New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Inspiring , funny , strong , entertaining , and supportive , you’re all here in this lovely group & I so enjoy reading all your comments .
    Lee hope that back is better , just loved the ode Mary , & can I Yelp ? Help !!
    I’m still having trouble leaving wine off the menu !
    It was dinner time , well and truly after 5 , wine time had been , gone , I’d missed it , so thought I was cruising ….. I was thinking about it though , trying to ignore it , I made some ginger tea , then decided to pour it into a big wine glass , was quietly congratulating myself , feeling smug even , sipped half , then weakened completely , & topped the glass up with wine & drank it 😁😁😁😁warm ginger flavoured watery wine , not ideal I have to admit , but filled a foolish need at the time .
    Today is another day , will think of you guys when a moment of weakness comes knocking , and just have to say ,
    FFBB what a fantastic put down for that obnoxious p…! Brilliant πŸ‘
    H66

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey Hello66,
    Sometimes you have to do what it takes to get through the day. Today my family visited. Love my girls and their kids….not so keen on one of the sons in law though. He is an arse and I get so angry at his lack of manners etc. As I was cooking a meal for them, they opted for spaghetti bolognese. I forgot to buy courgette, so ended up eating it with them. Then (they had to have cake it was their birthdays), I just had to have a piece of cake, I am not a great cake eater, but I just had to have it. My problem now is to compound the misdemeanor with wine tonight or be good….only time will tell.

You will get there Hello66, I did…and didn’t drink for 2 weeks…I think I may go for 3 next time…but maybe not tonight.

Take care.

Mary xxx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hi all

Thanks for your good wishes…I’m practically high on painkillers but was up and about earlier. Note to self, M&S foodhall while fasting is not the wisest move 😳 But I escaped relatively quickly with protein filled goodies!

Have just practically inhaled a poached egg 🍳 on toast. I know bread is not bsd but the painkillers make me sooo nauseous I figured it was the lesser of two evils. 😈

Loved the poem Mary. Liz is obviously not the only one on here with a literary gift!!

H66, don’t worry about the “ginger” wine. It’s probably still less than normal. I find weekends the hardest if I’m honest, so tend to up the calories. Weigh day tomorrow, so I will know then if the bread has damaged me! Still I was going to have two slices and two eggs but halved the portion….

FFBB way to go. I don’t know why people feel it’s ok to comment on eating habits, weight etc. Just imagine how great he looks naked!! 😱😳
    I’ve developed spaniel eat boobs) great phrase so have booked myself into rigby and peller next weekend. I shall be perky again in no time 🀣

L 😘

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Thanks Lee & Mary for your support & understanding , and advice , you’ve had your own challenges Mary having to eat spaghetti Bol and cake , did you escape from the wine ?
    Your SIL needs a few words from FFBB to put him in his place !
    Well it’s onward and upward , ‘ try a bit harder ‘ is ringing in my head , let it ring
    Xx Hello 66

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Chicks, Well, we’re finally back home, truck unpacked, and drinking tea by the vat at the kitchen table. I can’t tell you how much each of you helped me through the journey. At one point I had a huge panic attack–worst ever in my life, and thought I was losing my mind. To get through it without booze was the worst battle I have ever faced. It really shook me and pulling into a gas station to refill but knowing I could just run in and buy beer/wine/hooch was so hard. I just dove into this site and grabbed your hands and rested my head on Nona’s shoulder and thought–I’m doing this. I won’t go crazy. I don’t need booze. I’ve got support.
    While in Florida I managed to gain 3lbs but most was water weight as everything is so salty in America. Today after 2 days home I am peeing for Canada. I am back on the 800cal/day and feeling great about myself. Kev is on nights so I sent him off with grilled chicken and veg and I had a little chicken and 4 zucchini boats with a squirt of pizza sauce/parmesan and baked them 25 mins–lovely!
    When we were on the road it was really hard to eat well. 30 hours over three days and I wasn’t really wanting no carb healthy stuff. BUT, funnily enough, by day three I was craving proper food. So, in the morning as we were leaving the motel (having eaten the complementary boiled egg and one sausage) I spied a grocery store opposite and dashed in for a couple of apples when I spied a “gourmet takeaway”. Reading the sign– they will pack you a lunch or your dinner for work or home etc. The girl was a little too chipper given the time of day and insisted on telling me all of my options. I chose two grilled chicken, cucumber/tom/onion/parsely/vinegar salad, and a chickpea number–well done Lizzie. She went on to explain they give it to you in BPA free containers that can be reused. I was at the point that she could have served it up an alligator’s ass and I’d have been grateful. I kept it in the cooler until lunch then Kev and I feasted and food never tasted so good!
    About 5pm we were starving so Kev pulled into another grocery store as eating just the patties of a McBurger like I’d done the first two days just wasn’t going to work. I went to the deli and picked up some grilled salmon from the ready to eat counter but they had no veg!! Mac and cheese or spuds in 2,364 different ways but no veg!! Not even salad so I went to the veg section, picked up a bag of broccoli/cauliflower mix that you microwave for 3 mins and went back to the ready food counter and asked her if she could nuke it for me. “Oh sure sugar! You like your veg I see!” “Well, truthfully, I’ve been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I have to really drop some weight.” “Oh me too! And I’m on a diet–have to lose nearly half my weight!” then regales me with the longest three minutes of her failed diet experiences. Finally the micro beeped and she opened the bag and kindly dropped them in a container for me and closed it up……but not before calling over her shoulder “Honey, you want cheese sauce with yer veg?” fuck it thought my inner voice “Yes please.” After all, I had for sure earned virtue points for at least trying and virtue points burn calories–in the world according to Liz.
    I am back on track and looking forward to continuing with my journey along with each of you. We will each have days where we think–fuck this shit but we have each other and we will soldier on.
    Much love,
    BPA free Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Lady Loves,
    I’m in bed now and going through your lovely, thoughtful and honest posts I’m seeing a pattern….the booze is still an issue for many of you. So I’m going to crack the spiritual whip and say “You know it isn’t easy but you must fight harder. You know where you want to get to but you won’t get there on a 1/2 bottle of wine/night. Now bust out the cucumber water, the pots of tea, the dew from a gooseberry bush if it helps but please my allies in this journey, this battle that we are waging, fight harder. We’ve never met but I love each and every one of you as we are on the same journey. We have bared our souls to each other on these pages and we know the joy of success and the pain of defeat. What has booze ever done for you? It sure as shit did nothing for me but make me fat, endure countless hours of hellish hangovers, on a good day I would be droopy, billions of dollars spent, okay, tens of thousands for sure over 20 years. So please my angels, and you truly were angels when I was battling a full blown panic attack, I reached out to each of you and gripped your hands for all I was worth. I could hear Nona through her chest like you did when you were a little kid and you were cuddled up to your Mum but she was talking and her voice resonated–but I heard Nona Mary say “Liz, it’s okay, I’m here”. We have each other in our little niggle moments when we still aren’t quite at the bottle and we have each other in the depths of our days when we want nothing but to take the edge off the strain of life. Go into town, pick out a special mug that is just yours, or a nice tall glass and fill it with water or tea that will wash away the demons. I stand by my kitchen door with my steaming mug of tea and look out at a lovely tree and remind myself that hungover I’d be in the basement watching tv with an icepack on my brow wasting the day. I promise, we have the strength of each other and we will succeed. You only fail when you stop trying. Now let’s make our tomorrows count, one day at a time.”
    Much love, Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Liz, it is so good that you are back. You are our inspiration and I am so proud that we were of help when you had your crisis. I am here and sending the biggest virtual cuddle right now.
    You are right. Booze is good for nothing, except bollocking up your body and making you more miserable. It is a well known depressant and when you already have a bit of a black dog about you it makes you worse. Not when first drunk, but later when you come down.
    We owe it to ourselves and to you not to drink Satan’s Piss again.
    Love you lots.
    Nonna Mary xxxx

ps, How is your mother?

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Welcome back Liz. I bet “cheese sauce lady” is trying to lose weight the “conventional” way.

Mary – I will sort out your son in law for you.

Lee – People always have an opinion on how we should lose weight. It is as if as soon as I say “I am trying to shift some weight” it gives them permission to tell me where I am going wrong. I’d rather not picture him naked, I am just about to have my breakfast.

Have a super Sunday all, I will do my daily report later.

FFBB X

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Mum has settled and is doing the best we can expect. The doctor says that sadly there is not much anyone can do but rather ride out her life journey making the best of what we can. She is back taking meals in the dining room but largely uses a wheelchair with assistance. She is in good spirits but very very confused. It has certainly added to the battle of trying to get in shape.
    And you guys are right. Why is it that anyone that learns I’m trying to shift a few immediately launches into “well that diet sounds ridiculous” or “oh you’re one of the no carb brigade”. I show them results–weight loss and blood sugar stabilized. And throw in the odd “I’m sorry, remind me where you got your medical degree” snarks. I am learning that people do not like to see others succeed for some odd reason. Like the girl across the street, she went to Weight Watchers and lost 30lbs, then over the next year gained it back as she went back to old habits (wine was a big one and sweets). She told me I shouldn’t bother with this journey as it won’t last. I very pointedly told her that her experience was because she had failed to learn. What we are doing is a whole body life style adjustment. It is learning a new relationship with ourselves and what we can do to really love ourselves. Stuffing our gobs with biscuits or bottles of wine is not self-love. Taking time with ourselves, not over-extending ourselves–like women often do, and respecting our bodies. Like I said to my Kev when we were on the road, I’d hate to die and people say “she cared for everyone but herself.”
    I’m putting me first and it feels great. I have said “no” more times in the last month than ever before in my life and it feels wonderful! Sure I’ve had to distance myself from a few heavy drinking friends but that is a self-preservation move. Many of my friends have been absolute cows in their determination to sabotage my not drinking commitment so I’ve kicked them to the curb. This is about me. Period. One important thing I have learned is that it’s okay to put me first. I’m allowed.
    xo Elizabeth I

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Queen Elizabeth I, you go girl (your majesty)…like I always say…this isn’t a rehearsal it’s the real thing…so make the most of it. Wish I could take my own advice lol.

Mary I
    xxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Well said, we only have one life, so we need to make it the very best life we can!

on

Hi all

HRH Liz, welcome back to you and Kev. I’m so sorry about your mother. It adds to your burden but it will keep you strong. You are right, it’s time to look after yourself.

The alcohol is really not an issue for me. I didn’t really enjoy the few drinks I had in Ireland, so I’m happy and confident that this is a permanent lifestyle change for me. My bandits are bread and junk food. They literally sing to me.

I’m now just a max 12lbs away from maximum goal. I’m currently 142lbs and the max I want to drop to is 130lb. So I’m getting anxious about maintenance. The 800 plan is easy to follow. We know what we have to do and we know when we go wrong. I imagine I will have to log everything I eat for a long time to come. I’m worried if relax at all I will regress to carb hell. I will need your strength and support for months to come! πŸ™πŸ»πŸ€

So, sat here enjoying my usual Sunday tv treat of “obese: a year to save my life” followed by the biggest loser with a cup of vanilla coffee with full cream milk. Waitrose are on the way and menus are being planned for the week. My back is still bad. Hoping to get back to swimming in the next week or so which will help it. So going to have a lazy day today. I figure I’ve earned it 🀣

I have an ultrasound of my stomach on Wednesday to try to get to the bottom of my electrolyte disorder. It’s at 5pm and I have to be nil by mouth for 5 hours before (and that includes water!) why they couldn’t schedule for the morning I don’t know but I know that’s gonna be hard to cope with as I’m still going through withdrawal following Ireland 😱

Also have my first review at the diabetic clinic tomorrow. I suspect that they will be anti bsd. So that will be an interesting consult.

So, a full on week for me. Bring it on!!

L 😘

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Lee, if you don’t mind me butting in I am living the BSD maintenance dream at the moment, and want to reassure you that it is possible. The only tricks you need are not to go back to your old eating habits, although occasional indulgences don’t hurt and you need to increase your calories gradually up to at least your calculated TDEE or even a little beyond it, and then get used to the portion sizes it allows. If you do it gradually you may even lose a little more doing this, I did and I increased my calories by a full 50 calories each day.

on

Thanks mixnmatch, that’s really encouraging! I guess I will just have to do it slowly. 130 seems to be the absolute bottom of the healthy range for me, so may adjust goal up to 135, which would allow for any extra weight loss while I navigate maintenance….
    I’ve started increasing my calories a little already to mitigate my electrolyte disorder and I’m still losing, so that makes sense.

All still seems surreal to me. Wish I had done this years ago!

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Lovelies! I’m not sure if it is happening in your parts but here in Toronto the low carb thing is making off to the degree that a reputable bakery now makes Carb Smart bread! It is a rye type bread with 3 net carbs per slice!!! Thank you Jesus. AND there is a new Carb friendly grocery store that is my frigging dream!! It has everything like soups, condiments, tortilla wraps, snack foods that are all low to no carb. Even a pasta that is carb friendly!!! I think due to the Western lifestyle loads of people are developing type 2 so the money will be in low carb foods. Keep an eye out in your grocery stores. I am just having 1 slice every couple of days as it is 80 calories/slice but what a heavenly treat! I love cheese and tomato on bread or toast and had that yesterday….fucking bliss.
    Yours, Liz’s Low Carb Options Detective Agency

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I haven’t come across this here yet, but I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks for the info.
    Mary xxx

on

Day 22 in the BSD house.

I am shattered! Really busy day in the shop and my energy was really low. This is either an after effect of Friday night or I need to increase my calories a bit. I am after a perfect daily average for the month. I want August to be the same. So I am going to monitor my energy levels.

I have bought a pair of size 16 jeans from the shop (M & S new Β£4) I tried the size 18 dress on and it zips up a little bit more but I still have a long way to go (fucking back fat and boobs!) I will get into these items and then play it by ear.

Going to chill out with a Doctor Who box set (Ecclestone era) now.

Regards,

FFBB X

on

Love the Ecclestone Dr Who era. I have the box set too, though I’m curling up with the Victoria box set! Good news for the new clothes though…πŸ‘

Hovis have just introduced low carb bread and it’s on offer at 90p in Waitrose, so have ordered for next week. Got a craving for cheese on toast now thanks to HRH Liz 1st!!

L xx

• posted by EC
    on

Hello lovelies!!
    ‘pologies for the long silence: travelling was good but difficult on many levels…..many slip-ups re BSD on the last week when a lot of moving around, and stopped counting calories for almost a week….though kept up most of the BSD principles

Glad to hear ALL your collective and lovely stories again
    Lee….go easy with your back and Liz….go easy on yourself. I went through all that with my mum a few years back…when just after her 90th (!!) birthday, she developed dementia….never an easy time. I spent most of Friday in Sydney visiting a friend in hospital going through horrendous chemo and cancer treatments…I felt grotesquely robust looking at her poor ravaged body. Life and health are often so random

I’ve returned after almost 12 days with only a 1kg gain (from my 6-7 kg loss…when I couldn’t locate the scales, so a little unsure), which I feel is already heading on its way, so not too disappointed.

We arrived home Saturday morning and spend all weekend dismantling the kitchen and dining rooms to put in underfloor heating. I spent all yesterday stocking the fridge and freezer with BSD friendly soups (at least five varieties!), frittata and veg meals….so NO excuses even in the bedlam!!! Fortunately the office is away from all that….and next winter, I will warm my slimmer feet and body on the heated floorboards!…and will finally get my years-awaited kitchen tiles/splashback!

Son no 4 has come down from Melbourne for a week to help our builder-friend…he served eggs and veg for breakfast yesterday and didn’t even offer me toast…another ally!…so I’m pretty lucky that I haven’t met many detractors as yet, but I’m storing all your wittisims for if I do!!!….. the journalist friends we visited for dinner last week did serve a very BSD friendly salad and fish, but I lacked the resolve to say a firm no to the prosecco x many!!…..anyhow, as I said, the fridge and freezer are stocked with pre-prepared meals for at least 10 days. Mary, said to hear re your SIL also….again I am so far very lucky…all the boys’ wives and girlfriends are just lovely…though not all hitched yet, so I won’t be complacent!

Today’s calories at less than 400 so feel as if I’m truly back….had a five hour meeting today so truly back at work too (ugh…and a seriously bad headache to show for it!)

thank you all for being here

go well
    xxx
    Erin

on

Day 23 in the BSD house.

I have had a lovely lunch out, it was on plan but not within my 800 calories (or within my 50 g net carbs).

I had a lovely Ploughman’s but I didn’t eat the pastry from the Gala pie nor the meat from the scotch egg (looked unappealing) but don’t know how to alter the item to adjust for no pastry (pie) so I just guesstimated the size of the meat without the pastry and just added the boiled egg. Didn’t have a glass of wine or dessert and my daily average for July stands at just under 900 calories…. and do you know what? I am totally happy with that.

Under 1000 daily average calories is OK with me, it means that I can have an unplanned lunch out and manage my weight loss at the same time.

I am still sleeping well and my energy levels are up today, but then I have had a bigger lunch.

Did my 6 reps of 16 arm exercises as well.

Like I have previously said, life has to be liveable!

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya all,

EC, sounds like you are in a state of upheaval….congrats for being strong and sticking to this WOE.
    FFBB…again well done for being in control.
    Lee you will have to let us know how that bread is, taste, looks and toastability!
    My weigh in day tomorrow and apart from one slip up, I have adhered faithfully to my 800 and low carbs (no potatoes, bread, rice etc) if I haven’t lost any weight I may just cry or get angry. If I get angry I will use it up by cleaning the house…so it’s a sort of win, win situation.
    So fingers crossed for tomorrow and I will let you know.
    Love Mary xxxx

on

Mary, it is inches that count as well as weight. I have lost 2 inches off my jelly belly in 3 weeks so do not get disheartened if you don’t show a loss on the scales. Out of interest how do you record what you eat? I have crossed my fingers and toes but not my eyes for you.

On the topic of low carb bread I would want to know the ingredients and how it is made. I have this issue with vegan cakes. Call me old school but a basic sponge is a simple 6 oz of s/r flour, caster sugar and unsalted butter + 3 eggs (if I am being technical I weigh the eggs in the shell and match that weight with each ingredient) you don’t even need baking powder. It is a shame I am off cake because I make the best buns/shortbread EVER! And my mum is the queen of cakes. We don’t ponce around decorating them….it is the taste that counts. FYI my liqueur chocolates are to die for……..4 will take you over the legal driving limit!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB, I use Myfitnesspal, and a calorie counter book….I weigh all my food even when using a recipe from the BSD recipe book. I am hoping to lose pounds or inches, either is a plus. Last week one pound and no difference elsewhere. I have been on the loo all day so I presume I will have lost a bit tomorrow. Lol.

I will let you know. Be careful when crossing everything though, you will do your bladder some damage!

Take care.

Mary xxx

• posted by EC
    on

early start here with the plasterers in at 7.30 AM!!! (I was, thankfully up and showered!)
    also, thankfully Michael will be doing much of the work himself, and the builder and plumber are both good friends of ours, as I’m not great at having strangers in the house for long stretches

Managed to cook fish in the microwave last night…I’ve never owned one before, so this few weeks will be a huge learning curve in many ways…I know how to defrost and re-heat with it, but never actually cooked in one before….pretty good result. rubbed the fish with miso, surrounded by shitake mushrooms and lemon juice and app 4-5 mins later with some reheated baked beetroot…dinner!!
    I did give in to a slice of sourdough and cheese but still came in well under 800cals….and NO WINE (thanks for the spiritual whip, Liz)
    Luckily the workers were drinking beer and I’m rarely tempted by that unless its a stinking hot day

craabycams, you’re right about that roast caps/cauli soup….I can’t take credit for the recipe: I found it online, but I was a very early adopter!! and have even shared the recipe with a generally non-cooking friend to great success

Also, made my roast pumpkin/chickpea soup on the weekend and roasted globe artichokes with it as they are in season at the moment…tastes just fine and they are supposed to be useful for reducing BSLs

Power is off at the moment, so am considering the camping stove for a second coffee (too cold here for cucumber water!!)

here’s to shared resolve all!!

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi all ,
    OMG how I needed and felt that crack of your Majestic spiritual whip Liz , I quickly read posts on the 16 th , your words resonated with me , as did the sound of that spiritual whip !
    I’ve read and re read them over and over , and how right you are on all counts ….
    Have to say you’d be a fantastic motivational speaker , no doubt about it ! I’m definitely going to buy myself a special mug , & a long tall glass , both will be filled accordingly with tea and water to wash away the demons …. I’ve already started this plan and it’s going well with mugs and glasses we have ( way too many actually ) , but i see extra benefit in choosing the new special mug , as it will always remind me of ALL your wise & caring words , and the glass , it will never be contaminated with Satan’s piss ( to use your words Mary) and both will always be capable of washing away lurking demons !
    The situation with your Mum must certainly be adding to the pressure and your resolve to stay away from stinking booze , so much admiration coming your way that you have come to the realisation that booze has done nothing for you , and you’ve been cope with every obstacle , without succumbing to its sweet lies , including that shocking panic attack !
    That you were able reach out and grab those hands from here , & rest your head on Nonna ‘ s shoulder says what is to be gained from these wonderful fellow warriors here , I do hope everyone here knows my hands are always outstretched , arms always open , virtual hugs always coming your way when needed …..
    Your words are very true too Mary about booze , good for nothing etc etc !
    Do hope you lost the weight you hoped for , I must measure my waist so I can check both inches loss & weight loss too .
    Any loss for me will be gratefully accepted !
    I was up 200 grams from yesterday’s weigh in , after what I believed was a better effort since feeling the Royal whip on my butt , so I skipped breakfast , just black tea so made it a 17 hour fast by the time I lunched at 1 , so I’m very interested to see if that long fast helps me to lose at least that 200 grams .
    FFBB The new jeans and dress a great idea for incentive , I may just add a pair of new jeans or a new dress to my shopping list !
    Lee I do hope your back improves , and your ultrasound gives some answers about your electrolyte imbalance , all the best xx
    & yes ‘ Here’s to shared resolve ‘ EC .
    Look forward to checking back here soon .
    H66 xx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Charlie’s (Angels) for those old enough to even have a clue what I’m talking about,
    What a day of challenges….but even having been challenged I didn’t punch one moron in the throat–well done me. (insert irritating smily emoticon bullshit thingy here as that is what one is meant to do like a grumpy face amiright?)
    Okay, so I’m in a mood. ish.
    I had a grand day of food although my neighbour is a total douche canoe unrelated to anything about dieting. But seriously he is as helpful or inspiring as a bag of dick tips. And he’s a minister (the God kind not political). Right, that ‘s me on the Japanese bullet train to hell. Whateva.
    I thundered through today and sent out monster strong vibes to each and every one of you.
    I wanted to share this one thing I do each night that might help you as it sure helps me. I wanted to say “sure as fuck” but am trying to clean up my potty mouth. Anyway, once the kitchen is put to bed, you know that feeling once you’ve loaded the dishwasher, wiped down the counters, turned off the light above the range, filled the dog’s water bowl, pushed the chairs under the table and turned out the light. Well, once I get upstairs, had a pee, brushed my teeth and climbed into bed I lay there. I mean I truly lay on the bed. Fuck, is if lay or lie. Whatever. I let my body sink into the mattress and I feel every part of the sensation and then I reach out to every friend I have on this thread. And I shit you not I take a deep breath and I hold hands with you. I let peace fill me knowing that I have you. I let my body sink into the mattress and I picture your hands there for the holding. Try it. Take several deep cleansing breaths (I’m no tofu yoga crazy I promise–I took a yoga class once but spent most of my effort trying not to fart) No, I’m talking after a shit day where your boss is a total asshole, you want to sell your kids and the cat just barfed on your best cashmere sweater–complete your day on your own terms, then, when your time is yours, sink into your mattress, and feel yourself melt. Take breaths, deep breaths. And celebrate your success.
    see you on the rainbow of success tomorrow Chickadees.
    Much love, Liz
    P.S. and if the fucking cat hurled a fur ball onto your finest cashmere give the bastard up for adoption. Peace out. πŸ™‚

on

Morning all!

Goodish day yesterday. Back held up throughout work and I was very short staffed so that was impressive. I actually got loads done without having everyone interrupting me so a great sense of achievement and I went home satisfied.

Food went well too, so I think I’m back on the wagon again. Got a lovely garlic prawn salad for lunch today and back to old faithful fage Greek yoghurt for brekkie as well.

Good luck with the build EC. It will be tough now but think of the end result . That’s what we are doing here after all!

H66 that’s a great idea for your mug and glass. I positively have a bucket of a mug for my morning tea. It’s a Guinness one, so perhaps not entirely appropriate but works for me…

FFBB I will tell all about the bread. I normally don’t do processed stuff but I think I need it right now and for getting ready for maintenance. If I can have that, I will happily stay away from potatoes and pasta permanently!

Genuinely running out of clothes to wear now. Put one of my favourite summer dresses on yesterday and I looked like a little girl in her mothers clothes. It was not a good look. Time to peruse the next sale???

L xx

on

Oh and Mary, are you getting enough salt? Xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello peeps….Happy Tuesday..
    Liz, I love that you hold our hand and I send you my love…I do the imagination thingy, and congratulate myself for doing the business this day and hope for strength to do the same tomorrow.

Today is my weigh day and……drum roll….I have lost a pound… an Effing pound….and no I haven’t lost inches either! I have been having trouble getting up to 800 calories this week….and only broke on Saturday, when I had pasta and cake….otherwise I have been a veritable effing SAINT. No booze…no carbs….the one day I had a glass of wine, it was within 800 calories.

So onward and upward. I WILL CONTINUE….I WILL NOT BE BEATEN…sooner or later this weight has to come off. I have an underactive thyroid so I know my metabolism is sluggish….I will up the exercise and see what happens next week.

Keep going my lovelies….we can do this (well you can I am hanging onto your coat tails). Give me a hug?

Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lee, I am pretty sure I have enough salt….I am not retaining much water as I could pee for England…I have checked my carbs and they are very low too! It has to happen eventually as I am not going over 800 any day (with the exception of Saturday). I will just have to persevere and hope for the best.

Until then I have everyone else’s back and live vicariously through you all.

Hope your back is improved.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

on

H66 They are a great, and cheap, incentive. I imagine myself in the jeans and dress by holding them up to my reflection though I think I will be in the size 16 jeans before the size 18 dress zips up fully (boobs!) I haven’t been lower than a size 14 since puberty so I know size 16 is an achievable goal and a realistic one.

Mary BIG HUGS coming atcha.

L what a brilliant reason to have to go clothes shopping…so much better than having to “size up”.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Mary – a big hug coming your way as requested! Mary , don’t be despondent. Look at it this way – 1 pound off a week means you will be 52 pounds lighter this time next year – nearly 4 stones. We can never go back to our old habits so I am using this transition as a dress rehearsal for the rest of my life. I know that we want it NOW but some people just lose quicker than others. I too lose slowly. I’m currently about a pound a week too.Was out on Friday and had a proper good time to myself and it’s taken me since then to get back to what I was before the indulgence – serves me jolly well right! The thing to remember is that we are in it for the long haul – I just kid on I am aleady thin and this my life. So, I try not to worry about the odd indiscretion. I have given myself 18 months before I am 60 and trekking the Grand Canyon – Haha! Well- one can dream! Stick in there friend – chin up and forward we march-we WILL be dollybirds no matter how long it takes!

Good wishes to everybody else – Liz – hope you’re mum’s ok and ‘my Kev’ too.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Besties,
    EC your life sounds like mine! Well done on maintaining your goals when all around you is in chaos. I know it’s hard.
    Lee–splurge on some clothes–you deserve it!! When you look in the mirror it will be like seeing yourself in your very own hard work trophy.
    Mary–for fuck’s sake girl it’s a pound!!!! Go to the fridge and get out a pound of butter. Put it on the counter. Pull up a chair and gaze at it. That is one less pound on your bod! Fucking well done you!!!! Kev and I were at the grocery store when I had lost my first 10lbs. He’s got the cart and is a bit ahead and turns around to see his wife clutching 10 lbs of butter to her chest. I literally loaded my arms with 10 lbs of butter. I just wanted to feel and see what it looked like. Next time you are in the shops try it–it felt amazing. Nonna Mary, I am generally strong but in my weak moments your shoulder is where I rest my head. Thank you for being there.

……and now a drumroll please……..I have just got back from the shops. Because I’m so tall I can only buy my black pants for work at Long Tall Sally and they are frigging expensive as they know here in Toronto tall women have very little choice. I only have 3 pair as they are $98 a pair. My pants were size 22 when I started this diet. After 18lbs I took them in about 1 1/2″……and today I bought a size 18. And girls I’ll tell you I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING ROCKSTAR!!!!!! They are slightly snug but they are on me and will motivate me to keep losing. Even the girl in the shop who is about 25 saw me and squealed “OMG Liz–you are really doing this!!! We get loads of women saying they are on diets but you are seriously doing this!!!!” And she gave me a ‘special event’ 15% off. I gotta tell ya–I’m feeling the love. The self-love. And it feels good.
    Loving you all,
    Lizzie 18

on

Day 24 in the BSD house.

Short and sweet today. I have really struggled with my appetite and have had just over 1000 calories.

I won’t show any loss this week, well I haven’t so far but as long as there is no gain there will be no pain.

All the best

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well girls….we can all congratulate ourselves for something. I am indeed happy that it is a pound OFF….I would like it to be more especially when I know how hard I have tried. For instance, today I had a one egg omelet with some mushrooms…then tonight, I have eaten, cold meats and salad….my calorie intake for the day….352! Now what do I do…I am full…..don’t want any more to eat and certainly do not want a drink….no carbs means no biscuits, cake etc. What do I do to get my calories up? Don’t you wish you had my problem….the fact is, this happens to me a lot….so that is why I am puzzled that I don’t lose weight. Anyway…onwards….next Tuesday will see a whoosh I am sure.

Liz, my shoulder loves to feel you resting there. Please stay well. Love to our Kev and Mom…and all the other ladies.

Nonna Mary xxxx

PS… I am not despondent, I only asked for hugs, because I like them lol

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey FFBB, hit the stuff you can have lots of–sauerkraut is one! I eat it on my difficult days, then fart, then farting makes me laugh, then I’m all happy and full. Oh, and then shit for Canada the next day and lose even more weight! Tofu is another where you can go for volume. Grab some veg, some shrimp and a big chunk of tofu, get a packet of stir fry sauce and BOOM you’ve got a belly full of food and not a huge hit on the blood sugar or diet numbers. You’ve got this babe. For now, have a cup of tea, something soothing like camomile maybe and hit the hay as I guess it is night where you are. Tomorrow make a point of stopping for some special ingredients just for you. Maybe make the cauliflower pizza or zucchini noodles or something. But make it about you. Hey, pick up a can of aerosol cream at 10 cals per tablespoon and negligible carbs and a bag of cherries. You can have about 10-12 and blast yourself some awesome soul food. I spray it right into my mouth from the can–indulgent and glorious. You’re doing great. You are being mindful and attaining your goals. What’s not to love about how you did today?! I’m proud of you.
    Much love for you right now FFBB. Be mindful tomorrow and love just you. You are your priority. Fuck everyone else for now. This is about you.
    Big hugs, Lizzie fart fart xo

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Nonna Mary buy some cherries and get a can of aerosol cream–bloody lush and you’ll feel you’ve had a treat. My cousin is in the UK and buys diabetic dessert cups which I think she gets at Tescos. evenings can be challenging. If you find that low carb Hovis you could have that with a slice of cheese/tomato maybe or diabetic jam with a cup of tea. Don’t forget pickles are usually free food so that’s an option. Whatever you fancy just make sure you make an event of it. don’t graze by the fridge but rather put it on a plate, sit at the table or in your chair and punctuate your ‘meal’ with a cup of tea or large water so you know you’ve eaten.
    Lizzie Canned Cream xo

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lizzie Canned Cream…I may well give it a go, but not feeling hungry and don’t want to force myself to eat…think I will have meat and two veg tomorrow. Love pickles, but they don’t always like me. Still I usually have the shits anyway (ibs) so I may as well try some.

Stay well.

Nonna Mary xxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Nonna Mary, You saucy bitch! I might be Canadian but I know “meat and two veg” is another way of saying you’re going to have a heaping serving of Joseph!! (wink). Sure, meat and two veg might be a good back to basics approach. I can’t think why or how you can only eat under 400 cals. Is your belly okay? have you mentioned it to your doctor? I know you have IBS but you should be able to eat more. I’m a bit worried chick.
    Cheers, Liz the Perv

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey Liz the Perv,
    I can indeed eat more than 400 calories, its just that tonight I am full after a humungous salad and cold meats. I don’t eat a lot anyway but can put away a chicken kebab like a navvy!
    My Joseph is very happy that we may have meat and two veg tomorrow so long as he doesn’t lose his memory again.
    Sleep well.
    Love Nonna Mary xxx

on

Mary, I think your issue is that you are not eating enough. It’s ok to be a bit under the 800 occasionally but not by 400 😱😱😱

My weight didn’t really start to shift until I varied my intake between 600 and 1000, the average remained around 800.

Try some babybel cheese, nuts and an apple every so often. The fage yoghurt is brilliant too. Perhaps have that as a pudding with blueberries or strawberries?

Don’t mean to nag but I’m really worried about you now…..

L xxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Re the clothes to shrink into, that was a major part of my success I think. On the Hello thread we had several people who had jeans of the future or JOTF, once loved jeans that they could no longer fit in but as the weight came off they got closer and closer until that magic day when you could do them up and still breathe and walk. I didn’t have any smaller jeans left, as I had been big for so long so I headed to the sales and bought myself a pair of skinny jeans in each size down from where I currently was (size 18, I think, having started at size 22) I almost missed the window for my size 16’s and needed a belt almost immediately but the day I got into my size 14’s was one of my best feelings on this journey. The pair of size 12’s I bought at the same time looked crazily tiny at the time, but I now need a belt for them too, and can fit into (if not entirely comfortably) size 8’s that weren’t part of my box of the future in the wardrobe as I never dreamed I’d ever get there. Mini-goals aren’t all about scales, inches and improved health are important too πŸ˜€.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lee, please don’t be worried. I usually eat around 700 to 900 calories a day. Today I haven’t and I am really quite satiated, so don’t want to eat any more. I do not make a habit of this, but occasionally, it happens. For breakfast tomorrow I intend to have…smoked salmon, watercress and scrambled or poached egg. Then for dinner (I don’t eat lunch) I will probably have Steak and mushrooms, with vegetables. I really do eat healthily. I have to be careful with dairy as I am lactose intolerant, but I try to sneak in a little yogurt and fruit from time to time. I had this yesterday and today I have the shits. I am used to a restrictive diet as I have been on one most of my life, which I why I don’t find this way of life difficult. I used to get my extra calories from wine, but prefer not to now. I promise I am not being silly. Yesterday my calories were 688, and the day before I had Bacon Egg and beans for breakfast, and chilli con carne with veg for dinner. I hope I have put your mind at rest, and that your back is improving. Don’t worry about me, my Jovis makes sure I eat properly and he is eating everything I do, except he doesn’t weigh his to work out the calories.
    Stay well.
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Nonna Mary, If you an Joe get to doing the dirty and he gets that global memory thing again for Christ’s sake call me, I’ll get on the first Air Canada flight and stand outside the cubicle as you explain 14 ways of Sunday what you were doing. I swear I pissed myself when I read that account. Brilliant!!
    Liz

• posted by EC
    on

good morning everyone!!

GOOD sleep last night so raring to go into a new day……and the sun is returning to our cold little wintry patch…at least can see it hitting the ground across the road!!

The renos continue, and I’m sure that sharing an office with my beloved and washing up in a tiny bathroom sink (oh, dishwasher, I promise endless compliments when you and stove are hooked back into my life!!) will lose its appeal after 3-4 weeks….but like the BSD life we aim for the long-run!!!

Liz….Happy to be a Charlie’s Angel if we don’t have to do the hair!!! (it was a bad look even in the 70s)

Well done on the scales moving southwards Mary, and the shrinking wardrobes all….just think how much fabric we will be saving the planet!

I bought some new PJs when I was away last week…and they’re already a little looser. It was one of those luxe shops that sold pretty underwear as well as sleepwear and I was very tempted by a gorgeous silk cami to motivate me (not a good look with the underarm flab)….but I will hold the picture in my mind and buy it online WHEN it will look good!….considering joining the gym to firm up all the bits but as I work from home, I’m worried that I won’t go…..they do a trial period, so will sign up for that

love the JFTF idea Mixnmatch…If I can get back into my bushwalking pants, that will be a great start..

wishing you all a wonder-filled and cruisy day whenever you’re awake
    xx
    erin

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Morning EC….good luck with the renos….we are hoping to have the bathroom done later this year, dreading it.

Liz, we were told that it would be very unusual for Joe to get the memory problem again, and so far so good, but he is willing to keep on trying. Bless him, what is he like? So noble, brave? What is the word I am looking for lol

It is a beautiful sunny day here, and already a little warm. I do not do well in the heat and find it difficult to exercise etc, so I am going to have a cup of tea and get half an hour in quick before it gets unbearable.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes. Have a great day.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Good evening (for me) everyone. Love the smaller size clothes ambitions and successes. I found that I had lost inches about my middle within a week or two of starting. I can only think that a lot of it was bloating so perhaps one day my reflux will go away. I have a bunch of pants that are designed to make one look a size smaller. They do help and the trick is that the front pockets are not loose but are connected to their respective side of the zipper. Enough. They stretch and now the 16s I bought a year or two ago look very loose. The new ones are tight. But I do think they might have been wrongly labelled or cheated on the fabric because having lost inches, and I know I have from other clothes, these new ones should not have been so tight.

Anyway, I can’t wear the 18s any more, they are too loose! Hooray.

Onto matters more serious. This is not a blood sugar issue, but is vital for everyone. Please get your skin professionally checked at least once a year for any possible skin cancers. Thanks to an observant colleague I pointed out a particular mole at my recent check only to have it immediately biopsies and yesterday further excised. It was caught very early but can recur in the same place and I will have to have checks every three months for probably the rest of my life.

Given yesterday’s activities, I did rather overdo the calories with sourdough cheese and capsicum X 2 for dinner followed by a hot chocolate. Came in under 1200 cals, but a long way from the 800. But each day I start afresh whatever has gone on the previous day.

Next clothes purchase will have to be new bras. The tits have been washed once too often and have now shrunk. My favourite bras didn’t go up to size 18 so have not been able to get them for some years. Perhaps this time I can buy the 16s. Other favourite place to buy bras is M&S but we don’t have that shop in Australia. Wonder what size I will be by the time I get back to the UK and go shopping there!

Girls and boys, you are all doing so well. Too many individuals to name but as always we push on and win.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys, checking back in and a lot of posts to read after my absence. Meanwhile, Crabbycams, M&S do international deliveries… Not sure of the delivery rates to Australia, but usually free if you spend oodles of money (cheaper than a flight to the UK for sure, though).

http://www.marksandspencerlondon.com/au

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Thanks Snoop. I know they do international deliveries, but I rather think I need to be fitted properly again with the upper level changes in the body. I’ll hang (haha) out as long as I can before purchasing new stuff to be sure that a) I won’t go back to the bad old ways and weighs, and b) the size and shape has done most of its changing.

And it’s a good excuse for a trip home, or at least to Hong Kong, the nearest store. Could be my major reward when I reach my goals.

on

Day 25 in the BSD house.

Managed another day on the BSD, It’s not getting any easier but I am doing my very best. One day at a time.

Is it possible that having 2 days of “over eating” has kick-started my appetite and I now have to reset it to lower calories again?

Either way I am on top of it.

Right, now it’s time for the Martha years (Doctor Who) and fingers crossed we don’t get the oncoming storm.

FFBB X

Please log in or register to post a reply.