Missing the fibre of grains

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elsie 45
    on

I eat plenty of veg eg green veg and homemade coleslaw with red and green cabbage.However I think cutting out oats rye etc is making me a bit constipated. Too much information I know but can be a real problem.
    Tea party at church for Queen birthday so today will be a challenge

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Elsie
    if you type constipation in the search box (top right hand corner) there is a whole thread on it, with several suggestions offered. Personally, I’m finding the occasional senna tablet helps, but I don’t want to take them every day.

My feeling is that my body, & more particularly digestive system, has had so many years of having so much superfluous junk to get rid of, it’s got a bit lazy and has to adapt to the new normal.
    Interestingly, I reverted to some old metformin (which I couldn’t tolerate because of digestive problems, so was switched to extended release ones) – I now seem fine on the ordinary ones now that I’m not eating piles of rubbish.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Elsie,
    have you tried adding in seeds like pumpkin, linseed (flax), sunflower and a few almonds? I replaced took out oats in home made muesli and now add 3g of eat of these seeds to full fat yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast and that certainly helps. I am sure I have also seen chia seeds being used to help with constipation on one forum thread. Drinking some extra fluid may help as well.
    If you put ‘constipation; into the search box, you will see lots of threads where it is discussed and may get more ideas.
    Good luck

• posted by southern
    on

Why have you cut out grains ? I thought you just reduced the portions ?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Grains are high in carbohydrates and so many of us have cut them out completely for this reason. Some people find that they can get away with including a small portion of oats for breakfast though, so it is very much up to the individual how they approach using grains or not and still keeping their carb intake down.

Chia seeds are a great help with constipation and I also include inulin in my daily supplements. These two together, have really sorted my sluggish bowel, which has been an issue for my entire life, not just since being on the BSD. Inulin does have a tendency to increase wind though, so I also take charcoal to counteract that not so pleasant issue. Orchid is correct about making sure you are well hydrated, as this is an important factor for good bowel function. Finally, a magnesium supplement taken at night, can also help get things moving too.

Hope you manage to find a way to get your bowels functioning well again soon.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I totally agree with Orchid and SunnyB that seeds do provide lots of fibre. My favourite is ground flaxseed which I either add to soup or mix with Kefir or yoghurt or just sprinkle in a stir fry. They have lots of fibre and not many net carbs. Inulin is the other fibre that I take daily added to yoghurt and Kefir.

They don’t work, however, unless you also add water which is equally – or even more important when it comes to banishing ‘slow transit’. I have definitely found you need both the fibre and the water.

Please log in or register to post a reply.