure together we can get where we want to be.
    Paw71, think Verano is right about the vit B option, as I’m guessing berocca is sweetened in some way.
    Well done on the bread avoidance Butter. One day at a time and soon you won’t want it, as you do at the moment.
    Today I woke up with a dehydration ‘hangover, which tells me I need to do better with water today. New rule, drink a glass of water, while waiting for the kettle to boil for coffee or tea.

This morning I weighed in at 8.8lb above target weight, so a loss of 9lb will see me a smidge under target. After yesterday’s over indulgence on the calorie front, I know there is work to be done. Plan for today is not to eat until I am truly hungry and to look to reduce the fats, as I’m pretty sure this is where I have been too generous – cream, olive oil, butter, cheese (too much over the festive season), rapeseed oil … well, you get the picture! Just need to take action.

Feeling good about being back in control and looking forward to learning how everyone is getting on and sharing ideas.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendleg, I am here. Just starting to catch my breath after the festive season. – My work schedules are the other way round to other people, so a busy time has just come to an end with the last of the groups checking out of the holiday let on Sunday. Now its time to close for a couple of weeks, systematically push all the furniture around in each room while I wash down all the walls and ceilings and redecorate / re varnish the floors.

After 2 plus years on the forum, I felt it was best to climb onto my soap box about not measuring progress via the scales as part of greeting newcomers, rather than leaving it until the day when “disaster – please tell me what I am doing wrong” messages start in this cycle of the forum.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all, can I join in?
    I’m a returner to this forum, I joined in Jan 2018 but sadly lost my way but I’m trying again and would love support from the lovely people here – and hopefully provide some support for others. It is lovely to see some familiar names posting here 🙂
    I’ve had a complicated journey – I first did the BSD in 2017 on my own and managed to lose about 2.5 stones. I then spent the rest of the year putting the weight all back on. I started again in 2018 and lost just short of 3 stones – I lost my mojo and then fell ill. I spent the end of 2018 and most of 2019 hiding from the world! But at the end of last year I had a real wake up call in my annual diabetes check-up, high bg reading, fatty liver and first signs of kidney disease. I have started taking medication for my diabetes which has horrible side-effects and I hate. My goal here is to get my bg under control so that I can come off the medication – and of course that goes hand in hand with the weight loss. I know this woe works, I need to work on sustaining it.
    My starting weight on 1 Jan was 16 st 5. Yesterday it was 16 st 1.5 lbs. Fasting bg on 1 Jan 10.2, yesterday 9.1. I weigh myself weekly as I agree with JGwen’s wise advice that it is too easy to get hung up on the scales and our bodies fluctuate so much day to day. In 2018 I weighed 17 st 13lbs so I managed to lose a bit of weight over the year so my starting weight is a bit lower than it was before.
    Good luck everyone – I look forward to hearing how you’re getting on and sharing my own progress
    KOKO

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Gattina and thank you for sharing your BSD history. Really hope that you will achieve your aims, you certainly have the tools to get there and we will all be here to encourage, advice, support and join in the celebrations as appropriate.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone,thanks for warm welcome x hope all having a good day
    VERANO and SUNNYB,lovely to see you both again! Any idea if greenjanet,frog,mixnmatch,izzy,captainlynne ( to name just a few) are stlill here?
    BUTTER, i too am feeling motivated on my first day! Fasting so far. Got dragged into italian bakery by friend who bought gorgeous bread and cakes..they left me cold.Ditto in pie shop! The thought of clothes slipping back on easily seems more appealing!
    Im sipping white mint bark tea which tastes lovely
    Onwards and downwards! 💕💕💕
    Positive quote for today…Nelson Mandela…
    The greatest glory in living is not in falling, but in rising every time we falL Yayyyy! 👍🏻👍🏻 👍🏻

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Yowser, sadly many of the old names no longer post, we still see mixnmatch and izzy occasionally and I think frog popped in a little while back too. Maybe some of them will be inspired to look us up, now that we have been graced with a new year and a new decade.

Good to see so much positivity here and like you I have been having a good day. Stretched the overnight fast to 20hrs, was quite hungry then so decided to have something light – cauli and celeriac rice with ground coriander, turmeric, mustard seed and a few crushed curry leaves. At this moment, post main meal, I am at 521 cals and 18.56 carbs and only plan to have decaf coffee/tea with almond milk for the rest of the evening, so the cals will go up a little but the carbs will remain as is.

To follow your suit Yowser, I would also like to offer an inspirational quote, this one from my copy of The Ways of Wisdom:
    ‘If we think defeat, this is what we will get. If we are undecided, nothing will happen to us. We must just pick something great to do and do it.’ ….. Maharishi Mahesh, Yogi …. 1917

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thank you,and I love that quote SUNNYB! X
    And is the cauli/ celeriac rice etc yr own creation? It sounds fab,will see if its in recipe section
    V v well done on yr excellent day!
    I do hope the new decade brings some oldies and more and more newbies,,I am loving the good vibes here 🌟🌟🌟🌟

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well, I’m not aware anyone else has tried ricing celeriac, Yowser, but that’s not to say they haven’t. Certainly the spice additions were of my own selection. I’m particularly fond of ground coriander at the moment, so find an excuse to add it to things as often as I can.

You are right about the vibes here, they seem to be especially vibrant at the moment – think everyone seems to be really energised by the start of the year. Long may it continue!

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Hi all! I started today!
    I’ve already posted on the January thread, but would like to join this one too.
    Good luck everyone!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! yes, I love the energy of the forum too and the sense that we want to make the most of this time to recharge and work towards feeling really good about ourselves !

I am keeping things pretty simple at the moment.I have developed an obsession with fresh crunchy lettuce ( I know… I am weird !!) and I have just stocked up from the farm shop up the road which makes me very happy !! Pan fried salmon, a bit of fermented veg ( like sauerkraut but red cabbage and radish and beetroot too) That’s me sorted !

I am keeping away from cream but still allow myself a pot of Greek yoghurt and my dark choc when I have a strong coffee. Still writing everything in my notebook.

KazzUk recommended an app called ZERO which is really simple to use and quite motivating for intermittent or extended fasting. You can choose the length of your fast and see the clock ticking down 😉

Keep going everyone

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi WENDLEG! Thank you for starting this thread! And thanks for the heads up about the Zero app 👍🏻👍🏻
    One question…last time i low carb’d I found having full fat greek yog v useful for keeping me on track
    Nowadays,its v difficult to locate it..in the UK anyway..
    Tesco no longer stock full fat…some Tezz branches have their own brand ff,but not many..and no Fage ff..
    Aldi did a delicious full fat greek yog but again,is now difficult to find it 🙁🙁🙁
    Does anybody know why it seems to be scarce and so rarely seen on the supermarket shelves these days? X

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Gattina ! I too started at at over 16 stone although I fortunately avoided major health issues. I am sorry you have had such a tough time and you are so right to take control now after the recent setbacks .
    I hope sunshinegirl will pop in and share her experience about managing diabètes. She has done really well.

Another Sunny member !! Hi and welcome SunnySideUp !

Good to see you JGwen ! It doesn’t sound as if you will get much rest preparing your property lets after the festive season ! At least you won’t have guests leaving carby temptations all over the place !! We always value your experience and research on the thread . I have learnt so much from you , thank you xx

Keep posting everyone and this friendly space is open to anyone who is hesistating …just jump right in !

Amz ? Scottishgal ? Merry ? Busybee ?
    Where is Californiagirl now ? Back in the US ?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yowzer….we buy our Greek yoghurt from Lidl. I am in France but I saw it in the Uk too . Maybe it is Greek style rather than authentic Greek yoghurt ? The one I get here has about 4g carbs for an individual pot.I dare not buy the big tubs as portion control is tricky !! I put a few cacao nibs in it for crunch and chia seeds for fibre. I have Lidl frozen berries which I have occasionally too.
    I think I saw Greek yoghurt in Sainsbury’s too….when I was buying my wicked extra thick cream !!!!
    I just check the carb values on dairy and avoid any sweet additives, artificial flavours and other yucky stuff.

• posted by Tili
    on

Hi Wendy,
    I am starting my challenge to lose 2 stone today. I thought that I would follow this diet and after reading the encouraging comments on this thread, I wondered whether I too could join this group?
    Many thanks

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Thank you for the inspirational post(s). I am with everyone. I have a long journey ahead of me and look forward to reading all the posts and contributing now and then.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Course you can join in Tili, welcome ! Shout out if you need any help starting out. Yes, it is a long journey Riccoh but a very very worthwhile long term/life time change and we are doing this for our health. What could be more important ?

I have to go to bed now ready for my early morning start but I will be back tomorrow xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Dear WENDLEG,goodnight and sweet-dreams

“Maybe it is Greek style rather than authentic Greek yoghurt ?”
    Did you mean the Lidl Yog IS authentic greek?
    I love only authentic greek yog,I dont like greek style,or any other yogs,and I too need to keep an eye on portion control!
    If Lidl have individual pots of it,yipppee! 🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉
    I don’t have a local Lidl at the moment but one is coming later this year..in the meantime,will travel to my closest one.
    Hadnt thought of including cacao nibs or chia seeds….usually I just add berries or some flaked almonds,so will deffo ring the changes in this new year,new decade ! X

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi 6T
    Thanks for the compliment, you are doing really well too.
    I think the most important thing to maintenance is healing the damage done by the high sugar high fat diet we have endured for decades.

For me, this WOE has been pretty smooth and my observation has been I started with certain advantages.

First, I love cooking, and always could afford good ingredients and the time to prepare meals.
    Second, before I could be medicated for diabetes I changed my diet to low carb.
    Third, I was in fear and denial of being overweight. This meant I didn’t diet just slowly got bigger. My bmi was 30 this time last year, today it’s 24.

I now have good habits like ff Greek yoghurt and cauliflower with everything.

I measure my belly hips and chest once a week as well as weight.

When I see an increase in my belly and thighs I have no bread or potatoes for a few days or a short fast and that’s enough to correct this.

In fact weight is not the focus as I am gently reducing my belly fat since entering maintenance in July last year.

My ankles used to be puffy, seemed to be impossible to change. After six months of shifting towards low carb, my legs are slimmer and my ankle bones are evident. This is the aspect of body change that I love most.

I’m going for my hba1c in soon so I hope that will be ok.

Wendy, the New Year is a great time for addressing food and exercise habits- I am enjoying the forum lately. I’m in the healthy range of weight but I’d like to reduce the size of my belly

I’m reporting all my food in FatSecret keeping to 800-1200 calories per day. It definitely helps me plan better.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Patricia – just read this and had to jump on because I agree with you so much. There are so many physically changes that have been brilliant for me, but like you the one I love the most are my slim ankles. They’re beautiful, aren’t they. xx

Hope everyone has a great week.
    Jennie xx

• posted by SlimmyKim
    on

Well, I’ve finished my first week today and I’m pretty pleased with myself. I’ve tried to stick to my daily 800 calories and haven’t really been tempted-I’m very determined. I’m sure one reason for this is the general positive vibe on this thread. Others’ success is very motivating!
    Patricia1066 my BMI is similar to your starting point and I’m looking forward to it being as yours!

The changes I’ve noticed this week are a general feeling to lightness-both physically and mentally. Despite having a stinking cold and a hacking cough, I feel positive about the changes I’m making to improve my health-even the dry January!

WK1: lost 6lbs

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone! Good to see such a lively thread.
    Wendy please keep you old journal. A bizarre thing happened to me way back. I was doing really well and feeling good in myself so, being a lover of pristine pages, I bought a new journal. Everything went downhill from there on in! I have no idea why but please hold onto your ‘daydream’ just in case it happens to you too!
    6T I have totally forgotten about my little notebook. I think I need to get back to tracking full stop!
    Hi Yowzer! I don’t have a problem getting Fage (Total) all the supermarkets stock it. Not sure if you know but they changed the labelling a while back and the full fat is now labelled ‘5%’ fat. Hope you find it.
    Hello Elky and all our new comers.
    I have struggled since the start of the year. I’m not sure why but I would really appreciate any ideas to get me back on track. Just seem to have lost my mojo at the moment.
    Anyway, hope Wednesday is a good day for everyone

• posted by peachcake4me
    on

Hello All,

So I lost 3st 5lb last year with the 800 calorie diet put have put 2lb on over Christmas (got away lightly)!

I still have a stone to lose though but I’m really struggling with getting back to eating just 800 calories again. I’m saintly during the day and then blow it all in the evening eating pure rubbish!! It’s so frustrating!! Does anyone else do this? Does anyone have any tips?

Many thanks & Happy New Year 🥳 fellow BSD Buddies xxx

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning lovely people – hope everyone is well.
    I had an unpleasant night from a mixture of side effects from the Metformin I’m taking and change of diet – I spent a lot of time in the loo (without going into detail…) The good news is that my stomach was empty this morning and my blood glucose had gone down to 6.7 …every cloud has a silver lining…
    Thank you for your posts wendleg and SunnyB 🙂
    Ricocoh – this is a long journey for me too and as Wendleg says it is life changing. So many people in this forum have done so well and are maintaining so I look forward to us being in that place
    Peachcake – I know exactly what you mean by pigging out in the evening, I do that all the time. I’m trying to keep myself busy in the evenings to avoid that sit down time in front of the tv which is when I usually start to snack/binge. I’ve signed up for an evening class, I’m going to the leisure centre and just doing jobs around the house to stop me from thinking about food.
    Good luck everyone

Please log in or register to post a reply.