Losing inches but not pounds

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by deewallace
    on

I started BSD on 22.11.18 after having a range of blood tests for another reason. Blood sugar came back too high (almost diabetic). I was horrified but knew I had been kidding myself about my weight increase over the last two years and was ready to give the diet a go. It was my GP who suggested I have a look at it before anything else was done. In the first 3 weeks I lost 1 stone and didn’t feel hungry etc. Joined a gym on 16.12.18 and have been going regularly to do a range of classes. I have stuck to the diet religiously (even Christmas Day) but since I started to exercise regularly I have only lost 10 and have been at the same weight (exactly to the ounce) for a week now. Feel really good and have lost 6 inches from my waist (general slim down in hips, arms, legs etc). Clothes are very loose now and I am able to wear clothes one size smaller. So all looking good. I know I will start to loose weight again and the slow down is normal. What worries me is how will the lack of weight lose affect the repeat blood test I am having at the end of February? I am not really interested in what the scales say, but don’t want my efforts to be wasted. I had planned initially to lose 32 pounds so only 8 to go but what is likely to happen to my blood result if I stick at a 24 pound loss? Anyone had anything similar happen? Any reassurance appreciated. Thanks.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Dee!

You’re doing very well and as you say it’s quite normal for weight loss to slow down or even stop after a while – and you’re right that if you stick with the diet then you’ll start losing again.

Personally I’ve not had any blood tests done (except thyroid levels which don’t seem to be affected by the diet at all) so can’t say if a period of not losing weight gives different results than when you are – but I’d expect the blood sugar levels to continue to show an improvement as you won’t be consuming anything to push them up.

In any case, you’ll very likely have lost more weight by the end of February.

Your efforts aren’t being wasted!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Dee, I’m on my way out but just wanted to say a couple of things quickly.

I’m type II diabetic and I tested myself every day at the beginning of doing BSD and my blood sugar levels went down much quicker than my weight loss so my first follow-up hba1c test at the doctors showed my bgls had dropped even though I was still quite a bit overweight (I did 800 & 20g-25g carb per day). I’ve read on here of other people having similar drops in bgls before they reach their weight loss goal.

I also started at gym etc and found that my weight loss slowed down in the weeks I went to the gym most.

My blood sugar levels are now back in the normal range. The diet works. You’re doing great – and it’ll be worth it. xx

Edited: sorry, meant to say I kept my carbs that low as my diagnostic HbA1c was very high – not everyone needs to keep them that low and it still works.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi deewallace, The weight shown on the scale consists of water, muscle, bone and fat. – As muscle and bone are both more dense than fat a lb of either takes up much less space than a lb of fat. – Therefore, if you are loosing inches but not weight and exercising, its reasonable to assume that your body is reducing fat stores and increasing bone density and/or muscles which are both good news for long term health.

• posted by deewallace
    on

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice. I will keep going until I have the repeat blood test done. Fingers crossed it’s working. All the best.

Please log in or register to post a reply.