Missing the crunch in my food…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ShellBrum
    on

Does anyone have any suggestions for homemade crunchy foods? I am new to this style of diet and miss toasted bread!

• posted by Frog
    on

not lots, bit carby, but raw white cabbage – lovely spread with hummus
    nuts
    cauliflower rice – raw or microwaved just enough to heat it but not soften it
    somewhere I used to work sued to serve parmesan lollipops as canapes (melted parmesan that has hardened – stick optional) I had some melted cheese that had done the same when I was cooking the other day – delicious!

I suppose you could try baking a gram flour batter until it went crispy

• posted by tigs
    on

I have got back into sprouting things and pea shoots are amazing! Just had a salad and they made it super crunchy and tasty

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sprouting things is a great idea, tigs. I hadn’t thought about that. If I recall rightly, it ups the protein content amazingly. Years since I’ve sprouted beans and lentils. Thanks for the reminder.

I was going to say the same as Frog, nuts. Almonds in particular are very crunchy.
    Raw veg is another: in salads or as sticks for dipping in tzaziki or hummus.

Or you could try these:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/chickpea-crackers/

If it’s chewiness you want, there are also these:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/chickpea-flour-pancakes/

• posted by Verano
    on

I feel a little like that sometimes so occasionally I have Nairn’s fine milled oat cakes with a strong cheese … just two!!! They are 36 cals each and 4.3 carbs so not too bad as long as you can stop at a couple!!

• posted by fiftyfifty
    on

Have you tried making seed crackers? They are my new favourite snack. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve made these since discovering the recipe. It’s from a book called ‘Real Meal Revolution’ by Tim Noakes et al. which follows the same principles of the BSD / LCHF way of eating.

50g sunflower seeds
    50g pumpkin seeds
    50g sesame seeds
    30g flaxseeds (aka linseeds)
    1 1/2 tablespoons psyllium husks
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    200ml water

Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, add water, and leave to stand for 15 minutes, while you preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.

After 15 minutes the seed mixture will be all ‘gloopy’. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper, divide the mixture between the two baking sheets, and use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture as thinly and evenly as possible.

Place trays on the middle racks of the oven and set timer for 1 hour.

After an hour rotate trays and turn them around, then set timer for another 20 minutes.

After an hour and 20 minutes they should be nicely browned and crisp. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and break into cracker size pieces. Store in an airtight container.

These are very yummy and moreish! Nice with cheese, avocado, olives and cherry tomatoes. Good portable emergency snack. I’ve even grabbed a few of these and a babybel cheese for a quick breakfast on the run and found it surprisingly satisfying.

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Me too . This sounds a fantastic recipe, so I’m replying as much to ensure it gets saved into my personal posts. I love a crunch!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I ocassionally have a Ryvita, 27 cals 6.7 grams carb – wow really, just looked on the packed. Still it is about 2 per week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl

Think your Ryvita are a better bargain than my oat cakes …. Twice the size and twice the crunch!!

• posted by ShellBrum
    on

Thank you for so many suggestions! Will shop for both cracker recipe ingredients and get baking I think!

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

I recently found how to make crackers with ground almonds, egg, and salt and pepper. I just throw everything together, now, so if you need a recipe, sorry but you’ll have to google for one!
    fiftyfifty’s recipe has given me the idea of adding seeds to the mix, but I’ll need to cut down on the ground almonds/pay more attention to how much of everything I use.
    If I get it to work, I’ll post the recipe here. 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I have been having the occassional Finn Crisp cracker with a bit of cheese. They are super thin and crispy, so one or two goes a long way to satisfy the need for crunch. The ingredients are whole grain rye flour, water, salt and yeast, and they work out to 22.5 calories and 3.75g net carbs each.
    I’ve just found a recipe for avocado crisps which I’m thinking of trying. Basically just mashed avocado with cheese, salt and whatever seasonings you want, formed into discs and cooked in the oven. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.