New and desperate need of help please!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

H,

Firstly let me apologise if I have posted in the wrong place, I wasn’t sure where to start.

I am a late 30s divorced male with type 2 weighing 22 stone. I have bought the books and ready to start my journey but I am no chef! The recopies are all a bit fancy, someone needs to bring out a single guys cookbook using no more than 3 ingredients lol. I need advice on how to do this whilst having a hectic lifestyle always on the go. I work long hours and have no kitchen or fridge at work, and I volunteer for a children’s charity in the evenings, is there any food I can buy to have on the go, weekends are different as I am at home.

Thanks everyone for your time, and any help thankfully taken.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi and Welcome.
    I couldn’t follow the recipes in the book being a vegetarian. You don’t need to follow the recipes just work on getting the macros in the right range combined with cooking / eating your favourite types of food. The common advice on the forum is to use one of the mobile phone apps I personally use fatsecret, to record what you eat. (And to check the macros of what you are thinking about eating before putting it in your mouth as you get used to this way of eating.)
    Experience shows that the best formula to follow for the macros for the day is
    Carbs in the 20g to 50g range. (It depends on how insulin resistant you are if 50g will work or if you have to get under 20g)
    Protein in the 0.6g to 0.8g per kilo of TARGET weight.
    Make up the rest of your calories using healthy fats.

———- Once you get to the maintenance then you can increase the calories from fat to stay there.

There is a weekly thread, which has the tuesdays date in the title where you will find a mixture of people from newcomers to people who have lost a lot of weight and have been in maintenance for years but stay on the forum to provide a helping hand to newcomers. – Why not join us on that thread.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Budgie. Can you give us an idea of what typical day foodwise looks like now? It must be hard not having fridge (or I assume microwave) at work, and then following a long day at work volunteering (is there a microwave there? and do you have time to grab a bite when you are there?). Is there a kettle at work? I’m thinking that (if you can get a little coolbag to bring stuff in) you could at least make (it is a Fast500 recipe) some miso soup, add some sliced mushrooms, some spinach and some prawns or cooked chicken – it would at least be hot! Do you have time for a hearty breakfast at home or are you always rushing/don’t like breakfast? Any foods you really like/don’t like? Boiled or other eggs? Hummous? Do you like cooked chicken (cold) ; ham? tuna? Artichokes in oil (in jar or at deli counter in most supermarkets?) I think there is a recipe from someone for egg “muffins” which sound very tasty and would probably be nice cold with a salad (but like a crustless quiche). And I know someone else on here makes thin omelettes as wraps and makes a batch to keep in fridge at home. They must be nice with for ex some roasted veg. And look at Diet Doctor, there are some good (and easy) recipes.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Bud9ie! If you are usually home on the weekends, consider makin9 a bi9 pot of soup, which you take
    to work in a thermos. Add a few hard boiled e99s, and you’d be 9ood to 9o! (sorry about the “9’s…The
    letter between “f” and “h” on my keyboard is non functional 🙂 )

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I think Allie did post that she had spent some time living in San Francisco in the summer of love, hence possibly the slightly psychedelic effects . 9roovy.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Hi,

Thanks everyone, and I will look at that Tuesday post later.

Started Monday had a prawn layers salad from co-op and I got home at 10 so had a porridge with apple as it’s hot and takes 10 mins.

Tuesday I had Greek yoghurt and blueberries and almonds. And again home at 10 so did a porridge.

Today I bought a ore made leaf salad from co op and added a small tin of tuna. And well home about 10 tonight so will probably be porridge.

Is there no ready made soups I can buy? The whole cooking weekends and in big batches is just not me, weekends is when I’m bored and get hungry cooking lots of food will end with me eating it.

Thanks

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Budgie, I think we should ask the other men on here to contribute. You males do lose weight differently (and maybe more quickly…grrrr). Many would say porridge is not good, because of the carbs. But you really don’t seem to be eating lots….Frodo is another guy on here; he may recommend some soups. At weekends if you can batch cook around the time you have a good lunch, that might help? You can batch cook 8 chicken thighs say, and have two for lunch?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Quite cheeky of you, sixturkeys! I love it! 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Another very 9ood idea, Bud9ie, pre cooked chicken with perhaps a salad acquired on your lunch break.
    Porrid9e concerns me thou9h. Those carbs fuel a desire for more…I would find a substitute, I think!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I hoped you would Allie! Your 9s for gs do make for great posts!

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Hi Budgie and welcome

You sound just like me. Welcome to the lions den! (Joking.. the people on here are great)

I started out at 19.5 stones. Currently on 17.5 after 3 weeks and a rocky start eating all the wrong things!

You soon get used to what to avoid when buying food. Eating out is easily doable too.

I just got the app recommended above: fatsecret – to tot up what you’ve had in the way of carbs, calories and protein.
    The ready made salads are a life saver. Easy to make more tasty with your choice of dressing (in moderation of course).

The are also ready meals that don’t have carb heavy rice/pasta/potatoes but colliflower rice, etc. Instead.

Plenty of water is essential. Everything olive oil.

Soups are great. Canned soups are the best imho. Just choose above ground veggies and avoid carb laden ingredients. You soon get used to spotting the good ones. Watch out for the sneaky half a can totals. I guess they’re saying half a can is a portion.

I find it difficult to get enough protein. The carbs add up fast and trying to limit the calories I easily forget the protein. So remember to add meat etc if you’re not a veggie. I have veggie tendancies so I guess that’s where I trip up.

I look forward to hearing how you’re getting on.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

“sorry about the “9’s…The letter between “f” and “h” on my keyboard is non functional 🙂”

I wondered what that was about!! I thought it might be some crazy new fashion 😁

• posted by alliecat
    on

No, FrOdo, just a crazy lady who refuses to be silenced by computer 9litches 🙂 Repairs on the a9enda for
    Sat., I hope!

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Hi,

Thanks again everyone, this is starting to seem more daunting than expected! I got the porridge recipient from the book so I thought it was ok, back to the drawing board then. I’m a bit of a techno dinosaur so hopefully the apps will be easy.

Thanks

• posted by alliecat
    on

Please don’t stress Bud9ie! There is a learnin9 curve for all of us when we be9in this lifestyle. Support
    and advice is as close as your keyboard.. 🙂

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

“I got the porridge recipient from the book so I thought it was ok”

Same here. Avoid red meat… 1st recipe – eggs and bacon!! The porridge one is even worse.

Most confusing. Maybe those recipes are for after the 800 a day diet when you’re supposed to have more carbs.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I would say that as the porridge is considered a ‘good’ carb and is slow release so keeps you full longer, also lowers cholesterol, so it is not all bad. However, it is high on both calories and carbs so needs to be eaten rarely. If you look at the figures in the recipe it only allows 25g of oats whereas a normal portion for breakfast would be 35 or 40g. Just eat now and then. I personally dont eat it at all but that is because I know what any white carbs do to my blood glucose.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Good to know. Thank you sunshine-girl

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Budgie! Another bird here 🙂 Hearing your call for ideas, I am answering the call from my perspective. Small cans of tuna or salmon are SO handy . . . (if they are flavoured ones CHECK the carb on info label.) In the fresh foods aisle, I select bags of readymade salad stuff, sometimes baby spinach . . . and get several meals from one bag 🙂 The spinach can be hot or cold additive or base for many variations . . . I have been known to have hot OR cold chicken, pork, corned beef with the salad . . . after having had (one of them) as a hot meal with hot accompaniments. Though NO POTATOES PUMPKIN etc remember . . .? Eggs and bacon . . . mushrooms and onions in butter for breakfast (and/or add a little coconut milk to make a creamy sauce). ALWAYS have boiled eggs on hand . . . GREAT when you need something solid and immediately!!! and they add to the salads. Frozen peeled prawns are a great standby – takes a minute to toss some butter in a frying pan, rough chop a bokchoy (or two, or baby spinach), onion or shallots, capsicum(bell peppers) – splash in some crushed ginger and/or garlic, add the prawns, chilli flakes . . .(maybe)? then a little coconut cream/milk to make the sauce . . . yummo!!! Smoked salmon doesnt need to be hot or heated . . . individually frozen portions of atlantic salmon can be microwaved and put into salad mix. Then there is the old standbys of leeks, shallots, avocado, feta/cottage/brie etc cheeses . . . (I had a friend unexpected stay longer than intended today and offered a meal so they didnt have to prepare and eat when they returned home. Took less than 10 minutes . . . It was baby spinach bed, with shredded cheese, cauliflower “roses”, avocado, shallot diced over the mound! a few nuts on the side, with a mini quiche the crowning glory drizzled with macadamia oil infused with lime. I make them in a muffin tin . . . mince beef for lining the mould/shape, put in bacon, a few peas, shallots or diced onions, capsicum, garlic maybe . . .? and grated cheese . . . mix/whip some eggs with just a little cream, milk and flavouring . . (curry/mixed savoury spices, pepper and salt) . . . gently pour over these creations to fill the gaps . . . add a small pile of cheese on top and after 20-25 minutes in the oven these can be eaten hot or cold. They freeze well and keep in the fridge for a few days . . . Now I understand some of these wont be suitable for re-cycling tomorrow . . . BUT they are quick and easy for dinners . . . many can be prepared the night before for lunches . . . and weekends wont be too taken up with cooking 🙂 Also perhaps consider the shoulderbag esky/cooler bag with molded insides and some frozen cooler bricks. They will last quite a few hours for cooling work food. Wide neck Thermos flasks could also be useful for warm offerings at the workplace . . .:) Hope these ideas help!! Well done on your decision to change lifestyles and there are plenty here cheering you on! Starting is the most difficult . . . staying on track is a matter of choice, disappointment can be avoided and the end results are SO Worth it! (Im 8 months along here now, weight discard unexpected and very pleasing, BSL’s on the normal without meds . . . and cannot believe how well I feel!) These too may well be yours in a while! Quack Quack!

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Hi,

Thanks again, clearly was getting it wrong as my bloods was higher this morning, headaches and bathroom visits have hit this morning though so can’t be all wrong.

• posted by pupkindad
    on

Hello. I would like to consider myself a reasonable cook – but there are plenty of options that do not require much preparation or cooking at all. I used to be a regular porridge eater but I have completely cut it out. Breakfast is an apple thinly sliced, with greek yoghurt and a spoon of peanut butter. I have been having lots of fresh veg sticks – carrot, red peppers and cucumber with a soft cheese or hummus. Try salads with lots of spinach. Also plenty of eggs. I am ending week 2 and not really having any cravings and feeling pretty motivated. Stick with it and good luck.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Hi,

Again thanks everyone for greater insight, I think the books are more confusing on recipes, think the mind gave up when I saw pan fry almonds to add to food. You all have helped me so much already to look at what I am going to eat, I just spent an hour of lunch break comparing pre packed salads in the local supermarkets, no idea the hidden sugars and carbs in salads. I am going to force myself out of my bed early on Saturday and do a shop to cook and prep for week 2!!

Thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

TheBudgie – remember there is no need to make things complicated or to follow the recipes if you want to just make very simple food for yourself. I have never followed the recipes and meal plans and kept things easy by just making dinners of a protein source and veggies or salad. Planning ahead is a good idea, as then you know for sure that you have BSD friendly foods instantly available.
    Hope week 2 is a good one for you.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

So after a lot of research last night I’m of to do a big shop, and surprised the carbs in veg though!

On a separate note, might be me going mad, but my sense of smell has improved dramatically.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Budgie, do let us know what you put in your shopping trolley, I think many are interested in what people’s daily meal plans look like. And are you getting a little cool bag? Improved sense of smell is interesting! I have put on 2lbs so need to readdress ….Starting with water, daily intake had reduced.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hey there Budgie! Glad we were able to clarify some things for you 🙂 Remember the above ground veges are best . . . with a couple of exceptions which need to be limited 🙂 Sense of smell . . .? Well I found a long-standing sinus issue cleared very quickly after starting BSD . . . taste and smell are linked . . . (remember as a child, if you held your nose when taking vile medicine you dont taste it until you breathe . . .?) Plus we have ALL experienced changes in tastes . . . and that one seem to be ongoing with many stages of change never ceasing to amaze as they arrive. Be prepared for lots of surprises – and all steps forward in well being! Great job! Please keep us posted 🙂 qUACK qUACK!

• posted by alliecat
    on

You aren’t 9oin9 mad, Bud9ie! When the bad carbs and su9ar are out the window, food tastes much more
    delicious, and you don’t need a 9reat pile of it, either, to be satisfied 🙂 It is just one of the miracles waitin9
    for you down the road! It’s a true journey to wellness that we share here. Keep in touch…It’s all an
    adventure! I think becomin9 conversant in food labels is the best possible way to be9in. Best,

Allie

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Ok so that was expensive and hard, maybe it’s just that it’s the first time I’ve done a weeks shop since living alone, used to live on cheap pizzas from Iceland’s and crisps. Bought the basics, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and weighing scales. Thinking making my own salads would be better and easier but looking at calories and carbs I’m thinking pre packed might be easier and cheaper next week. Honestly thought calorie counting was hard but carbs. I love onion but blown away by the carb count! Got some of those zero carb noodles and some chicken. Bought eggs to try boiled eggs and asparagus soldiers. Have tuna to make with salads and I bought cheese as I saw you can use it in moderation but the calories in 10g is scary. Am going to try a stir fry tonight, proper cooking. No porridge this week but bought some Greek youghart for quick breakfasts. Tired now though I have a whole flat to clean,

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That sounds like a very good BSD friendly shop Budgie and a huge step forward. Some good choices there and good news you are ditching the porridge next week too. Those store cupboard items will last a good while, so the next shop shouldn’t be as expensive. You’ll soon get used to the carb counting, it’s daunting to begin with, but soon becomes second nature. Leave the cleaning for tomorrow … it’s not going anywhere. You deserve to put you feet up and relax a bit.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Budgie; eggs and asparagus are so tasty! Bit of olive oil and yoghurt (with a bit of mustard if you have some), salt and pepper, also make a lovely creamy dressing for salads (I had raw red cabbage slaw for lunch today – a bit carby but will adjust for supper). Also, as you may have seen, it’s important to keep your salt intake up (maybe you have some soy sauce for your stir fry).
    And I still can’t remember who posted about heating up raspberries (I zap a few at 800 in the m/wave for 30 secs) to add to yoghurt. It is so tasty and so much juice to swirl through. I love SunnyB’s comment re cleaning – what a shame it is indeed not going anywhere…. Do let us know how you get on (with food not cleaning…)

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m with you six turkeys! When I was in my twenties I’d clean the entire house from top to bottom every
    Sat. mornin9…Now I don’t even know where the vacuum cleaner is most of the time, and our carpets
    resemble the bottom of a bird ca9e, with bits of paper everywhere!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Sixturkeys- it was me who posted about heating up the raspberries in the microwave in another thread. I love the hot raspberries in the cold yoghurt. So tasty. Glad you enjoy it too – so simple but so yummy.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Thanks again, looks like I may have got better for next week, though I’m already happy with the first 5 days but for me the weekends are normally the hardest, as I don’t work them normally I’m stuck in just easting. As to salt I saw on here someone suggested increasing salt intake using real salt, so I bought some as well. Have realised I didn’t buy any blueberries for youghart so may pick up raspberries instead to try warm.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Budgie, do be careful with the salt though, if you have been eating processed foods you will have been seriously exceeding your recommended salt intake which is around 6 grams per day, that is one teaspoon. When you are on a diet you lose fluids and this takes away some of your natural salts. A small pinch on an egg or on your veg is enough to keep you healthy, not to forget that there is salt in natural foods so you will still be getting salt. Dont cook with salt as you wont know how much you are getting.

Which salt did you buy?

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Well I survived my Saturday night, eating my zero carb noodles with stir fry instead of a massive take away,, I bought a frying pan when I first moved in 5 months ago and used it for the first time! bloods have dropped again so though my maths maybe rusty I must be getting it almost right. My sleep pattern has improved as well I’d be restless and awake after 4~5 hours before, had a great nights sleep last night undisturbed. Something weird I’ve just noticed is how my rubbish bin seems empty, normally by now the bin and recycling bin are overflowing, this WOE could be helping me to do my bit for the environment too.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Budgie. How did you find the noodles? I have a packet but have yet to try them. Also, on a very different point, but picking up on cleaning and esp vacuuming, I have one with the smiley face on it; just lugged up and down my two and 1/2 flights of stairs; it is so bulky and heavy – so, if it doesn’t breach no advertising rule, does anyone (in UK) have recommendation for one of the cordless ones? I am thinking of a V-x but there seem to be so many available. This morning I appear to have lost the 2lbs I had put on. I have been making a real point over the last three days of drinking at least 2l of water (plus usual black coffees – and no red stuff…)

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Never thought of the reduction in waste Budgie – you’re right!! My bin is strangely empty too!

I had an Egg Foo Yung (sp?) on Friday night (egg omelette with mixed meats). Egg/ meats/ rough chopped onions/ mung shoots. Was a bit too filling and too many kcals. A lot of Chinese food seems low carb friendly. Maybe our more knowledgeable friends here could advise.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

My bin collection day is tomorrow and it’s not worth putting out lol. My bin weighs less like me, lost a whole 8lbs. I also enjoyed cooking again yesterday, think I got bored of cooking all the time for my previous partners and the years I ran a pub. Am thinking though I could happily eat salads to reduce time loss as I’m busy.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Great stuff well done! 🙂 haha! Yeah the bin men are going to have a reduced workload around here too. Cooking… hmm someday I’ll make a start.

Please log in or register to post a reply.