My first day on BSD… nervous

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sonia1986
    on

I’m 30 years and a type 2 diabetic. i have been diabetic for the past 16 years. Truth be told I’ve never took my diabetes seriously, i was still eating really badly and was in denial about it as i wanted to be ‘normal’ like everybody else.
    Since August 2016 i have been experiencing extreme pain in both my hands, fingers and wrist, i went to the doctors and he didn’t know what it could be, i had some blood tests and was told i was vitamin d deficient as mine was only 15 and it the levels should be 50 or over. i was put on a course of vitamin d tablets. Soon i started experiencing pain in my knees to the point someday i’d wake up and i couldn’t walk, i put this down to the low vitamin d, as i was told it take time for the vitamins to work.
    i’d wake up in the morning with my hands feel very stiff and painful, and decided to go back to the doctors. he decided to refer me to the rheumatology clinic. i had an appointment for December therefor a 2 month wait. By that point i was already getting pain in my shoulders and arms, where some days i couldn’t move my arms. My results came back from the clinic and i was told that i was negative for arthritis and inflammation, i don’t agree as i definitely have inflammation in my body. However i was told that my sugar was really high and that is what is causing the pain.
    Since then i have lost a little bit of weight but the pain hasn’t subsided. i wake up every morning stiff and in pain. my shoulders, arms, knees and hands have gotten worse and i cant cope any longer as this as been going on for over 6 months. i dont enjoy life as much as use to as the pain is constantly on my mind. as the minimal of tasks such as opening a bottle of water i cant do it so have to use my teeth. and more recently my upper back and feet have started to hurt. i cant talk to anybody about it as they must become fed up of being talking about it.
    i guess what I'[m hoping is that i stay motivated and this diet works for me and gets rid of the pain. As i naively never linked muscular/joint pain to diabetes. I’m currently taking Tramodol and Pregabalin, which isn’t easing the pain.
    i have been going for massages, acupuncture and have recently started exercising 3/4 times a week at the gym.
    Is there anybody else in the same situation as me as i’d love to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Sonia

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi Sonia,
    I can sympathise somewhat with your situation. I have had joint pains more and more in the last couple of years. My knees, back and feet. I have weeks where walking is nigh on impossible. I am a community nurse. I often laugh with my patients saying they are in better shape than me!
    At the moment I am good. I am trying to do more exercise. I spend the majority of my working day in the car or sat at a desk. I try to increase the amount of steps I take each day but I do find it really difficult.
    I have done the blood sugar diet in the past and reduced my pre breakfast BM from 14 to 6 but I fell off the wagon thinking that I had cracked it and that I was ok really. I’m not ok though. When the pain hits, it really hits.
    I am 50 this year and I have two children still at home with me. Both my parents died in their early 50’s and I am conscious that I am now nearly the same age as them. I want to be here for my kids and hopefully get to meet some grand children one day!
    Stay in touch, let me know how you are going on. I think you will find the change in diet will really help.
    Good luck.
    Lisa

Please log in or register to post a reply.