We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MaureenVilla
    on

Hi ..
    I’ve recently started the blood sugar diet .to reverse my diabetes and come off statins..Into week 3 and the first 2 weeks have lost 6 lbs ,,seems to have slowed down in the last week ..just wondering about the recipes in the recipe book ..The pecan chia porridge ..page 36 of the recipe book ..cals 230 serves2 ..if making one portion I’ve been halving the amounts but still 230 cal for serving ? Is this correct ..
    Any tips would be grateful for going forward ..thank you

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Maureen
    Yes that’s correct – the ingredients are for the number of people the recipe serves but the calorie counts given are per person, be cautious using the book calorie counts though – most of us find they are wildly inaccurate and often under what the ACTUAL calorie count is, most of us use a tracking app such as My Fitness Pal, fat secret etc to track calories and macronutrients.

Lauren

• posted by JGwen
    on

As already said the calorie counts are very often out. Fatsecret is another app people use which has the advantage of giving you the figures for carbs minus the fibre so no need to calculate, and it doesn’t nag you about the number of calories eaten.

There is a couple of regular threads on the forum, there is a weekly thread where you will find a mixture of newcomers and those who have been around for a while sharing hints and tips and answering questions. I do recommend that you join it, just look under forums recent topics and you will see the thread with the current date in it. There are not many of us who read all the latest posts on the whole forum.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Maureen, we are the same age and I am T2 with a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. That was until this diet. I just want to say dont be afraid of the full fat products that are recommended in this diet. Things like full fat yoghurt, full fat cheese etc in fact, totally avoid anything that says low fat as it will be chemically modified or have added sugar to bulk it out to replace the fat. If you are not sure, check the ingredients and you will find sugar comes in many disguises and usually to add bulk they use rice flour which you might not think of a sugar but it is. I have just been watching a video by an Australian doctor, Dr Paul Mason, about insulin resistence and low carb diets and he includes talking about fats and cholesterol and triglycerides. It is complicated but it is in fact carbs that cause high cholesterol because of the way the sugars in carbs are stored in the liver and the overspill in the fat molecules. That is also where they are converted to triglycerides which cause fatty liver.

I know this wasnt part of your question but I picked up on you wanting to reduce your statins. When I started I had cholesterol readings of around 8.2, after 6 months at my next test it was down to 6.7. There was no talk of reducing my statins (40mg daily) but I started to get cramps and my doctor stopped them and my cholesterol didnt go up at all, but it didnt go down any more, but then with diet alone I dropped to around 4.8 and my doctor asked me what I ate. When I told him I ate full fat he panicked and started testing me every 3 months when I have my HbA1c done – and 2 years on he still does. I am still not on statins and my cholesterol is around 3.4. BUT just one proviso, when I say I am not on statins, I dont need them but I chose to take a very small amount (5mg) daily as a sort of ‘just in case’ because of the higher risk diabetics have. I have not reversed my diabetes as I have been injecting insulin for 16 years so it is not so easy but I take half the dose I used to and half the amount of other meds. Conclusion, as I said before, fat doesnt cause high cholesterol, carbs do.

Please log in or register to post a reply.