Make your own Pasta?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Has anyone tried to make their own low carb pasta? I know you can buy chick pea pasta but I was wondering if I could make my own.

What are my chances of success?

• posted by Izzy
    on

well I decided to just jump in…

I used this recipe https://glutenfreegirl.com/2011/07/gluten-free-fresh-pasta/

I just used gram flour, partly because I don’t like it in baking so I wanted to use it up. I also didn’t have psyllium husks, so I added a tbsp of milled flax.

It actually turned out pretty well and I would eat it again, however once I typed it all into my fitbit- I’d eaten 1/4 of the recipe and the pasta alone was 24.7g carbs, not counting the veg and tomato that I served it in. I can’t afford that amount of carbs regularly but as a one off I’m sure it is ok.

Interestingly substituting almond flour for the same quantity is lower calorie and very low carb, so next time I want a pasta fix I’m going to try that instead. I hope it works as well because this lunch was nice!

When you compare my serving of gram flour pasta to a serving of normal pasta it still compares well, Fitbit says the following…

pasta twists/serving – 266 calories, 54g carbs
    my portion of gram pasta -165 calories, 24.7g carbs
    if the almond flour works it would be – 134 calories and 1.7g carbs.

• posted by pennyrua
    on

ooohh, sounds amazing. I usually live on pasta and am really missing it.

Thanks for posting!

• posted by Izzy
    on

it was really nice. I’m actually thinking it was worth the carbs!

Please log in or register to post a reply.