New here and hopeful.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kesheen
    on

Hi everyone, I have just registered and thought I would introduce myself. I have very recently discovered that I am pre- diabetic and have decided to do this diet in the hope to reverse this and ideally change my diet completely for life. I am surprised to see topics on challenges , do you finish the 8 weeks first? And encouraged to see a maintenance mentioned. I started the diet from the book last week and am thoroughly enjoying it. I look forward to learning a lot more on living my life this way and any tips would be helpful.

• posted by InTheHeartOfADyingStar
    on

Hi kesheen, I’m planning on starting this diet tomorrow…how have you found this first week? Have you been hungry?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Kesheen— welcome to the forums! Just dive in anywhere — there are a lot of wonderful and supportive people here. It sounds like you have made a good start! Despite the challenges, I would recommend just calmly and in a focused state work on the first 8 weeks. After that you might want to join a challenge — but don’t over-stress right now— just start and keep on it as best as possible for the 8 weeks.
    You don’t have to be perfect. If you mess up, just start again.
    There is power in just starting again.

• posted by zinny
    on

Well done on starting the blood sugar diet. Loads of support on here. My tip, as was given to me when I first started, keep drinking the water!
    Good luck, let us know how you go.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Kesheen – I weigh all my food using a small set of digital kitchen scales and use fatsecret.co.uk to keep track of how many cals, carbs etc I’ve had each day. I also have a notebook where I record my progress, my weight, BMI, BP, body measurements and different things I’ve learnt from others on the Forum, reading about diabetes etc.

This diet is fantastic for those of us who are diabetic and pre-diabetic; from being high on diagnosis as Type II my blood sugars are now back in the normal range. There are lots of stories of people who have done it on here. Sounds like you’ve made a great start.

As californiagirl says, join in or ask questions wherever you want – you’ll be welcome.

Good luck, and to you too, InTheHeartOfADyingStar. xx

• posted by Kesheen
    on

HI InTheHeartOfADyingStar, thank you for replying,have you started today as planned? I haven’ t had a problem with feeling hungry this past week. To be fair I don’t usually eat large portions but I have found the food in the diet to be quite satisfying.I look forward to each new day to see what I will be having. There is quite a variety of meals and I find them quite tasty. 🙂 I hope you discover this for yourself.

• posted by Kesheen
    on

Hi zingy, thank you for your reply, I will keep drinking the water, I have been drinking mostly water for some years now and prefer a mug of boiled water over cold water. Each morning I have a mug of boiled water with a slice of lemon and a slice of ginger root left for a few minutes.

• posted by Kesheen
    on

HI Californiagirl- thank you for replying and for your advice on starting and staying focused and also ‘just start again if I mess up, I am sure there will be those moments. How long have you been on this way of eating?How long is it since you did the 8 weeks?

• posted by Kesheen
    on

Hi Marie123, thank you for replying. How do you find using fat secret.co.uk ? I was getting a bit frustrated with it last week, perhaps I should persevere.I will consider keeping a record. It seems to have been a great help to you. Congratulations on having your blood sugars back in the normal range. How much do you increase your diet by when you go into maintenance mode?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Kesheen! I started in March 2016 and reached my goal (about 4 stones or 50 pounds) in July 2016. Since then, I’m just maintaining (two years!)
    I stay strictly low carb (30-40 grams per day) but I don’t count calories any more. This works perfectly for me and I no longer fight my body — we are friends now and I feel feel as though I got my life back.
    I do eat some carbs in excess now and then (maybe I have pizza once a month) and I reward my big hikes (love hiking) with a beer. But these are only when I “earn” them and not very often.
    Honestly, this way of eating sets you free. You are going to amaze yourself — this is going to change your life.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    I use fatsecret, I found it really helpful particularly when I started out. I really needed the discipline of weighing and logging everything I ate to get an idea on the carbs. – Without it I am sure I would have made inaccurate assumptions. 🙂 As time has gone on and I have a set range of meals that I tend to have often I don’t use it as much.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Kesheen I use sparkpeople.com to track carbs etc. Not sure how it compares to fatsecret. You can set your own carb range (though it insists on 1000+ calories, so you need to ignore the tellings-off!). Although the database tends to churn out info for processed food, it is easy to add your own favourites, using the nutrition labels etc and I usually can find what I need to log by scrolling down or using my recent/favourite entries.

• posted by FitForForty
    on

Hi everyone
    I’m also new, started the diet yesterday and found it ok, although it’s a bit harder today! I think my biggest challenge is going to be keeping my carbs down to 30g a day. Any tips?

Please log in or register to post a reply.