Low carb diet in Hong Kong?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

I am going to Hong Kong in 3 weeks time to watch the Hong Kong 7’s (rugby) and as I think a lot of dishes are served with rice I am wondering what I can eat and not spoil 7 weeks of healthy eating. I have a seen ew restaurants, on net, which serve low carb meals but dont think some of them are too near where we are staying. I do like fish so maybe that could be a starting point. We just get breakfast at hotel and will be at stadium for 3 days and eating out rest of time. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I lived in Hong Kong until last year. You could eat the soups that all small restaurants sell, just leave the noodles at the bottom of the bowl.Most local restaurants don’t actually bring rice as a matter of course. It is usually served at the end as a filler if anyone is still hungry. Just order the meat fish or chicken and some veg dishes. Look for Western supermarkets like Taste, Great, Jason’s Marketplace, they all have salad bars where you could buy a prepared bowl and take it into the stadium for lunch. Buy a cheap insulated cool bag from Japan Home Stores( bright yellow shopfronts) because it will be hot. Korean restaurants with built in BBQ s in the tables let you cook your own meat and you can have veg and not order rice or noodles. Dairy is harder to find, but again the Western supermarkets all sell yogurt and to a lesser extent cheese. Well done on getting sevens tickets they are like gold dust in HK! Don’t forget your fancy dress outfit!

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Thank you so much for your post it is really helpful and I am so pleased that there are a few options for me. I had assumed that everything would be with rice. Brilliant idea to take salad to stadium will definitely do that. Can you take food into Hong Kong? Am going to see if I can take pre packed nuts or snacks. We have wanted to go to sevens for years but could never get tickets so decided to bite the bullet and go with a Gullivers Travels package which includes tickets . My husband is now 70 and if we dont go soon we might never get there! Still deciding on fancy dress but will be getting something. Hope you are doing well on BSD.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Yes you could take sealed packs of nuts but again you can buy them in a supermarket over there. Just a note re buying lunch. Supermarkets and in fact all shops don’t open til 10 or 11 in the morning but are open until 10 or 11 at night so if you have a fridge in your room buy the lunch the night before. To augment your lunchtime salad, you can easily buy cooked chicken in supermarkets and again keep in fridge overnight. Restaurants open up and close down at a rapid pace in HK so don’t rely on web sites. Open rice is a good restaurant review site and it does post in English. Be aware fish will come complete with head and tail and you may have to select your live one from a tank. For coffees, there is of course Starbucks but I preferred a chain called Pacific Coffee. Outback is a chain of Western style chicken, rib and steak restaurants and they do salad and coleslaw as a sides option. They also bring a loaf of delicious malty bread and you are on holiday………

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Just printed off your suggestions to take away. thanks again for all your wonderful help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.