Need some encouragement and advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by katb
    on

Hello all. I need some encouragement or advice. I did the 8 week blood sugar diet (began February 2nd) and was very compliant. Lost 15 pounds and tracking my BC via an app showed me to have an estimated AIC of 5.8-5.9 and Glucose Average of 115. Still a little on the high side, but I felt good about being on the right track.

After 8 weeks I started the 5:2 plan and have been on it for 4 weeks. I was still losing weight, though slower, and my blood sugars remained in normal range so I felt satisfied I was on the right track.

Today I had labs drawn, it has been 3 months since I started. My A1C went from 6.6 to 6.2 and my gluose average from 143 to 131. My fasting glucose went from 130 to 107. But more alarming my total cholesterol went up 2 points and my B/C ratio went from 17.3 to 23.3.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I guess I was just expecting more dramatic results! Kind of discouraged. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi katb, that’s an annoying result re the cholesterol, but way to go with the blood sugar.

You don’t say how much exercise you were doing, particularly on 5:2. If not much, then more might help. The other thing would be what fats are you consuming and perhaps adjusting that down and increasing carbs (veg matter)??

Hope this helps. Don’t be discouraged though. You are still on the journey.

Crabbycams

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Seems to go against the tide. Maybe another cholesterol test is warranted.

• posted by africanaussie
    on

Hi all, I am new here. I am T2 and over the last 3 months have lost 5 kgs loosely following 5:2. I skipped dinner on Tuesdays and then skipped breakfast on Thursdays. Kept away from sugar and flour, and other starchy foods like pasta, but have oats, fruit and yoghurt every morning. Salad and a bit of protein for lunch – sometimes on a wholegrain wrap. Most dinners are fish or chicken with roast vegetables. About twice a week a legume dish for dinner. I started tracking my food on myfitnesspal, and realize I probably have quite a lot of carbs from fruit. Probably three to four servings a day. The thing is that even with the weight loss I have not lost even a cm from my belly. I am thinking I need to reduce carbs, so am going to limit to one serving of fruit a day and eggs instead of oats in the mornings. My a1c dropped down to 6.2 from 7.5 but triglycerides and cholesterol went up slightly.
    I do like to meal plan and shop accordingly. Is there a forum here where people post their meal plans? any advice?

• posted by africanaussie
    on

Hi katb,
    I was introducing myself and forgot to reply to you which was my original intention! You seem to have the same problem as me – lost some weight, but the other figures went up. Dont be discouraged – you have achieved quite an awesome weight loss. Good to have found a sounding board here.

• posted by KBrad
    on

Hi… this is Katb with a different user name. For some reason it would not let me log back in last night with my old username, kept telling me my user name and email address did not exist in their system! LOL!

So anyway, crabby Kim, I actually have an exercise class that I instruct two days a week, and typically exercise another 2 to 3 days a week. I will mention this.. exercise makes my blood sugar go up without any food involved whatsoever. For example yesterday I woke up with a fasting glucose 96, did not eat anything went and worked out and came home two hours later to have a glucose of 128! I read this happens because of hormones released during the stress of exercise??

I do consume a lot of fat, mostly in the form of olive oil and butter that I use with cooking my protein and vegetables because I read that is helpful with low-carb/ketogenic style diet. I eat the bare minimum of vegetables, because of the carbs. I stay under 30 g a day typically, so pretty much it’s all in vegetables.

I should mention that my cholesterol is still considered in normal range, but was a little concerned that it went up, mostly I was discouraged that I didn’t have more dramatic reduction in my average glucose and my A1 C? Do you all feel like that is normal after 3 months? I go back to the doctor on Tuesday and I am desperate to stay off medication.

Hello African Aussie!!! Getting my carbs below 30 a day is what finally got the weight off of my belly! I have not taken measurements but have gone down a pant size from an 8 to 6 and bought my first bikini in 10!years for the upcoming summer! I’m 5’4″ 145 pounds (started at 162). I am addicted to my fitness pal!! Good luck to you … and yes these forums have been extremely helpful for me! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.