my journey (from week 2)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

good morning to you all

i had a thread about my first week, which went into my second, but thought this would be more useful as it would fit for however long

i finished week 2 this morning – only lost 1 1/2 pound but that is 5lb in 2 weeks so i should be happy
    i am not counting calories or counting anything actually – just cut grains, starchy veg and most sugar – and not binged for 2 wks!!

one thing that is happening from time to time, is i go shaky and a bit wobbly before meals
    it happened yesterday, while i was shopping and it had only been 2 hours since my breakfast – i came so close to buying chocolate to deal with it but instead managed to resist and have a few of the raspberries i had bought, as i walked home
    it has happened again this morning
    i am not diabetic, and i would say i am certainly getting enough carbs/sugars/fats and salts –
    any ideas?
    could it be my body adjusting to burning fat as fuel – in which case could it burn more please and i will put up with ‘shaky’ !! 🙂

• posted by Frog
    on

Are you drinking loads too, keeptrying?
    – dehydration can cause shakiness

• posted by keeptrying
    on

ha ha,indeed at points I drank so much that first week I felt like I was drowning!! ok slight exaggeration – but around 2 – 3 litres of water a day plus a tea or two

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s not the problem then!
    Maybe it will pass when your body adapts to the new style of eating

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thanks
    I hope so too
    I have bought some glucose tablets just for if I am out and it happens

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well I tried the ‘bun for one’ recipe for tea
    its nice – well I am already a fan of the coconut flatbreads and this is a sort of more ‘bunny’ version – if you get me
    courgette and avocado inside, with a TINY amount of brie

think I need to eat less fat, or I wont lose any

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

keeptrying – the fat content of your food is not a problem – it’s the total CARBOHYDRATE you need to watch. You need plenty of fat to keep you feeling full.

This is completely the opposite of what many people have thought for many years, I appreciate. Cheese is good, so long as you have the calories for it in the BSD plan – because it’s fat and protein, and no carbs.

Some people here have found the BSD hard to follow, because they’re still trying to keep the fat in their diet down – but full fat here is GOOD!

Hope this helps

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I agree with your point, igorasusual
    and I probably should be counting calories but I’m not
    I am eating full fat yog and cheese, and yes they are far more satisfying
    but I think I have been so happily (in the last two weeks) eating these, that I need to just take stock of how much

fat wont make me fat
    but if I am eating it, then my body wont need to burn what is on the inside – and there is a LOT of that !!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

It’s keeping to the 800 calories with low carbs which will burn your fat, keep trying.

I bought some Ketostix and keep my carbs low whilst not worrying too much about fat. And the Ketostix show I’m burning stored fat.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well I think my body is definitely TRYING to burn fat, since it is still making me shaky – 2 hours today, after breakfast, while I was out walking
    I need to stop my carby breakfast again but I cant at the moment as it is helping my stupid reflux
    maybe in a few days

I had this bizarre image whilst walking – of something like fat bubble wrap inside me, and popping the bubbles as I walked
    sad – I know

• posted by keeptrying
    on

had berries, walnuts and yog for breakfast – just hoping there is enough gaviscon in me to prevent reaction!!

the difference in carbs is of course humungous – 2 oatibix and ss milk = 290 cal and 41g carbs (perhaps minus 3.1g fibre)

todays is 193 cal and 5.3g carb

this is great – so long as my body doesn’t make a fuss

incidentally – when I was doing fd my waist got smaller but so far this bsd has not made any difference at all
    so I am panicking a bit that maybe I am someone who is not letting go of tummy fat 🙁 really hope this isn’t so

• posted by keeptrying
    on

so why is my belly staying fat

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello keeptrying,
    Don’t worry, I have also pondered why my belly is still looking prominent! I’ve lost inches off my waist & hips, my backside looks smaller. I am sure I have lost blubber off my belly it’s just that it always was quite noticeable. But when I thought about it, I remember that I always had a bit of a tummy even when I was in the 9stone area (long, long time ago) and considered slim. I think some fat reserves will hang on as long as they possibly can – the belly blubber has been there a long time, it may well be the last to shift.
    You are experiencing lots of benefits, so don’t worry about one aspect that hasn’t joined the party yet. It will happen.
    Keep trying, keeptrying! 🙂

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thanks for your reassurance rozydozy
    I certainly have plenty of belly blubber
    and yes I also had a tummy when young – but that was low tummy and due to an op

this is – well whole tummy
    I just wonder because the fd helped it go down almost weekly and there are LOTS of inches to go!!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think be patient. I seem to be getting thinner everywhere, but was told the subcutaneous fat below the navel is last to go. Persisting with the BSD will definitely shift it eventually. 🙂

• posted by keeptrying
    on

hmmm
    well it is not just there, but anyway we shall see

in a foul mood today, and have had first binge in almost 3 weeks
    a small binge in normal terms – but a binge never the less

talking to someone earlier realised I am trying to do about 3 diets at the same time
    maybe that is contributing to my rage
    trying to be gluten/grain free – trying to do bsd – trying to do reflux proof eating

some overlaps but doing head in

someone made some vegi sausage rolls today – they smelt and looked wonderful
    why am I giving this all up
    I hate myself so much

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Keeptrying,

If I may just say…you seem a little hard on yourself!

A small binge (or even a large one) is not a catastrophe, just a difficult moment – though I know it feels horrible😞 – been there!
    You have the knowledge and desire to succeed – so keep on keeping on! You are doing fine.

Imogen🌻

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thank you for your kind support

yes I am very negative and very self critical etc

feeling really rubbish right now
    yet again!!
    have thrown most of healthy dinner in the bin

unfortunately my mh is pretty poor and it makes everything much harder

sorry expect everyone is just seeing a whinger
    not meaning to be like that as really do want to do this and make changes
    but head does its own thing

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi keep trying,

We all give and receive support…that’s what the forums are for.

You are making changes, you started BSD… Celebrate every success, each and every good choice you make… Forget the rest!

May I ask…are you getting support for your mh?

Sending hugs,

Imogen🌻

• posted by keeptrying
    on

yes I have mh support
    but right now, this evening
    alone as usual

• posted by Imogen
    on

Sounds like the evening’s are more challenging for you at the moment?
    Can you treat yourself to a nice relaxing bath or pamper session?
    I sometimes use a hypnotherapy relaxation CD to get me past those rough moments or have a bit of a dance to my favourite tunes 🙌 – use whatever gets you through the day!

Imogen🌻

• posted by thepolly
    on

keeptrying,

loving your fat/bubble wrap image 😀

If you look at some of your earlier posts then you’ll see that you’ve come on leaps and bounds. MH is a total and utter (insert much swearing) there is no sense to depression which is where I have some issues. Can be great and then really low in the space of minutes. Following politics and stuff really doesn’t help me but it’s so addictive.

Sending you a supportive hug which you can take or leave as you like 😛

Polly x

• posted by keeptrying
    on

tv and crochet at the moment, Imogen
    had a very tricky and stressful day

polly you have much more faith in me than I do

I am so pleased to lose weight but all I want right now is my binge foods
    and I am scared to even have a cream cracker because I have stopped gluten

I look in my cupboards and I want to throw the gram and coconut and almond flour at the wall or the bin
    I am sick of trying to eat ‘healthy’ and ‘right’ even though it has only been so short a time
    my mh issues are pretty serious I guess and I just get so overwhelmed
    I just want to stuff my face and disappear

oh and supportive hugs are very welcome
    thank you – hugs back xx

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi keeptrying,

Thanks for the chickpea bread recipe link…looks delicious… and I really miss bread with my soup…may try these tomorrow!

Cooking and colouring in books (for grown ups naturally) both help keep my mind occupied…

Let me know how you get on with these,

Imogen🌻

• posted by smith
    on

Hi keeptrying,
    Thats a good name you picked there – it is a case of keep trying – don’t beat yourself up & sharing how you feel is important in this process – I am sure people who haven’t posted have read yours and understand how you are feeling.
    I am only day two & i am realising from these posts I have so much to learn !!!
    but we are lucky as there seems to be lots of lovely people prepared to share their knowledge.
    In Micahel Mosleys book – he says that he wrote three positive things that had happened or he had seen that day etc at the end of each day – he used the example of seeing a nice sunset, or being complimented etc
    That has kind of stuck with me because we know there are going to be days that completely suck for whatever reason – so if we can identify ANYTHING in that day that has made a smile, laugh appreciate the world around us etc then that is light in the dark.
    But whatever you do keep trying keep talking to us & keep trying ! you’ve done two weeks !! That seems a very long way away to me right now yikes!!

• posted by smith
    on

Oh Keeptrying I also meant to say thank you for the chickpea recipe – my friend is mauritian & makes this snack i think is call dhal puri , the mainstay of it is like a chickpea pancake – I am wondering how close to that it may taste !!
    anyone got any ideas with regards calories with that recipe !

• posted by keeptrying
    on

can a tech person please remove the link from my post above – as when I click on it now it seems to go to some weird server page that is giving out my ip address

the recipe is for authentic chickpea flatbread and is on the ‘inpersuitofmore.com’ website

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well good morning
    and another weigh day
    I am certainly not seeing the incredible weight losses of others

but I have dropped another 2lb this week so I guess that is ok

my hips have got a bit smaller – but my waist has got an inch bigger so I am not at all impressed with that
    I only record measurements once every 4 weeks and I have a very long way to go before I am anything like a healthy weight

also the percentage of fat in my body seems to have risen

could it be that while everyone else loses fat when they eat fat/low carb – that I actually don’t?
    omg I hope not

may I just add that whilst I am eating full fat yoghurt and don’t worry about a bit of oil/butter in cooking
    I am NOT eating tonnes of fatty foods

• posted by keeptrying
    on

perhaps the problem is I don’t eat enough veg

plates full of salad just do nothing for me except make me gag

I think it has all become too complicated in my head

I need to just have fish and veg or meat and veg maybe

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi keep trying,

Keeping it simple works for me!

Helps to not get too bogged down in the detail…eating meat/fish with a variety of ‘above ground’ vegetables makes meal planning easier!

Keep going…you are getting there 😊

Imogen,x

• posted by keeptrying
    on

yes you are right

it seems to have imploded inside my stupid head

I feel so angry today
    I walked through town earlier and was angry because I wanted a greggs sausage roll
    because I wanted ham and pizza and crisps dah dah dah dah

I am having stuffed pepper and salad but I don’t want it
    I am making more coconut flatbreads but I don’t want them either
    I want to stuff my face with junk food

I should be happy to eat like this, it is meant to be making me feel great but it isn’t
    and yet it is no ones choice but mine, I realise that

aaaarrrrgggghhhh the conflict

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

This is your carb addiction speaking to you. Keep strong – it DOES fade. You’ve been controlled by its hormonal effect for years – boot it out and TAKE BACK YOUR BODY.

You can do it!!!!!

• posted by keeptrying
    on

indeed, igorasusual – you are probably right – well I hope so
    although I know my mh affects all this too

but yes – I have a very angry CARB BRAIN screaming to be filled

I have yet to find anything equally fulfilling – but then perhaps that is a good thing – so food can become less addictive and even perhaps a pleasurable experience at some point in the future

• posted by KJ77
    on

I feel your pain. I keep telling myself I am eating to fuel my body not for pleasure and slowly my mind set is changing, although I had some frozen yoghurt this afternoon I am not having dinner as a result. Keep going it will click!

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thanks KJ

I am still sitting here – it is half 11 and I have been trying to get myself out of the door for a walk, for hours

living in a small flat means I don’t have to move around much at home, although I could of course do lots of cleaning!!

but I need to get outside or I know I will just start eating again

I really need to plan my meals more carefully – but I seem to find planning anything so incredibly difficult and overwhelming – it drives me nuts – well, more nuts!!

people say keep it simple, I say keep it simple, yet even that doesn’t seem to work

and I read the threads on here – and people seem to be doing so well

sorry, I sound so miserable and moany, and really I am grateful for the kindness of others here, and their ideas, and their encouragement

ok now I will shut up and go for a walk, and stress about lunch a bit later

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi keeptrying,
    Hope you managed to get yourself out of your flat and do a walk – hope breathing in fresh air has helped.

You sound like you are in a hole the size of the Grand Canyon – I know you have a right old assortment of issues to contend with and you can’t see the wood for the trees at the moment. But there is the adage that when you hit rock bottom there is only one way to go – and that is UP!

How about giving yourself a little treat (non-food!), give yourself something to look forward to, just something that will give you a little pleasure, try and take your mind off all these things that are bugging you if only for a short while. Then maybe you will see things a bit more clearly – a bit like looking for something that you know you’ve left somewhere, you go away and do something else, and then all of a sudden you find the thing you couldn’t find earlier.

When I feel overwhelmed with stuff what usually helps for me is to make a decision to do just one thing & get it done even if it’s just ironing, or washing up – that way I feel like I’ve achieved something for the day (I’m not exactly setting the bar high). Then when I’m in the groove I find I can get other stuff done. Yes, it usually requires thought, writing a list, planning what to do. The hardest part is not the doing, it’s making the decision in the first place. Do you have anyone close who could perhaps help with menu planning? Knowing what you want to eat should help with shopping – then you won’t buy stuff that could go to waste, or stuff that’s off-limits.

Don’t stress about lunch – just grab yourself a bite to eat to keep body & soul together. The afternoon is still to come…attack it with renewed energy & positivity.
    Take care.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

what a kind reply, thank you rozydozy

yes I did get out eventually, gone 12!!

you are so right about the getting started thing, I seem to get so bound up in the thinking and just drown in it

I have ordered yet more wool, for my crochet – so I guess that is a treat I can’t eat!!
    I also have some more recipe books coming for grain free food

oh
    and when I got in, I found a small tin of salmon, so mashed it with last avocado, had half of it in two lettuce leaves with some coleslaw
    it was quite good – and no I didn’t make the coleslaw
    of course my mouth is waiting for pudding

feeling very drained, may just go to sleep
    wonder if that will burn any calories
    well at least it will stop me downing any more

hope you are having a good day x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Keeptrying — your posts reminded me of something that I thought you might benefit from — one of the things that has happened to me over the last 12 weeks on the BSD is that when I stopped eating all the time, I suddenly found myself facing and dealing with several old issues that I thought I had resolved, but obviously had not resolved because they came up again. One of them was anger at a difficult family member and I really felt, maybe for the first time, how much that person’s bad behavior had affected me throughout my life. And I got very very angry. But for the first time ever, I just sat with those feelings and let myself feel them. Then I made a plan on how to fix the interaction and I have been working on the fix-it plan for weeks. So far, it has been mixed results. The difficult person is himself very angry at me for changing the life-long pattern. And initially I was upset by his anger. But I just sat with the feelings and didn’t “stuff” them down. Every day the mental distress is less and I get more comfortable with the uncertainty and his anger (and his retaliation). Not eating food when I am stressed has freed up a lot of psychic energy to both look honestly at things and deal with things. Possibly your deep struggles are not about pudding but something else. I hope my story might be helpful. We all are sending you our positive energy. You’re going to make it — I’m sure of it. Be strong.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

oh bless you californiagirl
    yes indeed
    pudding is really the very tiniest of my struggles
    I am afraid my anger is coming through in my posts and I am so very sorry to everyone for that

your story is helpful although the people that the anger belongs to cannot be told
    so I take most of my anger out upon myself in rather self destructive ways
    and that has of course included food – which I am currently not using!!

I think – whether we are able to confront people in reality – or just in our head – it is such an important part of healing

recently in a mh group we had a discussion about forgiveness and I was telling them about someone who I had forgiven for what she did
    it was a huge thing – but it needs to come from within us and actually helps US heal

but much of what has happened I blame myself for and despite whatever others say I don’t seem able to escape that
    and so I have to be punished

the food
    is a punishment as well as a comfort

really I am meant to be concentrating on overcoming my binge eating disorder
    but I badly need to lose weight and it feels like this is the year I need to do it

I had gf sausages with veg for tea with cauliflower mash and a few strawberries and yog

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi again, keeptrying,
    Salmon & avocado sounds great – one of my fave combinations. And your tea sounds good too.
    A good kip may well help, I like a bit of a lie-in on a non-work day just to extend my overnight fast period – your body does keep ticking over while you are asleep. And being rested does make the old noddle feel a bit clearer.
    Nice to hear you like crochet – I’ve done a bit myself, but I’m more of a knitter these days. Not having loads of relatives to knit for I knit stuff for charity – it keeps my mind (& hands) occupied, and it does some good for people who need it.

Reading your previous message – OK, you may blame yourself for some of the things that have happened in your life (rightly or wrongly) but there comes a time when you need to accept that what’s done is done, it’s passed into history, so it’s important to let it go and move on. Easier said than done, I know – I’m guilty of running things through my mind months/years after they happened. Thinking things through to achieve an understanding is one thing but too much navel-gazing can just paralyse us.

Anyway, I hope you get your head together and things become easier for you.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

currently seem to be putting on weight
    not really sure why
    not binged and not had masses of carbs
    but then also not moved around much

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi keeptrying

I think the scales can be the enemy here, we all get invested in those pounds/kilos.

My OH weighed himself the other morning and said he was a pound up. Then he measured himself again later and was 2 pounds down!

I decided not to worry about the scales but concentrate on the losses round the waist, thighs, etc – test by clothes and belts as MM suggests – if you are feeling looser clothes, then some fat is going from somewhere, even if it’s round your organs.

If you are keeping your carbs low, measuring your calories well (and checking on the calorie load of sneaky stuff like a bit of olive oil for frying), and drinking lots, then THE WEIGHT WILL GO!

Please don’t get discouraged – put the scales away for the moment and concentrate on feeling good and if you can doing a bit of walking.

Good luck!

• posted by keeptrying
    on

of course you are right
    if I play by the rules, it will work

the rules are evading me
    I feel uncomfortable and in need of ‘bad’ foods
    I will come back if I can do this properly

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi keeptrying,
    If you are still reading these messages, I’m sorry that you are still feeling uncomfortable. Remember, you are better than the “bad” foods, don’t let them get the better of you. You chose as your name “keeptrying” – I suspect there is an inner core of determination within you. I hope you find your way back when you are better able to cope with things.
    Take care.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

just passed by and noticed your reply
    how kind
    thank you rozydozy

head is not good
    have also given in to bad eating including a whole packet of cheddars for lunch, and copious other things
    (so have blown the wheat free as well)

have ordered all fresh produce, chicken, fish, and veg for Tesco delivery tomorrow and hoping that will work out

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hope things are better for you Keep Trying — I know it is easy to get mad at ourselves when we think we’ve “blown it” — I try to remind myself that “perfect” is the enemy of good. I had a lot of not-so-perfect days in the past 13 weeks, but overall it has been of great benefit. Sending you warm thoughts.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thank you californiagirl

I have the chicken roasting in the oven and veg all prepared
    and as it is now finally warm weather, I am drinking more again

I am reading ‘protein power’ which is the same way of eating as this – it is a cheap used copy I got from amazon, but it has a great list of fruit/veg carbs in 5g portions so that might help me a bit

• posted by keeptrying
    on

ok, so I have managed to ‘behave’ food wise since sunday
    and it seems like I am hopefully losing the 2lb I put back on last week that I had lost the week before
    talk about yo-yo!!

anyway I have a question about ketosis
    I have already read some online and here so I am hoping this is what I am experiencing

past few days VERY tired as in could hardly keep eyes open at times
    and then headaches for 3 days (but had thought that was the stuffy weather)
    but massive thirst – drank about 3 litres of water yesterday as well as teas
    and then just feeling a bit shaky like I might pass out, and weak, and sick, and a bit breathless
    and pulse weak

trouble is parts of that are similar to my anxiety, but it is not the same
    oh well I guess no one can say for sure unless I was blood tested which I am not going to be unless it gets worse
    which hopefully it wont

incredible really isn’t it
    all those years of bingeing and the side effects (apart from getting fat of course) were far less worrying than all the things I seem to be encountering now
    its like my body is punishing me

Please log in or register to post a reply.