Low blood sugar symptoms – will it pass?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alibobs
    on

Hi
    Just looking for advice. I’m not diabetic, but I am self-diagnosed as being on the cusp of pre-diabetes.

I started the diet yesterday and today I’m experiencing (what I’ve always assumed to be) low blood sugar symptoms: sweaty from the armpits upwards and a wobbly feeling, especially in the limbs. This was normal for me in the past on the rare occasion I went too long between meals (eating regularly is a key strategy for managing my migraines). I’m just hoping this ‘symptom’ is going to even out and stop as my body-chemistry resets. Does anyone think it will? Anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone think it is something else altogether? I’m keen that it doesn’t escalate to headaches/migraines.

Cheers.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It may be carb withdrawal, but that is an unusually fast reaction if it is. How far have you cut the carbs? Are you following the book meal plans or going it alone? If you give us some more information about the migraines and your regular eating and how you are doing that within the principles of the BSD we may be able to suggest some strategies to try.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I agree, Alibobs – How frequently were you eating prior to beginning
    the BSD, mini snacks or actual meals, and the period of time
    between them vs what you have embarked on since yesterday?
    There is a lot of knowledge and experience here, but it would
    only be blind conjecture without additional information.
    Best of luck to you,

Allie

• posted by Alibobs
    on

Thanks guys. Some more details then.

I am going it alone but using what I’ve learnt from the book and recipes as inspiration. Probably best just to tell you want I’m eating since it’s only been a couple of days.

day 1
    B = scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
    L = chicken breast and olives
    T = cauliflower rice, lamb mince, olives and spices

day 2
    B =FF greek yoghurt and blueberries
    L = flat mushrooms with baked beans and feta
    T = smoked salmon salad inc. olives and chopped nuts

day 3
    B = FF greek yoghurt and blueberries

I had a mild headache this morning when I woke but it has gone again now.
    As regards my migraines, I used to try and eat every 4 to 5 hours (snack or meal). Food is only a secondary trigger for me and I’ve been managing them so well (6 years work) that I feel confident enough to risk this diet but I make sure to have 3 meals.

I notice the symptoms peak during the afternoon to early evening and I can alleviate them with a half-hour sit down/rest.

Just wondered about my drinking habits – if they are unusual and a contributor. I always try to drink lots as it’s a primary trigger for my migraines. Since I started the diet, my mouth feels a little odd/dry and I want to drink constantly to relieve it. I’m not fighting the urge because I know dehydration is a risk with the drop in food intake. However, I drink water and lots of zero calorie carbonated drinks which I know aren’t the best choice but I wanted to cut myself some slack (I’ve never enjoyed hot drinks of any kind). I am still at the stage of feeling hungry and a little weak and a tasty class of fizz makes me feel better psychologically.

Grateful for any advice, but at the end of the day the symptoms are only unpleasant, not dreadful. People cope with so much worse.

Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Alibobs, the thing with the low blood sugar you are experiencing (if that is what it is) is it is quite normal when people dont have enough food. There is nothing to worry about as you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic. Your body in perfectly capable of producing its own glucose when you dont. A small snack might help if you feel a bit shaky but as MnM says, it is probably carb withdrawal and will pass.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello again, just to qualify what I said about ‘if that is what it is’, sometimes those symptoms can be something else like a drop in blood pressure. Your diet looks okay and, yes, you should cut out the fizzy drinks as there is lots of evidence that they increase hunger by making the body think it is getting something sweet and then when it doesn’t get the sugar kick it sets up a craving pattern. There are lots of cold drinks you can have, especially water. Try it with a sprig of mint and a couple of slices of cucumber, I have mine with pure lemon juice (out of the lemon not a bottle) or buy an infuser so you can put in your own fruit like slightly crushed raspberries or strawberries for a fruity taste with few calories.

• posted by Alibobs
    on

2 weeks in and I just wanted to say ‘thanks for the sound, calming advice’ and I’m back on an even keel now. The ghosts of headaches passed after a few days, the shakes too. I still get occasional sweats with mild exertion but they aren’t as pronounced. I’ve only had 1 migraine and whilst is was quite severe by my recent standards, it was triggered by hormones so I’m much relieved and confident I can manage if the 8 weeks if my self-discipline or willpower holds out.

Cheers.

• posted by Alibobs
    on

Oh, and I have cut back on the fizzy drinks sunshine-girl. You can credit yourself with that step forward; you reminded me of things I already knew but was choosing to ignore!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It does sound like the headaches and shakes were carb withdrawal related then, I am glad you are back on an even keel and are keeping on keeping on. Let us know how you are getting on, it isn’t all about the whole 8 weeks, you may hit many mini-goals during the journey or experience non scale related victories or NSV’s and we always love hearing about those.

Please log in or register to post a reply.