Low Platelets

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Had my hBa1c done yesterday, and the GPs phoned me this morning to say that one of the tests done on the blood came back showing ‘low platelets’ and they wanted me in again in a month for another blood test to keep an eye on it.

Was wondering if this was a diet related thing? Had this happened to anybody else – I am vegetarian too.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Ziggy

Well, that’s an interesting one. I’m not a medic as I know I mentioned before, so I’ve done just what you will have done, which is googled it.

Doesn’t seem to tell you much, does it. Could be a number of things, or, I would assume, just a freak result. You might have relatively low platelet count, and this last test was a little below your usual, taking you into the ‘keep an eye on it’ zone. Do you have any records of what it was before? Or perhaps you could talk to your GP about what might be the cause? Probably he/she will say, don’t worry, we’ll look into it if/when it shows a declining trend.

But Mr Google didn’t seem to suggest that one of the causes was diet, did it. So probably not. Never heard of it connected with vegetarian diet, either.

sorry not to be more help. Perhaps someone else has come across it?

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Thanks Igorasusual,

I reckon that the platelets test is just one of the blood tests included in the Hab1c. I wasn’t aware it was until they phoned me today, so all my previous tests must have been Ok. I go to the GP on 24th for my results so I reckon she will mention it then – although all that has been arranged at the moment is for me to call in in about a month for another test – just to keep an eye on it, so I’m not overly worried, more curious as to why?

I thought I would post in case somebody else had the same result in case it was a little known effect of the diet, which is all that I have changed recently (apart from upping my exercise a bit)

You were plenty help BTW

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Ziggy – don’t think it’s part of the Hba1c test, it’s just one of the many tests which can be done on a general blood test.

OH’s last bloods showed marginal under on white, red and platelet (he’s just reminded me) and he was a little concerned as he has previously had very low levels – severe anaemia – as a result of internal bleeding, the causes of which we had hoped had been dealt with.

He’s been given low dose of iron tablets and will know more about whether this measure is trending downwards when we go to get the results of his last set of tests (including Hba1c) next Tuesday. I will ask about the platelets bit of it when I see her.

The internal machinations of the body are both fascinating and mysterious aren’t they.

I suppose you could eat a bit more spinach to see if that helps!!!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Eat more spinach – ha I’m already wearing a sailor’s outfit and getting anchor tattoos.

It must have been a test ordered up at the same time as my Hba1c – I know they also do a full cholesterol breakdown test too. OH should drink Guinness – they used to prescribe that to women who had just given birth to replenish iron!

Thanks again Igorasusual

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I was horribly anaemic a few years ago
    the spinach thing is a bit of a myth! Like all leafy green veg, it does have good iron content, but it is hard to absorb
    to increase your ability to absorb the iron, have it with vitamin c – squirt of lemon juice is good
    also. avoid caffeine with your meal (I used to cut out caffeinated drinks for about an hour either side of eating, and at one point, altogether)

If you are prescribed iron tablets, or buy them at a pharmacy, if they don’t agree with you, go back for a different formulation if things don’t settle down after a couple of days.
    If you’re taking tablets but they give you severe diarrhea, chances are you’ll lose more iron than you ingest.
    I couldn’t tolerate ferrous sulphate, but was OK with ferrous gluconate which I think may be prescription only.

• posted by Autumn
    on

I was anemic for many years and my best friend was “Floravital”. It’s basically liquid iron but derived fully from plant sources, so super easy to digest and use. It really perked me right up! It’s liquid, and tastes almost like grape juice 🙂 They also make Floradix, but Floravital is their vegan version – it’s yeast free, and tastes better imo.

Anyway, if you need end up needing iron, I highly recommend it!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Oh I know of all the iron supplements as my OH was slightly anaemic and in this area farmers used to use Floradex during harvest times when they would be working literally from dawn to dusk. GP hasn’t suggested anything other than another blood test in a months time. Thanks Autumn

Please log in or register to post a reply.