New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shanik
    on

I’m in bed, starving. Didn’t count what I ate today as I left the phone at home. Love the sound of kazz’s menu. I have food on the brain, but at least I’ve resisted wine after a stressy day. That’s 5 dry days in a row. Will try to get to the gym tomorrow in an attempt to stay on the wagon.

Night all.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello – from a very windy place right now…!

Allie – thank you, as always. Today – I’m fasting! AND I FEEEEEEEL GOOOOOOD! dah, dah dah, dah dah, dah dadadadaaaah!

Yesterday, after investigating I went for the bubble and squeak with a poached egg on top, and a squirt of HP sauce! Yummm! For my friends across the pond, it was a round, 1 inch thick pattie and It mostly consisted of green cabbage, spinach, leek, carrot and butternut squash, salt and pepper. It was griddled both sides having been packed into a metal ring. It was to die for! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s a traditional way to use left over veg although not sure why it’s called bubble and squeak! I shall replicate over the weekend using a lot less BNS and more greens. Bread is in the bin!

Nonna Mary – I will have the same dilemma on Monday. Samosas, 2 for a ยฃ1 – all proceeds to go in the charity pot. So kind of your neighbours – what did you do? Blasted fireworks! I don’t have a dog (unfortunately) but the flaming things are going off and making ME jump onto the sofa! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s only the 20th of October! Years ago, my sister bought a pet plug in thing that is supposed to give off soothing smells and you have to start using it a week or so before… not sure if it really worked or was a con to be honest. I feel so sorry for animals at this time of year. Someone should invent doggy ear defenders of something.

Shanik – I hope you’re having a less hungry day today? Very well done on abstaining! I’m doing the same. So hoping for a walk at some point over the weekend but the weather forecast is not looking too good.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends. See you Monday ๐Ÿ™‚

Kazzappier xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, Kazzi – Your singing today made me truly laugh in delight
    when I saw it! There indeed must be something in this fasting.
    The best I can do is 18 hrs. Thank you for the description of
    bubble and squeak. I was poised and ready to head for google yet
    again, and you saved me the trouble ๐Ÿ™‚ It sounds like a very
    versatile dish. Let us know how your experimentation goes.

I guess I thought the “festival of lights” meant THAT literally,
    not world war III in the noise department! So sorry. I wouldn’t
    want to listen to that throughout the evening, either. My cats
    would be hiding out under the bed! I would be cursing a blue
    streak.

Shanik, I’m wishing you extra strength going into the weekend.
    How about working on making some soup for the coming week?
    I have just taken delivery of a week’s groceries, and I’m about
    to start on my first batch of soup for the colder months…
    Fennel, Escarole with crushed tomatoes. It sounds somewhat
    weird, I know, but we really like it. O/H claims to hate fennel,
    and even he will eat it this way. Freezes well, too!

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. Our little celebration
    had to be postponed until last night because there was a power
    outage on the 18th. Although I had forgotten the date, husband
    had not, and came home with champagne, flowers, my special
    little jar of caviar, and a beautiful piece of sea bass (my favorite!)
    which he cooked for us last evening. He really knows his way
    around the kitchen when he has the mind to. We had a wonderful
    evening, and I threw caution to the wind and had my fair share
    of the champagne, too! I felt very pampered, indeed. He’s never
    once forgotten a birthday. The very first one was when I turned
    20 years old, and he presented me with my first siamese, in the
    middle of a fraternity party at college. He had some crazy idea
    back then that my eyes reminded him of that particular breed.
    Still do, I’m told. Well, altogether enough about me.

Gear up for the weekend, my dear friends!

My love to all ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Happy Friday everyone!

First I would like to start with a Non Scales Victory! I was going to the hairdresser so decided to wear a nice top and my favourite trousers. The top is too big and the trousers have lots of room in them! So effing chuffed. Plus at the Doctors I was able to have my blood pressure taken without them hunting for the big cuff!

Shanik…I am so sorry you are hungry. Apparently, if you eat a little more fat it can cut the hunger pangs. I very rarely feel hungry even when I fast, so I can’t help any more than that. Well done on staying dry though. That is a hell of an achievement!

Allie…what a lovely birthday and a gorgeous man! Very thoughtful and knows you so well. I am pleased you had a lovely day.
    The festival of lights is just that, but celebrated with fireworks, a bit like Chinese New Year. We have Guy Fawkes Day (now called Bonfire Night) on 5th November and from now until then (and after) we have constant bombardment of fireworks. I have always said that fireworks are small bombs and as such should only be available to someone with a licence. The number of accidents triples this time of year!

Kazz… well done on the fast! I actually enjoy it. I feel good when I do it also. I love bubble and squeak…it’s supposed to be named after the noise it makes while cooking…though I have never heard it lol. I did have a samosa…it was fantastic. I have always had good “foreign” neighbours. I have lived next door to Indian, Chinese, Swedish and Phillipinos. They all thought I needed feeding (despite being almost 20 stone!) and used to regularly bring food around. Is it any wonder I am FAT? My lovely Hindu neighbours are a young couple ( A Doctor and Pharmacist). They recently had their second child and I haven’t seen him yet because of these colds!

I had an interesting time at the hairdresser which I will reveal to you in a separate post.

Have a great weekend folks.

Lots of Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I got an email from my Salon to tell me that they have a new stylist and I could have my hair cut…half price…if I booked with him. He is from Kiev in the Ukraine…Now you aren’t aware of this, but I have history with hairdressers. If I asked for straight it would be done curly…if I say short, they leave it too long etc. I don’t speak hairdresser! It is a standing joke amongst my friends.

I met this nice young man and he asked me what I wanted done.

Me…”Well, as you can see, it’s only been 6 weeks since my last cut and it just needs a trim really, with the weight taken off the back. Oh and no products please because it irritates the skin.”

Him…”You have skin condition. (scraping comb through my hair)…I can cut…you vil lyke. I vill cut heer and heer.”

Me…”gulp…ok”

I decided not to try small talk as my voice isn’t back to full strength yet, and his English is not great. I did manage to find out he has been working in this country for the last 7 years. When he wanted my head moved, he just pushed it into the direction required. So I obliged by moving my head, left, right, down, up etc. After he had cut the hair, he picked up the dryer and brush and dried it. To say he raked over my scalp is an understatement! Then he walks over to the products and puts loads through my hair. I immediately feel the burn and try to say something when he walks away! I wait and he comes back and says….”This product too steeky, gurl vil vosh.”

I gratefully submit myself to the second washing of my hair. I decline the application of a second conditioner (they charge for it).

Back in the chair, I wipe the soap suds out of my ears…he walks to the products again….again I ask him not to use them…

Him…”I vil use only small creem.” (I roll my eyes!)

After applying the cream, he picks up dryer and comb and scrapes through my scalp again. My head is now very sore! I point out to him that one side is longer than the other and he corrects this. Then back to the products, this time a wax, and some hair spray!

Him…”There iz don! You like!”

Me ..sheepishly…”thank you.”

I paid and leave. Result, sticky hair, sore scalp, but it is neat and tidy. He is one of the “top” stylists so I wont be having him do my hair again.

Next time…I will have to pay for a junior (ยฃ30), this time it cost ยฃ25…I suppose it was worth it lol

Hope you have better luck with your stylists and if you can tell me how to speak hairdresser, I would appreciate it.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ouch, Mary, your poor head!! Mine is tender just hearing your
    story. I think you must have an “ear” for accents, though. I’m
    50% Ukrainian, (mother’s side) and 50% English/Irish, so I know
    that accent from my grandparents. Nannie was pretty ruthless
    with the hairbrush, too! My grandparents landed in this country
    at the time of the Russian Revolution, after their land had been
    confiscated, @ 1915. Nannie never learned English!

Do you normally wear your hair short?

Have a great weekend…..

Allie

• posted by Shanik
    on

Managed a short session at the gym before dinner, so that’s six days dry. I’m defo up to trying a soup or two this weekend. Alas put escarole in my ocado shop and it showed me turkey things. I’m guessing it is something between endive and pak choi, which I will keep an eye out for in the local shops. I still haven’t cooked the squash so that can go in. I’ve also got some dried beans I could soak. I’ll add chorizo for fat.

I’m planning another gym session this weekend, along with a bit of walking weather permitting, so hopefully at least dry on the drink front. I haven’t seen/heard many fireworks, perhaps there will be displays at the weekend.

I have a root dyeing session at the hairdressers tomorrow. I always end up with a black ring of anti confidence on my forehead, no matter how much barrier cream is used. Other than that my hairdresser is lovely and cuts/dries really well and doesn’t charge a fortune. Mary, you could try taking a picture with you? I toyed with the idea in spain as I couldn’t begin to explain what I’d like. I’d find it hard to explain even in English. I’ve had the same sort of style for the last 20 years, but with different lengths depending on how often I get it cut. Hope your scalp recovers soon.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Happy Saturday Everyone!

Shanik, you are doing so well. I dislike the gym and have problems with my ankles, so walking isn’t always a choice for me. I use the WIii fit, when I remember. Despite having sinusitis I have managed to do a few ‘sessions’ this week. Yay me! You are certainly committed to this WOE. I loved the quip about the black ring of anti-confidence…I get exactly what you mean. In the past I have indeed taken photos to show what hairstyle I wanted. I took a photo of Judi Dench and came out with a much longer style! Changed hairdressers. Took same photo to another….came out more like Helen Mirren! Changed hairdressers….changed idea…went with a photo of Sharon Osborne…came out with a curly do! Changed again….went with a Meg Ryan photo…came out with a straight bob. One hairdresser actually said “I know you asked me to scrunch it, but as you are going out I thought I would dry it straight”. Then added…”why do I think you are going to go home and wash it again.” See if you can guess my reply. I just keep it short now because it is easier. It is actually a good cut, it was just the process that was difficult. It’s all ok now.

Allie, I do indeed have an ear for accents. I can’t replicate them, but I can identify them. I can tell a canadian from an american, which a lot of people can’t do lol. My mother was Irish with scottish ancestry and my father was dyed in the wool, peasant stock from England, despite having a germanic name. My lovely Jovis’ mother again England, but his father, Polish on the Ukraine border. I have studied, French and German and can speak neither, but when in another country I can pick up phrases and understand people quickly. It can be very useful and I enjoy doing it.

I was so well last night that I thought the antibiotics had worked their magic and I was cured. Not to be though, this morning back to square one, so dosing up with painkillers. Grandies coming around later so that will take my mind off it.

Keep going peoples.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning!

Well done on the non scales victory, Nonna Mary! These are the things that keep us going. Your poor head after the hair do! I tried on some smaller bras as mine larger ones are a bit baggy, but I’m inbetween, another month and I’ll be in the smaller ones!

Saturday weigh in was 2lb off. A total of 16 lbs now. The Friday fast probably had something to do with that. Yes, it’s not too difficult in the week. I plan to do another today.

Allie – what a lovely treat to have your dinner cooked for you. I have a great mental picture of you in my mind from your younger days at college, in the leopard print leggins! Looking very feline!

A quiet weekend really, saw my mum, brother and sister in law yesterday so was nice to catch up. Made more bubble and squeak and had that for brunch yesterday before I went out.

I’d best get a move on, so have a good day you all!

Lots of love

Kazzzzzz xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Everyone! I hope you’ve all had an enjoyable weekend. Kazz,
    you are definitely on a roll. It’s truly wonderful to read about your
    progress! I celebrate every pound with you….

My dear friends, I’m becoming concerned about some of you
    who are taking a break from posting at the moment. LeeLee,
    I share your concerns for CanadaLiz. It’s been several
    months of radio silence, and I can’t help but silently send
    strength and love “North” each time I enter this thread. Because
    I don’t “know her” I don’t think of her as our leader, but loyalty
    is a quality I deeply admire in friendships. Perhaps I have a
    different concept on what leadership is? All I know is that
    Lizzie is magnificent, and I will continue to hope that she will
    return to us very soon! Same for the rest of you lovely people.

To veer off to a totally different subject, I’m feeling ridiculously
    pleased with myself following a very productive Sunday in the
    kitchen. I roasted and lightly steamed a giant assortment of
    vegetables and judging by the size of the shallow casserole dish
    that now now occupies 1/2 a refrig. shelf, it looks like I’ve prepared
    for a dinner party of 10-12 guests! I’ve lightly steamed brussel
    sprouts and broccoli. I’ve also high temperature roasted 3 beets,
    4 large carrots, and a beautiful golden head of cauliflower. To
    maintain the integrity of each roasted vegetable, I roast each
    “subject” separately, keeping two sheet pans topped with parchment
    going simutaneously. I toss each with olive oil and sea salt and
    pepper, and when they come out of the oven I splash a bit of balsamic
    vinegar and fresh thyme on the beets, and the carrots get lemon
    juice and freshly chopped dill. For the chunks of cauliflower, I
    use red pepper flakes and sea salt prior to roasting. I don’t mix
    them all together, but leave each in a separate “pile”. Who would
    have thought such endeavors would give me so much pleasure?
    Maybe I’m becoming a simpleton? ๐Ÿ™‚ Altogether easy to do, and
    a riot of color for the eyes and tastebuds. Going to try some
    roasted fennel next time around. Oh, I also made first soup of
    the season. Fennel, tomato and escarole with chicken broth,
    cannellini beans and seasoned with a wide strip of orange zest,
    a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a large handful of chiffonaded
    basil. I would love to hear soup ideas from those living in cold
    climates!

Mary, I hope the fireworks didn’t drive you mad over the weekend!
    How is your poor, tortured scalp?

Love you all, lots.

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie

Just sneaking in quickly. I too have been wondering about Liz and hope we do hear from her again one day. If she is reading posts but doesn’t feel she can post for whatever reason, I wish she would, just so we know how she and Kev are. Her last message was quite worrying and we’ve not heard from her since. If you’re lurking Liz, big hugs to you both xx

Thank you, Allie, for your kind words – I shall keep on keeping on! Your description of all of those wonderful roast vegetables is making me absolutely DROOOOOL! Who’d have thought it. I used to drool like that over bread but I’ve gone right off that stuff!

I quite like winter, as long as it doesn’t snow (sorry guys – hate the snow!). Actually, I don’t mind as long as I’m at home and don’t have to get to work in it! Or worse still, get stranded by it before I get home from work! Anyway, I was thinking, I shall embrace this winter with this new WOE and emerge like a butterfly from it’s chrysalis next March! haha I like the sound of that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Best crack on, see you tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kazzzzzz xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hey, Kazzi, I love that you are able to sneak in a few posts from work!
    Your butterfly image is inspired. The secret image I hold (secret no
    more!) is of a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes. If I ever start a thread,
    I may have occasion to use it.

Have a wonderful day ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi all — just thought I would drop by and say that I enjoy reading your thread as you wrestle with big issues — I too wonder how your Liz is doing and how she has managed the loss of her mom — they sound like they were very close — I hope she is well — she inspired a great group of people here!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Happy Monday to all.

I have been wondering about Liz, but I also miss, Crabbycrams, FFBB, Heather, EC (I think she is with her sons), there are many, many people missing. I hope they are all faring better than me. I have been on a bender for a couple of weeks and today feel strong enough to abstain once again. If Liz were here she would be reminding me how alcohol is a bitch that sits on my back and does nothing for me. She would tell me to kick it out and shout it down! That is what I am going to do. I have done it before and I can do it again. My problem is that I enjoy it, and reading all the posts on other threads, I am not the only one. Many people sabotage themselves by having wine. I don’t want to do that any more. Liz encouraged and inspired me not to drink and I miss her so very, very much.

Kazz, you are in control of this. I am so pleased for you. I agree with you that Allie’s food sounded amazing and I too was drooling. Especially as I have fasted today! Pavlov would have a field day with me at the moment. The minute I read about food I start to salivate! I also like your Butterfly Image, and the Phoenix. I have an incredible imagination where other people are concerned, but can’t see myself any other way than I am! I will have to work on that I think.

Californiagirl, lovely to see you. I read with interest your posts about the fires. Are they out now. I feel for anyone involved, such devastation.

On a lighter note. I have been pain free today, so fingers crossed I am on the mend. Going to get my sewing machine out tomorrow and make some dungarees for my lovely granddaughter. I am so blessed to have such a lovely family.

Love to all,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, Mary, Mary – I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been having a
    struggle recently. I offer you my biggest hug, an feel that you will
    make your way thru it. It’s doubly sad that you don’t have your
    inspirational Liz here to support you. Perhaps you could revisit
    her “replies created” section to help you focus? Just a thought…
    I completely understand that we are wildly different personalities,
    and some of us will resonate more with differing individuals. I
    really miss Hello66 for example, as well as all of our delightful
    free thinking pals from down under! I only mean this in the
    most kind and gentle manner, but I have noticed some despondency
    in your recent posts, but of course did not know if it was only my
    overactive imagination. I think the phrase “bender” can also mean
    different things to different people, so you’ll have to speak in
    more detail on that. I’m a “cheap date” in that I don’t like the
    fuzzy way I feel if I attempt the third glass of wine. Jim’s health
    status could change at any time, so I feel very responsible to be
    “present” if we have an emergency to respond to. My nemesis
    is nicotine, as you know.
    Let me know how I can help, sweetheart.

Much love,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good afternoon my friends

Hi CaliforniaGirl – ๐Ÿ™‚ “waves madly”.

Nonna Mary, you’ve been feeling so awful the last couple of weeks, no wonder you’ve indulged in the demon piss! as Liz would say! ๐Ÿ™‚ I would have done the same, I’m sure! But, you are feeling on the mend by the sound of it so hopefully feeling stronger and ready to jump back on that wagon. Don’t sweat it, as they say! ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you enjoyed your fortnight off despite feeling crook? ๐Ÿ™‚

I shall be purposely jumping off my wagon this Saturday night as (my blood test is Friday so well behind me) and then I’m off to South Yorkshire to visit my bestie of 40 years and her sister and both their partners. In previous years, these little gatherings have resulted in rather a lot of music, laughter, wine and food, ciggies, sat around the table untill 5am then going to watch the sun come up over the fields (in the summer)! But, we are too old for that now and whilst it does still consist of sitting around the table, it is rather curtailed…., BSD food (got them all on it), wine spritzers (with cups of tea inbetween), (no ciggies), a bit of a decrepit shuffle type dance around the lounge – usually to New York, New York (always seems like a good idea at the time), before falling into bed, having pulled both hamstrings doing the kicks, shattered at 1am latest with hot a water bottle and bed socks to stave off the cold feet induced toe cramps! And that’s a VERY late night for me! The good news is that the clocks go back an hour, so we get a much needed extra hour in bed! Phew, it will take me a week to get over THAT late night!

Allie – I wish I was a cheap date – I love the fuzzy around the edges feeling! But, no more than that.

A question on intermittent fasting whilst I think of it – if you were to do a full day, twice per week, would you risk not getting all your vits, minerals etc the other 5 days I wonder? I guess you just have to make sure you eat plenty of the right stuff. I’ve seen on here some people do 3 days with just water. Apart from the samosa yesterday, I fasted, but I new about that samosa this morning – bloody spicy it was! Nice though.

Okay, time to go home, so catch you all tomorrow.

Lots of love
    Kazzzziiieeee xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good afternoon my lovelies,

Well what an interesting day it has been. I have cut out a pattern for my lovely granddaughters dungarees and spent time with my lovely Grandies. I have also done two back to back 24 hour fasts. I feel good. I weighed myself today and another pound has gone so that is good also.

Allie, I haven’t been despondent. I actually enjoy drinking. I rarely get hangovers (mores the pity), but enjoy the feeling of sitting with a glass watching something. I have tried fizzy water, and some cordials, but it just isn’t the same. I need someone to kick my butt and remind me it’s not doing me any good. A bender to me is just drinking every night! I know some people think it’s getting rat arsed for 24 hours.

Kazz, I don’t see the point of drinking if you don’t want the fuzziness. My favourite tipple is Cava. For me it is like drinking pop. This weekend, when you have your drink…do it mindfully…enjoy everything about it and hey staying up late is what we get to do with friends. Have a great time! Oh by the way…I take multivitamins so I know I am covered. I was aware I might not be getting everything I need.

Well, off to cook a chicken stir fry for Dinner. Lots of vegetables and lovely lean chicken. Have a good night/morning peoples!

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Delighted to be so far wrong, Mary. Thanks for setting me straight!

• posted by Shanik
    on

Evening all. After a fairly good weekend of home cooked meals including stove top porridge with almond/coconut milk, I had a cream tea with prosecco blow out on Monday. Iโ€™m hoping to claw back with excercise and scaling back on calories for the rest of the week. Hope that will be the last alcohol treat for a couple of weeks. Iโ€™ve got dinner out tomorrow but think I can avoid the wine, and a couple of drink sessions on Thursday where iโ€™m planning to drink Diet Coke or lime and soda water.

Good luck to you all. Iโ€™ll let you know how I fared on Friday.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Shanik! Due to time zone differences here in the northeast part
    of the U.S. and Australia, we are often up and about at the same
    time. Just wanted to express my genuine respect for you in sharing
    monday’s slip up with the prosecco. Social situations can be a
    challenge to us all. I realized something early on in doing 10
    months of straight forward Fast800. I remained “dry” with the
    exception of 2 holidays, when I made a well considered choice
    to enjoy the holiday with wine. Following those dates, I saw the
    scale jump 1.5lbs on each occasion, and for the remainder of
    each of those weeks the scale didn’t move at all. Obviously I’m more
    insulin resistant than most, but it was a lesson well learned for
    me. My Dr. once expressed the opinion that wine is little more than
    liquid sugar in a glass!
    Best wishes for the remainder of the week. We’re always here to
    offer support if you need it!

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazzi, a very good morning to you. You do have to get up early, don’t you?
    It was delightful to read about the get togethers of long time friends.
    You clearly can talk literally all night. Be cautious with those high
    kicks…I don’t think I could navigate them any longer without serious
    risk to my newly bony exposed pelvis, however. We used to be a
    very social couple, and I never thought twice about throwing together
    a Sunday open house for 30-40 people with minimal notice. Any
    excuse for a party would suffice, and we even had a 50 year old
    birthday party for our house! We had a wedding reception for my
    baby sister with 100 guests. However, we no longer own that
    home, and many friends have since proceeded to retirement
    communities in other parts of the country. Cherish your time
    with your friends. Celebrate!!!
    Have you received any of the books mentioned on another
    thread? I’m interested to know what you think of Gary Taubes
    book, “Why We Get Fat…And What to Do About It”. I read it in
    June 2016, and it revolutionized my thinking about food. I
    think of it as my bible for weight loss, and the beginning of
    my journey. With respect to your question about fasts and
    vitamins, I think I’d follow the recommendations in Jason Fung’s
    work, “The Obesity Code”. I’ll keep an eye out for you on this
    thread and will drop by from time to time to check on your progress.
    I’m excited to venture forth to new threads where there is greater interest
    in participation and building friendships and support for others. I
    hope to see you out there too! ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep going..You’re doing great!

Love,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, fellow BSDers

It’s a beautiful sunny morning and quite mild for the time of year – gives you a spring in your step!

Well done on the 1lb lost Nonna Mary – you’re doing just great! That’s pretty impressive, 2 x 24 hour back to back fasts! I’m doing one today and will do another on Friday. I’ve also bought some multi vitamins just as extra insurance. Yes, I’ll be mindful on Saturday night – and also, I have to drive the 2 hours home the next afternoon and it’s all motorway (freeway) which I absolutely hate! I’m a bit worried about my bestie as although she’s only 14 lbs overweight, her cholesteral is 9.7. She went back to the doc for a check up yesterday. She was put on statins at her previous visit but didn’t get any more when they ran out as they made her feel ill. So she’s told the doc she wants to follow this WOE. I shall be going up, armed with MM’s book and cookbook! She’s all for it and the doc is supportive that she try this WOE, which is good rather than pushing tablets on her.

Allie – thanks for the reminder about the books! I was wondering why the delivery was slow and then checked my Amazon orders and found them still in the basket! I’d not completed the transaction, so they are now both ordered together with a third book, Grainbrain by David Perlmutter. I am looking forward to the read! We can then discuss. I have to say, what little I have read so far with MM’s book, is such a revelation and makes so much sense! I’m confident that not only can I do this, but that I can keep it off as it is a life long WOE. Look how you’ve maintained? That’s one hell of an achievement and the hardest part I’ve always thought. I lost 90 lbs counting points 12 years ago, but all the time, I was pointing the wine and pointing the bread etc, so was always hungry. Once I got within 14 lbs of my goal, I relaxed and before I new it, 21 lbs had gone back on over Xmas and New Year. After that, I crashed off the wagon, and put it all back on. I am so much more enlightened this time around.

Shanik – well done and keep going! You are doing absolutely marvelously! You enjoyed your cream tea, but you are also well in control and able to get back to it straight away, which is what it’s all about I think.

Have a good day/evening you lovely lot!

Kazzzii xxx

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Hello dear friends’
    I return with head held high, I am still Sober in October. I have had two deviations, a glass of bubbles at my Boarding school reunion on 12th, and at a 50th on the 22nd.

Boarding school is a school that provides residential accommodation to its students on the same premises as the school usually. This is a common feature in Western Australia, as secondary education has been far and few between as the state is largely sparsely populated. It is common place for students who reside in rural/remote areas, who live on farms/ stations or towns to attend boarding school as the only real opportunity to attend high school.
    I left home on the farm in aged 12, in 1980 to go to live during the school terms at an all girls boarding school.
    The girls I met there have become life long friends as we all grew up together, facing challenges of adolescent development and socialisation away from our parents, while being under the challenging loco parentis of catholic nuns.

I have been absent, not from this lifestyle change, but pretty much off line, except for food logging on Calorie King.
    I previously mentioned I had family court upcoming. Well that was last Tuesday 17th. Not that I need to explain my absence, but that has been why.
    Stressing about court, preparation pre, and the fall out and activity associated appointments etc post; related with wrapping up finances/ legal blah and instituting changes etc while continuing to work and parent. I am doing visit daily visits/ washing collection etc for an older family friend who has been hospitalised for bilateral knee replacements. He is away from his home, wife and family, having needed to travel to the city for the operation, they live 4 1/12 hours by car north of Perth.

I have also had a couple of days here and there of being physically unwell So with all that I have been completely self absorbed.

I confess to eating 1/4 of a slab baked ricotta cheesecake, after getting home from court last Tuesday; I also had a lovely mixed berry sponge gateau with white chocolate and cream at the 50th on Sunday, heck after my bubbles and cake it was a write off of a day calorically so I topped it off and I had fish n chips with 2 squid rings for dinner. So surprisingly the scales crept up by 2kg. Which I am back in control of my emotions that saw the blow outs. And am back losing again.
    I regret I have not read any preceding posts, so am right out of touch. I hope you are all doing well. I hope to return to be a more regular contributor. I will be a bit here n there for a bit while I tend to all I need to. I’m on now because I had to have a day off, a night of billiousness, and abdominal discomfort which persisted into this morning. So I have slept away most of the day, after disrupted and delayed sleep yesterday. I wasn’t sure if it was my pork chop was dodgy or oven the roasted kale, or hospital bugs. I’m pretty good at hand washing though… ahh well.

I did have a win though in my time away, I have done two 13.5 km bike rides since Saturday after replacing a bike tube, and some minor adjustments to the bike I salvaged off the kerbside rubbish collection this time last year!
    So 10yr old and have done 2 huuuge rides, and another booked in for tomorrow.

Well dear champions of the BSD

I’m off for now. Will catch up on all the missed posts. Much love and care to you all xxxooo

SRP

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Searchingrockpools, it is soooo gooood to hear from you. I am glad you enjoyed your reunion and thank you for the explanation. I do think you are being a little hard on yourself though. “So with all that I have been completely self absorbed.” Bloody effin hell, you are nowhere near self absorbed! You have so much going on, its a wonder you are in one piece. You are being torn hither and thither. I admire your strength and look forward to seeing you on here when you can make it. Bloody well done on the bike rides too! I bet your 10 yr old loved it. I miss riding my bike, but I can’t get a comfy saddle. lol

I have just taken Allies advice and re-read some of the earlier posts on this thread. I was surprised to see how many people we have lost from CanadaLiz’s Army. I have listed their names below. If you are just reading and not posting, just pop in and say hi. I am interested in how you are getting on. Particularly you Fattyfattyboombooms. You started your new job and disappeared! Some of you are still posting on other threads and if I have included you, I apologise. Also, I only got to page 6, so if I neglected you, again I apologise, but it doesn’t mean I don’t want to know how you are doing.

Shanik, keep going. You are doing so well.
    Kazz, lovely weather I agree. I hope your friend gets sorted soon. I am so against statins! My poor Jovis was on statins for 20 years, never went above 5 when tested. Then had a build up of cholesterol in his neck that nearly killed him. Then a mild heart attack. So the statins didn’t help him!

List of absentees….Inka13, Patsy, Slimsylv, Leeleecheechee, Crabbycams, Julesmaigret, Madmare, Newleafat56, Lucyjane, Optimist, Pod, Shrinkingvoilet, pancita, Bigeater, AngelaM, KrysiaD, Oimadam, Luckylinda, Vix26, Dumptynomore, Jenni from the block, Alexisastral, Julia18togo, Katrenaj, Snoop, Madmare, CANADALIZ…..as I say, I know some of you post on other threads, so please don’t be offended by my listing you here. It was too much work to research everyone!

Right off for now. See you later peeps.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

A quick pop in….
    Searchingrockpool – absolutely agree with Nonna Mary – give yourself a break and be kind to yourself! ๐Ÿ™‚ It is SOOOOO lovely to see you back. Superb on the bike riding – well done! No worries, just pop in when you can.

Nonna Mary – I know, that’s why she doesn’t want to take statins. Seems she may be unlucky with hereditary high cholesterol but hopefully it can be improved enough by diet to avoid pills…. we hope.

See you tomorrow!
    xxx

• posted by solange
    on

Hi all, I have only posted on here once before but I have been lurking! I have finally cut the wine out (for now at least). What a blessing. It had got to be too much of a daily habit. I can’t say I feel a lot better though!! As for the cigs, well without the wine the consumption has dropped alarming. I am hoping to give them the heave ho very soon.
    I too wonder what has happened to Liz. She was my inspiration when I first read her post on here, although I must say you are ALL inspiring.
    Hoping now to lose the last few pounds to target.

xx Bev

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Solange, good to see you. I wish I could say I had stopped drinking again. I manage a day then do it again! Madness! Well done on your achievement. The cigs will go too eventually. I am the other way around. No fags, but booze! Keep going.

Much love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

SRP – Life has been crazy for you of late! Being a single parent,
    in addition to having a job can’t be easy. I’m glad that
    the court date is behind you. Mostly, I’m very happy to hear your
    voice again, and look forward to more of your replies when you
    get caught up. I don’t see you as the least bit self absorbed,
    however ๐Ÿ™‚ Helping out a family friend stranded in hospital on
    top of all your other responsibilities, as well as valuing the friends
    you have made here, tells me quite the opposite! I can now take
    the worry bead with your name on it off the string! See you soon.

Hi Solange, the warmest of welcomes to you. Great work on
    tossing out the wine. I struggle on with a nicotine habit also.
    None of my friends understand how I managed to lose 146 lbs,
    yet can’t be as successful at this. I don’t understand it either,
    so I have no answers to the question. If you figure it out, I’ll
    be anxious to hear your solution. Keep posting!

Have a great day, all.

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by Inka13
    on

Nonna Mary,
    I’m still here! I read the forums every day and so many days it has been the thing to get me bsding for the day when I’m wavering! I’ve had a few too many carb and wine slip ups to have anything positive to post but now, having put on about 6 pounds again I’m trying hard to get back on track, though it’s like a week on, a week off and it’s driving me crazy!! Still trying though… xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lovely to hear from you Inka13. I too have had many, many wine slip ups, although, I am still losing, but only a pound at a time. Sometimes it is easier than others not to drink. Liz gave me the encouragement to stop and I miss it. I suppose the only thing we can do is keep trying. Thanks for popping in.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning !

Inka, good to see you! I think we will always have little slip ups here and there, life will get in the way sometimes, but I hope that with this WOE becoming ingrained in us, that we can climb back on that wagon quickly and tread water for awhile, when necessary, whilst we gather ourselves for another push. I’m convinced that these forums are invaluable for help and support and far better than going to get weighed at a slimming club each week. I’ve just written that so when I have a wobble, I can look back at my own post for that prod! Plus I know I know I’ll also get a kind prod from my friends on here which will always be very welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fasted all day yesterday, but by the time I got home, I had to have some dinner. I was really hungry yesterday, perhaps because I was pretty much awake from 3.30am! So feeling tired all day. So, I will have another go today of an all day fast. I slept well last night and only woke twice and turned over and back to sleep.

Catch you all later
    Kazzzz xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

A lb. is a lb., Mary, and every one counts!

Solange, how are you doing today?

My friends, today began with a big jolt to my nerves. I filled
    the coffee maker per usual at 5:30 a.m. and stumbled back to
    bed to wait, turned on my laptop to see what I had missed
    overnight on this wonderful forum. Very loud groaning, hissing
    and belching noises were emanating from the kitchen! I
    sprinted out there (yes, I can do that now) only to find a geyser
    like stream of water/steam shooting forth from the water reservoir,
    pouring down the sides and engulfing the entire counter with
    10 cups of water, not to mention that the electrical cord was
    now submerged. I put on a potholder (God knows why I
    thought that would protect me from electricution) and pulled
    the plug. All went silent. Not even a half cup of coffee was
    to be had. I really need to learn how to appreciate tea!
    I hope everyone else has a day with less fanfare.

Wishing you a great one…

Allie

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi lovely ladies
    I would like to come back โ€“ shaken and stirred
    I have been AWOL for a while. I have been reading your posts but needed to take some time off.
    I went on holiday in September and whilst on the beach listening to the waves (one of my favourite sounds) I realised I needed to get to the bottom of WHY I self-sabotage all the time. I do really well on the weight loss and then at weekends (and not only weekends!) I crack open the wine bottle so all my hard work on the weight loss disappears. I then beat myself up and go back on the merry-go-round.
    I have had to face some uncomfortable truths about myself and my relationships with those around me. At my worst point a very good friend who has gone through similar troubles (though her poison of choice was cake rather than alcohol) gave me some excellent advice โ€“ You canโ€™t change other people but you can change yourself. You need to put yourself first, you need to treat yourself properly and give yourself a chance and a treat.
    I would like to come back I have missed you all but I have been too ashamed of my yo-yo weight loss to even post.
    Itโ€™s been five days without alcohol. Its pathetic I know, but this is the longest period for about 10 years that I have abstained. I know I have a long, long way to go but this is the first baby step to climb a mountain. I remember what you said Allie about having to be sober for a year before you can say you are no longer an alcoholic but this time it feels different. I will drink, but I am going to be sensible. We are going to visit old friends on Saturday and staying so I am going to be vigilant and keep Al at arms length โ€“ 2 glasses of Prosecco and thatโ€™s it!
    The positives are that I have lost 4lbs this week and am sleeping like a baby!
    My helper is alcohol free lager! I have always liked lager but stopped drinking It years ago because of the high sugar and calorie count. My favourite is Heineken zero โ€“ it tastes so good, I would not know its alcohol free. The two bottles a night add an additional 140 calories a day but I can live with that. Interestingly the two bottles amount to 660 ml and a bottle of wine (my usual consumption) is 700ml. Is it the volume that I am craving?
    Nonna Mary, I have been reading your recent posts and I so empathise with you. Like you I like the taste of wine, like you I donโ€™t get hangovers unless I drink to excess (more than a bottle and a half) and once the third glass goes down I have no chance of stopping. That being said, I have felt better than I have in years.
    Finally my head seems to be in the right place.
    Enough about me โ€“ how is everyone else?
    I too miss our beloved Liz, I hope that she and Kev are coping and we will get one of her inimitable posts. If you are reading this Liz take all the time you need โ€“ itโ€™s a long and rocky road.
    Love to you all
    Madmare

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Welcome Back Madmare, You have been missed!

You and I have a love/hate relationship with wine. I know I can’t do the one glass technique. I have to abstain completely. At the moment I am finding it hard to do that. You are right that it is all in the mind though. I am going to try a new technique tonight and will let you know tomorrow how I got on. Five days is 5 more than I can manage at the moment! To think I was going weeks before (with the support of Liz). My liver really needs a rest! Please don’t be ashamed. You are not alone…you are HUMAN. (you are aren’t you?) I might try your alcohol free lager. Not really a lager drinker, but if it helps! Keep on trucking!

Allie, thank goodness you weren’t injured. Faulty electrics are so scary. Have you any idea what caused it? I love a good coffee and my daughter recently gave me her coffee machine, but, it makes such a huge amount and is so big, I haven’t used it. You are absolutely right a pound is a pound and it is in the right direction! Think how much I could lose if I don’t drink. Although saying that it didn’t make a difference early on in this WOL.

Kazz, you are really getting into this fasting now. I have done it again today. Now as long as I don’t drink tonight I will be fine!

Lots of love to everyone,
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Madmare, Mary and I are overjoyed to hear from you! ๐Ÿ™‚ Please
    stop feeling ashamed..It’s not a good emotion. Step forward, so
    I can give you a hug, recruit. Every day is a victory, and 5 is even
    better! It sounds like your trip to the beach was helpful, and
    you have a very wise friend to tell you that you have no control
    over anyone but yourself. That’s a lesson I have to keep relearning
    over and over, sorry to say. Always a work in progress, right?.
    I think I remember what we were discussing about the Alcoholic
    Anonymous Program in the States. It’s that true sobriety takes
    usually a year to achieve even with abstention from alcohol.
    This group believes that if you are an alcoholic, you will always
    be one, and cannot ever drink again. I believe there is another
    program with the name “Rational Recovery” that allows for
    responsible drinking in the future, but I could have the name of
    it wrong. AA has helped a lot of suffering people since about
    the 1940’s.when it was formed. If I confused you, I’m sorry!
    One day can turn into a week, and a week into a month. Just
    focus on one day at a time ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to have you home!

Allie

• posted by solange
    on

Nonna and Allie, so many thanks for the warm welcome. After 2 days no alcohol guess what slipped into my supermarket trolley yesterday in the wine aisle? Yes, I drank it and very nice it was too but what a criminal waste of 600 calories! Today is another day though and although it’s the weekend I shall resist. Thank heavens there are no local shops to tempt me! As for the cigs Allie…….could be called a work in progress too. How to break a habit of 50 years?????
    Love to all
    x Bev

• posted by solange
    on

Madmare, just read through your post again. It could be me writing that if I were more eloquent. Thank you for sharing your thoughts it has really hit the mark with me.
    This forum is just brilliant as I no longer feel so alone!
    Love x Bev

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good Friday everyone….or Saturday for those who are ahead of me!

To all regulars here, each of us face our own demons. I can make any excuse to take a drink. Someone else would use the same excuse for a biscuit or chocolate, or a cigarette. If I am brutally honest with myself, as I was last night, I don’t really want a drink. What I wanted was what went with it, crisps, scratchings, basically…salt or spice. As I had calories left I had a few olives with 10g of cheese. It was good. However, I am already thinking of excuses to drink tonight. After all, it is Friday…there is an A in Friday….I enjoy starting the weekend with a drink…the tv progs are good (I watch a NZ prog called Brokenwood…excellent)…I will be shopping for a baby car seat (stressful?)…the biggest excuse of all….I DESERVE IT….no I don’t….I deserve NOT too! My liver deserves a rest….I deserve not to gain weight…I deserve to feel better…I deserve to not have the dump feeling tomorrow…I deserve to be here as my grandchildren grow up…I deserve to grow older with my lovely Jovis….there are a thousand reasons! My reason for writing this, is so that I can re-read it later and remember not to drink. Meanwhile, I hope it helps anyone else also.

On a plus side. I did another 24 hour fast yesterday and feel on the way to doing it again today.

Take strength from me people and I will in turn take strength from you. There is strength in numbers and we are numerous. Be kind to yourselves and remember you are in control and important!

Solange…so you had a slip up…climb back on the wagon and whip the horses. Good luck. I can feel my resolve weakening already.

Calling, on Heather44, Hello66, onetowatch, dumptynomore, fattyfattyboombooms, EC, LeeLee….call in and say hello! We miss you!

Love to all,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Nonna Mary – I SOOO hear you! I have given myself permission to have one bottle of wine a week – at the weekend – Fri or Sat depending on what is happening. Otherwise, it makes me bloody miserable and fed up if I’m totally honest! It’s a mental thing with me. If I think I can’t have it, then I’ll crave it and obsess! If I get to Fri or Sat and think I can go without, then I will. That makes me happy and positive. Would that work for you? Meanwhile, you’re going great guns with the 24 hour fasts – I’m really impressed! I was hoping to do the same but we had an impromptu team lunch – I had a small simple salad of spinach leaves, grated carrot and two sliced boiled eggs, and a small squirt of salad cream! It was hand cooked fish and chip Friday or scampi with all the gubbins! Plus loads of Halloween cakes, and gingerbread! I wasn’t even tempted, and I really enjoyed my salad as everyone sat around me scoffing fish and chips! I prefer raw spinach leaves to lettuce any day!

I had the blood test done this morning to check for coeliac and 2nd liver function. I have a call booked in to speak with the doc on Sat 11 Nov. I shall ring the health centre next week and see if they can tell me what the results are before I speak to the doc as I really would like to know as soon as possible.

Madmare – welcome back. ๐Ÿ™‚ It is so good to see you again! Don’t worry, just one day at a time. The main thing is that you are back! It was such a relief when I found this thread 10 weeks ago. I was so down back then, full of despair. Then reading everyone’s posts, yours included, helped me so much – a life line and I clung on for grim death and haven’t looked back since. ๐Ÿ™‚ So, come on, sister, hang on to our arms, and as Liz would say, lets haul ass! ๐Ÿ™‚ A superb re-start with 4 lbs off already!

Good luck for all Saturday weigh ins, I’ll post my results Monday or tomorrow morning if I get chance. I may have a Tuesday WI just because it’s the last day of October and I’m doing the October challenge.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, lots of love

Kazzzeee xxxxxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

OH, and I meant to say, Allie – I can’t believe you thought oven gloves would protect you from water and electricity! Thank goodness all is okay! Does this mean you can treat yourself to a new super douper coffee maker? ! A silver lining? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, my lovelies, I’m feeling an extra layer of joy today to see
    such encouraging posts as we finish up the week!

Mary, you do indeed “deserve” all those things, and more. I do
    remember when you shared similar thoughts a while back, and
    I’m happy to see you returning to them. How did the sweet little
    pair of jeans for your granddaughter turn out?

Kazz, I dull witted am I first thing in the morning?! I think the
    point is that I wasn’t thinking at all ๐Ÿ™‚ I need coffee “onboard”
    to be expected to do that! Will definitely be shopping for a new
    coffeemaker this weekend. The old relic we had been using
    simply died of old age. I’m hoping to find one with a timer so
    that I don’t have to get out of bed til coffee is made. Now, how
    slothful is that? Enjoy your weekend with friends. If you feel
    the need to dance, try to keep both feet on the floor! ๐Ÿ™‚ By the
    way, do you realize that you’ve reduced your wine consumption
    from the worst old days by 90%? Your liver tests should look
    great! Let us know when you get the results. It would drive me
    nuts to wait 2 weeks for them.

I’m off to get in a walk on this gorgeous autumn day. Wishing
    everyone a happy weekend!

Lots of love,

Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hey Allie, do I remember correctly that you’re in CT? Because I happen to be there too and would love to meet up for a cup of black coffee and to loftily ignore all the many, many terrible food offerings that will certainly be available. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by alliecat
    on

Esnecca, yes, I do live in CT. It would be beyond fantastic to meet
    up with you! ๐Ÿ™‚ How long are you here for? I live in the middle of
    the state, but would be happy to travel in any direction. I grew
    up in Darien and know that town well, also. Where are you staying?
    I’m genuinely excited at the prospect of meeting you. I’ll keep
    checking this thread! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Wonderful! Finally a couple of US-based BSDers get to meet in person, and extreme weight loss twinsies, no less. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m down south in New London and carless at the moment, so if you wouldn’t mind trundling here we could have a lovely coffee or even lunch at one of a number of neat places. Weather permitting, we could sit out on the waterfront and enjoy the beautiful view of the Thames and Long Island Sound. Email me and we’ll firm up date and time. I’m esnecca8 at gmail dot com.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Saturday, my friends

Just popping in quickly to post another 1 lb off. That’s 17 lbs so far – another 90 lbs to go! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll see you all Monday, meanwhile, have a wonderful weekend wherever you are.

Kazzzzz xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

A very happy Saturday to everyone.

Today I weighed myself and I have gained a pound. I abstained from alcohol for the last two nights, my carbs were below 20 and my calories below 800.

HOWEVER, HOWEVER, HOWEVER, OMG OMG OMG (Channelling Sheldon Cooper here). I bought a coat that is a size smaller than before AND….AND….AND…. The zip starts at the top of the thigh…AND I COULD DO IT UP!!! Plus I was wearing a heavy cardigan at the time! Previously, the top of the arms were too small for me! Now I have a new wool blend ‘posh’ coat! I am so pleased. I was walking around the shop with Jovis saying “OH MY GOD!” (Now channelling Janice out of friends).

Back to being me. Remember even if the scales say nothing, there is something going on somewhere!

I hope you are all as happy as me today. Have a really, really GREAT weekend.

Lots of Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Madmare, I had one of your Heineken 0, alcohol free lagers last night. A hefty 12 carbs, but it was palatable and filled the glass so to speak. Thanks for the tip!

Kazz, enjoy your weekend. You have done so well. Brilliant losses.

Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Esnecca, I’ve had some problems with my internet connection over
    the past 24 hrs., but I sent you my phone number at the email
    address you listed. This is just an insurance policy if you didn’t
    receive it. Contact me here, and I shall send it again!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I haven’t received your email, Allie. I checked my spam folder just in case and it wasn’t there either. Looks like your iffy connection swallowed it up. Can you try again when your connection stabilizes or from a coffee shop or something? I’ll be here for a while so there’s no clock ticking.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hell’s bells Esnecca, you don’t get to be where we are without a
    big dose of stubborness, and I WILL NOT be thwarted by technology!
    I checked, and my email wasn’t “undeliverable”. I sent it at around
    11:30am sat. morning, using this address esnecca8@gmail.com
    I’m going to resend it. However, here’s ours: jelewis35@comcast.net
    If I have to put my phone number on this public forum, I’d consider
    that too! As I say, I AM stubborn…
    I didn’t make an error with your email address, did I? I am somewhat
    of a techno-dolt. Completely right brained, am I.

Please log in or register to post a reply.