New to the forum

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by perilous
    on

Hi everyone!
    I’m looking forward to meeting you all and getting some encouragement as I start the Blood Sugar diet. I’ve had the books for some time and used recipes that have given me a new perspective on food – all of a sudden I find I’m loving cooking again, and enjoying the new tastes of herbs and spices. (I brought up my four children – long left home now – on all the traditional recipes, and never experimented with different tastes)
    But I need to now take on the diet seriously, I’m morbidly obese and can’t have my two knee replacements until I lose at least another 16 kgs. The only exercise I’m able to do is at my volunteer job when I’m required to get up and down from my desk and walk with two crutches to take forms etc to different offices. I’m there 40 hours a month and it’s quite stressful at times taking calls and entering details onto a data base, but it love it. My one problem is – I come home from it and relax with a stiff drink or two, and this is my undoing!! I would love to hear from anyone who maybe struggles with similar circumstances, but all replies and encouragement are very welcome. 🤗

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi perilous and welcome to the forums. There are lots of threads you can join for encouragement. There is usually a 4 week challenge and the current one is almost into its last week but join in anyway. Also at the moment there is a ‘one week at a time thread’ with a new one starting on Tuesday so that may be a good place to start as there’s a good mix of new and old BSDers.

Ok now to you physical limitations. I managed quite successfully to lose weight despite being unable to exercise because I too use crutches. So although poor mobility doesn’t help weight loss it doesn’t necessarily have to hinder it. Just take one day at a time and ignore the fast/vast losses some people experience at first. It may, or may not, happen that way for you. But you will lose weight. Stick with the plan, lots of people aim for between 30 and 50g I’d carbs a day at first but most people eventually find their own level that allows weight loss.

Drinking, plenty of water is the way to go. At least 2ltrs a day but that can include milkless teas, such as green tea. Personally I drank ordinary tea with milk and never counted the carbs from the milk. Try not to have a ‘stiff’ drink because it will slow down your weight loss. Depends how much you want those new knees!

Somebody else will come here with more suggestions for you but good luck and enjoy the journey.

• posted by perilous
    on

Thank you very much for your welcome Verano!
    I’m sorry that you too struggle with mobility, but I think that like me, you have chosen to get out there and do something constructive rather than sit at home and be miserable! I welcome any suggestions, and really want to be a part of the BSD community. I’ll follow up on your advice and let you know how I go. A dear friend of mine has just said she’d like to take me to Hawaii again – in only 2 weeks time! I’m going to stick to that 800 calories no matter what!!
    Thanks again Verano 👍

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello there, perilous, and a very warm welcome to you 🙂 This is a marvelous community, and I applaud you for
    deciding to become a part of it! When you speak of morbid obesity and physical limitations, you’re speaking my
    language…In June of 2016 I weighed 285lbs (I’m 5’7″). I couldn’t stand for more than 10 min. at a time without
    terrible muscle spasms in my back. I also suffered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, and lived
    a very marginalized life. It took me 17 years to get to that place. I reversed it in 10 months (lost 140lbs), and added
    8 more lbs lost in maintenance. This way of life (WOL) makes everything and anything possible! We all lose at
    different rates, but my losses were very average, about a stone a month, and I was incapable of doing any exercise.
    Your recovery from knee replacement will be so much less challenging with weight loss, and I’m sure others who
    have gone through the same procedure and rehab will speak to that 🙂 I’ve been maintaining for a year, and physically
    feel like a new woman, 25 years younger, and with more energy than I ever dreamed possible. I invite you to join
    any thread or threads that look interesting to you, and you will be made to feel very welcome 🙂 Looking forward
    to getting to know you!

Very best of luck,

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome perilous — best wishes as you move forward with the BSD!
    The most important advice I have is: just don’t quit. No matter how many times you slip (and most of us do) just start again the very next day. It is staying the course that turns the tide — over time you will LEARN how to do this effectively and you will learn about your own body’s response. Every body is unique and you will find your own sweet spots as you move forward.
    There is research that says that people who struggle with weight often have an “all-or-nothing mindset” and want to do it perfectly or not at all. When they have a bad day, they just blow it all off. It is good to guard against that mindset — being perfect isn’t necessary here. Like all human endeavor, you will get better and better at it as you “practice” it!
    And, my other usual advice, please get a copy of Gary Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It” — it is the perfect companion book to the BSD and it will change your view of carbohydrates forever. I found it to be of huge value in my journey to lose 50 pounds. It is also the cornerstone of my almost two years of maintenance so I strongly recommend it to you (and everyone else who hasn’t read it yet).
    Most of the long term maintainers are also fans of Taubes’ book.
    Julia

• posted by perilous
    on

Thank you so much for your welcome and generous advice Julia. I think I’m at the stage in life (71 years old) that I realise this type of eating has to be a life choice, and as you said, if you slip, you just have to get back up again instead of giving up and thinking you’ll never lose the weight. I want to be around a lot longer for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren!
    I will definitely look for Taubes book – if it has helped you, and other long term maintainers, then I know it will help me.
    Thank you again
    Pauline

• posted by perilous
    on

Hi Allie, and thank you so much for your very warm welcome.. I’m inspired by what you have achieved and can’t wait to get to know you, and others like you, who have responded to my post. You’ve certainly come a long way despite your two very debilitating conditions.i also have fibromyalgia but it doesn’t affect me as much as my severe arthritis, and advanced degenerative disc disease, but despite that, and my age (71) I’ve always felt very young at heart and am hoping that this will motivate me to stay on this weight loss journey.
    It seems that most of you lovely people are from Britain – I left there for Australia almost fifty years ago, and have never stopped missing it. I’ve been back several times but had to cancel my last trip three years ago because the family were so concerned about my health. Maybe with the help of you, Dr Mosleys book, and a lot of will power, I will get back there one day!
    Thank you again,
    Pauline

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello again, Pauline! I can’t endorse californiagirls’s advice enough, as to the advantages of reading Gary Taubes book!
    It was life changing for me, and I was blessed to find it at the start of my journey. Julia and I are actually American,
    but there are many Aussie’s here too 🙂 The community has the globe well covered! You have so many reasons to
    restore your health, and all the tools are available here on the forums to do just that. I’m only 2 years younger than
    you, and the only concession I make to chronological age is to allow my hair to go “au naturale”! People use these
    forums in many different ways, but for a lot of us, it goes far beyond being a support group for weight loss, but in
    all ways has become a support group for life itself. There is a generousity of spirit here, and great wisdom and
    insight. Shout out when and if you need advice, and one of us will come running. These forums are the secret
    weapon we all share, regardless of where we might be on the journey. I’m looking forward to your progress and
    the posting of many positive results!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.