Need to Get Back on the BSD Horse

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Hi all,

This is my first post and I’ve been inspired by all the great progress people have been making and the wonderful support every is giving each other.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the end of August 2016 and decided I needed to start the BSD process. I started off OK and lost some weight……well more weight than I’d ever lost (4kg in first week). However, I always had a problem sticking to the 800 calories and I’m finding it hard to stick to it in general. I’ve been off sick with man-flu and then half-term meant I went back to my old ways of eating badly.

So now I’m determined to try and actually stick to 800 cals. I don’t understand how people don’t feel hungry on the diet ๐Ÿ™ When my resolve weakens, I think I should go down to the 5:2 instead, but I read about everyone’s results and think I should stick to 800 cals for as long as I can. I’ve lost 10kg so far in two months, most of which was lost in the first month but I need to lose another 62kg in order for me to be at a ‘healthy’ BMI. So I have a long way to go!

So now I need to try harder and keep going. Thanks for listening ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

It has been ups and downs for me too …. especially since i’ve been sick for about 3 weeks and just having to hang around the house feeling sick and bored.
    There is more than enough food in the 800 calories … and i do roughly count carbs.
    But i have had to try new and different foods. Many of the foods i’ve eaten before but i am just not used to the assortment. Bought bok choy for the first time … because i can’t do cauliflower every day no matter how much i love it.
    It’s also “different” to break the low fat and no fat is “correct” when it actually is not.
    Was also caught up in the now refuted notion that eggs are bad for you.
    And it’s not like i ate more than a bit of bread and porridge oats … but still not having bread at all and only a little oats was different.

Different is psychologically hard to get used to…. plus you have to get your body used to “different”.

If i am hungry i almost always have cucumber, grape tomatoes, etc. on hand …. and even if i have reached the 800 calories … a few slices of cucumber etc. is not going to ruin the grand plan.

I wish you luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Hi Shalimar, thanks for the reply. I think the biggest hurdle is the change in mindset, so I’ll work on that more ๐Ÿ™‚ I think I also need to try cauliflower – somthing I’m not very keen on.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hide it with spices – cumin, turmeric, sumac etc. Go for the texture and mask the flavour…..

• posted by Fit_My_Jeans_Again
    on

Ten kilograms is SO good.

I’ve started the diet too many times to count so I’m by no means the expert coming to offer a solution, just to say YOU’RE NOT ALONE. Although unlike you, I find I’m not hungry but that I want to eat anyway. Practising mindfulness has really helped me identify feeling hungry versus wanting to eat; think I need a bit more practise if I want to take that to the next step though!

Good luck with it!

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

JulesMaigret – the only problem with spices is that I can barely manage to balance salt and pepper!

Fit_My_Jeans_Again – knowing I’m not alone in this process is really helping me and hopefully help each other ๐Ÿ™‚

Yesterday I managed to stick to 800 calories – yay! Today however, I at 1800 calories – boo. On the positive side, 1800 cals is like a ‘normal’ diet intake for me.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’v had to learn because as I reduced my portion sizes I developed a taste for spicier and more flavourful food. I also think that the spicier foods help me feel fuller for longer.

• posted by Cecily
    on

I vacillate wildly at the moment. Some days I’m fine, others I feel famished all darned day. It’s hard going.
    I’ve lost 8 kg in 5 weeks. At least one of those weeks was a disaster but I’m keeping going as best I can.
    One thing I’ve found helpful is developing new routines – new habits of “a typical breakfast ” or “everyday lunch ”
    Most days I have 150g of Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of homemade unsweetened applesauce for breakfast now. I simmered some Bramley apples into a purรฉe which tasted horribly tart to me on Day 1 and tastes nice to me here on Day 37.
    I have 5 soup recipes I move between, and have a bowl of one of them for lunch most days.
    Dinner is ratatouille and a fish fillet at least twice a week, Quorn chilli, vegetable curry with cauli rice and so on.
    I discovered that roast cauliflower is delicious – how had I never tried it?
    I add a splodge of Greek yogurt to lots of things as I find I feel more satisfied when I’ve had some fat in the meal. It’s what I’m turning to when I can’t have my usual tonne of cheese on foods. I swear I had cheese fondue system rather than blood in my veins! I really miss being able to scoff cheese at will.
    Hang in there, fellow BSD-ers

Please log in or register to post a reply.