Losing weight to avoid diabetes- I have a feeling this diet will be the last!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Yellowbrickroad
    on

Today I began the BSD. I hadn’t intended to buy another diet book but I read the first few pages and was drawn in. I think this one makes a lot of sense. My mother is T2 and I am about 15 kgs over weight. This time I have a good feeling that this diet is the one for me. I am also motivated to change right now as my mum has just come out of hospital and I don’t want my health problems to escalate as hers have done. She is nearly 70 and almost 50kgs overweight. I am seriously worried about her and would like to have her around for many more years to come. She has given up on trying to change. Perhaps if I can have success, she may also be tempted to try it.

Any ideas or help you can offer along the way will be greatly appreciated.

• posted by lindab15
    on

Good luck ! I am also starting this diet today, having read it and thought it’s exactly the right approach for me and makes tons of sense.

My Mum died aged 67, loads of health problems but – in my opinion – the majority of them stemming from her problems with T2 diabetes over the years. It made everything either worse or just harder for her.

I’m overweight and having just turned 50 (around the age my Mum was diagnosed T2), realised I really REALLY need to do something if I’m to have a reasonable standard of health in the coming years.

I’ve had a look at some of the recipes on here – wish there was a way to save or bookmark them – and will definitely be trying them. Had a one-egg cheese omelette for lunch and got a chilli in the slow cooker for tea. Might try the flat breads recipe so I don’t miss the rice and/or chips that would normally accompany it in our house !

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Jump right in and do it!!!
    If you can stick to the plan you should get the results you want to see (Mum too)
    Read all the success stories on the forums, understand the hitches and pitfalls, use the recipe section, and don’t be afraid to ask questions, we all had to have day 1 ourselves.
    Post your progress so we can celebrate with you or even offer the odd commiseration but never forget, you are not alone, there are many people on the path heading for the same destination and we all want to see you there with us.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

lindab
    you could just highlight the text in a recipe, copy it, and then paste into a notepad doc to save on your PC.

• posted by Yellowbrickroad
    on

Thanks for the tips and support already lindab and Bill1954. All the best on your journey with this and I look forward to hearing about your progress and sharing mine.
    Cheers 🙂

• posted by lindab15
    on

Fab idea Bill1954 – will do!

• posted by andersn1974
    on

Reading your post was like I’d written it. My mum is also T2 and overweight… although now fighting lung cancer too. I’m not diabetic but definitely addicted to cars (sugar mainly). I’ve tried nearly every diet going, and been successful. But- I’ve never managed to maintain it as a lifestyle. Always slipped back to ‘normal’ eating. I am following a low FODMAP plan as I am intolerant to lots of things. The BSD seems to fit this well. Feeling positive about this one.

• posted by Casadesante
    on

Hi, I am also taking Low Fodmap Breakfast due to having Overweight. It is very low in calorie. But I would recommend you to take this diet with Full guidance and support of a any dietitian. Because this diet having many restrictions. The low FODMAP Diet shows promise for relief of Overweight patients in Pennsylvania. You can take some low FODMAP foods to help create a delicious low FODMAP breakfast like Gluten-free bread products,Sweeteners such as sugar, stevia, or sucralose, Dark chocolate or cocoa powder, Espresso coffee or instant coffee. If you Following Low FODMAP Plans & Meal. You can Read some Blogs here https://casadesante.com/blogs/low-fodmap-life/easy-low-fodmap-breakfast-ideas

Hope so It will Help You

• posted by Squidge
    on

Welcome to the new starters!

Yellowbrickroad, I’ve just posted elsewhere that my husband wasn’t keen to try this diet and only did so to support me (didn’t cut calories, but mostly eating the same foods as me). As he found it worked for both of us (I wasn’t very healthy before, much better now and we’re both now in the healthy weight range) he’s adopted it more fully. I hope that when your mum sees the improvement in you, and that it’s not all that hard to change to eating this way, she’ll try it too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.