New to Plan. Cheking some things

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by julygirl
    on

I am reading the book with interest and am starting next week.
    There are just a few things I want to make sure my thinking is right.
    I understand I can have any meat or fish. Is that right?
    Also any vegetables and baked beans?
    I only drink skimmed milk and do not like the full fat milk. Is it ok to stay with my skimmed milk?
    I would also like to check if I go for costa coffee (which I love) is this ok as long as it is within my calorie intake.
    Is cottage cheese ok?
    I am also checking about porridge oats. Can I buy the Scotts Porridge Oats or are they not allowed?
    Would be grateful for any feedback.
    With thanks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

meat or fish (incl chicken) yes, but cut any obvious fat off.
    Vegetables, no, you cannot have starchy veg like potato, sweet potato, parsnips, swede or turnip, restrict also celeriac, carrot, beetroot and (for some reason) onions although spring onions or leeks can be used in their place. But I said restrict not forbidden. Click onto a website http://www.dietdoctor.com and search low carb vegetables. You will find you can eat so many like cabbage, cauli, brussels, cucumber, peppers, spinach, avocado, kale, broccoli and on and on. Warning on baked beans, dont eat the Mr 57 types, they are full of sugar and dont buy sugar free either but you can have beans canned in water (or frozen) and lentils but again, check out the carb rating and weigh up whether they are too high or not and how many carbs you are allowing yourself.
    Skimmed milk is fine but has to be counted, both cals and carbs (see above). Almond milk is lower in carbs and delicious.
    As long as you are not having double choccie whatever, never had a Costa coffee in my life so someone else will have to advise. Drink around 2 litres of water a day.
    Cottage cheese is fine, just dont buy LOW FAT, and there are lots of lovely cheeses you can eat.
    Porridge is allowed but you will have to adjust your portion size. I used to have 35 grams before BSD but now it is 25 grams. Also, not too often as with the carb warning for foods as above. Have you thought of having grilled mushrooms with a poached egg. Try lots of different things. I make it a rule to have something different every day if I can (but I dont work so not pushed for time).
    You havent asked about fruit. Generally it is frowned upon due to high sugar content and just look at how many carbs are in an apple. Stay with things like berries. Also include some seeds like chia (for bowel movement) or pumpkin seeds, linseed etc and dont forget you can have a few nuts – again watch the calories there.
    If you are at all concerned and have the book, follow the menu plans in the back as they do most of the hard calculations for you (although not 100% accurate). You might want to research a carb and calorie counting app or website. Lots of advice here on those.

Good luck and dont worry if you have more questions.

• posted by julygirl
    on

Thank you sunshine girl. Very helpful. Good luck to you too.
    Best wishes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.