New, just started

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

I’m 60 years old and have lost nearly 5 stone over 7 years with weight watchers. I want to loose another stone. This will take me to a healthy weight and a bmi if 23. I’ve been seriously addicted to sugar – cake, biscuits and chocolate for ages now. It’s held a real hold on me which I hate. I’ve just been diagnosed borderline prediabetic, big shock. Having said that, this is just the kick up the pants I need! I’ve got the 8 week bsd, and the recipe book, both of which are fantastic
    I have a couple of questions.
    I’ve been looking at ice cream. There is Franks diabetic one which has a sugar content of 13.8% as compared with Breyers at 5.8% Can anyone clarify for me please which is the best one? My instinct is to go for the Breyers, I’m confused as the Franks is specially for diabetics.
    Also, is it ok to eat wholewheat pasta, and wholegrain rice? I’m not having white versions or potatoes.
    TIA

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi, Lynnedb

I was a chocolate/cake junkie too. I’ve been doing the BSD for just over six months now and I have that properly under control. It does take a bit of time, and you’ll likely have the odd relapse, but it’s worth persevering. It feels great to be in control of what you eat, rather than ruled by unhealthy cravings.

Sorry, but ice cream, even the diabetic types, and any kind of pasta don’t fit into this diet. You might find you can have some once you move into the maintenance phase (I make my own, refined sugar free, ice cream) but it’s best to avoid them in the weight loss phase. Small quantities of brown/wholegrain rice are OK.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, Squidge! Can it really be possible that you’ve been here with us for 6 months already? 🙂
    I do have to respectfully disagree about the brown carbs, though. They spike insulin only slightly less than
    the bad white ones. Lynnedb, cauliflower rice is a good substitute. Welcome to the community! Every
    success to you 🙂

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

Yes, I started at the start of the year – and I’m so glad I did.

I know brown pasta, bread, flour etc are not a lot better than the white kinds. I thought rice was better? Of course the cauliflower kind is even better than that, if you like it. (I’m cauliflower phobic so can’t bring myself to reccomend it, much less eat it!)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, Squidge! You are in good company with the cauliflower phobia 🙂 My little trick is to mix some pesto into
    it, or chermoula!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Allie, in the recipe book it’s suggested brown rice is cooked, chilled and then reheated. It’s GI is reduced as it’s become a resistant starch.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Maggie! I do remember reading about resistant starch some time ago..I think we should find a link
    for the troops 🙂

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading about RS. If pasta or rice are cooked, cooled overnight and then eaten (hot or cold) some of the carbs then act like fibre, rather than the type of carbs we’re trying to avoid. Not all of it though – nor even most of it from what I can gather. If a person is going to eat pasta anyway, then doing this makes it a bit better, but it doesn’t turn it into a low carb food.

• posted by zinny
    on

Welcome Lynn and well done on your big weight loss. The above posters are far advanced on the BSD and know much more than I do about this way of eating, but I wil say this, it’s a great way to lose lbs although I’m sure that you will find some of the things quite different to what weight watchers advise.
    All the best to you and give the BSD a go, I’m so glad I did.

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thank you for your reply Squidge, it’s so heartening to read you were also a cake/chocolate junkie too! I’ve found it quite embarrassing, and isn’t something I would be happy for people to know. It’s like, ‘but you’re an intelligent adult, how on earth can you possibly be addicted to sugar?’ Felt like a complete failure every time I succumbed.
    So far so good, day 5 today 😊

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thanks Zinny. How long have you been following the bsd?

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thank you everyone for all your supportive posts 👍

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Hi all, well I’ve officially completed my first week on bsd! I am thrilled because I really love it, I enjoy all the food it’s not only very healthy it’s tastes flipping fantastic too! So I’m having a ball while getting healthy, what’s not to love!?
    I honestly haven’t missed the carbs or sugary stuff. In fact I feel quite relieved
    I’ve had to check, and check again, because I couldn’t believe it my weight loss is 7lbs 10oz, in one week 😍. I feel better than I have for many many years. I haven’t got more energy yet, it’s too hot!
    Thought I’d just tell folks about my evening meal today. I made the stir fry beef with asparagus & sesame seeds, out of the recipe book. It was so very tasty, and plenty to eat. I did it with cauliflower rice, as suggested and still feel comfortably full at 11pm.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Oh, well done, Lynne. Very good start, and it’s fantastic that you’re enjoying the food and feel so good.

The hot weather is rather tiring, isn’t it? On the plus side, I find it much easier to eat lighter meals and drink lots of water.

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thanks squidge x

Please log in or register to post a reply.