New Starter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi All. I started the BSD last Sunday after a chat with a nurse I know. I had fine Slimming World very successfully over the previous years and enjoyed eating everyday food, but in the last three years, it’s been a struggle to get rid of the weight and, instead, have seen it creep up further and further. Having read the book, I was both scared about all the fat but excited that there might be help for me after all. Scales showed I have lost 7lbs so far!!! πŸ’ƒπŸ»
    I will be 50 in September and am going to Mauritius- i wish I had found this sooner but am determined to get as much off as possible before I go. The forums are great so will be looking at all the advice.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi, Thinking Thin. That’s a great start!

It does seem strange after all the low fat advice we’ve been getting for years, but as you’ve seen for yourself, those diets often only work short term and then the weight comes back.

There are lots of everyday foods we can enjoy on the BSD, we just need to be a little bit careful and plan in advance, until we get used to this way of eating. Unfortunately many of the easy/quick/readily available foods such as sandwiches, cakes, many takeaways, crisps and biscuits are very high carb, so we have to learn to avoid them and have healthy alternatives to hand.

on

Hi Squidge, I agree about having to really plan. I’ve bought the 15 minute meals book and the BSD recipe book. I’ve got My Fitness Pal app. I’ve increased water and am having more herbal/ green teas but am struggling when I have normal tea and coffee as like the, sweet. I have reduced my sweetners to one and have just reduced the number I have per day. As for the other things you mentioned, I’m just avoiding thinking about them, lol.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I used to drink sweet tea (a long time ago). A friend told me to give it up for a week, then have it without sugar or sweetener when I started again. It worked for me.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Squidge! I think your friend is very clever πŸ™‚ What a great idea!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Thinking Thin, what an enlighted nurse – and well done you for diving in and doing so well. If you can get rid of sweeteners – and you’re obviously doing really well – then you’ll find your tastebuds really come alive. I’ve got some Sainsbury’s marmite lookalike and was amazed to find it now tastes revoltingly sweet.
    On the plus side, cheeses which we are allowed have all sorts of sweet and nutty flavours.
    Double cream is great in coffee and has a natural sweetness – you might find that is helpful.
    With this way of eating you will be eating all those things you thought were forbidden – eating them and losing weight. Can’t be bad!
    Good luck with really getting to grips with it and lucky you having Mauritius as an incentive. πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•
    Maggie

on

I might just have to do it, Squidge.

MaggieBath, you are right about tastebuds, plus I am enjoying strange mixes e.g. avocado and tuna! Would appreciate some advice please, if I have the cream with my coffee, I just have to count the calories? Is that right?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Yes TT, just the calories. It doesn’t provoke an insulin spike so all good! It gets rather nice eating this way because as far as anyone else is concerned you’re eating outrageously fattening food and not putting on an ounce!
    You’ll get there 😊
    Maggie

on

Great, thank you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.