New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hi all.
    I’m back. Have just landed and will report on the damage the Emerald Isle has inflicted over the last 5 days.

Quite frankly, I shall be fine with it. My aunts baked for me (and I coped) I had a few drinks one night (which was inevitable) but they did deal quite well with a non drinking Lee which surprised me….

My cousins ranged from saying “you look fabulous, keep it up” to “are you ill?” “Do you have an eating disorder?” “Eat some bread for goodness sakes”

So, time for a quick, funny story.

I’m 43. Now single after 2 long relationships and content to remain that way. I’m also accepting that my appearance may have changed quite dramatically over recent months but did not expect to “pull” while back home!

Now, my family have a local pub we haunt. We are well known in there, going back to my grandfather in the twenties. I’m also known in there and know a lot of the regulars. On Friday, one regular became rather fixated on me. Why after all these years? Have I really changed that much? Does losing weight really make such a difference or is it (as I suspect) that I’m happier since starting this journey and that makes someone more attractive? Ah well who knows?!!

Anyhow the funny part is, that this guy (I shall call him Barry as that’s his name 🤣) is 24. Yes, that’s right. A full 19 years my junior 😱🤣🤣
    So, I had the opportunity to be a cougar (a la sex in the city) all on the west coast of Ireland! Flattered though I was, I had to play some pretty full on hide and seek to try and get away (and he really was quite persistent!) but I can’t help smiling about the massive ego boost I got! It’s certainly given me a shove to start my next 8 week cycle. I’m back in Galway in 8 weeks and hope to be in an even better place by then. Poor Barry!

Liz, you have my hand, always. I’m thinking of you.

Welcome newbies, sorry I’ve missed you all but come on in and join the tea party. They are an ace bunch!

Will post damage update tomorrow with great relief that I have a bsd friendly shop arriving to rescue me!!

L xxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Thank you for your welcome & understanding Mary , I realise no health benefits gained from drinking wine , certainly a contributor to my weight gain & pre diabetes , & if I don’t change , in the very near future if we don’t part company , I’m not going to be PRE, I’m going to BE Type 2 Diabetic & I really don’t want that to happen with all its nasty possible complications !
    From what I’ve read I’m sure this blood sugar diet is the answer , it’s great to know I’m not going it alone , the support is right here , so with that I’m off to make a pot of tea Mary , look forward to catching up with everyone soon 😊
    Bye for now ,
    from Hello 66

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Welcome Home Lee,

Should I say Grrrrr, you sexy cougar you!…This bloke obviously had good taste…I wouldn’t presume to advise you on this, but you probably did what I would have done. I love it when men are flattering, but it hasn’t happened to me for years and years and years and years.

Today is my weigh day….and having been so strict with myself over calories….and not having a drink for 2 weeks…and doing exercises….guess how much I have lost…..go on guess…..that’s right….ONE FUCKING POUND !

Before anyone says, yes but you have probably lost inches……NO I HAVEN’T! I read the forum and everyone posts their losses and I can say ONE MEASLY FUCKING POUND!

Having had that moan….I am not giving up! I am just a little pissed off about it. I will carry on with the way of life, although it is my grand-daughters first birthday Tea today, so I might just let myself have a sausage roll. I will let you know later.

Keep the faith peeps.

Love Mary xxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Oh Lee, bow chicka wah wah! What a confidence boost. Families can surprise us sometimes so I am pleased they accepted your choices with regards to alcohol.

Mary – Keep on it, stick with it. I am sure you will keep losing. I know it can be disheartening, especially since this WOE is such low calorie and other people have had dramatic weight loss, week after week and the older we get the easier it is to gain and the harder it is to lose. I read the book and all the case studies lost multiple pounds every week, not to mention other members of the forum. I am pleased you are not going to use this as a “fuck it” moment. Eat the sausage meat and not the pastry (easier said than done if it is a warm sausage roll……man I love warm puff pastry, and now I am thinking of a Gregg’s creamy chicken slice!).

Welcome Hello 66. Have you downloaded an app to track calories, etc? I recommend Fat Secret or My Fitness Plan. Both have websites if you don’t want the app. I find it vital to be precise, estimating is not good as I tend to underestimate. 800 calories really makes you think about the food you consume, which I think is part of the idea. Have you bought the book? I got an e-book for less than £3 which is money well spent.

FFBB X

on

Don’t be despondent Mary. That’s how it was for me for about 4 weeks. Then I think that my body got with the plan as well and “let go” I suspect that will be what happens to you, as long as you persevere…

Damage update:
    Just under 3lbs on 😱 I know it could have been so much worse but it’s disheartening nonetheless. I shall be back in Galway on 7th September and I’m determined to be under 10 stone by then. I’ve got time for a full 8 week cycle of bsd, so it’s achievable if I attach myself to the wagon again 😳😇😈

Just waiting for Waitrose to deliver my lovely healthy food. But I may have a pack of stunning Irish sausages to use up first…

Hello 66, you have made the right decision. I wish I had done it years ago and maybe I wouldn’t have ended up as diabetic. Pull up a chair and have a cuppa ☕️

L xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you FFBB and Lee, I don’t understand it and am a little angry, but I am not giving up. Your support is so important.
    Lee….that is a R E S U L T….that could be mainly water! You will be fine, and you had a good time. Well done.

Love Mary
    xxxx

on

Day 18 in the BSD house.

Today I have done my 15 reps with my 3 lb weights. Did 3 circuits of the lifts I do (bicep curls, straight lateral lifts, etc. Is it obvious I don’t know all the names of the exercises?).

I plan on doing strength training one day and light aerobics on the other day. Seemingly this is a good way to do it and I have read I should push the lifting to my limit and then add one more rep.

I have been keeping my veggies chunky as I read somewhere that the more processed a food the quicker the calories are absorbed and the remains pass through the system. So in theory chewing and digesting chunky, less processed food should keep me fuller for longer (and burn more energy?).

On the alcohol front I haven’t been tempted, Fridays and Sundays seem to be my danger days, and I find it tough passing the pub on a sunny day but I am keeping on the wagon.

All the best buddies.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done FFBB for staying on the wagon.. I am finding it tough going at times too and am clinging onto the sides of the wagon like mad….in fact I feel like jumping off. Usually at the weekend, but tonight seems particularly difficult….I think because of the low weight loss this morning. I still haven’t had any though.

There were no sausage rolls today….so I had a burger and a chicken thigh…I passed on the Cava, despite my son-in-law trying to tempt me…he only wanted an excuse to drink and I didn’t give him one!

Highlight of today was when leaving and my one year old granddaughter, leaned towards me and gave me a kiss. So lovely. Then she leaned away towards my husband and I was forgotten, but then he didn’t get a kiss…I did. Yay for me!

Stay well.
    Mary xxx

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hello lovelies. Thanks to all of your positivity, even for some in the face of adversity, I managed to stay on track, be kind to myself, and lose a whopping 7lbs! i have never lost that amount in the first week of a new WOE.
    The biggest message I heard was drink lots and when you are full up, drink more. It has helped me massively as I haven’t found myself searching cupboards for things to eat. Anyone tried apple cider vinegar mixed with fizzy /tonic water? Sounds disgusting but tastes delicious – with added lemon, lime and cucumber. (1tbsp apple cider vinegar: 1 litre fizzy stuff). If it floats your boat, maybe try it?
    So, onwards and upwards.
    To all of you who have faced challenges and resisted this week – you are amazing.
    To anyone who has struggled, tomorrow is another day. Start afresh and believe you can do it.
    Liz, our amazing leader, and literary genius, I do hope that your mum is on the mend and your long journey passed without too many unexpected events (although we all love your daily vignettes about your daily experiences).
    M x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Mary, the first week I started weighing myself (which was about halfway through the initial 8 weeks), I fluctuated up and down every day and wound up with exactly .3 pounds of a loss for the week. It was disconcerting, to put it mildly. The week after that I lost 7 pounds. Losing weight is not a linear progression. You can do everything precisely by the book, weigh, count, never allow a morsel of bad carbs anywhere near your cakehole, and still sometimes your body will just do what it wants with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

Almost a year and 150 pounds later, I know very well how much random gains or meager losses can mess with your mind, and I know it’s easier said than done, but you have to try your best to just roll with it. Don’t brood, don’t obsess over your food log, don’t worry about tweaking this or that. This is the process. It’s a rollercoaster ride. You control what you can — namely what you put into said cakehole — and then let your body do the rest.

If it’s any consolation, you’ll look back on this week’s pound loss with wistful longing the first time you hit a plateau. 😉

on

Stay strong Mary….you got through a testing situation with the Cava (and the son in law).

I sometimes think that the people we know like us a certain way, whether it be fat or drunk or both. It gives them an excuse. It isn’t malicious (for the most part) it is just that us changing shows their flaws.

Keep in mind what Lee has said, it will happen.

FFBB X

on

Super loss OiMadam.

Esnecca – 150 lbs lost is amazing. Truly inspiring.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you everyone for your support. I have indeed still stuck to the programme. I don’t really have a problem with the food as I don’t have a sweet tooth and have been without major carbs since last October. I was tempted to drink today, but I had a shower and gave myself a manicure instead. Thank you again for helping me.

Oimadam, well done. You have lost in a week the same as me in Two weeks. You should be proud! I am very pleased for you. I take delight in everyone’s success and can’t wait for mine.

Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Mary
    I have had exactly the same experience last week it really upset me and I have gone AWL over the last few days.There were other issues but that tipped me over
    Thank you Lee and Esnecca, you have both given me hope I will get back and do it properly

Thanks for being such a supportive bunch
    XX

on

Day 19 in the BSD house.

Not much to report today although I have had a shock (I’m exaggerating a bit).

Turns out I am only 5′ 4″. I have been going round since I stopped growing convinced I am 5′ 5″….but I got measured.

I think instead of losing an inch off my boobs it has come off my height.

Regards,

FFBB X

P.S Stuck to my WOE despite all my favourite carbs being on offer in Sainsburys Local.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey FFBB, love the Big Brother reference…I actually read it with a geordie accent lol.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi FFBB ,
    Thanks for the info about Fat Secret , I have downloaded the app ., & will see how I go with it , I’ve never really been good at documenting food & drink intakes , Weight Watchers being a good example , also a Slimmers Club I joined , where in both situations I guess I didn’t want to share my indulgences !
    Truth be known I didn’t want to see either ….
    It’s known as head in the sand !!
    I have bought the 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book , and think this will be very helpful to get me going in the right direction .
    😊 Hello 66

on

Oh FFBB you did make me laugh. I’m not sure losing height was the goal!!

I’ve found today hard getting back on the wagon. Hunger pangs again which I expected but know I’ve just got to power through….and hopefully hit 809 for the day.

Got the funeral tomorrow. I’m driving, so that sorts the booze question ( a big deal at an Irish wake) but worried about the food! Will pack snacks and hope for the best!

L xx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi to you L ,
    Thank you for your encouraging words ,& yes I’m glad that I took this step too !
    😊Hello 66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi again L
    Good luck with your challenges at the Irish Funeral you are attending , sad occasions always make it harder not to comfort eat , you’ve got the drinks sorted by driving , so best of luck with the eating , and a bit of extra strength coming your way 😊

on

Lee, I read somewhere that in those situations you can always become the “help” or carry around a plate with scraps covered in a napkin if you think people will notice you not eating but it all depends on you.

Good luck, at least you have a plan.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well, there I was just a moseying along, when we was chased by some bandits. I whipped the hosses and we went agalloping along when we hit a rock and the wagon wheel got broked.

Weehee, i went aflying outa the wagon and landed on my ample deh re aire! Well it only seemed kinda friendly like, to have a little drink. Thank ya kindly thats what I did. Just a little bit ya knows.

Well today I am kinda fine. I had the calories to spare ya know….so I am kinda still on course. The wagon wheel is fixeded, and the hosses are back in the harnesses..so am I if ya ken my meaning. Today is another day, an Ima planning on not having any more of that there fire water for a while.

Yee Ha!

Love to all
    Mary xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Ha! You and me both, little lady! You keep nice and tight in that wagon now!

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Have to say I’m a laughin ‘ , not atcha but a with ya , glad you’re not havin’ any more dat fire water !! Yeeee haaaa , I’m watching ‘ out real close for dem bandits Mary 😂😂

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Why thank ya kindly little ladies….

on

Oh Mary, what are you like?

Wait, so now there are Bandits as well as those pesky Sirens? *circles all our wagons*.

XX

on

Day 20 in the BSD house.

Stuck to my WOE and have done my 4 sets of 16 reps strength exercises (arms and shoulders) I am starting to feel the exercises in my muscles but I know it will take weeks, if not months to see a change but what counts is that I am trying. 😇

Shame exercise increases my appetite 🤔 but I stayed strong! 💪

Hope you all stayed strong.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB, I wish I had your resolve. I started this week exercising, but daughters and grandchildren have got in the way. I am exhausted though so maybe that will help. I thought I was to have a ‘me’ day today…but my lovely girls and their lovely babies came around again…good job I love seeing them.

Stay strong.

Mary xxx

on

Look at it this way Mary, your visitors proved a healthy distraction from the bandits. 🤠🤠🤠🐱‍👤🐱‍👤🐱‍👤

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB Lol…they ARE the bandits…they drive me to drink lol

on

Wagons hitched, bandits and sirens slayed and I’m buzzing!

Funeral went as well as it could. Sad day but nice to see everyone. I got lots of compliments on the way I looked and questions on how i did it. I didn’t expand too much except to say low carb and that helped me stay on the straight and narrow food wise and I made it through the day on 933 cals.

I’ve also managed to lose my Ireland gain and some extra (3lbs + 1.6 loss) so I’m now 24lbs down from my start in May and not far away from being under 10 stone. Whoop!

Have a good day y’all!
    L xx

on

Way to go Lee. Whoop Whoop.

Into every generation there is a woman born, she is destined to fight against the bandits and the sirens. She is The BSD-er!

💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Way to go Lee…..here’s a big CHEER !!

You are amazing, such control and you get results. Liz will be so pleased when she has time to visit the forum. I am guessing she is having a rest after her mammoth trek.

Take care.

Mary xxx

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi everyone. Joes Nonna, Lee, FFBB and all doing so well and resisting temptation.

Today I decided not to diet at lunchtime as it was a bring a plate farewell for a retiring colleague. Ate bits and pieces with no guilt, did not necessarily enjoy all of them and felt very full very quickly, which is a new experience. Consequently now home and will probably not have any dinner.

I’m going to have to be very organised and disciplined over the next few weeks as I will be starting a jewellery course that goes for six weeks (Saturday only). I’ll be hopping in the truck on Friday afternoons after flying home and feeding the cat, then fanging down the highway to Sydney (4.5 hours).

Staying with friends and family will be lovely, but oh so tempting to have one or three glasses of wine, carbs etc. They are all generally supportive, but it could easily end up with two days a week of not very health eating. I’ll also have to make sure I have a health lunch with me for Saturday and snacks to keep me going on the trip home on the Saturday evening so that the siren call of McDonalds at Lithgow or Bathurst doesn’t get too loud.

And Sunday will be challenging as I will be tired so not in the mood to cook, shop or prep food in bulk. I’ll be hunting for easy food in the frig and that can so often mean cheese on toast.

But I will prevail. At least on the Saturday I will be in the workshop and probably moving around a bit more than usual. I also have no idea what sort of assignments we will have to do or when I will find time to do them. But I will. This is my transition to retirement as I will have to keep on earning at least a bit of a living, and the BSD is my transition to a healthier life.

And of course there is always a way to spend time not eating, and that is reading all the forum posts.

All the best lovelies for a fantastic weekend.

BTW, whoever developed the recipe for the cauliflower and capsicum soup is a genius. So amazingly easy and delicious. Will be a staple in the freezer along with the pea and mint soup.

on

Not classing today as a day in the BSD house as I am heading “off plan” later.

I am out tonight (flat warming party) and I will drink so I thought I would plan ahead.

1 bottle of wine MAXIMUM (take my own so I am in charge of my own pour, also take one as a gift) it will be watered down with sugar free lemonade and I have garlic chicken thighs to take so I don’t eat the inevitable crisps.

To offset this I will have a late breakfast tomorrow and skip the almonds.

This takes my July daily average to 798 calories.

I am treating this as a dress rehearsal for the rest of my life.

Tomorrow will be day 21 in the BSD house.

Have a fun Friday peeps, and don’t worry as I will kiss the bandits and answer the sirens’ calls for you all so that you don’t have too.

I know, I am so selfless!

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Have a lovely time FFBB. It does you good to relax about food and drink occasionally and you have already sorted out how much etc. Well done for being so focused.
    Thank you for taking the ‘hit’ for us!

Mary xxx

on

You are most welcome Mary. 🍷

Forgot to mention, it is my weigh day and I have lost 3 lbs this week so in 3 weeks I have lost 11 lbs (7, 3, and 3) ☺☺☺😁😁😁

FFBB out X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Woohoo….a weight loss too!…. Result xx

on

Hi all!

Struggling today still with hunger and back pain. Is 6pm too early to go to bed?!

Crabbycams, good luck with your course. I do find being out of routine tough to deal with but sounds like you have a plan…..😊 I imagine the transition to retirement will be an interesting journey.

FFBB you are so selfless! Thanks for taking the bandits out tonight. Hope they are not too rowdy for you!!

Have a good weekend all you lovelies.

Liz- hope you and mum are ok.

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Lee, Sorry you have a bad back.. Hope it gets better soon. Hope we hear from Liz soon too! My thoughts go to everyone out there that is facing stress and sorrow.

on

I have quite a high pain tolerance but it’s been really bad lately and today I needed comfort so had a protein bar with a bucket of tea! It helped but took me to 1100 for the day and I won’t even talk about the carb count….😱

on

Morning all!

Have posted a pic of my bsd savings jar on the fb page. Another £80 put in this morning. Beginning to think I should have done it on pounds lost rather than on alcohol free days. It’s becoming very expensive….🤣

Had a bucket of tea and coffee this morning and about to head to the shops. Going to fast from food til lunch, so hopefully that will keep me busy.
    Have a great weekend everyone xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Morning Lee, Hope the back is better. I wouldn’t dare to go out after a bucket of Tea, I would be like the little pig and wee wee wee wee all the way home.

Mary xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I challenge you all to try and do better…..

ODE TO B.S.D.

Well it’s early Saturday Morning and I have time,
    So I thought I would try to write in rhyme.
    We are all here on this way of life
    Hopefully, you haven’t too much strife.
    This way of life can be hard sometimes.
    Even those from other climes
    Restrict their calories and alcohol intake,
    Think of the self control that must take.

We weigh and research and look at food,
    At the end we count and decide if we’re good.
    If you’re having trouble the forum will help
    Just join in a thread and give a loud yelp.
    The support is amazing, the advice it is sound,
    Friends on the forum, just abound.
    To lose weight may be someone’s aim,
    That’s why they keep on with this game!

Some people want to live for longer
    Others just want to be stronger,
    We all differ, according to self
    One thing we all want is better health.
    So no carbs or low carbs,
    How hard can that be?
    That’s life as I see it on the B.S.D.

Keep the faith peeps.
    Love Mary xxx

on

Brilliant Mary. xx

Well I stuck to the plan last night and I am pleased to say that today I don’t have the urge to drink. I thought it might be a slippery slope but it appears I have on non slip shoes though I did make a swift exit when the pizzas arrived…….I’m not that daft!

Don’t know when I will drink again but it reassuring to know I am in total control.

Thank you BSD.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Whilst I am here I want to tell you all something that happened last night. Someone I have NEVER met took it upon themselves to give me a lecture on how bad for my metabolism/body my WOE is. He heard me telling someone how I was losing weight but eating healthier. He said and I quote ” You will lose weight too quickly, your skin will sag and you will look awful naked. Then when you return to eating normally you will regain all the weight plus extra for good measure!” To say my flabber was gasted is an understatement! This bloke is easily as heavy as I was 14 months ago and he was having this go at my WOE while inhaling Pringles and drinking Strongbow.

I calmly replied with “When I am at a weight I am happy with I have a plan for maintaining and living my life to the full. If I do gain a little bit I know what to do and as for your other points you will never know what I look like naked so you just enjoy your drink and nibbles and your inevitable type 2 diabetes” I then smiled sweetly and excused myself.

Fucking nerve of the guy,! like the saggy skin isn’t the main thing that worries me about losing weight. I know I will end up with spaniel ears for boobs but that is what bras are for and I won’t get type 2 diabetes or end up losing a foot.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB…You go girl….I hate that people think they can say what they want when we are bigger….when was the last time he walked up to a skinny bitch and said…hey you are too thin, you look like a rack of ribs?

Effing ARSEHOLE!

You told him…thank goodness.

Impressed…Mary xxx

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi FFBB, well done you. That’s the sort of come back I only ever dream about. Some people have a nerve.

I have a skinny minnie at work who is always telling me what I should do, and that if I lose weight too fast etc.etc. And the concept that you MUST lose weight slowly is like, well, like a commandment that came down from the mountain with Moses.

It’s even more entrenched than the fat is bad concept.

Again, well done you FFBB, may the force be with you and with me when I need a ragingly polite put down.

on

Thank you both.

I have to say that I have had that answer (well the first part) ready for just such a moment and it is true. I have considered my maintenance plan and I know exactly what I am going to do when I get there. The bit about the naked/nibbles/diabetes was just for him. I can be quite cutting when I have to be.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I once worked with a woman who told me “if you were married to my husband he would make you do exercises until you were slim.”
    I replied….my husband loves me for WHO I am not WHAT I am, I am sorry you have such a rotten husband.

She didn’t speak to me again and tried to make others join in….workplace bullying…I had a work review and the Manager told me off!
    I left.

Sad bastards.

We will outshine them all. Grrrr.
    Mary xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.