Muscle weakness

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Hi, I am just 8 days in to the BSD, I enjoy doing a weight training class at my gym twice a week but have found my strength is much reduced and my muscles really ache during the exercise, has anyone else experienced this or any tips to get round the problem would be great, thank you.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

ETO
    Interesting. It would be easier to skip the exercise and stick to 800 of course.
    My anecdotal non-expert experience so far:
    I am also 8 days into BSD but being a tiny bit flexible with calories on exercise days, whilst weaning myself off carbs. In theory you are meant to ignore calories used but not sure how realistic that is.
    My Saturday and Monday exercise sessions went as normal, though I was in warm up mode for BSD so slightly over on cals those days, and buzzing from the initial effects of feeling healthier and virtuous.
    Yesterday I started with a 100 calorie blueberry tea shake prior to a spin class and then gym – used est 650 cals. I was worried about small breakfast but was ok and enjoyed both, though did 40 mins vs 50 in gym since I felt like I’d done ‘enough’ and was a bit pushed for time.
    I felt a minor ache in my leg muscles later on in the afternoon – as if cramp imminent.
    I drank plenty, and overall consciously had nearer 1100 cals vs 800 planned. I ate a veg lunch out which was +100 and also “needed” a healthy snack on top of menu dinner later on. Book says better to have something rather than lapse into sweet stuff which is the main point for me.

• posted by Buxtonmick
    on

After five and a half weeks in I’ve found I seem to have adjusted and 3 times a week weight training is as normal now. Keep going and see how you do!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s good to know Mick. Well done for your perseverance ๐Ÿ™‚

Jackie Wilsonsaid – you are doing brilliantly too – the pair of you are showing the way re exercise!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Thank you, I will try and keep going, may try adding a little more fat too to see if that helps, my intake so far has been very low. Thanks again

• posted by lauren
    on

I would say that increasing your fat intake could definitely be worth a go – it seems to work for me anyway. I’m on day 12 and have stuck to 800 calories a day so far, with low carbs and a decent amount of fat and protein and I haven’t noticed any difference in my exercise classes (2 of which weight training) so far. You’re still at the very early stages of your body adapting to the new eating regime, so as Mick says it should get easier from here ๐Ÿ™‚ hope you find something that works for you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.