New life at 60

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by rhodawillowherb
    on

I started the diet on Thursday 6th, got prepared, did all my shopping, wrote out my meals for the week and pinned it to the fridge, and all went fantastically well. I lost 7lbs in the first week. I need to lose about 5 stone altogether so I was feeling optimistic.
    Week 2: Not finding it too difficult until I weighed myself, not lost a single ounce. That really knocked me back. All the cravings for bread and mashed potato suddenly resurfaced. I was determined to keep going but something obviously went wrong cos by the end of the week I’d put on 2lbs! Didn’t go massively off track but just the extra bit of Feta cheese and a couple of slices of bread made the difference. Also started having a coffee with milk in the mornings, I needed it.

I started the diet because I’m clinically obese (!?!) at 5 stone overweight and I hate looking in the mirror. I’m not diabetic but I do have hypertension and all my fat is round my middle. I was watching a program on TV about the Japanese artist Hokusai, and according to the Japanese, your first life lasts 60 years, and then you start a new one. Being in my 61st year I thought what a perfect time to start a diet, I’m also taking a break from work for 8 weeks so perfect timing, I’ll have time to cook proper food.

Unfortunately, cooking isn’t one of my favourite things, I’m not very adventurous with food, and I live on my own so buying fresh food in small enough quantities is difficult. I started the 2nd week by trying to organise my menu around what was left in the fridge, I hate wasting food so I was eating things that I’d tried in the first week but actually didn’t really like – who invented celeriac mash – I used to love Fish Pie. Also I like my food wet and there aren’t a lot of recipes with sauces.

Week 3: Still not lost any more weight, stuck at minus 5 lbs. Last night I made a 30 mile round trip to get a bar of chocolate, now that is just stupid, I thought this morning. This is just you feeling sorry for yourself. Get a grip, and make it work. So, I’ve decided that rather than trying to cook and eat food that I don’t actually like, I will just make shakes or eggs for breakfast, I love soup so I will have homemade soup for lunch, and pick out some simple recipes that I do like for my evening meal.

I envy all you who have willpower.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Dont worry, it will come if you are truly sticking to it. It is called a whoosh moment. After a big loss of 6lbs your body needs to adjust and will try to store fat just in case you are not going to be getting enough food. Stick with the diet and when your body recognises the new regime you will start to lose again. This is not the time to give up and try to stay away from the bread. Remember you have a perfect 8 weeks to fit this in, you will not regret it. By the way, I am 64.

• posted by Smaus
    on

Hello Rhoda Willowherb!

Please keep the faith – I think that you will get there. Try if at all possible to look at your weight loss in the round rather than week by week – 5 lbs over 3 weeks is good going – so try to hold on to that when you are weakening.

Like you I had 5st to lose when I started out at the end of March, but no blood sugar issues that I was aware of. Like you I had a good 8 week period to have a serious crack at the Fast 800. I really focussed for the 8 weeks averaging around 950 calories and 50g of carbohydrate (albeit with some slip ups along the way; but calculated and measured slip ups). For the last 10 weeks I’ve been around 1200 calories and 100g of carbohydrate. I am over 3 st lighter than I was in April and have ordered some size 14 jeans to keep me honest for the next 2 st! I am no saint. I am someone who can wilfully plough through bags of crisps and chocolate, but for some reason I have been in the right frame of mind to persevere. Next time you are tempted to make the 30 mile trip for chocolate, try to find something to ask yourself that just gives you pause for thought – maybe “what would the Japanese do?” !! or find something chocolatey that scratches the itch but in a less damaging way? I have at times made a sort of skinny hot chocolate with cocoa, water and a touch of coconut oil – not great but it worked. However, I am with you and if you are feeling wilful you will get in the car and get that chocolate, dammit! Just don’t let it derail you. Count it in to your week’s calories and move on.

I think that the eggs for breakfast, soup for lunch plan is a sound one. I found that eggs in the morning/or brunch-isn have really helped from a “satiation” perspective. Egg “muffins” are a good portable alternative – basically omelette mix baked in a muffin pan. As regards evening meals, I understand your frustrations. Most of my evening meals now are variations on a theme of chicken breast (from frozen bag) or fish fillet with flavouring (pesto, asian spices, chorizo/peppers) or something stir fried (pork or beef strips) and either asian-ey or stroganoff-ish. No real cooking required and no small measures of funny ingredients. Add to that some frozen green veg and you’ll be sorted with minimum fuss.

It sounds as if you are 90% of the way there, please keep going – it can be done!

Smaus

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Dear Willow, You say you envy those with willpower? How much willpower did it take to drive a 30 mile round trip. I wouldn’t have done it, I couldn’t be arsed. You showed you have the power, you just need to re-direct it.
    I know how you feel re the weight loss. I have been following this plan for 4 weeks, the first week 6 pounds, the next three 1 pound a week and no budge from the inches. However, I KNOW, that eventually it has to come off, so I will persevere.
    If you are not into cooking each night. Make a batch of foods you do like and freeze them. I made my own minestrone, stews, vegetable bakes. Then I know how many calories and I don’t have to keep cooking. It also helps to plan and keep a record of everything you like. I am not a fan of celeriac mash, but my husband likes it. However I like cauli rice and he doesn’t.
    It is not an easy way of life, but then, what is. You can do this.
    Best wishes,

Mary xxx

• posted by Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    on

Life is too short to eat food you don’t like – bin everything yuck. It would be more of a waste to eat it, not be able to stick to the plan and then need to eat the nice stuff the next week.

You’re doing brilliantly.

Please log in or register to post a reply.