Looking for BSD step buddies – S Health

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi everyone. I am currently on the 5th week of the fast 800 and am currently looking to up my exercise. I am afraid I have never been overly active. ….ah make that active. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚ Have been using an app called S Health to monitor BGL’s stress levels, heart rate, coffes drunk, water drunk, sleep patterns and more since starting and found it an awesome reporting tool.

The app has a step counter and allows you to join challenges. They have one starting Nov 1 called Moonlight November. Would love to have some BSD step buddies to walk with. I know it would really encourage me. If you are interested please respond and we will work out how to link up as ‘friends’ so we can see each other in the challenge.

S Health is available from your usual app store for FREE and there are versions for both android and apple.

Please join me. ๐Ÿ˜† The more the merrier! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Shazzam
    on

Hi Panda Bear, I started the fast 800 last week. I’m enjoying it so far but definitely need to do some exercise too. I have a desk job and a fairly inactive lifestyle. I will download the App and get myself set up – happy to join you from tomorrow if you’re still looking for buddies. Thanks x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Shazzam. Welcome! I am so excited you want to join me. You are my very first step buddy! We should be great inspiration for each other too as it looks like our lives are similar when it comes to activity. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was starting to think no one was going to take me up on my offer. ๐Ÿ˜† Let me know when you get the app setup and we will organise getting connected. Shouldn’t be too difficult. โ˜บ

• posted by Esnecca
    on

A word of advice from someone who started out not so much sedentary as glued to the couch. Get good running shoes, the best ones you can afford. I don’t mean go to a department store and pick up a pair in a big name brand that appear to fit well enough when you take 10 steps in a circle. I mean go to a store that specializes in running gear, get your gait analyzed and have the shop pro pull you a few models. Don’t even ask about color or design. The only thing you need to care about is how they feel on your feet. When you have that “aaaaaahhh” moment, buy two pairs of that shoe and two pairs of nicely padded socks.

It won’t be cheap, but you will never regret a single penny of the cost once you hit the trails. When I first began walking I could barely get around the block, so I didn’t really notice my feet. When I managed to cross the mile mark is when I realized my old sneakers were not cutting it. My feet hurt constantly and I developed blisters and calluses. Finally I invested in the right shoe and within 2 days I went from walking 5,000 steps to 10,000 to 12,000. Literally a week later I did my first 20,000. It wasn’t even hard.

Six months later, I’d ground the sole of that original pair so far down that I had to replace them. I regretted not buying two so I could have worn them on alternate days and extended their lifespan. Now I have four pair. Two in regular rotation, two backups.

Walking is a total blast, stimulating mentally as well as physically. Protect your feet and have a great time!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

That is excellent advice Esnecca! I buy the same brand of workout shoes (Avias) in the same size every 8 weeks or so — I have three pairs of workout shoes, three pairs of hiking shoes and two pairs of garden shoes and one pair of mud shoes and after that, I throw them away!! Every pair goes through a couple of “lifetimes” — but I agree — buy high quality shoes, good socks (love Smartwool) and go outside and have fun!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.