NEEDED – 800 diet ideas to help vegetarians and vegans

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Great advice. Thanks.
    I ordered the book today, should have by the weekend. I definitely need to read it as have been a little confused.
    I’ll get to grips with it, I’m sure. I’ll keep you posted!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi Nedds mum

fabulous advice from your fellow veggos and vegans. I am not but like to have many vegetarian meals, used to eat the wholemeal pasta and olive oil and veg about 3 times a week and had and still have seed and nut pancakes for brekkie several times a week, and some beans

I just wanted to say I have been here for 12 weeks and have had bad days and bad WEEKS – but still going. As the others told there are many vegetarians on this site and many resources out there on the web

Good luck. Onwards and downwards

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

I’ve actually lost weight. Am only 10 days in. Think I’ve lost 4-5 pounds. Sooooo happy. 😊😊😊😊😊

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nedds mum, I had been wondering how you had got on at the weekend with reading the book and planning. Looks like things are going well – great news πŸ™‚

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

I’m having a bad day πŸ™

A bit stressed. I just want to eat biscuits and cake.

I need some words of wisdom…anyone?
    Tx

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi Nedds mum,

you still loitering? Not words of wisdom but some company – what has stressed you out today?

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi Avila
    Sorry for delay. Am here. Have made myself a salad.

Work majorly stressing me. Have always reached for carb reach foods when this happens.
    Am obsessing about such foods today as a result…

• posted by jane c
    on

There are good low carb cake recipes online if you need a treat – coconut flour, berries,egg n xylitol if you need it. Tasty too πŸ™‚

• posted by Avila
    on

A salad is good.

My danger with stress food eating is the MasterMind effect ‘I’ve started so I’ll finish’ – even before the diet there was no such thing as a biscuit tin in my house (just me and the dog) as there is no such thing as the ‘rest of the packet’ once started I can chain eat until it is gone, even when I am no longer either craving or enjoying them.

Are there other ways for coping with stress? a long soak in the bath, pampering in non food ways??

I speak as someone who falls off the BSD wagon. I spent 3 weeks neither quite on it nor quite off it – my weight loss stopped but the gain was slight and only small compared to what I had lost, now trying to be fully on the wagon again. So if you can avoid the food stress response then wonderful, but if you do wobble all is not lost , even long term wobbles.

Long term finding other ways to react to stress is good, but don’t let paranoia about failing the BSD be an extra stress – it happens but is not the end of the story. If you avoid the stress/eating link then celebrate not a wobble but an achievement! If you don’t, welcome to the majority and enjoy being normal, but not limited by it….

Big hugs on a stressful day (if virtual hugs ok with you)

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you to both of you.

Even posting on here has helped. It prevented me from reaching for the biscuits.

2 weeks a go I was eating 2 packets a day (yes, I am ashamed) but not a single biscuit has passed my lips in 11 days.

Now that I have finished my salad I feel a bit better too. Just the supermarket to conquer later.

I really appreciate the support on here, it is helping, particularly today whilst I’m have a stressy, miserable ‘fat’ day.

Tomorrow is another day and the positivity will return.

Well done to all of you guys.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nedds mum,
    Bad days happen for all of us at one time or another – you are not alone! I stress eat, especially emotional stress, and if that happens I used to head to the nearest large carbs I could find. I’m a lot better at managing that now, although some of the worse of last years stresses (family) are over/in abeyance for now so it is easier.
    You need a few strategies to help you through and one will be food related others are avoidance strategie – getting you to do other things. Simple things like a short walk outside, a walk to a coffee shop – but only have a cup of tea or coffee and no cakes. It gets you our, you get something to snack on with flavour. If I could not get out, my favourite food solution was carrots or baby tomatoes. Both are sweet, and a bit carby, but still full of goodness. Carrots grated are very sweet and a half carrot grated, sit down and eat it slowly is lovely!
    Another thing to think about is Mindfulness. There is a forum that talks about approaches to using Mindfulness https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/de-stress/ that might help you.
    The main thing to remember, if you do end up eating a lot of carbs today – tomorrow does not need to be the same. Forget what happened today and move on. It is one day in 8 weeks – so what if it was not the best one. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Try to see if there is a pattern that has caused it – there may be in which case you can try to avoid it for the future, but there may now be – some days just stink.
    Keep going one step at a time, and let us know how it is going.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Neddsmum, let that weight loss keep you motivated. Yeah, well done

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

3 weeks in and 6 pounds down. It’s happening slowly but I suppose it’s going in the right direction.
    πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi. Been doing a bit of reading on here regarding BSD for vegans.
    Are the following acceptable?
    Coyo Coconut yogurt
    Tofu?
    I’m eating nuts and seeds
    Struggling with knowing what to eat to fill me up.
    Thank you

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Way of life
    I did the BSD as a vegetarian – there are a number of posts by me in this thread and others and I still keep an eye on these threads and will try to help if I can.
    The main things to remember is that you are not looking for a low fat option on anything, so higher fat options like nuts and avocado are welcome and filling. I assume you have been vegan for a while and you will be using dairy replacements such as nut ‘milks’ etc – again fine – but always check they the packaging for added sugars and if you have a choice of a couple of different ones, take the lowers carbs. Soya products of all types are ok – again the proviso – check for sugars. All pulses are fine and they fill you up, with sides of green vegetables. What you will find harder is getting a very low daily carb – however I found 60-65g carbs per day would give me enough protein from non meats and I was losing on average 2kg a week. In all I lost 4.5 stone last year from Feb to October with a 6 week break in the middle.
    If you have posted some background elsewhere then please direct me to that so I can read it. The main things are – do you normally cook from scratch, or do you eat shop prepared food?
    The specifics you have mentioned – Coya coconut yoghurt – I looked it up and the carbs for 125g pot is 4.9g with 25g fats so that will be filling and low carbs. The calories are around 275 per pot – that I over a quarter of your daily target so use carefully. It would work well for breakfast. My standard breakfast is 60ml full fat yoghurt, 3g pumpkin seeds, 3g sunflower seeds, 3g linseeds, 30g blueberries all mixed together with 3 chopped almonds on top and a dash o f cinnamon. The coya yoghurt is a bit higher calories so that would be around 200 cals for breakfast which is fine.
    If you use the search engine on here for butter beans, there is a great soup recipe someone posted for tomato and butterbean soup that has smoked paprika and cayenne pepper for flavouring that is quick and easy to make and very tasty.
    Anyhow – fire off further questions and background and good luck.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Huge thanks orchid.
    To be honest, I have been putting off posting on here as most people I come into contact with think vegans/veggies are health freaks so felt embarrassed. I eat wonderful, fresh, nutritious foods but always follow with sugar laden, vegan cookies, cereals, ice creams… You probably get the picture.

So before I posted I used the search option and read through many vegan/veggie posts (including some of yours). These inspired me to bite the bullet and post. Clearly there are vegans in the same boat.

Background – I love fresh, home cooked foods and always cook from scratch. I eat too much sugar. I am pre diabetic and have non alcoholic fatty liver disease. I’m 2 stone overweight but I do love to walk however, I ‘reward’ myself handsomely afterwards.

I return from travel on Friday. Will shop (hence the research now) ready to start on Saturday.

Hoping I can shed the 2 stone, continue to walk and rid myself of my health issues.

I have also posted on the ‘starting January 2017’ thread. Someone mentioned Alpro almond yogurt. Sounds appealing (maybe for my breakfast with the nut/seed mix you recommend). Need to check sugar/carb content though.

Would it be wrong to have a square of 90% Lindt dark choc per day?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

No it wouldn’t be wrong to have a square of dark chocolate a day. Most people start at the 70% end and work up to preferring the 90% though.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Way of Life
    I have one or two squares of 85% or 90% dark chocolate after my evening meal. It feels so wonderfully wicked but of course it is not as it is ok on the BSD and is actually very healthy.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Mixnmatch/krysia

Music to my ears. I love 90% Lindt. Such a positive. Thanks

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Way of life,
    Thanks for the background. If you cook for yourself you will find it easier as you will not be dependent on processed foods which inevitably have added sugars to help with taste. You will also be used to adjusting recipes to meet vegan requirements and know the adjustments you need to make.
    Some tips I found useful;
    Use the week before you start as an adjusting week, so try some things out that you might want to use eg the breakfast to be sure you enjoy it and see how well it fills you up. Cut down a little each day so it is not such a change on your start day.
    Start using smaller plates – get something in between a side plate and a dinner plate – around 7 inches diameter – as your new dinner plate. That helps with portion sizes, and psychologically you see a full plate and your head is happy – I have not gone back to the large dinner plate!
    Measure everything – yourself included. On Saturday – write down your blood sugar reading and blood pressure (if you have monitors), pulse, and take measurements bust, waist, tummy (over belly button), hips, thighs and finally weight. If you have a set of scales that have internal fat then note that as well. You can calculate BMI. You will find that some weeks you lose more weight than others, but the most important reading is the waist and tummy measurements – if they keep going down, you are hitting the stored fat and sorting out your pre-diabetes and liver. It is not uncommon to have no weight loss that week, but see inches come off. You can measure weight daily, or weekly; but the blood sugars are probably worth doing daily for a while still they stabilise.
    Decide what your target is – a dress size is as valid as a weight, or an amount off of your waist, or changes to your biochemistry – improved liver functioning, blood sugar readings going down. I started this after I had watched MM on TV last January and bought a BS reader and was shocked to see I was very close to being pre-diabetic. My readings were down and stable mid-normal in 4 weeks. It is worth investing in one if you do not already have one, as for you that will be a key indicator.
    Draw graphs – I used a spreadsheet and put the data into it on a weekly basis then got it to graph for me – it is very motivating to see the line going down and see the progress over time! Other apps on phones will do the same thing as will any data you put into the fitness gadgets.
    I did use a fitness monitor like fitbit (I used Garmin) to see how little activity I was taking – and initially it was bad, it helped me to get an idea of what I needed to do. Since you already do a lot of walking, I doubt you need that.
    Other things to measure – everything you eat. Portion control is very important, and making sure you keep to a low intake of carbs per day, target 60g, but don’t be too worried if you are over that one day as looked at over a week – it won’t matter. There are a number of apps that will help you get the food breakdown per item, store recipes and give you calories and carb amounts per serving. There are discussion threads on the forum on the benefits etc. That for me is the hardest part as it takes time every meal to measure things properly – however I bulk make soup, one portion for today and 4 to freeze and I note on a label the calories per portion and the carbs. I do know I have to do as if I freehand 1 tbs of oil, it is a lot more on the pan than if I measure it!
    Your question about chocolate – no issue – but add it into your daily allowance. I had been having a cup of cocoa night and morning (no sugar, no milk, only 5g cocoa powder with boiling water) and I continued, taking the calories off of my 800 per day, and the carbs off of the 60g per day. I have a bar of 80% chocolate in the top of the fridge for days that I need a boost – but one square only.
    Find some snacks that are lower calories and not sugary – for me it was small tomatoes. If I needed a snack – especially a sweet one, I would have one of two – they were like eating sweets. Another things was carrots – an inch of one at a time, however I did stop that as they are higher carbs. Nuts are great snacks, but don’t give the same sweet satisfaction that tomatoes or carrots. A new thing for me has been ITSU wasabi seaweed snacks (Sainsbury’s, Waitrose keep them) – like crisps, but lower calories. They are great for adding to a packed lunch.
    Seitan, tofu, soya products, tempeh if you can find it are all good protein products although tempeh is higher in carbs. Miso soup is another good standby to have in.
    Sorry it is so long…… hopefully some things will help. Shout if you need more help!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks for your time orchid.

As I read through I made a note of many of your ideas that I think could work for me.

Chuffed to hear that a Square of 90% is acceptable. Hadn’t thought about a cocoa drink but have added to my shop list.

Need to fish out some smaller plates that have made their way to the back of my cupboard. Love this idea, think will help considerably.
    Will also try out your breakfast idea. Having had cereal/porridge for umpteen years it will be a change. Hoping it will fill me up. I’ll give it a go this week before I start.

I love to cook soup and often make masses to freeze so this will be ok.

Will weigh food but need to face up to weighing myself. Have just guessed weight for a few years now.

I know that I need make long term changes. As my name on here clearly states, a ‘way of life’.

I appreciate your post and certainly will shout if I need more advice. Thank you.

• posted by happyvegan
    on

Just signed up so Hi to all on this thread.

As a vegan it’s been hard to find good advice about a low carb plan before but I know from past experience that high carbs just don’t work for me although I have read many many reports of people losing stunning amounts of weight eating wholegrain carbs on a low fat vegan diet – not me – no weight loss after over 5 years of very healthy vegan eating. I have no health issues other than significant excess weight and since becoming a vegan cholesterol levels for both me and my husband are healthy without any medication. Although I am not a diabetic, I recognise that sugars in food have been an issue for me and I believe that adopting this plan may be the key to successfully losing weight at long last. It will be a challenge to incorporate higher levels of fats into my eating but, from what I have read so far, it seems that this can be done by eating nuts and seeds so I will follow that advice.

I cook almost everything from scratch and already use beans and lentils daily with plenty of fresh veggies so that aspect is fine but I will need to limit my fruit and most of all reduce the carbs. Not the best time of year to start doing this perhaps – much easier in warmer months – but I have to grasp the chance while my motivation is high as I am sick of carrying a lot of extra weigh around. About 6 years ago, in pre-vegan days, I managed to lose over 50 lbs on a calorie restricted low carb diet. Almost all of that has stayed off as I also changed my eating habits and my thinking too. Since then nothing has worked but I need to lose about the same again. Friends tell me that as I am healthy I shouldn’t worry about the weight and some have even suggested that maybe I have reached the weight my body is comfortable with but, although I love their support, I just cannot accept that and am determined to lose more weight.

Sorry it’s so long but it’s so good to finally find people that share the same path.

Coming across this forum just at the right time is exactly what I needed. The tips, advice and support on this thread are very encouraging so thank you to everyone who has taken the time to contribute. I hope to be able to do the same myself.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi happyvegan
    Welcome on board and good luck with meeting your objectives. The forum is what kept me going – it is a wonderful resource. Looking forward to your contributions.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello happyvegan and welcome,

I was just wondering if you’re diabetic or prediabetic? If you’re not you could probably incorporate more of the lentil/quinoa type of carbs into your diet. I’m not very sure of the science here but I’m sure someone will advise you.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Happyvegan, you could also incorporate fats through cooking with more oil?

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi happy vegan

So pleased you are here.

My story sounds similar although I do have a few health issues to address.

Wasn’t sure how the BSD will work for a vegan but orchid has recently posted some excellent advice on this thread if you have a read.

I return from a trip today and will shop tomorrow. All systems go on Saturday. Trying not to see this as a diet though more of a way of life from now on.

Have you started the BSD yet?

Best wishes.

• posted by Way of life
    on

My vegan BSD commences today πŸ™‚

Are you with me Happy vegan?

• posted by orchid
    on

Good luck!

• posted by VeganSarah
    on

I started today too πŸ˜€ Hello! Have read the whole thread and found it really helpful, thanks everyone for sharing your advice. I had Coco yogurt, blueberries and nuts for breakfast, and made an amazing Tom Yum soup for lunch, feeling full and happy!

• posted by orchid
    on

Welcome on board VeganSarah!

• posted by MrsTLC13
    on

Hello Veggie Vegans! I’m vegan and started this yesterday! I originally started a clean diet last January and lost 7st in weight…. put two stone over the last 3rd of the year and so the customary January diet begins again. Only have 2st to lose until a normal bmi, but I am a typical apple shape and all of my weight is stored around my belly. … last year was a high carb year as it was my first vegan year (nobody ever asks a vegan where they get their carbs from… only protein… it’s funny that πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰) so I think I became thin on the outside fat on the in…. this year I was to be healthy. My fbs have always been borderline so I’m now doing my best to get them down…

I down loaded the recipe book on my kindle and pleased to see a lot of vegan dinners are present…. breakfasts seems to be a bit of a challenge though…. I think it’s mainly going to end up being porridge or avocado. I’m sort of OK ish with eating the odd egg as I can get these from a friend who keeps chickens (and quite frankly they have a life of Riley)… but generally will try to avoid.
    So far, the last three meals I’ve eaten have all been garlic mushroom based… the house stinks πŸ˜‚
    Slightly jittery from the lack of carbs I think. Low calorie diets I don’t find too difficult, but the sudden loss of carbs is going to take some getting used to!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi Mrs TLC and vegan Sarah and thanks orchid.

TLC /Sarah – Great to have fellow veggie/vegans starting at same time.

Had same brekkie as you vegan Sarah. Quite enjoyed it πŸ™‚

• posted by Way of life
    on

TLC – forgot to say, 7 st loss last year is superb!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi MrsTLC13,
    Great to have you on the forum! Lack of carbs when you are not a meat eater is scary as the tendency has always been to fill up with pasta and rice, and all the lovely high carb vegs! However…. the big change this in this approach is that it is not low fat. Avoiding everything that says low fat as it has usually been replaced by sugar – so low fat, high carb. I am veggie not vegan, so I suddenly could eat cheese and full fat yoghurt and olive oil dressings – and that is filling and tasty.
    For a vegan approach then nut yoghurts or soya yoghurt would work well, I got some Almond milk yesterday and found one with almost no carbs, but good fat and protein.
    For breakfast I have 60g yoghurt with 30g blueberries plus 3g sunflower seeds, 3g pumpkin seeds and 3g linseeds, 3 almonds and a splash of cinnamon all mixed together and I find that filling. I have recently added in 3g chia seeds as well. Soups are a great way of managing lunch.
    Take care with oats as they are borderline ok. Pinhead oatmeal (the type you need to soak) is fine as that releases the carbs slowly into the blood stream, but the ready porridge oats is very high carb and gives sugar spikes.
    If you are monitoring you carbs in grams daily then aim for about 60g per day, below that and you will struggle with protein and keeping full. I had been aiming at 45g a day protein based on an article I read, however I read something yesterday that gave a different approach – the UK recommended daily amount is .75 x your body weight in Kg’s. The 45g a day is fine if you are 60kg which I am not….. I need to find another protein source now to add into my daily intake :-(.
    The search engine in the top right corner is a good way of finding out recipes that others have added if you type in butterbeans there is a recipe given by newstart in the thread https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/vegetarian-800-and-52-recipes-good-website-and-tips/#post-24853 (22/6/16) that is tasty and easy to make as well as filling.
    Hope things go well….

• posted by VeganSarah
    on

MrsTLC – how about tofu scramble for breakfast? Ideal with your garlic mushrooms too! I’m going to make lentil dahl for dinner.

• posted by happyvegan
    on

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. This really seems like a good place to be.

There’s so much to read up on and finding time is a challenge as life is busy right now. I haven’t even finished the book yet but I’m reading posts, recipes and links on this forum and getting it all together.

Orchid – thanks ever so much for your posts on this subject – they are so practical and informative and it’s great to have a veggie/vegan perspective. It is definitely hard to achieve 60g carb limits as a vegan. I’ve been using an online nutrition tracker app and haven’t managed to get them low enough yet but they are much lower than before and as soon as I get some recipes sorted out it should be ok. I need to do some shopping and get some ingredients for my new BSD 800 way of life. Unfortunately where we live for much of the year you can’t buy firm tofu or soya yogurt which sound invaluable for the low carb proteins and my previous attempts at making them from scratch were less than successful ! It will be bliss to be back in the UK for a couple of months and only 10 days til we get back there. Readily available ingredients will make life easier but for now I am making big changes and am nearly there.

I suspect many favourite vegan recipes should be fairly easily adaptable to the BSD 800 plan so I will log them onto the app and figure it out asap.

Thanks for the advice Angela 06 – I made a brown lentil casserole with onions, garlic, carrots, celery red and yellow peppers, tinned tomatoes and some lovely vegan organic bouillon which was only 218 calories per portion but 34g of carbs so quite a chunk of my daily carb allowance. Some adjustments needed to make it BSD 800 friendly….. I’ll look into quinoa as they have started selling it locally now.

The good news is I can feel weight loss already after just a few days even though I haven’t got it all together yet. My jeans are looser and I’m less bloated. Very encouraging. The bad news is I ended up having some raw almonds for my meal tonight as I had used up more than my carb allowance already.They were surprisingly filling and helped with the fat levels too but it did look so tiny.

So, I hope to be able to post something more constructive once I get going properly.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share experiences and encouragement here. It is really appreciated and your successes are very impressive.

• posted by happyvegan
    on

Hi Way of Life, Mrs TLC and VeganSarah

Sorry I missed your posts until now. Been so busy and every spare minute has been spent getting my head round the change from low fat vegan to BSD 800.

I hope your BSD 800 start is going well and I really look forward to reading about your progress and how you are managing as vegans. I think that being able to share our experiences on this forum will be a great support and encouragement.

Garlic mushrooms ………….. am now craving this ! Roll on Monday’s shopping day.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello all.

How are you getting on?

End of day 2 for me. Yesterday went well but today I have had a constant nagging headache and don’t feel that great. Is this likely to pass soon?
    I’m not particularly hungry though.

Also, I have just read on another thread that soya products can make women gain weight.

Is this the case?

It is a major source of protein for me (soya yogurt/milk and tofu).

Not sure what other proteins I’d eat other than nuts and seeds on this low carb eating plan… ? Not a huge fan of lentils.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The headache could be the start of carb withdrawal symptoms, keep drinking plenty of water, add a little salt to your meals if you don’t already, and take painkillers if you need them. Be kind to yourself until you feel better.

• posted by happyvegan
    on

Hi
    I felt really washed out the other day but it passed. I agree with Mixnmatch – drink plenty of water to ease the headache.

Re the proteins – it is tricky for vegans. I find it hard to get enough protein (can’t get soya yoghurt and firm tofu until I get back to the UK next week) so I have been looking into this myself. I can make any number of sweet tasty recipes with silken tofu (which I can find over here ) but they all need sugar or maple syrup which I am now off obviously.. After advice on this thread, I tried using some silken tofu to boost my protein intake – have to admit it was awful. Today I came across a rare box of strawberries so tomorrow I might try them blended in to the rest of the silken tofu. Really I want to get away from desserts and sweet things all together so might just eat the strawberries on their own……

My husband’s favourite salad dressing is Goddess Dressing which I make from tofu so that’s an idea too. It certainly makes you think doing this plan as a vegan doesn’t it ?

Here’s a link to a page I came across which gives 25 sources of protein for vegans.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/vegan-sources-of-protein/
    There’s a couple in there that were news to me – peas ??? I’d suggest you have a look at some of the recipes in the links on the webpage too – it’s a bit unwieldy but it made me think of other options and there are some interesting recipes like
    MUSHROOM MUTTER MASALA: INDIAN MUSHROOM AND GREEN PEAS
    and
    MISO SOUP WITH GARLICKY LENTILS, KALE, AND MUSHROOMS.

I don’t know what you have tried with lentils ? I have friends who hate them (and beans) in any form. Personally I love them now – all colours and in many dishes but before I went vegan over 5 years ago I’d only really used them in my Mum’s chicken soup ! Lentil burgers go down well with non vegan/veggie friends, red lentil soup is a staple in the winter and one of my favourites for ease and taste is a casserole made using the large brown lentils cooked with onion, garlic, celery, carrots, tin of tomatoes, a little dried thyme, some hot smoked paprika and a little organic bouillon stock powder. It’s really tasty and warming.

Hope you feel better very soon.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks mixnmatch. Took painkillers yesterday but thankfully headaches are starting ease today.

Great post Happy Vegan. Thanks for the link! Very interesting. It must be so difficult for you to get your protein. Hopefully you’ll find it easier on your return. Great recipe ideas too. Thanks for your time posting.

Enjoy the strawberries πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi all,
    never heard of Soya making women gain weight, Japanese women eat plenty of it and don’t seem to have an issue. It can be what people add into Soya to make it more palatable – lots of sugars??? Tofu is a great protein source with almost no carbs so ideal for this diet.
    All peas – spilt peas (green and yellow) and many veg e.g. broccoli have some protein in them which add to the daily amount; likewise lentils. However, they also have carbs and that is a balance.
    So long as you read the labels and check that what you are eating is high fat, normal protein and low carbs, you will be fine. The issue with soya is probably that some products or made up foods are high fat AND high carbs as well as the protein and that will add the pounds quickly.
    I bought some hemp powder last week and have not yet used it, but it is another protein source and can be added to soups. Apparently it is a little earthy in taste. I had intended to add it to breakfast but on reading that decided to wait till I make some new soup and see how it went in that. If can go into anything and is 40% protein – so 15g a day (their recommendation) gives 6g protein. Has anyone else tried it?

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello orchid.

Thanks for your thoughts on soya. I’m going to continue eating it, it’s a vital protein for me.

I love hemp powder.
    I stir it into almond or soya yogurt every morning, I have done this for several years now. It did however take me a while to get used to it, it certainly does have an earthy taste. I also sprinkle it on salads, roasted broccoli, sprouts etc. Such a great protein for us vegan/veggies.

Day 4 for me. Feeling lighter and brighter.

Hope all going well for one and all.

• posted by VeganSarah
    on

HI everyone! Day 4 for me! I lost 4lb in the first week of the year by cutting calories and then started this diet and have lost another 4lb since starting on Saturday – feeling great! I feel hungry before meals but a completely different hunger which is only in my stomach – I think what I previously interpreted as hunger was low blood sugar and/or carb craving. No problems with headaches (I am drinking LOT of water) but I did have trouble sleeping the second night, not sure if that was related.

Today I had an avocado for breakfast, spanish chickpea & spinach stew for lunch and am about to make a tofu stir fry with cauliflower rice for dinner. (I have also never heard of tofu causing weight gain.) Hope everyone is having a good week!

• posted by Way of life
    on

4lbs vegansarah – fantastic! Well done.

• posted by happyvegan
    on

Hi VeganSarah

Well done you. Completely understand re the difference in the hunger. I’m getting less hungry and more satisfied with smaller portions already too. Just like it says in the book and yet I’m still amazed at the changes.

Do you have an avocado on it’s own for breakfast ? Not my favourite food but I’m willing to try different ideas.

Again, great to hear of your weight loss – you must feel so happy.

• posted by Way of life
    on

I’m a week in now and beginning to feel so much better.

I don’t weigh myself at all. Feeling lighter and brighter does it for me. If I stood on the scale and hadn’t lost anything I’d want to eat.
    At the moment it’s working for me. I feel good πŸ™‚

How is everyone else getting on?

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi you new veggies, best of luck. Be inspired by orchid and mixnmatch, and if you need any further ideas there is some-one on diet doctor who lost 130 pounds on low carb vegetarian. I think there are recipes as well, not had time to look yet.
    Ruth(::

• posted by Plant Powered Poll
    on

Hello- just starting this morning so placemarking this thread- I’ll be back when I’ve read the book (arriving shortly!)

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello plant powered poll

Happy reading. Look forward to hearing about how you get on.

Day 8 was positive for me.
    Discovered Itsu crispy seaweed. Low carb, high protein. Try them.
    Feeling more confident.

Hope everyone else had a good day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.