My BSD Anniversary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

One year ago today, I started the BSD. It was the first time I’d ever counted calories or carbs. It was the first time I’d ever been on a formal diet of any kind, truth be told, although I had already cut out all bad carbs 6 months earlier. I had soy cereal with soy milk for breakfast, chicken salad with field greens stuffed in a low-carb pita, an avocado baked with smoked salmon and eggs for dinner. It was a more innocent time, when I used a lot more low-carb substitutes and before I started spending days making things like dehydrated seasoned Brazil nuts.

In the 365 days I have gone off-plan exactly once — mom’s mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving cannot be denied — and that was a deliberate choice. Even then I had only two spoonfuls, which took an enormous act of will because I could easily plant my face in the serving bowl and devour it all like a dog. They truly are the greatest of all mashed potatoes. The rest of the time I have been on the Fast 800 non-stop. No breaks. No cheat days. No vacation splurges. No “odd glass” of anything.

I didn’t weigh myself until the 4th week (I figured why break a 15-year streak of avoiding scales just because I was trying something new) so I don’t know the exact figure, but in this past year I have lost more than 160 pounds. I have good reason to believe the total is closer to 180 pounds, but best to keep the estimate conservative. From 300+ pounds to 141.2 as of this morning. Thirty inches gone from my waist alone. Twenty-five from my hips. Twenty from my bust. And I’m not done yet. My goal is 120 lbs, if at all possible. That would put me squarely in the low middle of my healthy BMI (I’m 5’2″) and at my lowest adult weight before I began the slow but inexorable climb into obesity.

This has been a life-changing experience for me. I have discovered strengths in myself that I never knew I had. I faced hard truths I’d successfully avoided for going on two decades. I don’t recognize my reflection. I sometimes think this is some kind of weird fever dream or a sick prank the world is playing on me and Rod Serling is going to pop up out of the bushes with a cigarette and some erudite musing on how fantasies can seem like reality when you cross into … THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

But the BSD Zone is real and I’m living proof.

• posted by PurplePetunia
    on

WOW! Congratulations for all your success and perseverance to get to your goal weight. It’s not an easy thing. Keep on keeping on!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Wow! What an inspirational story Esnecca. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us all. You must be so proud of your achievement. I am totally in awe of you.

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Thats amazing!! You are inspirational!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU….I think you are amazing. Your story is one of courage and committment. If I can do half as well as you I will be thrilled. I am however, going to try and do exactly what you have done. I don’t see this as a “way of eating” I see this as a Way of Life. You have proved it is achievable and I am thankful to you for that.

Best wishes.
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

That is one heck of an anniversary Esnecca — huge and enthusiastic congratulations on your achievement. Truly amazing!!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Truly inspirational Esnecca – a real testament to both this WOE and your commitment. Well done and here’s to the next anniversary ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Congratulations Esnecca. What an achievement.Thank you for sharing your BSD journey with us.
    You are right – the BSD ‘zone’ is real – and the reflection you now see in the mirror is really you.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Many congratulations Esnecca, that is a glorious achievemebtvand you are a true inspiration. I look forward to hearing about your continuing journey and successes! Xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy Birthday!!! Truly inspiring Esnecca! You make me realise that I am just ‘playing ‘ at this and it’s only the real commitment like yours that leads to such fantastic results.

Whether you do lose more or not you have reached a marvellous goal. Here’s hoping your new year is a happy and above all, a healthy one.

• posted by topcac
    on

Wow – many congratulations – what an inspiration. I will send all my best wishes for that extra 20lbs but, whatever happens, you have done SO well and are living proof that, if you stick to it, you can do it. Enjoy your successes and here’s to a happy healthy lifestyle

TC

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Many congratulations, and good luck attaining an end point you are happy with and staying there. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ I can hardly imagine how much your life has changed, although I sometimes get the same feeling of looking at a stranger in the mirror.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Congratulations Esnecca, you are amaaaaaaaazing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Way to go Esnecca!!!!

Huge congratulations on your brilliant achievement and on your fortitude and determination to go on and lose more. Incredible results can be achieved if we are focussed enough and apply ourselves and you have proved that in spades. I struggle when buying clothes these days, as I can’t get used to not having to buy baggy stuff to hide a multitude of sins and I haven’t achieved anything like as much as you have, so your new body must feel like a complete revelation to you. You’ve certainly worked for it and deserve it!

Keep going and please keep posting.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Having been a way for a while I log on and this is the first post I see.
    That is a fantastic result Ensnecca. You have changed your way of life and your diet.
    Congratulations. Like someone else has said you are and inspiration and I admire your determination and focus.

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

WOW!
    Congratulations Ensnecca, a true inspiration to someone who has been struggling these last few weeks – I will take myself off and give myself a good talking to an reread your amazing achievements to spur me on and believe that it is possible to change both physically and mentally.

Good luck as you carry on to your target and please keep posting, it’s so encouraging to hear from others that have chosen to go on beyond the initial 8 weeks and learn that it is doable with amazing results.

Again WOW ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Thank you for your warm congratulations in this thread, and most importantly, for all the support you’ve given me over the year. Even when I wasn’t posting I read the forum every day and your contributions were invaluable in helping me stay focused through a half-dozen plateau meltdowns and in adjusting my approach to food and drink over time. Because I had so far to go, I really needed the full-immersion in the WOE and the aid of fellow travelers provided by this wonderful community.

Please log in or register to post a reply.