New day new me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Keencook
    on

I am just starting this food plan as of tomorrow. My husband will be starting it too he just doesn’t know it yet! I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth but love savoury things. Normally we have porridge every day except afriday and Saturday when we have poached eggs on toast. Disappointed to see porridge isn’t as good as I thought, however, will try to ring the changes and make soups etc for lunches. Hardest time will be evenings that stretch before us with no snacks or treats in sight. I am determined to lose the 2 stone that has crept on since I retired. Wish me luck or at least strength of will. Will post updates as I go.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Best of luck indeed to you and your husband, I haven’t quite got my husband on board yet, although he has lost over a stone just eating what I do for evening meals and being more resistant to snacking, you may both find it easier to stick to than you initially think.

There’s no problem with porridge in smaller quantities than most of us were used to, although it is a little high in carbs and you may choose to ‘spend’ your carbs on fruit and vegetables instead for their other benefits. I use buckwheat flakes for their Sirt friendly characteristics, but only have it once a week or so. You can bulk it up a bit with nuts and seeds that are lower carb, the free from sections in supermarkets often have a selection. I use 25g of flakes and 10g of Linwoods ground flax, almonds, Brazil nuts and walnuts for bulk, and other nutritional qualities. It uses about 17g of carbs, not including any milk or fruit in that. If you are doing less than 50g a day of carbs then it may be difficult, but if on 50 as I am then it is doable, at least occasionally.

• posted by Keencook
    on

Thank you mixnmatch. That was helpful. I have purchased the new book of recipes and the choices and suggestions over the 8 weeks are quite extensive. My mindset is right so here goes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.