New type 2 diabetic – devasted!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ohmy
    on

I am a 60 year old Australian woman, fair hair, skin and blue eyes. At just 162 cms tall, I think I weighed about 95kgs ( would never go near scales!), my BMI is 34.6 – severely obese category. Whamo! 5 weeks ago, diagnosis – type 2 diabetes – fasting reading 9.3. Totally devasted, ashamed and probably saw it coming, but chose to ignore it. Total sweetooth, carb freak, overeater. A week after diagnosis, I went low, only good carbs, so in 4 weeks, with some bust outs have managed to lose approx 10 kgs( no scales until recently). Didn’t start testing blood glucose until a week ago and was initially gob smacked! First reading an hour and a half or so after food ( with too many carbs) – 7.2, some hours later – didn’t have an evening meal – was too replete – 6.3. I thought this is fantastic!! Fasting morning reading – 5.6. Wow!!! Never been good since. Bought the book, reading it and getting prepared to do the diet after I see doc in 3 days. Also have been all over the net, re anything type 2 diabetes (diabesity).
    Have been very controlled with diet – a few little bust outs and fasting readings are 9.3 and up to 9.6. Am disappointed and confused – thought it would be getting better! I have to say have not got into an exercise pattern and have been quite random. Plan to address this from the coming week on. My big readings are as I said – disappointing, I want to reverse this cursed disease and live without complications – for my children and grandchildren. Before I have to tell them I have the disease I want it gone!!!
    Any clues, suggestions, any, any ideas anyone?!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hello Ohmy

I hope you do not get discouraged. I am older than you and Australian also, but not diabetic. I lost many kilos following this basic plan which is very effective, and many people on this forum have improved or reversed their diabetes. If you start to follow it fairly strictly I am sure you will improve your readings.

Trawl through the forum and you will find lots of stuff from diabetics about blood sugar readings . You may have to cut out even the good carbs for a while very strictly. I am not qualified to advise you but I think you will find much encouragement from others on this forum, and when they get up on the other side of the world you will probably be pointed in the right direction.

Read through some of the success stories and don’t get depressed. You can succeed. Just look at Michael. He was not even fat, just pre-diabetic
    Ruth

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Ohmy
    If it’s your fasting readings that have gone up there is a lot of info on this forum about what is known as the Dawn Phenomenon. Quite a few people have experienced this issue. If you type dawn phenomenon or liver dump into the search box at the top right of this page you will find an explanation of what is happening and what to do about it.
    I’m relatively newly diagnosed myself so don’t feel knowledgeable or experienced enough to offer advice about this, but there are others on here who will be able to help.

What I can say from my own experience and reading about others’ experience is that BSD does work. Keep going.
    Take care
    Marie x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Ohmy – Very good advice from Ruthdownunder.

I have copied a previous post from Sunshine-girl which explains what is happening really well –

“when you are on a strict diet your body thinks you are going hungry (it might be right) and during the night especially, if you have had nothing since tea / dinner your liver starts to pump out glycogen (sugar) to stop you from starving. If you have a small snack (BSD friendly of course) before you go to bed you will let your liver know you don’t need that sugar rush. Try a slice of chicken or ham or a small piece of cheese or some yoghurt and berries. That should sort you out although don’t worry if you get a spike now and then, our bodies are very complex and don’t always do what we expect.”

I have T2D but didn’t get the Dawn Phenomenon. I do, however, have to limit even the good carbs to keep blood sugars low – but that is not the same for everyone. The BSD is brilliant – it really works and the support you get on this forum is phenomenal.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Ohmy,

I thought I’d add in a bit more information which I hope might help.

I’m 62 (just!), and 5ft 2ins (157.5 cms). At my heaviest I was 14 stone 4lbs (90.7 kilograms), my BMI was 36.5. I was diagnosed with diabetes 12 weeks ago. My hba1c result was 106 – having now seen the charts I can see that is high. I suspect from this that I probably had diabetes for quite a while before my diagnosis. I started cutting the obvious carbs straight away, quickly got the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book and have been following it pretty well (with 1 bust out) for almost 11 weeks now. So, we’re not too dissimilar.

I only started testing my blood sugar levels 2 weeks in. My readings in the first few days included 8.7, 9.7, 8.8; yesterday and today my readings have been e.g. 5.7, 5.4, 4.7, 4.2, 4.1 – they are generally in the 4,s and 5’s with the odd 6’s. As KrysiaD says, the BSD is brilliant – it really does work. You only need to read KyrisaD’s profile to see that! It’s not always a straight road, but my goodness it’s worth it.
    By the way, a loss of approx. 10kgs is brilliant.

Take care – and be gentle with yourself!

Marie x

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Thank you for your reply Marie. Will admit I got quite emotional re actually getting replies and also the sentiment. I feel humbled. We are quite similar for sure. Thank you for the encouragement and the vote of confidence re weight loss. From these replies I learned there is the Dawn Phenomenum- thanks. My fasting period has been big and I get that my liver is behaving in that way, however I will look up the details.
    Your readings are soo good, Marie you must feel very pleased. I would like to now about you and exercise. As we are both ” nuggets”, you are probably in the same boat as me regarding exercise. Do you have any tips? I will try and be less hard on myself!!
    Ohmy x (Donna)

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Thanks Ruth for your reply. I feel I have been very restrictive with the amount I have been eating, generally. So good carbs I have even been restricting of course. So I am new to all this and yes – just look at Michael! What about you and exercise? Any tips there? Many thanks.

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Thanks for your reply KrysiaD. Much appreciated, understanding the concept behind this phenomenum, will delve more on the topic. Really interested in exercise tips. Also, have never enjoyed breakfast, and since going low carb have been having almond milk with half a pear, or some berries and a small amount of natural yoghurt as a smoothie. Does this suffice on the BSD? What do you know? Will also throw this out to the public. So many posts to trawl through, I am guessing yours is a real success story too. Worry that I won’t be one of the 87% who reverse the dogged ailment.
    Regards
    Ohmy (Donna)

on

Dear Ohmy

Such early days for you, you are doing very well.

I do not think you need to have breakfast if you would rather not. Have early lunch and dinner as long as the blood sugar is OK . Many many people on these forums have yoghurt and berries for brekkie all the time, so maybe you could just have a little for the blood sugar levels (full fat of course)

I would not start any big new exercise routine just now, just try and do a little walking, or swimming, or whatever you like to do at this time of year.

10kg is a fantastic achievement by the way in a short time. You will be fine, and remember 87% is a very large percentage and the sooner you start after diagnosis seems to be better.

KrysiaD is inspirational and Marie123 is also, and you will find lots of wonderful help on these forums. Don’t be hard on yourself

Ruth

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Thanks Ruth,
    I presume you would agree to my smoothie with its bit of fruit, full fat yoghurt on almond milk – virtually no carbs, not much fat and only 40 cals/250ml. Am I on the right track, it fills me up nicely? Also I do not have time before work to get anymore involved in my sustenance. AND if the blood sugar is not okay (what do you call okay?) – what?
    Donna

on

Donna it sounds perfect, but as for the blood sugar I would just not worry too much for a few weeks. A lot of people have posted much wise stuff on here. SunshineGirl is worth looking up. I have not been on here for a long time, but there are probably newer starters with good news stories also. Marie123 ( you are going great girlfriend) is doing well with BS readings as well as weight

I seem to remember quite a few people saying their BS went up again after a few weeks and then down again, and I remember reading a lot of posts about the dawn phenomenon – glossed over it a bit as I was not diabetic just very fat!

Don’t worry about fat as long as it is the good kind. You won’t get too much on 800 calories, with enough protein and starchy veg first.

I am on the GC – we had a monster storm this morning and had to close down the computers. It seems to have gone now. time to walk the dogs

Ruth

• posted by Ohmy
    on

I have just finished the book and think to myself. This is kind of what I do – protein, eggs, fish – salad, thoughtful veg as far as carbs go. Would say I am not necessarily under 800 cals a day but not heaps of calories. But not necessarily with the Med twist. Little bit of yoghurt – more cheese than the BSD talks about, olive oil, few nuts. I make eggy, cheesy,bacon muffins with milk and cream – eat them with salad. I am wondering about this Mediterranean twist – would it work otherwise – with different good veg in there and less pulses. Could it stick to the calorie count and be a bit variable. I will never eat those brekkies – I would if someone cooked them for me and I had them for brunch! From looking at the program it seems red meat is less favourable. I am a solo eater and I just wonder.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Ohmy. Just to throw a spanner in the works I’m not a huge believer in finger prick testing unless you are taking insulin when it becomes essential. Blood sugar is affected by so many things that the results can sometimes be too random to be of great use. The most reliable test is the HbA1c. So maybe just relax a little about your readings.

I remember my emotions when I was diagnosed as T2 about 7 or 8 years ago. I was all over the place. So don’t worry you will get everything into proportion in a few weeks.

This way of eating works! My diabetes is in remission at the moment and I no longer take medication. I am just one of many who successfully control their diabetes and you will find many stories on these threads. So the first thing I would say to you is take heart and don’t panic.

I think most people agree that carbs are the enemy of those of us with diabetes. Try initially just to cut back on carbs keeping them under 50g a day to start would be good. Find an app or website such as Fatsecret.com or .co.uk or myfitnesspal, which is a bit more fiddly. Weight everything and log it in you chosen ‘diary’. You will be amazed at some of the high carb foods that we thought were just fine. An apple for example can have 19g of carbs, a huge amount out of 50g but many people here aim for 20g a day!

When it comes to exercise take it slowly as already suggested walking or swimming are great. I have lost over 60lbs without exercise as I have mobility issues so you can lose weight by diet alone. Obviously it’s healthy to exercise but it can be done with very little.

Deep breath, one day at a time and you will control your diabetes if you follow the plan. Best of luck on your journey.

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Thanks for your response Verano. Emotions are all over the shop with me. But will beat this if it is the last thing I do. Decided this morning I was not going to test the blood anymore, as it is further disappointing me and so variable. Am off to see the doctor tomorrow for a diabetic plan and I want to talk to her and Doc Mosely and the success stories I have learned about through this site. She did say to me at the onset – T2 cannot be cured. I wonder about the prescriptiveness of the Med diet and the possibility of using it as a framework but with variables – as long as you stick to the principles and the 800 calorie cap. What do you think? Any experience. Does anyone have anything to add about their workings of the regimen.
    Will soldier on and get organised for a start next week. Ooooo!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m not sure whether or not you can ‘cure’ diabetes. So when our blood sugar becomes normal following this way if eating some say they are in remission others use similar expressions. I have stopped taking metformin and there are others that are also medication free eating this way. The one aspect I can’t help you with is the long term outcomes. Some people may start eating carbs again and/or regain weight but nobody has posted to say that their diabetes has ‘returned’.

Prof Taylor is due to report on the findings of his current research in December so we all await that with bated breath. As you have just been diagnosed your doctor should be quite happy to allow you 3 months medication free to bring your blood sugar down. You may be given the outdated advice of eating (bad) carbs with every meal but there is no reason for you not to try this plan instead.

One thing I would add is to re-read the book. I know you have just read it but it’s amazing what you miss first time around. Many of us read the book over and over for reaffirmation when we are struggling. Believe me lots of us do struggle at times but these boards are so useful then. Look up some of the success stories on here. Just type ‘success’ into the search box on the top right of this page

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Good to read from you Verano. Yes wrong terminology from me regarding ‘cure’. But. I know the doc would not be up to speed on Dr Mosely’s work and the concept of remission. I am reading the book again, sound advice, as soon as I finished it I wished there was more. All things point to are carb reduced existence hence forth, and I would not want to push the envelope, once success was achieved with normal blood sugars, regarding diet. I admit I am a bit worried, that I haven’t done enough after 3 months and the doc will put me on meds and how does that work to get off them. I mean good Bg readings from the traditional point of view would be as a result of the drug, not the way of eating. As you said the advice of eating (bad) carbs at every meal would be in the mix.
    What did you think of my questioning, remaining in the framework, principles and calories of the BSD yet, making it flexible to suit my budget, time, palette and prep for one? These boards are something I have been looking at everyday, still reeling from diagnosis and finding them very comforting.so happy to get replies and pearls of wisdom, whenever and realise one is certainly not alone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Ohmy – I think quite a lot of us stick to the BSD principles but tailor it to suit our budget, time, palette etc. Of course I have found over time that my palette has changed. I was never very keen on fish – but then Verano set us a 4 week challenge to eat more fish and I was really surprised to find that I love fish and now eat it several times a week.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Ohmy (Donna)
    Have just got back online (I’m not on every day).
    Yes, you can definitely do BSD using your own meals as long as you stay within the BSD principles, calories and keep your carbs low, as you say. That’s what I did and many other people on here have also done. I started by trying to follow the weekly meal planner in the book but, while I enjoyed the meals, I had a problem with the amount of time some took to prepare and I also ended up with lots of left-overs, etc. So, after a couple of weeks I just started cooking my own food. As Verano mentioned, do weigh all your food and use one of the on-line apps to record exactly what you’ve eaten so you can see how many cals, carbs, proteins etc you’re consuming – I use Fatsecret (don’t know if there is a more popular one used in Australia). It’s also useful to help you to pre- plan meals so you’ll know you’ll be eating within your calories and carbs, etc – and you can plan your shopping list.

As far as exercise, I’m a complete novice.
    I’ve bought a pedometer and started walking. I’ve tried to walk every day – building up my steps – and mostly now I manage 10,000 steps in either one long walk or two short walks. Sometimes I almost have to throw myself out of the front door to do it. There are days when my feet or knees hurt a bit and I don’t go, or do a smaller walk. But, even though it’s only a few weeks I do feel much better for it.

At my first appointment with the dietician last week she mentioned an exercise on prescription programme run by NHS and leisure centres, where, if you are newly diagnosed with diabetes (or some other conditions) you can be referred into a 12-week programme at a local leisure centre. You see an advisor/trainer and then try out different types of activity, gym, swimming, Pilates, etc.
    It’s a national programme so I wondered if they might have something similar operating in Australia where you live. (My observation is that Australia is often ahead of the game on these things.) There is a small fee but the programme is subsidised so it shouldn’t be too much. I’m planning on learning to do some of the exercises recommended by MM in the book while I have a trainer to help (then probably do at home), and also try to see if there’s anything I’d enjoy and so keep up after the 12 weeks e.g. some kind of dance exercise.

Having read quite a few posts on here, I think some people use Exercise DVD’s or Youtube at home.

Sorry, it’s a bit long-winded, but hope this helps. You take care. Marie x

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Great to here that from you KrysiaD! I really hoped it would work like that!! I already very much enjoy fish, so that will be a fine staple. Good on Verano – you and her seem wise in all things T2 and BSD – pleased to have discovered you both. Thanks

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Hi Marie123
    You sound like a lovely person and thank you for your replies. I am planning to start the program tomorrow, though am not as organised as I would like – but that’s not my thing, I tend to wing things and they work out – then my proficiency at things gets better, because of the necessity. Time will never be a luxury on my side!!! I have put fat secret on my iPad, so that looks pretty good. I have a good grasp of carbs from previous dabbles in Atkins and Banting diets – so that is one less confusing aspect. Need to be mindful of overdoing the fat as those 2 mentioned plans are fairly free with that – And after all we are talking calories with the BSD.
    Was wondering if I want to incorporate a commercial shake, what if you know is an appropriate one. Years ago I had a good low carb one which they don’t seem to make anymore. I presume the recipes, when they say 420 cals, serves 4 – that means that amount of calories per serve? Is that how it is? Not calories divided by 4 – then they would be super low cals. All so much to get a hold on. Guess practice will make perfect.
    As I live in rural NSW and my close town is very small and 18ks from me – there is no gym!! Would have to drive an hour to access one an am not doing that. Will just have to pull my finger out and move more!!!
    How are you going with your weight loss and BG readings? I haven’t been doing BG readings – too depressing – will start with a measure of all things in the morning. Have had a couple of blow outs and didn’t beat myself up, just got back on carb correct track. I re- read Michael’s book and my sister as got me a recipe book for $10 from Wollongong – very cheap for these books. Verano suggested I re- read. She is very wise all things BSD.
    Wishing you a good journey continuing. Let me know how you are going.
    Donna xxx

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Hi
    Just a little confused with Fatsecret, which I put on my IPad- attempting to keep the meals I have eaten on there – look up the food and add the food in the quantity given, however, I have not used that quantity I want to add in less. Do you get my drift and can you solve this for me. I don’t have a smartphone. Suppose that is a side issue!! Read some interesting posts from you Marie and you a real success story – wonderful!!! Your journey is very positive and inspiring
    Donnaxxxxxxx give me some news!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi if you just ‘tap’ on the number of grams on the left hand side, usually 100g it will turn luminous green and you can change it on a drop down menu. You can also often change cups, portions etc into grams as well. Hope that works for you. If you want to add a recipe then you need to go into cookbook.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,
    I’m dashing out to the shops. I’ve got to get some stuff to wear for tomorrow as I’m starting my Exercise on Prescription programme – I have NO IDEA what you wear in a gym or exercise class!

Yes, you’re right the calories in the recipes are per serve. Also, on Fatsecret, sometimes when I click on the weight e.g. 100g it doesn’t give me a drop down menu so I go to the next version of that food, or the next, until it does. Alternatively, you can use MyFitnessPal – many on here do.

Fingers crossed for a great first day for you – xx xx. I’ll check in tonight and give you an update.

Isn’t it fantastic that people can ‘talk’ to each other over so many thousands of miles.

Marie X

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,

So how was your first day. Hope you smashed it. It’ll take a while to settle in but you sound like you’re on it!

You were asking earlier about commercial shakes. I think Roy Taylor has people using the Cambridge Diet meal replacements in his latest research trials of the Newcastle diet. I think on the original trials he had people use Optifast (not 100% on this). But I also saw him giving a lecture on YouTube where he was asked what type of meal replacement would be best and he said any reputable meal replacement shakes should be OK. I guess it’s about checking levels of nutrients in them and sugar levels maybe. I haven’t used them so someone else might know more – might be worth posting the question.

On another post you mentioned being worried this might not work for You. That struck a chord! I suspect pretty much all of us trying to manage our diabetes with this way of eating starts off thinking the same. It might work for everyone else but maybe not me. I definitely thought that. (To be honest, I can still feel myself quietly holding my breath in waiting to see what happens next). But, it will work for you, I promise.

I’m still doing good at the moment. I finish Week 12 tomorrow. In the 12 weeks I’ve lost 29lbs (13kgs) but including my pre-BSD weight loss (I was on a diet before I found out I was diabetic in August) I’ve lost 46lbs (20.8kgs). I’ve lost much quicker on the BSD!

My blood sugars (what it’s all about, of course) are still good – mostly in the 4’s and 5’s, the odd 6 – and a couple of spikes at 7+. So, I’m fairly happy with them. However, I’ve got to arrange to get my first Hba1c blood test since diagnosis in the next couple of weeks – that will be the true test!

Great that you’ve started, Donna – keep going, you can do it!
    Marie x

• posted by Ohmy
    on

How gorgeous Marie123!! You give me faith in myself! Yep I think I am on it also – day 2 done and dusted!!! Yay!! I have consumed less calories and admit I am not hungry, but truth be known would desire all the wrong things, cause that has been my norm. But that is not hunger driven.
    Shakes I am supposing must be low carb as most I research are high in carbs – not desireable, I am thinking. I shall look up Optifast and the other you mentioned. My almond milk shake I think does the trick. Just thinking for a bit of variety.
    Yep, we probably all feel like the BSD will fail our expectations and be the one it doesn’t happen for. Guess I am not unusually all doom and gloom! And I have always been such an advocate of positive thinking. Gotta practice what I preach. And – your weight loss is awesome – that must be about 3 sizes? How much more is coming off?
    Are you on meds Marie? Bgs sound fantastic – oh thank you Michael and Roy!!! I hope the big test is brilliant. Do you ever bust out, even a tiny bit?
    What about the exercise class, did you get the right gear to wear and did you smash the routine! Lol.
    Wonder what happened to Panda bear – she sounded very down to earth and funny!
    I have lit my fire, it is very chilly here and I do love a fire. Keep me posted Marie ( are you still in the workforce?)
    Donnaxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,
    Yes, got a LONG top and some (not sure what they are called? for my legs) yesterday.
    Got back from doing the Pilates and exercise class around mid-day here. Hmm, not sure ‘smashed it’ would be quite how I’d describe it – but I did them and the woman leading the classes was very welcoming. I spoke to a few people so that was nice. I’ll definitely do the Pilates again – mostly because it was slow movements! I’m working tomorrow and away at a family wedding from Thursday so my next go will be on Monday with the gym equipment itself.

I do work, but only one day a week now – the day varies – for a charity that works with people with learning disabilities. I used to work in the NHS but took redundancy a couple of years ago. (Of course that makes doing all these things that much easier). How about yourself?

I reckon in terms of weight loss I’ve gone from a UK size 20 to size 16 – only realised I can get into some size 16’s yesterday! I’m 11 stone now and my goal is to get to the top of the healthy BMI range – for me that’s 9st 11lb. After that I’ll see where in that range I feel most comfortable – but I’ll definitely try to go a bit lower, maybe 9 stone. When I went for my induction into this exercise programme I had a body scan. That showed the level of visceral fat in my body, and as the guy said, you won’t be getting rid of that in 12 weeks! So I’m here for a while yet.

I’m not on meds. I was given Metformin to take but decided not to take them and give this diet a go first. That’s why I’ve tried hard not to break out of the diet – so I can get a good result on this HBa1c. There’s probably only one time I’ve knowingly eaten the wrong thing, but I’ve sometimes struggled with portion sizes. A good tip – I read on here somebody saying if you need to break out temporarily it is better to eat the wrong amount of calories than the wrong types of food. I’ve found that really helpful!

Well, enough of me going on. It’s a great start for you. By the way there is a new 4 week challenge starting today – Remember, remember, low carbs for November – you might have seen the thread – everyone is welcome – it might be worth you coming on board.

Take care
    Marie xx
    n.b. Panda Bear usually updates on how she’s doing on a weekend, but you could check in with her on her post, Panda Bear is Out of the Woods – great title!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,
    Just in case you miss it – Panda Bear’s posted today and she’s doing really well. I’m away for a few days from tomorrow for a family wedding. Hope things are going OK with you – speak to you next week.
    Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,
    Just thought I’d check in to say Hi and to see how you are doing.

Well, I managed to stick to plan during my visit home to Liverpool for my niece’s wedding. No potatoes or pudding, 1 glass of wine and soda at the reception – brilliant. Then, got home on Sunday evening, we decided on a takeaway as there was no food in the house (or I couldn’t be bothered cooking) I only had chicken tikka (dry meat dish)with salad, but had 2 pots of the sauce with it – and sent my bgl readings shooting up to 8! So, when I said earlier that I’d only knowingly eaten something wrong once, make that twice. And you know what, it was the same dish!

So, back to the drawing board for me. I’ve been a bit lazy food-wise recently (also, I’m no cook) and pretty much have just been having protein – mostly meat – and salad or green veg for dinner, (that’s why I fell for the sauce with the takeaway). I need to widen out what I’m eating like I did when I first started BSD, so that’s my goal for the rest of November and December.

How are you doing with food? Are you still doing well? I’d love to hear how things are going.
    Take Care
    Marie x

• posted by Verano
    on

Marie if we have Indian food I always have the same as you, chicken tikka and salad but now I make my own mint and yogurt sauce. A few tablespoons of Greek yogurt, a minced clove of garlic, if liked, some grated cucumber, squeezed out, and some mint. I teaspoon, or to taste, of mint sauce or I keep mint in the freezer but I prefer the sauce, just watch the sugar. Saves lots of carbs, isn’t really ‘cooking’ and you know what’s in it!

• posted by marie123
    on

Oh, thanks for that, Verano. I’ll do that next time. Can I ask do you eat all the chicken tikka or half portion?
    Marie

• posted by marie123
    on

Actually, Verano, ignore that. Stupid question as it depends on how many calories are in it/how many I’ve got left!?!
    I’ve just found it on fatsecret so next time I’ll also weigh it.
    Marie x

• posted by Verano
    on

Marie we all keep learning! It’s amazing how some innocent looking foods are really high carb. I was amazed at tomatoes and apples.

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Hi Marie
    This is the 4th time I have attempted a reply, each time I have written a novella, then whoop – I get kicked out – really peeving me!!
    Glad your trip went well (you didn’t actually say you enjoyed it!) and bummer about the Tikka – sneaky little dish it is – I have made myself what I thought was a Carb friendly butter chick in the past (before launching into the BSD), now I wonder how friendly it really was!!
    My village has hosted the annual Music Festival this weekend and boy oh boy did I certainly know I would be challenged – and I was. So I have had some glasses of bubbly and some unfriendly foods and Bg soars to 8.3 and I haven’t got it down low enough or under control yet anyway. Big regroup for me – feeling very weak and hopeless, will try and get past that and remember I am a mere mortal, with a lifetime of carb addiction under my belt!! Oh bummer!!
    I also overdid the calories a bit on Wed and Thurs last week – nothing major however, bloods were a bit up also. Have decided to leave them alone again and just get back on the wagon and know that if I am doing the right thing all should be well and on the decline.
    How is the exercise plan going – you should end up with the body of a youngster!!! Woohoo!!! Tapped into Panda’s posts and she is doing so very well.
    Looking forward to hearing from you Marie – where in the North of England. My maternal Grandmother was from Kirkby Stephen – Westmorland (think that is Cumbria now?) and maternal great grandmother – Geeze can’t remember – but her dad’s family from Ripon – Dad’s maternal grandfather from Somerset. Lot of Pom in there of course being an Australian – think there is a convict in the Irish link – when I finally can retire am going to get researching ancestry.
    Have a great week, stay away from the Tikka😀😀. I will get back on track. Go get em all
    Donnaxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,

Apologies for not replying earlier. I was just explaining to Panda Bear I had to go over to the North-West unexpectedly at the weekend and didn’t get back until late last night. My uncle had a fall so I went down to help him out – he’s 89 and still lives on his own. He says he’s OK but I think he’s been quite shaken up by it. Anyway, I’m going back over on Saturday and will stay for the week and see how things go.

Isn’t it a real pain when you’ve written something and then it disappears, especially when you’ve written a novella! I know sometimes I’ve done something which causes it, but last week I tried to post something, pressed submit and it just disappeared. I noticed somebody else said the same so I think there must have just been a glitch in the machinery (highly technical term!).

I know Kirkby Stephen well. We live just south of Newcastle upon Tyne in the north-east of England but my husband’s family come from a small village about 20 miles from Kirkby, and it’s also en-route to the north-west where my family live (it’s our stop-off point on the way home). So I’ve been there many times. I also know Ripon, it’s in North Yorkshire which is one of my favourite parts of the UK. I don’t know Somerset as well but I had friends who lived there for a while – so visited a few times. Again, a lovely part of the country. So if your ancestry research involves coming over here you have some great places to visit.

The exercise is going well – better than I expected – and, as you say, I fully expect to emerge with the body of a 19 year old – or I want my money back!

On the Tikka front I’ve had another one – decided to test things out, purely in the interests of science, of course – reduced the portion I ate, made Verano’s yoghurt dip – and hey presto by post-meal bgl went up by 0.4. Don’t plan to have another one for a while but now know how to manage it. So, pleased with that. And, yet again, it’s thanks to Verano (her Pea Soup – in the recipe section – is now one of my go-to soups).

Hope this week is going well for you. I was thinking about you while I was driving home. It must have been such a big shock for you – the diabetes diagnosis, etc. It wasn’t so much for me as I half knew really before I went to the doctor. It’s such early days still so you do right to cut yourself some slack. Just keep on keeping on, as they say, and you’ll be alright!

Take care
    Marie x
    n.b. what a great thing to have an annual Music Festival in your own village.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,

I’m away to see how my uncle is doing and will be staying with him for most of next week. Hope you’re going well. Will catch up with you when I get back.

Take care
    Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Donna,
    Got back at the end of last week but decided to wait until I had the results of my Hba1c test before I posted. Got my 1st results on Monday (gosh, only yesterday) and my blood sugars have dropped back into the normal range. Fantastic. It really has worked. So you do right to keep doing the BSD, not test, and just have faith that the thing works! It will.

Hope you’re still hanging in there. There is a new challenge just started today where everyone will be supporting each other through Christmas.It’s called BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec. It would be great if you joined.

I’ll leave it for now but I’d love to hear from you.
    Take Care
    Marie x

Please log in or register to post a reply.